7D Raw Thread

Started by noisyboy, August 05, 2013, 11:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mucher

7D is now doing like 2054x XXX @2.35:1, at around maximum 77 - 82 mb/s in crop mode, but that crop factor is 5184/2054 x 1.6 = 4.038, that means that 7D will lose that wide angel side. To compensate, running to maximum 25XX x 1XXX will require the write speed over 110mb/s, which is around almost 50% more throughput than it is now.  At 2.5k, it will acquire a crop factor like 5184/2500 x 1.6 = 3.3, so a ultra-wide lense like EF-S10-22 will get a horizonal viewangel equivalent to approximately 33mm, which will make 7D quite amiable.

CaronteGF

Quote from: mucher on November 18, 2013, 01:07:15 PM
7D is now doing like 2054x XXX @2.35:1, at around maximum 77 - 82 mb/s in crop mode, but that crop factor is 5184/2054 x 1.6 = 4.038, that means that 7D will lose that wide angel side. To compensate, running to maximum 25XX x 1XXX will require the write speed over 110mb/s, which is around almost 50% more throughput than it is now.  At 2.5k, it will acquire a crop factor like 5184/2500 x 1.6 = 3.3, so a ultra-wide lense like EF-S10-22 will get a horizonal viewangel equivalent to approximately 33mm, which will make 7D quite amiable.

Thank you very much.
One last question. At 1080p 24fps (Official Canon I mean), is the record some like continous? (Obviously untill 4GB/Max Fat32)

mucher

Quote from: CaronteGF on November 18, 2013, 03:03:10 PM
Thank you very much.
One last question. At 1080p 24fps (Official Canon I mean), is the record some like continous? (Obviously untill 4GB/Max Fat32)

I haven't tried it continuously this long. But theoretically, provided the stock h.264 capture is around 48Mb/s and there is a limit of maximum minutes that 7D can record (say 5 or 10 minutes? I have to consult the manual), I reckon that the recording might very likely cut itself out way before it reaches the 4GB limit. So technically speaking, 7D is more like a still camera with limited capacity for video capture rather than a video camera.

dpmaia

Quote from: mucher on November 18, 2013, 05:10:23 PM
I haven't tried it continuously this long. But theoretically, provided the stock h.264 capture is around 48Mb/s and there is a limit of maximum minutes that 7D can record (say 5 or 10 minutes? I have to consult the manual), I reckon that the recording might very likely cut itself out way before it reaches the 4GB limit. So technically speaking, 7D is more like a still camera with limited capacity for video capture rather than a video camera.

It's possible to record continuously till the card is full. Files are spanned and then reconnected in RAWMagic. The only thing that happens is losing the last 50 or 60 frames when it reaches the end of the card (for me is a bunch of black frames in the end). I'm using Transcend 64 1000x with the latest almost stable build. I'm still getting some pink frames (always the first frame) in some of the shots.

chris bouk

Pelican

... there is a limit of maximum minutes that 7D can record (say 5 or 10 minutes? I have to consult the manual), I reckon that the recording might very likely cut itself out way before it reaches the 4GB limit.
No, it is no 5 or 10 minutes limit.
The limit is 29:59 min or 4GB (which comes first).

So technically speaking, 7D is more like a still camera with limited capacity for video capture rather than a video camera.
As all the other DSLRs like the 5D3.
EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5, EOS 100 + lenses (10mm to 300mm), 600EX, 550EX, YN600EX x 3
EOScard, EOS DSLR firmwares, ARMu, NiControl, etc.: http://pel.hu/down

Brawl

this morning I bought the 7D to learn raw video I'm very happy! :) I waited literally years before to choose which DSLR to buy, I hope to contribute with my experiments in the next future! :)

arrinkiiii

U welcome Brawl  :D  hope you enjoy the ride  :D

(damn canon... selling and selling)

Brawl

Quote from: arrinkiiii on November 19, 2013, 01:54:51 PM
U welcome Brawl  :D  hope you enjoy the ride  :D

(damn canon... selling and selling)
thank you !!!! :)

(shhhh I bought it used :) )

obiyan19

600D + 7D + 5D2  // 24-105 L is ~ 100-400 L is ~ 18-200 is ~ 18-55 isII ~ sigma 50 f1.4 EX

davejay

CaronteGF

I download yesterday the last Tragic Lantern (17Nov) if you can´t wait i can upload to you, but i not tested it yet.

Fringuello

I have problems with premiere pro 7.1 cc should open the suquenza dng, but it seems that dng created by magic lantern alter the metadata?
someone has the same problem?
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9345.msg89144#new
Italy - canon 7D

spencerking

Should I be using the raw_rec module or the MLV_rec - what happens if I have both activated? Also this is my first post on the forum and Id like to say thanks to everyone who has propelled ML to where it is today. I wish I could donate but, Im poor. I can promise that Im going to do my best to provide useful testing and tutorials though. Thanks again.

- Spencer King

javyelow

Hi everyone!! i download the last magic latern!! and i prove it with my new 1000x komputerbay card

i have some questions please help me! :-)

- i can have 91 mb/s with the card, is this ok? no bad pixels

- i only cant record mlv, how can i configure raw recording?

- is it posible a simple way to work with mlv in mac? snow leopard

-when i shoot raw (mlv) the maximun sice that i can choose is 1728x1156 how can i choose other sices? now i have this in continous recording maybe i can go i litle bit higher

-how can i change the fps? could i get 50fps for example?

-how could i make timelapses?¿? where is the option?

thanks a lot!! it works is amacing :-)

thanks!!

thanks a lot!!

spencerking

Quote from: javyelow on November 19, 2013, 09:46:19 PM
Hi everyone!! i download the last magic latern!! and i prove it with my new 1000x komputerbay card

i have some questions please help me! :-)

- i can have 91 mb/s with the card, is this ok? no bad pixels

- i only cant record mlv, how can i configure raw recording?

- is it posible a simple way to work with mlv in mac? snow leopard

-when i shoot raw (mlv) the maximun sice that i can choose is 1728x1156 how can i choose other sices? now i have this in continous recording maybe i can go i litle bit higher

-how can i change the fps? could i get 50fps for example?

-how could i make timelapses?¿? where is the option?

thanks a lot!! it works is amacing :-)

thanks!!

thanks a lot!!

In regards to working in MAC with MLV - I just saw this post :
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7802.0  - mlv2dng for mac

idealsceneprod

Hey y'all, I just wrote up a little something explaining my current 7D RAW workflow in Windows 8. I created a VB Script to copy the .RAW files from the CF card, and then convert them to .DNG or CineForm .AVI

It's still in early stages of development, but it's usable -- I wanted something I could use in the field to offload cards ASAP and be able to erase them and keep going, while the conversion process takes place. This way I can take my little netbook with me on location to dump the footage. It's pretty easy since VBScript supports drag and drop onto the .VBS icon.

I have a detailed explanation on my blog if anyone is interested:
http://valgameiro.com/my-workflow-for-magic-lantern-raw-on-the-canon-7d/
Val Gameiro
Writer, Director, Filmmaker
Austin, Texas

idealsceneprod

On another topic, the URL I had for the nightly 7D builds doesn't seem to be working. Does anybody know why and what the new URL is?

http://tl.bot-fly.com/builds_2013.09/

Thanks a lot,
Val Gameiro
Writer, Director, Filmmaker
Austin, Texas

obiyan19

yes, does not work for me too. So, where can we get the lastest nightly build now ?
600D + 7D + 5D2  // 24-105 L is ~ 100-400 L is ~ 18-200 is ~ 18-55 isII ~ sigma 50 f1.4 EX

arrinkiiii

Quote from: idealsceneprod on November 20, 2013, 02:09:34 AM
Hey y'all, I just wrote up a little something explaining my current 7D RAW workflow in Windows 8. I created a VB Script to copy the .RAW files from the CF card, and then convert them to .DNG or CineForm .AVI

It's still in early stages of development, but it's usable -- I wanted something I could use in the field to offload cards ASAP and be able to erase them and keep going, while the conversion process takes place. This way I can take my little netbook with me on location to dump the footage. It's pretty easy since VBScript supports drag and drop onto the .VBS icon.

I have a detailed explanation on my blog if anyone is interested:
http://valgameiro.com/my-workflow-for-magic-lantern-raw-on-the-canon-7d/

Looks good  :)

Yes, the link for the nightlies are down... let's wait for 1% to see what happen.

1%

Its down while the server is being fixed, according to the EOSM thread. I don't run it myself so can't really do anything.

hdclip

Hi idealsceneprod!!!!!! I have this error
Canon 7D Sandisk Extreme 60MB/seg, Lexar 32Gb X1000

arrinkiiii

Quote from: 1% on November 20, 2013, 06:42:42 PM
Its down while the server is being fixed, according to the EOSM thread. I don't run it myself so can't really do anything.

sorry 1% i  thought you run/owne the website   :D

Cypressentgrp.com

Does anyone have a copy of the latest Nightly build, since the server is down?

DFM

Sorry, but due to time pressures only Blackmagic CinemaDNG files are supported in the 7.1 release. Other flavors will follow soon.

Quote from: Fringuello on November 19, 2013, 06:26:27 PM
I have problems with premiere pro 7.1 cc should open the suquenza dng, but it seems that dng created by magic lantern alter the metadata?
someone has the same problem?
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9345.msg89144#new