7D Raw Thread

Started by noisyboy, August 05, 2013, 11:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wheezl

Quote from: 1% on September 25, 2013, 04:58:37 PM
Card speed is never 100% consistent. I'm surprised it gives you almost full advertised speed.

Card full will cause problems, I'd say stop right before.

I'm actually overjoyed with the speed so I'm not complaining. I'm just trying to figure out if what I am seeing is real and how to most easily replicate it.  Right now 1600x900 manages to hit Continuous after a few seconds so my current "record" of 60.2MB/s peak with this card isn't terribly important to me from a usability standpoint.

I'm just trying to collect information that might be useful to others.

EDIT:   Hahaha "New Record"

wheezl

Quote from: arrinkiiii on September 25, 2013, 03:07:05 PM
ok, no MLV view in camera  8)

Thanks wheezl, i got the same card but only 8GB... going try with your settings and with buffer fill method 3 in MLV for see whats happen  :D

I've also found I can sometimes ride the buffer at 1728x864 (2:1) until the card fills.  So not technically continuous recording but more or less equivalent when you have a smaller card like we do ;)

arrinkiiii

Thank you  :D  Hope the end of this month i will get a 32gb 1000x 

britom

Is there any way of implementing some kind of warning when the card is almost full?... like a beep sound when there's 500mb left for example...
7D Builds with RAW support: http://bit.ly/14Llzda

a1ex

Yes, you only have to keep track of all FIO_WriteFile calls (maybe also FIO_RemoveFile).

Or figure out how to ask Canon code to recompute the free space.

1%

There has to be some kind of re-update file catalog function, you probably couldn't do it while recording but would work after. It has to do something like that after taking a pic.

PANDETTA

Quote from: arrinkiiii on September 25, 2013, 06:40:47 AM
Looks like a corrupted frame, with new build i think you will not have such problem  :)
funny, i use the 12/9 build, mlv module and i get corrupted frames every time, but mines look like this

@Jared's look like his turned on false color

I use Transcend 1000x 32gb card, does it mean my card is too slow if I get corrupted frames?

1%

Yea, MLV is not corrupt frame proof at all. Made worse on a slower card... on 50D I get those in the middle of shots, on 7D usually at the beginning even with 1000x.

arrinkiiii

Quote from: Jared on September 25, 2013, 06:15:11 AM
Greetings I'm having problems when shooting from build "[7D] PopStop" in MLV
any help?
or any new build?
P.D: Attached Image

Indeed, not corrupt frame. Maybe from raw2dng or mlv2dng? Did you try the new build - 24 September if it does the same thing?

m1ke

If you know the free space before you begin recording and the image size and framerate, could you calculate the number of frames you have room for and stop the recording just before that?

Quote from: a1ex on September 25, 2013, 07:06:10 PM
Yes, you only have to keep track of all FIO_WriteFile calls (maybe also FIO_RemoveFile).

Or figure out how to ask Canon code to recompute the free space.

a1ex

You don't really know it.

1%

There might be a way to delete stuff while freeing up the space in the FC/FM fuctions... creating is still a problem.

bryantbural

Excuse me for being a noob, but what is the difference between normal raw-rec and the MLV module? Not quite sure what pro's and con's of each of them are.

vnguyen972

Quote from: bryantbural on September 26, 2013, 01:35:11 AM
Excuse me for being a noob, but what is the difference between normal raw-rec and the MLV module? Not quite sure what pro's and con's of each of them are.

They're pretty much the same. MLV can store more other info and is a new format but some has shown that it was written a bit faster than RAW too, but yeah for the most part, they're pretty much the same.
Love my EOS7D!

PANDETTA

Quote from: vnguyen972 on September 26, 2013, 08:25:48 AM
They're pretty much the same. MLV can store more other info and is a new format but some has shown that it was written a bit faster than RAW too, but yeah for the most part, they're pretty much the same.
Interesting, although mlv writes faster, i seem to get more corrupted frames with mlv than raw.

alsey7

mlv in my opinion is still too young in its development. Raw_rec on 7D with britom and 1% built i have yet to get a pink frame. I think i'll be happy now. I have  a few projects to work on and I will not shoot in MLV. not just yet

gcbotas

mrnv45

A long video mostly outside stuff on 5500k w/b. + 100-250 + f/9 + iso 250   in .raw format
rawmagic + lightroom +fcpx (color correction)

Digital Corpus

Quote from: 1% on September 22, 2013, 07:51:07 PM
Max is 91, mlv_rec will get better for sure, but we're missing ~10MB somewhere.
Pardon my ignorance, but where did you get this number? I thought I recall seeing some ~100 MB/sec benchmarks on the 1000x cards. I understand the caveat of GD and other overhead associated with the features of ML.
7D w/ ML | Tokina ATX 11-16 | Canon 24 mm pancake | Canon 40 mm pancake | Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS | Sigma 150-600 Sports

Digital Corpus

I know most of those on here are playing with video and have any number of NLEs at their disposal, collectively that is. I'm just a very technical user who's been doing still photography for some time, though I've wanted to contribute to the development if I can. I happen to purchase a VAF-7D before a vacation last yer and I've not seen a RAW test with and without the VAF on our camera. I have the videos at home with a post ready to go, almost. I'll post it up in a few hours. Until then, here are two DNGs to PNGs that I then used to make the video. Details to come...

Without VAF
With VAF

Enjoy pixel peeping, though please keep in mind I minimized the aliased pixels during my RAW conversion process.
7D w/ ML | Tokina ATX 11-16 | Canon 24 mm pancake | Canon 40 mm pancake | Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS | Sigma 150-600 Sports

tech411

Thanks for posting the A/B pngs!

What the stills do not show is the shot destroying moving moire that appears in scenes with regular geometric features - roofs, walls, fabric, stairs, collections of linear features, et al. The 7D-VAF minimizes these visual distractions. The frame content does soften a bit, but this is not a bad thing. You can get back some of the acuity with sharpening if needed.

The combo of ML 7D raw and ME's filter makes the 7D a big league competitor. I'm hoping to do a feature with this tech, done with shorts.

Digital Corpus

I used britom's 12/09/2013 build of ML for recording this test.

I know I'm not active much on here and I wish I can contribute more so here is what I've done. I have the SanDisk UDMA 6/60 MB/sec,  16 GB card so I'm a little limited on card speeds but I do get a solid 50-55 MB/sec on it so it works well enough. I've been playing with the official RAW module and the bleeding edge one from britom and I have a VAF-7D  8) but no I am not using an NLE; just my Mac and my Linux server.  I recorded ~200 frames with and w/o the VAF-7D, critically focused both, to see how well the VAF works and how much fine detail resolution is lost.

These recordings were done about 2 minutes apart, roughly 200 frames each, on the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 (first version of the lens) @ f/11, ISO 100, with a shutter of 1/48th w/o FPS override. I'm comfortable using this lens on my 7D and doing large prints so using it for 2 MP video isn't a concern. I intentionally overexposed by 2/3rds of a stop, processed the DNG's with RawTherapee with highly tweaked/customized settings to extract as much detail as I felt possible and up-res'ing them to 1920x1080. From testing with Photoshop and RawTherapee I determined it was best to 'bake' the sharpening(1) with RT and upsize it in the export instead of doing a separate resize & resharpen with Photoshop. I then passed the PNGs to mencoder (it doesn't play well with tiffs) and x264 to produce the following video tests.

Combined video: MOV, AVI
Without VAF: MOV, AVI
With VAF: MOV, AVI

VAF-N PNGs (704 MiB zip)
MD5: b5d7bf9af890e72cf277201e5f6bb51a
VAF-Y PNGs (670 MiB zip)
MD5: 75f81070184c41b56179d72f52a41cf7

Note 1: One possible pitfall of the test I did is that I apply the exact same settings to both shots. I previously pixel-peeped and fine tuned the detail and sharpening settings with frames using the VAF. As the non-VAF shot is inherently sharper, there is some minor over-sharpening.

Personal note: I own Photoshop CS5 and Lightroom 4. LR4 is a very nice piece of software and can produced stunning results with it's amazing tonal controls. However, it doesn't have the fine tune capability required to try and mask out or minimize the aliasing caused by pixel binning and line skipping. As such, I decided to used RawTherapee which has such controls. If you'd like to see what I've done with the fine details and you have RawTherapee, have a look at this file. In future, I think I'll export TIFFs and use LR4 for the effective "grading" until I decide to get a decent NLE.

To encode the PNGs with x264 via mencoder, I used the following settings:
mencoder mf://*.png -mf fps=23.976 -o ./VAF-Compare.avi -aspect 16:9 -msglevel all=0:vfilter=4:statusline=5 -ovc x264 -x264encopts crf=20:frameref=8:cabac:level_idc=51:subq=9:threads=0:nofast_pskip:keyint=72:keyint_min=12:rc_lookahead=48:deblock=-3,-3:partitions=all:me=umh:bframes=5:aq_strength=1.2:deadzone_inter=13:deadzone_intra=7:qcomp=0.8 -oac copy

Edit: The x264 settings are such that the video is compressed with a constant rate factor, which is analogous to a constant quality level.

To get .mov files I demuxed with mp4box (part of the gpack package)
mp4box -aviraw video <input file>.avi
and then muxed with mencoder since I've had problems with mp4box's muxing
mencoder <input>.h264 -o <output>.mov -of lavf -oac copy -ovc copy

Digital Corpus

I suppose it would be helpful to provide the .MLVs...
VAF-N.MLV: bzip'd tar (~522 MiB), zip (~552 MiB)
VAF-Y.MLV: bzip'd tar (~552 MiB), zip (~586 MiB)

1%

QuotePardon my ignorance, but where did you get this number?

Benchmark in photo mode. I'm seeing no 100s, who has besides 5DIII?

Digital Corpus

Quote from: 1% on September 27, 2013, 10:52:42 PM
Benchmark in photo mode. I'm seeing no 100s, who has besides 5DIII?
When I went back to look a week or two ago, the screen shot wasn't up anymore  :(. Anyhow, I'll pick up one of those cards when funds permit.