7D Raw Thread

Started by noisyboy, August 05, 2013, 11:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rådyrklo

Dear community,

Situation 1:
I own a 7D.

Situation 1.2:
I have read nine thousand posts online on how to get raw video and dual iso for my 7D. Joke, I have probably read 9.

Objective 1:
I want raw video and dual iso for my 7D.

Objective 1.2:
I want raw video and dual iso for my 7D without having to read through 57 posts x 5 different threads dated from November 2012 - October 2013 in order to get it.

Disclaimer 1:
I am what you would call a newbie.

Disclaimer 1.2:
I am not as arrogant as this post mistakenly may be perceived.

Thanks to everyone who can give me a straight answer.

Sincerely,

vnguyen972

For starter, all you need is to read the 1st thread of this topic...
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7503.0

Here's the latest test build:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7987

I don't think dual ISO in video for 7D works just yet though.

Quote from: rådyrklo on October 07, 2013, 04:21:59 PM
Dear community,

Situation 1:
I own a 7D.

Situation 1.2:
I have read nine thousand posts online on how to get raw video and dual iso for my 7D. Joke, I have probably read 9.

Objective 1:
I want raw video and dual iso for my 7D.

Objective 1.2:
I want raw video and dual iso for my 7D without having to read through 57 posts x 5 different threads dated from November 2012 - October 2013 in order to get it.

Disclaimer 1:
I am what you would call a newbie.

Disclaimer 1.2:
I am not as arrogant as this post mistakenly may be perceived.

Thanks to everyone who can give me a straight answer.

Sincerely,
Love my EOS7D!

brunonicko

I used the latest build in a real production!
It was a video-clip for this brand that sells a brazilian sweet called "Brigadeiro", kind of a chocolate truffle.
Recorded in RAW format, continuously at 2:1@23,976fps, maximum resolution of the non-crop mode.
It was amazing. Got no problems at all, and the image quality is epic. When I needed to review the clips, I just used the Drastic player on my notebook - in location, no conversion needed.
Thanks Magic Lantern community, you are the best.

See the video at:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10200721048007843&set=vb.578623872195584&type=2&theater

vnguyen972

+1... Drastic player is an awesome player!!!

Quote from: brunonicko on October 07, 2013, 05:40:00 PM
When I needed to review the clips, I just used the Drastic player on my notebook - in location, no conversion needed.
Love my EOS7D!

britom

So the last weekend i had the oportunity to test all the raw features in a real production enviorment in 24 and 60p mode. It's such a pleassure to grade the footage that comes out of the camera and what's great is that I got only 1 pink frame in 60p mode in 2 days of production! I'm still noticing some flickering when debayering with ACR from Adobe CC (updated), so it seems that resolve is the way to go. Also what anoyed me a bit when using the raw_rec module is that after pressing the record button, the camera waits like 3 seconds before starting to write.

@brunonicko looks great!

7D Builds with RAW support: http://bit.ly/14Llzda

danistuta

How to set 60p in raw mode? Thanks.

1%

QuoteAlso what anoyed me a bit when using the raw_rec module is that after pressing the record button, the camera waits like 3 seconds before starting to write.

Turn off start delay.

QuoteI don't think dual ISO in video for 7D works just yet though.

50D/5DII/7D do not alter the register in LV and setting a dual iso in the one reg they use seems to do nothing.

OSCA LEE

Im getting some fuzzy spots on my shots after I render them...

Still not getting the quality you guys are getting

ericjolley

Osca, you might be more specific or post a screenshot of the "fuzzy spots." 

If you are underexposing the image then more than likely those fuzzy spots are noise.  Magic Lantern raw does not handle underexposure well but then again neither does H.264.

Not sure what your workflow is but it might help to share that too. I think everybody has their own method.  Personally I'm still shooting .raw, not .mlv   I'm on a Mac so I'm using RawMagic to convert to CDNG.  Then I render the CDNGs as 10 bit ProRes 422 .mov files in After Effects (after making slight adjustments in the Adobe Camera Raw tool).   

When I've had to cut on a Windows machine, I used the "raw2cdng" app from phreekz.de to convert to CDNG and in AE I chose Avid DNxHD codec instead of ProRes.

arrinkiiii

Since no one knows the best ISO to record in RAW i found this,

http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/ISO

But i must say more confuse i stay  ???

szigiszmund

If somebody is interested to push the camera to write faster than 83mb,to see how good it's your card meanwhile recording in raw,then lower your fps from ex 24 to 10 or under.
I managed to have 90.5mb write speed for 2-3 sec on the beginning,than it's go stabel to 87-88mb on komputerbay 64gb 1000x.
Have fun.

Tiko

Hi guys, my first post here. Here's a music video I shot entirely with raw video on my 7D. I hope you like prog!

- Tiko

Fukurou

Hey guys. I made some research (in fact, quite a lot) and came to conclusion that the 7D is the best way to film raw if you can't afford a Mark II or III.
Problem is, the official ML chart doesn't say how much time the 7D can film continuously (I mean, what's the longest take you can make ?) and I've heard different versions. Some say less than 10 seconds, other 1 minute.
So, anyone to confirm how it really works ?
Also, if it has any problems while filming raw ?
Thanks in advance...
Canon 5D3
Canon 50mm 1.8, Samyang 24mm 1.4, Samyang 14mm 2.8
PC - Windows 7

vnguyen972

Well, Raw video isn't official yet since it's still in development... and still in "alpha"... that's why you can't find it on official ML chart.
So far, it's just based on different tests varies on different card...

Here's one of the test result from one of the users... but you'll get the idea of what resolution 7D raw would allow you to continuously record so you can do long takes... and what resolution you want but have to deal with short takes due to short recording...

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7503.1325

Install raw component and buy a fast card and test it in your own setting and see what works best for you and your production!
Since it's still in alpha, there will be some issues but for the most part, it will record some fine footage!!!

Quote from: Fukurou on October 08, 2013, 12:52:30 AM
Hey guys. I made some research (in fact, quite a lot) and came to conclusion that the 7D is the best way to film raw if you can't afford a Mark II or III.
Problem is, the official ML chart doesn't say how much time the 7D can film continuously (I mean, what's the longest take you can make ?) and I've heard different versions. Some say less than 10 seconds, other 1 minute.
So, anyone to confirm how it really works ?
Also, if it has any problems while filming raw ?
Thanks in advance...
Love my EOS7D!

Fukurou

Thanks.
Yeah, When I said "official", I meant the infos  found on this forum
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6215.0
And since some of them were followed by a question mark, I wasn't sure they would be accurate. But the link you gave in your post says continuous in 24p at a decent resolution is ok (and most other modes can record about 1 minute in general). So, this will do for me :)

I'm also aware there could be issues as this is still pretty early for raw to be stable (specially when those models were not really designed for this), but at least, even if raw really happened to fail me, 7D itself is still a decent DSLR I suppose :)
Canon 5D3
Canon 50mm 1.8, Samyang 24mm 1.4, Samyang 14mm 2.8
PC - Windows 7

gcbotas

Hello

How about the 128gb komputerbay CF memory? works OK with raw?

Appreciate your answer.

Thanks a lot!

painya

Quote from: gcbotas on October 08, 2013, 02:17:37 AM
Hello

How about the 128gb komputerbay CF memory? works OK with raw?

Appreciate your answer.

Thanks a lot!
Many people haven't had much luck with the 128 gb Komputerbay CF card, even the 1000x.
If I were you I'd go with two 64gb cards.
Good footage doesn't make a story any better.

1%

QuoteI managed to have 90.5mb write speed for 2-3 sec on the beginning,than it's go stabel to 87-88mb on komputerbay 64gb 1000x.

So you got the 90? I've yet to see it, it does seem very affected by frame size + FPS... I still think there is something canon that can be turned off. The dialog timers are good for ~6MB/s at least.

painya

Komputerbay cards seem to be wildly inconsistent :/ Makes you think twice about buying them. It sure seems to work for some people though!
Good footage doesn't make a story any better.

edingacic

So what is the conckusion on VAF and rec in raw does it work or it is too soft

tonybeccar

@Tiko,

Awesome quality man!!! Really! Did you use any sharpening in post? Lenses? You didn't use a VAF filter right?

szigiszmund

Quote from: 1% on October 08, 2013, 03:04:31 AM
So you got the 90? I've yet to see it, it does seem very affected by frame size + FPS... I still think there is something canon that can be turned off. The dialog timers are good for ~6MB/s at least.

Yes,it was 90mb.I was surprised  to see such a high speed,so i try few more times and i get the same results every time.

Digital Corpus

Quote from: edingacic on October 08, 2013, 04:07:59 AM
So what is the conckusion on VAF and rec in raw does it work or it is too soft
A little soft, but it's very usable. I plan on doing some more tests in the near future to more accurately show that.
7D w/ ML | Tokina ATX 11-16 | Canon 24 mm pancake | Canon 40 mm pancake | Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS | Sigma 150-600 Sports

1%

Yup, see it speeds up when its not pressed to write. I can 2.5k at 16fps.

britom

@1% start delay was off...
7D Builds with RAW support: http://bit.ly/14Llzda