7D Raw Thread

Started by noisyboy, August 05, 2013, 11:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rabbity Jack

Quote from: RenatoPhoto on September 13, 2013, 04:39:50 AM
I also ran some test on 7D+Lexar 1000X.  Used Sep 12th build.

Speed:
I had been keeping track of recording speed and this build is the fastest with speeds as good as Alex build for 7D.  I also tested the mlv_rec and was slightly slower.
Regarding speed the strange thing is that I got a bit faster speeds at cropped mode.
Highest recording speed at 1728x972 at 29.97 and cropped was 77.2 MB/s

Pink Frames:
Only got pink frames at 60 and 48 fps video.

Video Quality at ISO 400-800:
Raw DNG has lots of hot pixels (red) and other colors too.
The proxy videos generated by RAWANIZER and dcraw where pretty ugly!
Videos via ACR 8.2 RC to TIFF to Vegas, were of excellent quality and hot pixels removed by ACR.
When compared to 5D3 videos I could notice a little more noise but comparable sharpness and color.

7D frame out of ACR 8.2:

5D3 frame out of ACR 8.2:

Do you have Davinci Resolve? It would be interesting to compare your files processed that way for each camera. I want to get to the bottom of this fringeing issue I'm seeing.

jman

Quote from: ted ramasola on September 13, 2013, 02:20:35 AM
for now you have to use an external recorder and sync using the beep.
Hey Ted.....is there a beep function in the ML menu ?? Cheers.

ted ramasola

In: Raw Video menu>Sound>sync beep
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

jman

chroma

My comments on several on-going issues that keep coming up:

Color Fringing:  I too have seen this ONLY when using DaVinci Resolve.  I believe 1% figures it's a debayering issue in Resolve.  Makes sense.  I do not see it using ACR/After Effects or Cineform/GoPro Studio.

Moire Issues:  The only "solution" to a line skipped sensor is to : A, not line skip aka crop mode or B, use the Mosaic Engineering VAF filter.  As I went over in this thread, I use the VAF filter and it works great and does not degrade the image.

The "Banding" Issue:  I only see these bands when the image ISO is pushed beyond 400 ISO.  All camera systems have limits and/or things you must avoid...Unfortunately for 7D owners, this may be one of them.

Absence of Motion "Blur":  This one is a puzzler, maybe I'm misunderstanding.  All the RAW footage I've shot has a fair amount of "Motion Blur" and not as much "Rolling Shutter" as it seems to have in h.264.  Maybe just another limitation we'll have to deal with.

Maybe, just maybe if we're real patient and lucky, the ML software gurus will solve all of this.  I'm confident.

JCBEos

Videos via ACR 8.2 RC to TIFF to Vegas, were of excellent quality and hot pixels removed by ACR.

If you use After Effects to import the DNGs, ACR open up automatically when importing.
My Youtube Channel -> comments and likes welcome ;)

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: Rabbity Jack on September 13, 2013, 06:35:24 AM
Do you have Davinci Resolve? It would be interesting to compare your files processed that way for each camera. I want to get to the bottom of this fringeing issue I'm seeing.
No.
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

Jared

Raw DNG has lots of hot pixels (red) and other colors too.
When compared to 5D3 videos I could notice a little more noise but comparable sharpness and color.

@RenatoPhoto
you could tell, the way you're using to process the raw video?
ACR as exporting to vegas?
your using RAWanaizer to process the raw file or raw2dng?
as you export from the ACR to tiff?
thanks for your help!
Photographer, Videographer, RawVideo Lover.
Canon 7D / Canon 5DMKIII

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: Jared on September 13, 2013, 02:05:10 PM
@RenatoPhoto
you could tell, the way you're using to process the raw video?
ACR as exporting to vegas?
your using RAWanaizer to process the raw file or raw2dng?
as you export from the ACR to tiff?
thanks for your help!
Open the DNG with ACR.
Take out sharpening, standard is 25 I set it to 0
Add Luminance from 0 to 50
Adjust white balance with AUTO
I may do some adjustments under Tone curve (highlights, lights, darks, shadows)
Save all the DNG as TIFF

Import the TIFF into video editor (Vegas)
Adjust noise (NEAT VIDEO)
Add sharpening after noise reduction, use Convultion Kernel
Change Color Curves if required.
Export video

P.S.  I am now using Rawanizer to do a first automatic generation of video for a quick look.  I put the latest raw2dng.exe in the Rawanizer directory to make sure I am getting the latest conversion tool.  Finally if I decide that the video is good enough for further process then I do the ACR to TIFF process using the dng generated by Rawanizer.

Some more details here:
RAW Video: PostProcessing -- Beginners Guide --
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5654.0
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

JCBEos

why do you transform DNG into TIFF?
My Youtube Channel -> comments and likes welcome ;)

edwmotion

Keep up the great work!!   ;D

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: JCBEos on September 13, 2013, 02:56:13 PM
why do you transform DNG into TIFF?
You could convert to jpeg, but TIFF gives you more latitude if you need to adjust exposure in the video editor.  TIFF is higher quality more bits and is uncompressed.

Further discussions on this topic (NOT 7D) please go here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5654.0

dpmaia

Blackmagic just released the beta version of Resolve 10 for download on their website. I've read that there are some new features that can help defringe raw footage, like input PTZR, among others. I'll give it a try as soon as I can!

ChrisContiPhoto

Hi all,

This doesn't have to do with RAW video per se, but as best as I can tell this is still the best place to ask this question:

Does exFAT >4GB file size-recording work on the 7D yet?
(this doc seems to suggest that it should: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgQ2MOkAZTFHdFFIcFp1d0R5TzVPTVJXOEVyUndteGc#gid=5 )
If so, which ML version or build should I be using?

My primary goal (at least right now) isn't RAW video, but extended record times recording normal old h.264 (longer than 22 minutes or whatever the normal 4GB limit is).

If exFAT does work with the 7D, has anybody done it? What's the process for getting it installed?

Any advice is appreciated!

ted ramasola

7D does not support exfat. You can however use auto restart to let the camera automatically restart recording h264 video after 4 gig is reached. There will be a 1-1.5 sec gaps between clips.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

ChrisContiPhoto

Damn.
(thanks for the response though!)

In that case, should that Google doc be updated? At the moment it says that the 7D does support exFAT...

ChrisContiPhoto

For what it's worth, I tried the following process, and it didn't work  :(

Here's what I tried:
- I did a complete ML install process using a FAT32 card and confirmed ML was working on the 7D
- I reformatted the CF card to exFAT in Apple Disk Utility
- I ran MacBoot again just to make sure the card was still bootable
- I recopied all the necessary ML files back onto the root of the CF card
- I put the card back in the camera, turned it on....

... and got the "this card is not readable" error.
Womp womp.

edwmotion

Does anyone know if Metabones Speedboster for EF mount will be available? Would be great on crop 5x mode.

1%

Quote7D does not support exfat.

7D *does* support exfat, its in the FW strings. But 7D doesn't want to let you use it on cards under 128GB. I think this would need an actual firmware patch which I'm unsure how to do... in theory it would gain some speed.

Rabbity Jack

I have been looking around and found that actually the purple fringeing is a common problem with Resolve and RAW data - it isn't a 7D problem specifically. There are some tutorials for mostly fixing it but I think from what I can see in experimenting that Resolve 10 is already doing a better job with this than 9. Time will tell.

ChrisContiPhoto

Quote from: Rabbity Jack on September 13, 2013, 07:40:51 PM
Yes, I have been able to record clips longer than 4GB. Just tonight I recorded a 9GB test clip that was automatically broken into three files which Raw Magic combined with no problems at all. (used the Sept 12 build)
That doesn't help, because the auto-start leaves gaps in the clips. I need continuous clips with no gaps.

Quote from: 1% on September 13, 2013, 07:29:20 PM
7D *does* support exfat, its in the FW strings. But 7D doesn't want to let you use it on cards under 128GB. I think this would need an actual firmware patch which I'm unsure how to do... in theory it would gain some speed.
Iiiiinteresting.... so exFAT would work on 128+GB cards? 1%, do you think the process I used above would work if I used a 128GB card?

Muchos gracias!!

1%

Possibly, I don't have one to test but I see the exfat strings... maybe there is a way to fake out the camera and make it think the card is 128gb... also dunno if fir will run from 128gb cards.

Rabbity Jack

Quote from: ChrisContiPhoto on September 13, 2013, 07:43:56 PM
That doesn't help, because the auto-start leaves gaps in the clips. I need continuous clips with no gaps.

I was talking about RAW recording, sorry. I realised afterwards that this is about H264 continuous recording. For RAW it just keeps on going without a pause.

blackjack102

Don't forget about upside down but no rush. I don't test new version to check it out, so I am not sure if it is fixed or not.

1%

What happens to upside down mode? I noticed it was disabled, worked on other stuff like forceLV and audio... It could be another master/slave issue.