7D Raw Thread

Started by noisyboy, August 05, 2013, 11:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mityazabuben

raw2dng automatically converts several files of one continious "footage". But, I prefer raw2cdng...

Lanre

RAWmagic actually now converted the .R00 -suffix, but the resulting dng_s looked like this (see the attachment). All the shorter clips look just fine..

M09-1821_00011 by andymou, on Flickr

.. Any idea, what might be the problem??

1%

Old tools? Mac issue? Does it play back continuously if you use MLV_PLAY in camera?

Lanre

No, it doesn't play back with the mlv_play on. I did not have the mlv_rec loaded when recording.. could that be the issue? I was a bit confused when the mlv_rec and raw_rec modules were both loaded since there was two setting pages for raw_video and so I took off the mlv_rec..

arrinkiiii

Today i went record some raw_mo and i forgot that i can't leave the card finnish while is recording, it will be a corrupted file and also create a rar file (don't know why) ...if i remember good, you can recover this file, i think you just need to create the footer of that file for be readable. 

Not exist any solution for this?

My card is a 8GB that give's me 2m and 32seconds... i can see this in the Lv and stop the recording. But today almost every rec that i done i forgot to stop it....

1%

Record a new file with the same settings and then you can copy/paste the header onto the combined .raw file ie... raw+r00+r01+ header.. it starts at rawM

I thought raw_rec actually stopped when the card was full, mlv_rec didn't

No, it doesn't play back with the mlv_play on.... what does it do?

mlv_play = play/raw or mlv in camera color or not
mlv_rec = raw rec but records MLV, don't enable both

dmk

Quote from: Lanre on November 09, 2013, 09:20:01 PM
Hi!

I have tested the RAW recording function with my 7D with good success but today I recorded first time longer clips, like over 3 minutes. I'm unable to convert the bigger clips to DNG-files (I tried both RawMagic and Raw2dng). On the CFcard the longer clips also have one or two .R00 -files with the same file name. I have read these threads and remember someone mentioning a file size limit.. Could you please help me and tell if there is a way to convert those bigger files to Dng sequences. Thanks!

(I used the latest 8Nov built)

I think you first need to merge them into one file

On Windows it's like:

copy /b "C:\path to your files\clip1.raw"+"C:\path to your files\clip1.r00"+"C:\path to your files\clip1.r01"+"C:\path to your files\clip1.r02" "C:\path to your files\clip-final-merged.raw"

Not sure about Mac, but without testing my guess is something like this in terminal should work:

cat "/path to your files/clip1.raw" "/path to your files/clip1.r00" "/path to your files/clip1.r01" "/path to your files/clip1.r02" "/path to your files/clip-final-merged.raw"

Then you can run raw2dng: raw2dng clip-final-merged.raw clip-final

Lanre

dmk, thanks. Without any knowledge of scripting I typed that to terminal and it started calculating.. Let's see, what happens..

arrinkiiii

Quote from: 1% on November 10, 2013, 02:29:56 AM
Record a new file with the same settings and then you can copy/paste the header onto the combined .raw file ie... raw+r00+r01+ header.. it starts at rawM

I thought raw_rec actually stopped when the card was full, mlv_rec didn't

No, it doesn't play back with the mlv_play on.... what does it do?

mlv_play = play/raw or mlv in camera color or not
mlv_rec = raw rec but records MLV, don't enable both

lol damn...Ok, i have never recorded in raw more than 2 minutes (8GB card), yesterday i have made that tests and in my pc the files are showed with one RAR file and one RAW file, that i can open the rar or play the raw file.

After read your response i figure out that is a file that are separate/slipted (no more than 4GB)... Today more test and went to see the file in camera and show up the correct extencion .r00 and .raw    ....dahhhhh   :D 

Going to try if i can joint the files, trying to understand  copy /b "C:\path to your files\clip1.raw"+"C:\path to your files\clip1.r00"+"C:\path to your files\clip1.r01"+"C:\path to your files\clip1.r02" "C:\path to your files\clip-final-merged.raw"

froess

Quote from: blackjack102 on November 06, 2013, 05:44:24 AM
Yes, it can. You need to play around and find what you like.

I used 720 at 60 fps and no crop. I can't stand with crop but you can use crop and higher resolution. I made two videos with 60 fps but different post process:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6qjWMT68XU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9QfdtYAlAQ

Hi!

Thank you so much for your answer.

Can you please tell me which was the max resolution you were able to achieve with 60 fps and what card are you using?

Thanks

dmk

@arrinkii - it totally works. I did a shoot the other day with a few 12/16GB takes (ended up recording 20+ min of material) using build from oct 31 or so.

I don't know if it was the most efficient, but my workflow was like this, for what it's worth:

(note: I prepared some of these commands by macos and find/replace in notepad++, then adding/removing R02 etc. as needed. But this can/should be scripted...)

1) create a folder for each base clipname and copy those files to their respective folders.

I forgot if they begin with MVI, but assuming... if we have like MVI-116.RAW, MVI-116.R00, etc. and also MVI-117.RAW, MVI-117.R00 then I'd have two folders: 116 and 117. I then copy all the MVI-116* to 116/ and all the MVI-117* to 117/ and so on

2) run a command for each folder like the following:

copy /b "C:\My Videos\DNG\116\MVI-116.RAW"+"C:\My Videos\DNG\116\MVI-116.R00"+"C:\My Videos\DNG\116\MVI-116.R01" "C:\My Videos\DNG\116\MVI-116-MERGED.RAW"
copy /b "C:\My Videos\DNG\117\MVI-117.RAW"+"C:\My Videos\DNG\117\MVI-117.R00"+"C:\My Videos\DNG\117\MVI-117.R01" "C:\My Videos\DNG\117\MVI-117-MERGED.RAW"

3) run raw2dng for each merged file in each folder, using same prefix

raw2dng MVI-116-MERGED.RAW 116
raw2dng MVI-117-MERGED.RAW 117

4) I deleted the RAW and R00 files here to save space.

5) now each folder (116, 117, etc.) contains exactly one dng sequence and no other files

6) open after effects and import sequences. I did this one at a time clicking on first file in each folder and import as sequence. Make sure project settings are to interpret sequences as 23.976 or whatever you shot at and that project settings are 32-bit

7) grade each DNG using  Adobe Camera Raw. Note- you don't need to do this in import. You can always right click on a file and change the ACR settings at any time... I think it's under something like "more info" or "interpret footage" or something. Anyway, it's two clicks away from the library.

8) bring each sequence into a comp, maybe do some additional grading with other plugins (Magic Bullet, Synthetic Aperture, etc.)

9) on filesystem- create new "GRADED PSD" folder with subfolders to match the dng: "116", "117", etc.

10) Export each comp as PSD sequence with Trillions of colors (I know PNG and TIFF are more open standards, but bottom line is I've found PSD to be the safest for not unexpectedly giving gamma shifts and things like that). This can be made easier by setting up an export preset in AE, then you just need to select it and the output path. This can be done via render queue and as a batch while you go do other things (it will take a while)

11) If it's a small project and you know you don't need the DNG anymore, delete those folders too now to save space (steps 1-8 can be easily/quickly recovered if you save the AE project and have the original RAW/R00 files off the card)

12) Bring PSD sequence into Premiere

13) Render

14) Edit

15) Export directly from Premiere as H.264

The above worked for me at least. There's a little bit of flicker again and I'm really not sure where that's coming from... but the truth is... it actually makes it feel a little more filmic to me, like it's being projected with a real analog projector or something :) It's a pleasant flicker to my eye, though I'd like to choose it...

I saw somewhere that it might be due to using ACR... which I really don't understand, why would exposure affect flickering? I'm much more comfortable using AE than Resolve so I really hope that's not it and it was some other mistake on my part...

Unfortunately I can't post the clip online since it was for a neighbor's family video and they only want it to stay for family viewing. But the look is so great, super rich colors and just and overall gorgeous tone. I screwed up a bit of the lighting and was able to recover some blown out highlights too :D

Aquablue71

Hi,

i just have a strange behavior. Maybe i am just to stupid, but right now i am not shure where my error is.
When in record a normal movie (not raw) i always get the message: Sound disabled. What do i have to define, that record normal with sound?
Thanks for the help

mrnv45

disable raw_record and reset

also make sure RAW VIDEO is OFF before you switch over

Lanre

Thanks so much, guys! Merging the .R00 and .RAW files in Terminal did the trick and saved my footage!!

arrinkiiii

Thanks dmk, im going try tomorrow, if i can understand that lines and do it  :D   Yes, should exist some kind of script or some gui...

From my experience and what i can remember... Recording H.264 you need to disable raw video in ML menu, if the sound show up disable you can enable in ML menu or in the canon menu.

1%

Things that disable sound: wav recording, fps,

hdclip

What do you think of the efficiency of raw ml and an external monitor by hdmi?I miss it...
Canon 7D Sandisk Extreme 60MB/seg, Lexar 32Gb X1000

Deem

dfgh

Here is something I shot recently using ML 7D RAW

http://vimeo.com/79097919

mucher

Quote from: dfgh on November 11, 2013, 04:47:32 PM

Looking fantastic and beautiful. May I know if you have used the VAF filter?  Because I do worry a little about the moire effect on 7D, but the VAF filter price tag is outrageous for a poor student like me, and it is in back order. Great thanks.

sanderbontje

Wow, excellent! Lovely play of light and dark shadows. I love it.

stevelucky

Has there been any change in using 128gb cards for raw recording? I've been using the 64gb Komoiterbay and loving it, but I'd love to get the 128gb card if it could support the same speeds running ML and recording raw.

mucher

1% seemingly have said that exFAT filesystem is existing in 7D's firmware, but obviously broken, so he might somehow need a 128gb CF card to test with.

OSCA LEE

DUDE...THAT IS MAGIC.....

VERY WELL DONE I AM A BIG FAN OF THE OL TIMEY FILMS....WITH RAW I THOUGHT I COULD REACH IN AND TOUCH THEM

arrinkiiii

Today i have try the new mlv build... and no more pink frame. With the ML ViewSharp i didn't see no pink/corrupted frames, not even the first (need to check with mlv2dng for see if the first frame come pink/corrupted or not.

-Wend the card finish, camera stop automatically and the file it's good to use but camera start to act strange. Need to shut off and on to stay normal.

-Wend you record mlv files the bottom of Lv still got this distracting buffer/idle/etc stuff....  Can't have a option if you want you can put the Lv like the raw_mo? (with the camera icon)

-Mlv_player it's very, very, very cool thing... you can now scroll your raw files, just need the delete button...