7D Raw Thread

Started by noisyboy, August 05, 2013, 11:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arrinkiiii

-crop mode/zoom mode 5x....  imagine with a 200mm lens

-After u press the zoom button, go to ML menu and chose your desire frame rate =))

-Im still having pink/corrupted frames with the latest MLV, even the LV in MLV have some delay, glitch... with raw legacy everything go's good.

dmk

So is this correct- if remaining at the same resolution and zooming in, it's a digital zoom (i.e. lower quality), but if zooming in and increasing resolution, it's a crop (i.e. same or higher quality)? If that's right, is there a simple equation to figure out where that balances out to avoid digital-zoom artifacts?

Also, is this correct- aspect ratio is simply an in-camera crop of the image data, mostly useful to allow ML to keep the desired framerate. i.e. it's not doing any anamorphic squeezing or anything like that, ideal would be to keep aspect ratio at 1:1 and record at full sensor resolution and crop in post if desired for aesthetic reasons (obviously that's not achievable right now, just trying to understand what Aspect ratio here means exactly)?

dmk

With force FPS set to 24 and optimize for exact framerate, with the komputerbay 64GB 1000x:

One of my cards gets around 8 seconds @ 2512x1004 and the other gets around 11 seconds

The strange thing is that the 8 seconds one has a weird message on the screen- about 5 lines that say "hack [hex code] [resolution]"

Global draw is off in both the display menu and raw menu. Any idea what that's about?

A quick test- bringing the 2512x1004 into a 1920x1080 timeline and scaling up a tad to fit looks great and gives some room for horizontal moves, without aliasing :D

DFM

Quote from: arrinkiiii on November 01, 2013, 10:20:10 AM
-Im still having pink/corrupted frames with the latest MLV, even the LV in MLV have some delay, glitch... with raw legacy everything go's good.

Same here. Not seen a corrupted frame in RAW for weeks, but everything I've shot in MLV is littered with them (it's not a buffer/card issue, I get bad frames at 1280x720 from MLVs but the same card will write continuous RAW files at full non-crop resolution and they're perfect).

It's annoying because the 'canikon' headers from RAW2DNG aren't correct, so the frame sequence doesn't comply with the rather strict requirements for CinemaDNG.

DFM

First question - Yes and no. Regular '1x' video records across the entire sensor width, so to get video resolutions it skips lines and pixels, as if you were putting a mesh grid in front of the sensor. Shooting in '5x' crop mode you are sampling without line-skipping, as if you were shooting a regular photo. The recorded area in crop mode is a small region from the center of the CCD, hence the magnification. There's no loss of image quality, indeed by avoiding line-skipping you cure the alias/moire problem. The drawback is the need for UWA lenses to give some manageable field of view.

Second question - Correct; it's just altering the region being recorded. No pixel aspect ratio adjustments going on. Yes you would ideally grab the max resolution and crop in post, but for most people that's not going to be practicable. Even if card speeds are up to the job, you start needing another backpack to carry them in.

Quote from: dmk on November 01, 2013, 10:31:59 AM
So is this correct- if remaining at the same resolution and zooming in, it's a digital zoom (i.e. lower quality), but if zooming in and increasing resolution, it's a crop (i.e. same or higher quality)? If that's right, is there a simple equation to figure out where that balances out to avoid digital-zoom artifacts?

Also, is this correct- aspect ratio is simply an in-camera crop of the image data, mostly useful to allow ML to keep the desired framerate. i.e. it's not doing any anamorphic squeezing or anything like that, ideal would be to keep aspect ratio at 1:1 and record at full sensor resolution and crop in post if desired for aesthetic reasons (obviously that's not achievable right now, just trying to understand what Aspect ratio here means exactly)?

arrinkiiii

With MLV i get the right name/header in ACR/after effects   -->  Canon 7D

dmk

Quote from: DFM on November 01, 2013, 11:40:04 AM
First question - Yes and no. Regular '1x' video records across the entire sensor width, so to get video resolutions it skips lines and pixels, as if you were putting a mesh grid in front of the sensor. Shooting in '5x' crop mode you are sampling without line-skipping, as if you were shooting a regular photo. The recorded area in crop mode is a small region from the center of the CCD, hence the magnification. There's no loss of image quality, indeed by avoiding line-skipping you cure the alias/moire problem. The drawback is the need for UWA lenses to give some manageable field of view.

Thanks for that clear explanation. How does the "Resolution" setting in the Raw Video menu relate to this?

RenatoPhoto

http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

dmk

Thanks, that first link is very informative!

So now my only concern really is that hacks display...

dmk

Here's a test of the 8 seconds recording:

5x zoom @ 2512x1004
FPS Override @24fps w/ priority for constant FPS.
Shutter via Canon @ 50
Tungsten Fresnel lights on European Current

Is the flicker just the smoke blocking the light? Can't tell... will need to do some more tests to make sure I didn't mess something up

Tried setting preview to Hacks No Preview but there is still liveview... I thought that's supposed to disable it in order to free up some more juice for ML?

Monsanto

Could be a couple things wrong. Tungsten 50hz sometimes creates flicker using 1/28 or 1/30 shutter helps the cycle from flickering but doesnt stop it, you can thank CMOS sensors for that. 2nd issue may be messing with the sliders on AE-ACR don't mess with anything on the first page but white balance. Maybe this will help.  FYI 24fps has tendency to create problems on 7D with skipping try using 30fps with fps override on low light.

kirklasalle

Quote from: mrnv45 on October 31, 2013, 04:59:16 PM
well someone who has clips like mine that ACR wont pull up in After effects only way to get ACR is through photoshop.
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9086.new#new

so for the moment this was a great sub. since i didnt have the raw files only sequence.

ive seen plenty of people use lightroom to convert. WITHOUT NOISE REDUCTION, GRAIN ADDING and WITHOUT SHARPENING in light room.. .

and as for the quicktime export.  the person who created THIS VIDEO, was one of the people who first told me how to EXPORT from Quicktime  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtwJvgPJ9xw (Chamillionaire - Ridin Dirty)

so its not the first time ive heard it was a good way to export.

i honestly PERSONALLY dont see any difference for YOUTUBE purpose but maybe for On screen or dvd.

-continued slightly off RAW Dev topic but, still relevant to the ML RAW file type we're all desperately trying to work with...
Also, I know GingerHDR RAW support may be old news for some.

I've been using GingerHDR (from 19Lights)for some time now, mainly because I like the simplicity of what I can do with it and my 7D video (any video really) Ironically, their latest update  supports ML RAW and allows me to ingest the ML RAW files directly and work on them like any other video clip previously. I actually paid the $150.00 for the plugin as a business purchase but, I probably would have puchased it anyway... I know $150 isn't something everyone will want to drop on a plugin just to make RAW a one step ingest but, personally I found it worth it!

I'm sure some of you have seen this.
http://19lights.com/wp/tutorials/magic-lantern-raw-video/

Now with today's recent CC update they seem to support Cinema DNG... However,  it also seems the main support is for BMCC and RED, etc., and then there are some posts that are showing issues (with Canon of course) with color shifts a few other various anomalies.  So for now, I'll stick with Ginger HDR and when not it's available, and sometime it's not (only on two machines and not my laptop) of course use the mlv2raw/raw2dng process.

In any case, I highly recommend the plugin for those inclined to buy it or "find" it or whatever.

mrnv45

well i use ginger NOW but i have a whole music video already exported to DNG's and they show up pure black in my after effects..

i just installed Adobe CC/Bridge and still no luck..  when in bridge and i click CAMERA RAW it says i need to open an app atleast once?

1%

maybe post a black dng for us to see.

So now my only concern really is that hacks display...

It doesn't actually work since the active YUV regs are on the master, haven't tried there since a bit of code has to go into raw_rec further balooning it. If you want hacked mode with the LV dead shoot 10x. Not sure if 10x + color raw preview (gd on) will keep corrupt frames away on 7D. on the 6D I can shoot 720P like this with full color preview, about 20% more laggy than display filter peaking.

pulala_8

Hello Guys . I was trying to install the magic lantern with raw in my 7d using my iMac  and i believe that i have an older version because doesn't work to well. When i press the rec button my live view stuck and i am not able to record more than few seconds in my transcend 600x card and the files in my card are M01-0018.RAW. I am feeling so idiot and i am very confused how to install it correctly because i am lost in this huge forum informations. I would be really thankful if someone can make a video tutorial about how to install and how to use the raw mode at the best settings. If not not bad feelings you are awesome.

mrnv45

Newest builds. http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7987.0
dont forget to benchmark.
so you can get appropriate speeds.

when you turn on RAW_REC it will create those .RAW files.

RAWmagic for MAC http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6218.0 to create a sequence
or if you have ginger HDR you can drag the .RAW into AFter Effects and color grade with ACR (Adobe Camera Raw)

mrnv45

im having issues with ACR pulling up in After Effects

photoshop works with camera raw. but my bridge wont even allow me to click camera raw preferences

it says i need to open up a program atleast once but i have.

i uninstalled/reinstalled the master collection (cs6) again. and still nothing.

i dont have a MORE OPTIONS.. in interpret footage..  also when i pull my DNG sequence 0000.dng clip into after effects it is realllllly dark or BLACK (epending on how much light is used) i posted here : http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9086.new#new

but no one really could help.  seeing if anyone else could offer a suggestion. 

on a mac by the way.  and Resolve will not allow me to click and drag any clips. it just force closes every time i try.

pulala_8

:) Thank you sososososossosos much

hdclip

could anyone tell me how to turn off the camera so that the battery does not fall when off, please????the lightroom workflow is amazing!!!!!!!
Canon 7D Sandisk Extreme 60MB/seg, Lexar 32Gb X1000

danistuta

New Premiere update 7.1, says that support DNG files. I tried putting DNG files converted from mlv2dng, but it doesn't seem to work. What's the right way to do it?

mrnv45

Quote from: hdclip on November 02, 2013, 10:42:14 AM
could anyone tell me how to turn off the camera so that the battery does not fall when off, please????the lightroom workflow is amazing!!!!!!!

what do you mean turn it off so it wont fall?

buy some tape?  8)

1%

I think he is pulling the card too soon and leaving the camera in a semi-powered state thus draining the battery. Check and make sure you can turn it on/off after removing the card and closing the door.

DFM

Quote from: danistuta on November 02, 2013, 08:03:31 PM
New Premiere update 7.1, says that support DNG files. I tried putting DNG files converted from mlv2dng, but it doesn't seem to work. What's the right way to do it?

The DNGs aren't structured correctly so they won't import.

DFM

Quote from: mrnv45 on November 02, 2013, 01:50:06 AM
im having issues with ACR pulling up in After Effects...

Camera Raw doesn't have a separate installer, so it doesn't have a separate activation system. It requires that a parent product be activated first (e.g. for Camera Raw CC it would be Photoshop CC or After Effects CC). I'm not sure of your setup as you previously referred to CC and CS6, and if there are mixtures of versions on the same machine it can confuse the license service. Please post your question to the Adobe product forums and we'll help resolve the problem over there.

hdclip

I have the problem of losing the entire burden of the battery while the camera off and never extract the card with the camera turned on and the door open. simply turn off the switch with 95% and the next day 0% sorry for my English google translator helps me...;)
Canon 7D Sandisk Extreme 60MB/seg, Lexar 32Gb X1000