7D Raw Thread

Started by noisyboy, August 05, 2013, 11:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mucher

Actually it is something like 8 x 4 = 40 mm, because you can get maximum 3x in 7D's 5X mode, most if not all CF cards today cannot reach 3x continuously, but by a smaller aspect, you can get something like 2k, 5184 / 2000 = 2.592, 2.592 x 1.6 = 4.147, and 4.2 x 8 = 33.2 mm

But, 8mm is a fisheye, the widest non-fisheye is the 14mm full-frame lense, which I heard from rumor.

crwn_schlr

Quote from: mucher on October 04, 2013, 04:22:31 PM
Actually it is something like 8 x 4 = 40 mm, because you can get maximum 3x in 7D's 5X mode, most if not all CF cards today cannot reach 3x continuously, but by a smaller aspect, you can get something like 2k, 5184 / 2000 = 2.592, 2.592 x 1.6 = 4.147, and 4.2 x 8 = 33.2 mm

But, 8mm is a fisheye, the widest non-fisheye is the 14mm full-frame lense, which I heard from rumor.

Actually the widest non-fisheye is the nikon 13mm that sells for like $10k, but that's neither here nor there.

Ive got the rokinon/samyang 8mm in the cine version. I know i've slapped it on to test out with raw, but the lens is very soft, so I might've chucked those clips.

I'll test it in crop mode and see how it fairs. I'd imagine it being even softer though. Not to mention it has zero depth of field.

sanderbontje

Quote from: mucher on October 04, 2013, 04:22:31 PM

Do not rule out the mighty Canon EF-S 10-22! It's perfectly fine for the 7D. It's one of my most appreciated UWA (not fish eye) lenses.  ;) Millimeters are the same for crop and FF. And 4 mm is a lot on the wide end.

Edit: actually, before ML it was the main reason why my 7D was still around!

mucher

7D's x5 zoom mode is a total lost in the wild angle realm, but gains incrediblely in the long range, bird/plane shooters must like it.

Btw, the latest Britom's build has no greyscale 1:1 mode when zooms 5x

mucher

Quote from: sanderbontje on October 04, 2013, 05:39:12 PM
Do not rule out the mighty Canon EF-S 10-22! It's perfectly fine for the 7D. It's one of my most appreciated UWA (not fish eye) lenses.  ;) Millimeters are the same for crop and FF. And 4 mm is a lot on the wide end.

Yeah I forgot that mighty EF-S10-22, x4.2 it looks very handy from midrange to portrait, but the price tag can make some of us whine about it. Anybody likes to comment on the cheaper substitutes?

RenatoPhoto

Please! This thread is for discussing RAW video.
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

danistuta

Quote from: 1% on October 04, 2013, 03:41:15 AM
Try now, I changed memory and timing a bit.

Sorry is there a new version? Where can I find? Thanks.

deC9r

the best uww for the 7d is the Tokina 11-16mm F2.8.

OSCA LEE

Fellas,

I have read this entire thread....I cant correct this problem

when i record in Raw it looks terrible....when i dont it looks.. better

i used the MLV player

what am I doing wrong?

a1ex

When I'm taking photos with my brand new Nikon D3x they look terrible... when I take them with my old Nokia/Zenit/Holga/Pinhole they look better

What am I doing wrong?

http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#beprecise

Astronick

I have recently installed Magic Lantern on my 7D (britom's build from 29/09/13) and have been testing it quite a bit. Works great so far!
However, in some of the raw videos (of a low contrast scene) where I exposed to the right completely (without clipping of course) I noticed a strange noise pattern (vertical stripes for example).

This frame (100%) was taken at iso 100, 2044x868 in crop mode, 23.976 fps override. The left part is the original, the middle part the normal edited frame (in ACR) and the right part a more extreme edit to show the pattern. Frame (.Raw) converted to .DNG with RAWMagic.

Am I doing something wrong or is this just the "normal" cmos sensor noise? Should I not expose to the right that much? (the image looks white at first glance)

Cheers

arrinkiiii

Quote from: OSCA LEE on October 04, 2013, 06:59:30 PM
Fellas,

I have read this entire thread....I cant correct this problem

when i record in Raw it looks terrible....when i dont it looks.. better

i used the MLV player

what am I doing wrong?

With MLV player you can't see the best resolution... also depend of the clip, because some times its just go to extreme exposures. For you see good the files you need to open in, for example, after effects or in premiere. Or you trasncode from raw to dng or use this new plug-in in real time, raw player (not yet for MLV) and plug-in for premiere and after effects, FCP, Avid, etc..

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8627.0

It's working like a charme =)

Anyone know's the analog ISO's for the 7D or the native one's? 

deC9r

Well i think it's the limitation of 7d's sensor. Since you used cropmode it's the worst outcome of the noise because of 1:1.
And btw blue channel is always the noisiest one even if you take normal photos.

For photo and raw i think you go 100, 200, etc...
For h264 you go best with 160, 320 etc...

OSCA LEE

Quote from: arrinkiiii on October 04, 2013, 07:29:59 PM
With MLV player you can't see the best resolution... also depend of the clip, because some times its just go to extreme exposures. For you see good the files you need to open in, for example, after effects or in premiere. Or you trasncode from raw to dng or use this new plug-in in real time, raw player (not yet for MLV) and plug-in for premiere and after effects, FCP, Avid, etc..

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8627.0

It's working like a charme =)

Anyone know's the analog ISO's for the 7D or the native one's?

Ok thanks...I will try this and log the update

Astronick

Quote from: deC9r on October 04, 2013, 07:31:57 PM
Well i think it's the limitation of 7d's sensor. Since you used cropmode it's the worst outcome of the noise because of 1:1.
And btw blue channel is always the noisiest one even if you take normal photos.

So I reckon the noise might be a result of the crop mode, blue channel, me adding to much contrast in post and me pixel peeping (at 400%) for too long ;)
Nevertheless, the 7D still produces some great looking images.
Thanks!

danistuta

With fps override I've got memory mark red in the menu and often Err 77 during REC. How to solve?
Thanks.

1%

I don't think britcom built a new build with the fix for that yet. It was allocating/freeing too quickly.

OSCA LEE

Ok...I have AE CS6 and used the r2dng to create the files.....

Picture quality is nice but nothing compared to what you guys are posting.

My settings...canon 1080p 30fps RAW

ML rw module loaded only no other modules...1728

Also...that 5x doesnt do my filming any justice at all...I just use the regular setting without the crop. Very noisy fellas....

1%

Make sure its properly exposed... very unforgiving for under... pattern noise, etc.

deC9r

Quote from: Astronick on October 04, 2013, 09:56:24 PM
So I reckon the noise might be a result of the crop mode, blue channel, me adding to much contrast in post and me pixel peeping (at 400%) for too long ;)
Nevertheless, the 7D still produces some great looking images.
Thanks!

that noise can be fixed very easy.

1. solution: do it in camera raw

2. solution: try neatvideo (http://www.neatvideo.com/) for after effects (best denoiser i've used)

1%

CAUTION:

I just fixed wav... it was not freeing memory... after some while camera will crash from out of memory!

edwmotion

Quote from: sanderbontje on October 04, 2013, 05:39:12 PM

I worked last week with that lens, it's ok, but needs lots of light. f3.5 is not enough for a decent DOF.

szigiszmund

ACR it's seeing the raw files as Canikon as the camera model,so i can not change to neutral or any other style.
I search on forum to see how to change this to canon eos 7d,without success.
I try the latest rawtodng converter,no change.
I try ExifToolGui program to change camera model,in prpreties the change it's made successful,but ACR stil saying Canikon.
Can someone/anyone help me ?

Rewind

Quote from: szigiszmund on October 05, 2013, 02:18:43 PM
I try ExifToolGui program to change camera model,in prpreties the change it's made successful,but ACR stil saying Canikon.
Can someone/anyone help me ?

You should change the EXIF:UniqueCameraModel tag. Copy the Camera Model name to it.

szigiszmund

Please ,you can explain how to do that. I tried several programs with no luck.
Thankyou.