7D Raw Thread

Started by noisyboy, August 05, 2013, 11:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1%

Thats weird because a normal power off doesn't do it for me. I have to pull the card for it to get stuck. Then when I put it back in the cam won't turn on without battery pull. Battery I'm using now was last charged 2 or 3 days ago and I was shooting stills.

hdclip

I've got some results by switching to photo before the turn off and also go through the video mode that photo before but not always with success. Maybe did wrong the setting of the autoboot on power up???
Canon 7D Sandisk Extreme 60MB/seg, Lexar 32Gb X1000

mrnv45

is there a different converter than raw2dng or RAWmagic for MAC ..

raw2dng - freezes in certain folders half way through
RAWmagic works great - but miles dont bring up CAMERA RAW in after effects, nor does it load in Resolve.  It crashes on folder selection

mrnv45

Quote from: DFM on November 02, 2013, 10:10:04 PM
Camera Raw doesn't have a separate installer, so it doesn't have a separate activation system. It requires that a parent product be activated first (e.g. for Camera Raw CC it would be Photoshop CC or After Effects CC). I'm not sure of your setup as you previously referred to CC and CS6, and if there are mixtures of versions on the same machine it can confuse the license service. Please post your question to the Adobe product forums and we'll help resolve the problem over there.

i uninstalled EVERYTHINg and started over with CS6 AE,PS,PrPro,Illustrator,
i downloaded the Camera Raw + DNG converter 7.1  and then updated to 8.1 since 7.1 was the last CAMERA RAW downloader i saw.

they all work in photoshop. with ACR.  Bridge wont open the camera raw plugin.  it says i need to run a application that has it atleast once. but i have ..

dmk

Quote from: 1% on November 01, 2013, 09:15:59 PM
It doesn't actually work since the active YUV regs are on the master, haven't tried there since a bit of code has to go into raw_rec further balooning it. If you want hacked mode with the LV dead shoot 10x. Not sure if 10x + color raw preview (gd on) will keep corrupt frames away on 7D. on the 6D I can shoot 720P like this with full color preview, about 20% more laggy than display filter peaking.

Sorry, by hacks display I meant this display which is showing on my screen when preview is set to "ML Greyscale":

dmk

Quote from: Monsanto on November 01, 2013, 04:52:03 PM
Could be a couple things wrong. Tungsten 50hz sometimes creates flicker using 1/28 or 1/30 shutter helps the cycle from flickering but doesnt stop it, you can thank CMOS sensors for that. 2nd issue may be messing with the sliders on AE-ACR don't mess with anything on the first page but white balance. Maybe this will help.  FYI 24fps has tendency to create problems on 7D with skipping try using 30fps with fps override on low light.

Thanks. Why would exposure settings in AE-ACR affect that?

Is there a page somewhere that details a bit how fps override works, i.e. low light mode vs. exact? The info there says that it might adjust shutter speed... so that could be the ticket...

dmk

I'm still a tiny bit confused about how resolution and crop mode affect the image... is resolution simply determining how much of the sensor area to use and zoom mode becomes only a crop?

i.e. if we stay in the same resolution as regular but do a 5x "zoom" (read: "crop"), is it the same quality but simply a smaller field of view and no aliasing?

Also, does crop mode affect depth-of-field (assuming same distance from subject)?

Thanks!

1%

So you mean take out the "hacked" display. It does cover things and on 7D doesn't really do much.

dmk

Probably yeah :)

For a neophyte like me who's just getting their feet wet with ML, it looks like a bug (like you said- covers things with perhaps very little benefit)... though I'm coming a bit more from wanting to understand what it means and why it's only displayed with certain settings. If it's useful for the devs, I'd say keep it, though it would be helpful to know what causes it. If it's not really so useful- I'd say it is getting in the way a bit and it'd be better to hide it somewhere else.

1%

Its just telling you I tried to turn off edmacs XXXX... I can probably push this to master and shut off LV in 1x but the need is low as its already recording the full size. I guess I can blot out 5x but 10x does the same thing. I'll get it off the screen though since its annoying.

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: DFM on November 02, 2013, 10:10:04 PM
Camera Raw doesn't have a separate installer, so it doesn't have a separate activation system. It requires that a parent product be activated first (e.g. for Camera Raw CC it would be Photoshop CC or After Effects CC). I'm not sure of your setup as you previously referred to CC and CS6, and if there are mixtures of versions on the same machine it can confuse the license service. Please post your question to the Adobe product forums and we'll help resolve the problem over there.

Please stay on topic, this is 7D topic.  All post processing post do not belong here!

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?board=54.0
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

DragonFlame

Quote from: dmk on November 03, 2013, 05:07:59 AM
I'm still a tiny bit confused about how resolution and crop mode affect the image... is resolution simply determining how much of the sensor area to use and zoom mode becomes only a crop?

i.e. if we stay in the same resolution as regular but do a 5x "zoom" (read: "crop"), is it the same quality but simply a smaller field of view and no aliasing?

Also, does crop mode affect depth-of-field (assuming same distance from subject)?

Thanks!

Resolution is simply the output size you want to record in.
The difference between normal and crop is not a resolution change but how information is read from the sensor, let's assume you want to record at 1080p we'll in normal record mode the camera uses the whole sensor but because the sensor is so much larger than 1920x1080 it has to throw away a lot of data in between lines, in crop mode however it uses the very center of the sensor at 1920x1080 resolution or what ever res you picked, while it's true that the sensor is being cropped in zoom modes you are actually getting a 1:1 ratio in pixels unlike in normal which is splitting up lines from the sensor to match the resolution you picked and can end up with some nasty moire aliasing.

If you are trying to frame the same shot in normal and zoom with the same lens it would require you to set the camera a lot father back in zoom mode which would affect your depth of field I would say.

dmk

What I don't get though is why the cropped-mode gives magnified images.

If I take the 1920x1080, for example, and crop out the center area, it doesn't magnify it- it's just a crop?

Pelican

Quote from: dmk on November 04, 2013, 07:13:33 AM

What I don't get though is why the cropped-mode gives magnified images.

If I take the 1920x1080, for example, and crop out the center area, it doesn't magnify it- it's just a crop?

Don't be lazy just think about it...
EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5, EOS 100 + lenses (10mm to 300mm), 600EX, 550EX, YN600EX x 3
EOScard, EOS DSLR firmwares, ARMu, NiControl, etc.: http://pel.hu/down

arrinkiiii

-Went to recorded some footage and notice this: Since MLV give's me pink/corrupt frames i use now the raw_mo... What i notice is wend you hit the recorded button the Lv make the image blurred... not yet see if this is recorded to the file or is just in the Lv.

dmk

@Pelican - The only thing I can think of is it's scaling it somewhere. When I take a still photo in native cr2 raw mode and crop out the middle- it looks more like the native 1920x1080 minus aliasing, not the magnified view that shooting in crop mode gives us.

:o

DFM

You would do well to address that remark to the person who started the conversation. My job is to direct customers to the correct place for Adobe product support, which isn't on this site.

Quote from: RenatoPhoto on November 03, 2013, 06:19:56 PM
Please stay on topic, this is 7D topic.  All post processing post do not belong here!

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?board=54.0

DFM

No blurring in the actual recording. I'm using RAW instead of MLV for the same reason.

Quote from: arrinkiiii on November 04, 2013, 12:34:07 PM
-Went to recorded some footage and notice this: Since MLV give's me pink/corrupt frames i use now the raw_mo... What i notice is wend you hit the recorded button the Lv make the image blurred... not yet see if this is recorded to the file or is just in the Lv.

arrinkiiii

Quote from: DFM on November 04, 2013, 02:03:26 PM
No blurring in the actual recording. I'm using RAW instead of MLV for the same reason.

That's good to hear. In the begging i think that was about the lens but i check and it's in manual. Later i will check again to see if this happen again and if this is just in the Lv or it will record like that, that i think it will.

Hope new developments come for the MLV  :D

1%

Digic focus peaking? It shuts off when recording and would be sharper when you weren't

ddp

Hi guys I'm new in 7D ML Raw, Can you help me?

What is the latest Nightly Build with best performance and max resolution with continous raw recording?

Cheers!  :)

arrinkiiii

Quote from: 1% on November 04, 2013, 03:21:03 PM
Digic focus peaking? It shuts off when recording and would be sharper when you weren't

Must be that for sure  :D  will check.  Thanks you again.

ddp, you neeed to try out   http://tl.bot-fly.com/   

ddp

tonybeccar

Quote from: 1% on November 04, 2013, 03:21:03 PM

Is there a way to bring focus peaking back while recording??

arrinkiiii

I think if it's on wend recorded the sharpness will be in the clip... and i think it's not good as in post. Like sharpening in camera, not good.