7D Raw Thread

Started by noisyboy, August 05, 2013, 11:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pulala_8

dutchguy

Very nice, what did you use to pan the camera?

pulala_8

I use my manfroto 701 head, or if you mean the slider  i use a very cheap slider Genesis ADO 60

szigiszmund

Quote from: arrinkiiii on November 04, 2013, 07:34:02 PM
I think if it's on wend recorded the sharpness will be in the clip... and i think it's not good as in post. Like sharpening in camera, not good.

Digic peaking cause recording problems when enabled.

Quote from: 1% on October 01, 2013, 02:29:15 AM
Yea, on multiple cams it causes crashes or write speed loss... on 7D its also not playing nice with FPS override.

1%

I've set it to turn off when recording, should be portable, as you can see, works on 7D.... Actually *may* be able to get away with it doing only slave side on 7D but then your video preview will have artificial sharpness not actually there. I don't think it ever got recorded into the clips.

ddp

Quote from: pulala_8 on November 04, 2013, 08:07:12 PM
Hello guys . Take a look in a small test i did.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNeueXROCI4&feature=youtu.be

Nice, did you get continous recording at this resolution?

pulala_8

Yes i had no problem at all and i am using a transcend 600x 32gb card

ted ramasola

Quote from: 1% on November 05, 2013, 12:15:17 AM
I've set it to turn off when recording, should be portable, as you can see, works on 7D.... Actually *may* be able to get away with it doing only slave side on 7D but then your video preview will have artificial sharpness not actually there. I don't think it ever got recorded into the clips.

@1%
I think one of the best uses for digic peaking is when shooting hand held and focusing by eye. This becomes harder when digic peaking is off when recording. Its one of my personal reasons I loved it when it was implemented as it was faster, less distracting than the old peaking. I use it all the time on the 5dmkII. I hope you can fix it to be on while recording on the 7D.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

idealsceneprod

Error 18 found while recording RAW at 1344x756 on a Transcend 400x 16GB card.

I started testing with the highest bitrate to see where/when it would crap out, and how long I could shoot at which resolution.

It started at 100 odd frames and went up to 300.

The second time I ran it with the same resolution I did not get the error, and recording stopped automagically at frame 309 with 1 skipped frame.
Val Gameiro
Writer, Director, Filmmaker
Austin, Texas

mrnv45

1446x626

how can i get my quality crispy and sharp?

i used film convert - premiere

pulala_8

Maybe someone with more experience can recommend to us which are the best settings in magic lantern so we can have the best image quality from our raw material ? also In which bit rate is the best to shoot?   

tonybeccar

Quote from: ted ramasola on November 05, 2013, 01:57:48 AM
@1%
I think one of the best uses for digic peaking is when shooting hand held and focusing by eye. This becomes harder when digic peaking is off when recording. Its one of my personal reasons I loved it when it was implemented as it was faster, less distracting than the old peaking. I use it all the time on the 5dmkII. I hope you can fix it to be on while recording on the 7D.

Yes, yes and yes! I LOVE and MISS Digic Peaking. I can't focus without it nowadays.. I got way used to it, I think it's one of the most functional tools in ML. So there *is* a way? Before it used to work like a charm.. does it conflict with FPS Override? Well in that case i'll turn it off (I never use FPS override BTW..). But when you are on a run n' gun type of shooting it is awesome!

Pleeeeeease can you bring it back?? :) I remember it used to make the camera hang when you stop recording.. but that was after some implementations of the fps override..

Thanks SO muchhh!!!

1%

I'll test what it does on slave only.

antonjiang

HI! Guys
     I brought the CF card 160mb/s, but it just can record raw video by  1720 resolutions, who can tell me about it, Can i record high quality?

froess

Hello,

I'm new in the forum. After some exausting time searching for 60p in the 7d raw video topic, i haven't found anything.

Is it possible to record 60p ar 1280x720 resolution?

Thank you.

Froess

mucher

I am thinking of the same thing, there should be more options than 24/25/30fps, and more options in resolutions than from 20xx directly to 25xx too, and it is a better thing before having found ways to let the camera chewing out extra few kb/s ;D

1%

You can record whatever FPS you want, it takes a cut but I can do the 2.5K at like 17fps continuously.

froess

but is it possible 60fps in 720 or higher?

OSCA LEE

Quote from: dmk on November 03, 2013, 04:56:23 AM
Sorry, by hacks display I meant this display which is showing on my screen when preview is set to "ML Greyscale":

Good Sir...could you or any of the gentlemen direct me to the proper path to get the raw recording icon shown on your camera

thanks in advance

1%

Quotebut is it possible 60fps in 720 or higher?

Do the math I guess.

MercifulOne

DiscountRamps.com has been watching the RAW 7D thread for some time now. We were a bit hesitant to use the hack at first but we are SO glad we made the switch. We are still learning so please bear with us. This was our first RAW video shoot. Everything was shot using Transend 16gb & 32gb 400x cards @ 1600x900. Because of the speed of our cards we were unable to shoot at the full res settings. New cards are definitely in our future. So far everything has been working great.

While shooting the video we had a bit of an epiphany!! We realized if we shoot at a higher shutter speed we could get a shallower depth of field (No need for ND filters) and we could then add the motion blur back in during the post production process. This would also allow our photography department to easily pull RAW stills from the video that would be sharp and would have no motion blur. This is HUGE!! Granted the RAW stills are small, they are still very usable for the web.

When converting all the RAW footage to DNGs we tried RAW2DNG, Batchlor, and RAW2cDNG. From our experience Batchlor is the best option so far. RAW2DNG was to time consuming and RAW2cDNG has more moire and aliasing then the other processes. Not sure why this is?? Has anyone else tested this??
We also had a few pink frames here and there but after switching the card to warmup after boot up, solved everything.

Once all footage was converted we used LR and CameraRAW to do the processing. We had a few issues with LR causing flickering because of Shadows and Highlights and then we noticed CameraRAW was causing the same thing to happen. After some playing around to decided to go with curve adjustments. That did the trick - No More Flickering! After some trial and error we figured everything out and even got a decent workflow going. All in all everything is working great! ML RAW is a game changer and we can't begin to thank you guys enough for everything you do!

Check out the video and let us know what you guys think. Any input or help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks guys

1%

QuoteGranted the RAW stills are small, they are still very usable for the web.

You can cheat and upscale, someone got the 1920x1080 up to 3 or 4K on the 5DIII, assuming 1728x1152 can do as much or you can do whatever crop mode can pull off w/ super wides.

mucher

I would not call ML a hack, and it is more like an application running on top of the camera's OS, just like IE on top of MS Windows. And it should be perfectly legal software too, because Canon encourages these kinds of developments by issuing developing kits (not for free man). The codes, with a fraction that I read--but I am not computer science major, only read some books in this field for a few years in my spare time, look quite neat and well documented with //comments.  I think that the ML teams guys are well-trained and they know what they are doing. This project looks better and better, and it sounds very promising.  I would congrate them all.

dmk

Quote from: OSCA LEE on November 05, 2013, 04:14:01 PM
Good Sir...could you or any of the gentlemen direct me to the proper path to get the raw recording icon shown on your camera

thanks in advance

It just shows whenever I record in raw... is it recording raw for you but not showing the icon? Strange...

MercifulOne

Quote from: 1% on November 05, 2013, 05:52:53 PM
You can cheat and upscale, someone got the 1920x1080 up to 3 or 4K on the 5DIII, assuming 1728x1152 can do as much or you can do whatever crop mode can pull off w/ super wides.

Thanks 1%! We'll give that a try