7D Raw Thread

Started by noisyboy, August 05, 2013, 11:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: stevelucky on September 12, 2013, 06:09:44 PM
I'm curious as to the naming convention of RAW files.
The naming is related with the time of recording, it is not a sequential number.  i.e. 1618 = 4:18 pm
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

Rabbity Jack

Quote from: codypowers on September 11, 2013, 09:13:17 PM
I just shot an event video on a 5d Mkiii and a 7d, both shooting raw, all footage processed in Da Vinci.  The 5d stuff looked flawless.  As sharp as the C100, but with better color, and no compression issues.

The 7d stuff on the other hand, had purple fringes on all the highlights, and totally unusable aliasing and moire on most horizontal lines.  Short of a VAF filter or a stable implementation of the crop, I don't think I'd try to shoot this way again.

That being said, I still do prefer the look of the raw images to the h.264.  The work being done here is incredible.

Did you use a LUT when you were processing in Resolve? I have found the exact same ugly fringeing when using "Hunter's LUT" with my 7D raw footage. If I turn the LUT off and then process manually it seems to go away. Also, if I process through AE it is even cleaner (but this is the slowest possible way to work). I wonder, if this is a debayering issue, why 5Diii footage would look ok and if there is a way to change it.

rpedro

question image quality wise is there a difference between raw and mlv?

Also do you still have sometimes a pink frame in mlv?

Which is more stable?

Just wondering.

Also:

just a quick question: - since the last update (britom's build using 0x05) when I try to record normal video the controls freeze and I cannot stop record. Need actually to remove the battery. Any solution on that one?

- how do you do the 3x crop

thanks guys!

1%

MLV = slower with meta data
RAW = faster, no meta data

Other than that pretty much identical.

rpedro

rpedro

any idea about my crash? Is that normal?

stevelucky

Quote from: RenatoPhoto on September 12, 2013, 06:34:21 PM
The naming is related with the time of recording, it is not a sequential number.  i.e. 1618 = 4:18 pm

Ahhhh, that makes sense. Thank you very much. It would be nice to have the option to choose how the shots get numbered. Sequential numbering makes much more sense if you're trying to keep track of your shots.

1%

For the crash upgrade to a newer build... sound recording was freezing H264 till I fixed it.

vnguyen972

Quote from: 1% on September 12, 2013, 07:17:22 PM
For the crash upgrade to a newer build... sound recording was freezing H264 till I fixed it.

So I disabled Raw Video and recorded H264, but as soon as I hit Record, it displays on screen Audio disabled... how do I enable it?

Thanks.
Love my EOS7D!

tonybeccar

First of all HUGE THANK YOU to 1% for continuing the development!! I have one doubt.. you said earlier that headphone monitoring was *quite* working?? I didn't understand completely.. I don't have all the adapters for the canon cable.. but as soon as I connect the usb into the camera the screen goes black.. is it possible or still no?

Thanks!!

1%

Ok, this should fix motion detection.. uses edmac 05 like britcom. Wav menus are in audio like they should be.

https://bitbucket.org/OtherOnePercent/tragic-lantern-6d/downloads/%5B7D%5DEDM05MotDetectFix.zip

As to headphone, yea it works but I have to figure out how to unblack the screen since its on the master... and its double hard because I want it to work in non fir mode. The only adapter you need is the one that came with the camera + an RCA to female headphone jack converter.... I guess you could feed it to anything though.

vnguyen972

Quote from: 1% on September 12, 2013, 08:27:00 PM
Ok, this should fix motion detection.. uses edmac 05 like britcom. Wav menus are in audio like they should be.

https://bitbucket.org/OtherOnePercent/tragic-lantern-6d/downloads/%5B7D%5DEDM05MotDetectFix.zip

As to headphone, yea it works but I have to figure out how to unblack the screen since its on the master... and its double hard because I want it to work in non fir mode. The only adapter you need is the one that came with the camera + an RCA to female headphone jack converter.... I guess you could feed it to anything though.

Awesome... I see the Audio menu to record separate wav file now... will test it!

EDIT: test result (Thanks 1%)
1. Disabled Raw: record H264, it splits out a WAV file and a MOV file (I have option of "separate" wav file set)
2. Enabled Raw: record raw, it also splits out a Wav file but no audio recorded.

The WAV file from #1 has some pops mixed in with the audio... so weird... not sure what caused it... I tried to remove it but couldn't..."click removal filter" in Audition doesn't help any.
Love my EOS7D!

szigiszmund

when i try to load fir on your new release i got this erro mesage  and camera freeze.
Update file cannot be found.PLease check the memory card and reload the battery and try again.
I have to remove the battery.

szigiszmund

If i replace the fir with the fir from first realase,then after the upfate i'ts finised the screen goes black end camera refuse to responde.

1%

Re download... it was signed as 5DII... I'll check for pops, maybe its a bug.

szigiszmund

no change ,same update error.

ted ramasola

updated with latest build. Successful. havent tested audio yet.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

1%

I am finding the popping (sounds like a tazer).. to get rid of it you can record a blank track and invert but I have to see wtf its going on.

Make sure you take the sym file/fir/bin from the newest.. you may be getting a cached copy.

britom

edmac 05 seems better as i havent seen any pink frames in my slow transcend... can anyone confirm?
7D Builds with RAW support: http://bit.ly/14Llzda

szigiszmund

I use to delete evrithing from the card befor i put new version on it
sym file its 36,2 KB date 12/09/2013 13:13
autoexec fir its 415 KB date 12/09/2013 13:15
autoexec bin its 407 KB  date 12/09/2013 13:13
This ones i have on my card end stil not update.

1%

Ok, well I fixed the popping.. it was configuring audio too often. I'll just rename it and upload.

https://bitbucket.org/OtherOnePercent/tragic-lantern-6d/downloads/%5B7D%5DPopStop.zip

I should probably do some checks to make sure it only configures like this after coming out of play mode, but it works OK. See if edmac memcpy wav plays nice with recording really high bitrate video or if it holds it up. Theoretically it will be done copying wav data faster.

Bjlemenager

Quote from: Rabbity Jack on September 12, 2013, 06:37:53 PM
Did you use a LUT when you were processing in Resolve? I have found the exact same ugly fringeing when using "Hunter's LUT" with my 7D raw footage. If I turn the LUT off and then process manually it seems to go away. Also, if I process through AE it is even cleaner (but this is the slowest possible way to work). I wonder, if this is a debayering issue, why 5Diii footage would look ok and if there is a way to change it.

I wonder if it's due to the 14bit depth that the 7D footage has. As far as I know, Resolve only handles up to 12? Correct me if I'm wrong. I was having the same issues until I processed the footage through ACR in AE. I'm not sure if there's an easy way to go from 14 to 12 though. Maybe after you flatten your footage out, you can compress to a 10bit codec for working on your color grade.

Bjlemenager

Quote from: codypowers on September 11, 2013, 09:13:17 PM
I just shot an event video on a 5d Mkiii and a 7d, both shooting raw, all footage processed in Da Vinci.  The 5d stuff looked flawless.  As sharp as the C100, but with better color, and no compression issues.

The 7d stuff on the other hand, had purple fringes on all the highlights, and totally unusable aliasing and moire on most horizontal lines.  Short of a VAF filter or a stable implementation of the crop, I don't think I'd try to shoot this way again.

That being said, I still do prefer the look of the raw images to the h.264.  The work being done here is incredible.

Posted this accidentally on another post, meant to go here:
I wonder if it's due to the 14bit depth that the 7D footage has. As far as I know, Resolve only handles up to 12? Correct me if I'm wrong. I was having the same issues until I processed the footage through ACR in AE. I'm not sure if there's an easy way to go from 14 to 12 though. Maybe after you flatten your footage out, you can compress to a 10bit codec for working on your color grade.

vnguyen972

Quote from: 1% on September 12, 2013, 10:22:35 PM
Ok, well I fixed the popping.. it was configuring audio too often. I'll just rename it and upload.

so it can be downloaded from the same link (above) ?
Love my EOS7D!

arrinkiiii

Quote from: vnguyen972 on September 12, 2013, 10:25:21 PM
so it can be downloaded from the same link (above) ?

Quote from: 1% on September 12, 2013, 10:22:35 PM

https://bitbucket.org/OtherOnePercent/tragic-lantern-6d/downloads/%5B7D%5DPopStop.zip

I should probably do some checks to make sure it only configures like this after coming out of play mode, but it works OK. See if edmac memcpy wav plays nice with recording really high bitrate video or if it holds it up. Theoretically it will be done copying wav data faster.