7D Raw Thread

Started by noisyboy, August 05, 2013, 11:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonFlame

I have definitely seen Alias issues in 1x mode when recording things like fences, brick walls, dense shrubbery and certain types of clothing, color banding/moire ect not so much.
I have pretty much stuck to 5x recording because these issues are literally non existent when using it.
I don't have a VAF filter so I could not tell you if it works.

I find that the aliasing is worse in raw but you don't really see color banding like the image you posted above, I'm guessing to colors have a lot to do with the h.264 compression.

When scaling your footage to 1080p the aliasing is decreased but still apparent.

Brawl

Quote from: DragonFlame on September 12, 2013, 03:30:18 AM
I have definitely seen Alias issues in 1x mode when recording things like fences, brick walls, dense shrubbery and certain types of clothing, color banding/moire ect not so much.
I have pretty much stuck to 5x recording because these issues are literally non existent when using it.
I don't have a VAF filter so I could not tell you if it works.

I find that the aliasing is worse in raw but you don't really see color banding like the image you posted above, I'm guessing to colors have a lot to do with the h.264 compression.

When scaling your footage to 1080p the aliasing is decreased but still apparent.

thx for help. About moire I watched this video that is one on the best 7D RAW footage on Vimeo.
here is the "uncompressed" video. http://vimeo.com/71649487/download?t=1378950794&v=181231606&s=a8e87c16dcbca691562381a603b3000c

After watching it I believe that maybe RAW on 7D is not usable for professional use. tell me what do you think please.
moire is very present and ugly. look on the statue. and is anywhere but heavy ad I never seen before in any other video in my life.

aliasing seems there as usual maybe looks worse because of the high contrast. you can notice it very well on the carriage take (for one second then it cut to another take).

the moire is a very big problem I see. is possible to correct it in post processing? Please help me to understand I want not to criticize I just want to understand. I just try to argument my fears.

Thx

ericjolley

I haven't encountered any moire in 7d raw with my mosaic filter installed.  And I shot a local commercial on it so I think professionals can definitely make use of it.

vnguyen972

That video looks great but it was shot in burst mode...that was one of the first video we saw about raw on 7D... maybe there was something different in that mode? I'm only guessing :)
Love my EOS7D!

stevelucky

My card became full after a bunch of shooting a bunch of MLV raw video and I wanted to delete a couple files in the File Manager to make some space. I deleted a couple files but it still told me the card was full. I went into the File Manager and the files that I had deleted weren't in there anymore so I was confused. I took the card out and checked it on my computer but those files were still on the card. It seems that the delete function in the File Manager isn't working properly. Can anyone confirm this?

vnguyen972

I just tested with both RAW and MLV and I was able to delete from the File Manager in ML... though it was only 2-3 files...
Love my EOS7D!

1%

It doesn't update the file catalog until you reboot.. don't remember if it lets you start shooting anyway.

stevelucky

Quote from: vnguyen972 on September 12, 2013, 06:45:44 AM
I just tested with both RAW and MLV and I was able to delete from the File Manager in ML... though it was only 2-3 files...

And did you pull the card out and verify in your computer that the files were actually deleted?

stevelucky

Quote from: 1% on September 12, 2013, 07:17:08 AM
It doesn't update the file catalog until you reboot.. don't remember if it lets you start shooting anyway.

It was updated in the File Manager, but it still said the card was full. When I put the card in my computer, the files were still on the card.

Brawl

Quote from: vnguyen972 on September 12, 2013, 05:45:54 AM
That video looks great but it was shot in burst mode...that was one of the first video we saw about raw on 7D... maybe there was something different in that mode? I'm only guessing :)
thx, what I have to watch to see how does RAW really works today? what is burst mode and which is the common method?

Brawl

Quote from: ericjolley on September 12, 2013, 05:15:59 AM
I haven't encountered any moire in 7d raw with my mosaic filter installed.  And I shot a local commercial on it so I think professionals can definitely make use of it.

are you sure it's the mosaic filter that give the boost? maybe it could be the same with or without?

can you show me some footage please? that would be definitely what could make me buy the 7D. :)

thx

DragonFlame

If your willing to record in 5x mode then you will never see moire or alias issues, I'm considering getting a filter soon to test the performance with 1x mode but I'm almost certain that it will just decrease but not completely remove it in 1x mode.

As for professional use I would ask what camera alternative at the same price range would you consider?
I don't know of any I would like to buy that can do what the cannon cameras can atm and not break an average consumers wallet, if you can afford a 5d3 then yes it will be a better option but its also a lot more expensive for what I consider minor improvements, I would only recommend people spend the extra if you have cash to throw around, the black magic is another but I personally hated the camera design even tho the image is reasonable.

Am I planning to use the 7D professionally? Yes indeed I will be, have I yet? No not yet due to some limitations that are mostly just due to the fact the firmware is in alpha and needs some love which I'm happy it has been getting a lot in the last month.

Brawl

Quote from: codypowers on September 11, 2013, 09:13:17 PM
I just shot an event video on a 5d Mkiii and a 7d, both shooting raw, all footage processed in Da Vinci.  The 5d stuff looked flawless.  As sharp as the C100, but with better color, and no compression issues.

The 7d stuff on the other hand, had purple fringes on all the highlights, and totally unusable aliasing and moire on most horizontal lines.  Short of a VAF filter or a stable implementation of the crop, I don't think I'd try to shoot this way again.

That being said, I still do prefer the look of the raw images to the h.264.  The work being done here is incredible.
Sorry I have not understand (because English is not my native language), are you saying that you have not tried yet  the 7D with VAF filters right?

This filter is my last hope. I cannot shoot in 5x because of space limitations. 

Quote from: DragonFlame on September 12, 2013, 10:12:13 AM
If your willing to record in 5x mode then you will never see moire or alias issues, I'm considering getting a filter soon to test the performance with 1x mode but I'm almost certain that it will just decrease but not completely remove it in 1x mode.

As for professional use I would ask what camera alternative at the same price range would you consider?
I don't know of any I would like to buy that can do what the cannon cameras can atm and not break an average consumers wallet, if you can afford a 5d3 then yes it will be a better option but its also a lot more expensive for what I consider minor improvements, I would only recommend people spend the extra if you have cash to throw around, the black magic is another but I personally hated the camera design even tho the image is reasonable.

Am I planning to use the 7D professionally? Yes indeed I will be, have I yet? No not yet due to some limitations that are mostly just due to the fact the firmware is in alpha and needs some love which I'm happy it has been getting a lot in the last month.

I agree with you on the price factor but I need to wash that moire and aliasing (seen in that video) off if I want to work with this. I'm going to spend 700 euros, I never have spend so much money before to be honest. I need to know if with 200+ euros for a VAF filter then I can work with this camera. It's almost 1000 euros in total.

kh3naz

is there a way to delete the RAW files from within the camera or at least cancel/delete the current recording ? This would be really useful

JCBEos

Quote from: kh3naz on September 12, 2013, 10:53:02 AM
is there a way to delete the RAW files from within the camera or at least cancel/delete the current recording ? This would be really useful

yes you can delete using the file manager
My Youtube Channel -> comments and likes welcome ;)

hbr

Ok so I was half right/half wrong about the motion blur....
So, there is noticeable motion blur while recording in raw, but after a few tests I figured that the motion blur while recording RAW is indeed a bit smaller than on H264, with the exact same settings.
Maybe I am so used to watching H264 and now RAW looks odd to me... Anyway here is a quick test on this:

http://s11.postimg.org/qthvd9vxv/Untitled_1.jpg

rpedro

finally read the 40 pages and am up to date. Great work all seriously good stuff.

just a quick question: - since the last update (britom's build using 0x05) when I try to record normal video the controls freeze and I cannot stop record. Need actually to remove the battery. Any solution on that one?

- how do you do the 3x crop?

thanks guys,

Pedro

1%

There was a bug like that with audio till I fixed it.

It won't stop saying card full because the catalog (separate from the file system) doesn't update till you reboot.

Jim Jarmusch

I'm not sure why but with 1% build I can't shoot continuos with with 2.20 aspect ratio 17some 7some, which I could before with my sandisk 8gb 60mb.
Now i can shoot continuously with 2.67 aspect ratio an not thicker. Any idea?

Rai2121

Quote from: Brawl on September 12, 2013, 09:31:17 AM
are you sure it's the mosaic filter that give the boost? maybe it could be the same with or without?

can you show me some footage please? that would be definitely what could make me buy the 7D. :)

thx

Brawl, Here is a video I did with the Mosaic Filter installed. All the images looked pretty clean to me. Hope this helps.

vnguyen972

Quote from: stevelucky on September 12, 2013, 07:43:03 AM
And did you pull the card out and verify in your computer that the files were actually deleted?

I just did a test by recording 3 files and then deleted it via the File Manager in ML, then took the card out and verified in my PC that those files are gone.
Love my EOS7D!

stevelucky

Quote from: vnguyen972 on September 12, 2013, 04:45:05 PM
I just did a test by recording 3 files and then deleted it via the File Manager in ML, then took the card out and verified in my PC that those files are gone.

Alrighty then. It must be me. Maybe... I don't know but I'm sure I must have done something wrong.  :-[

vnguyen972

Quote from: stevelucky on September 12, 2013, 04:57:34 PM
Alrighty then. It must be me. Maybe... I don't know but I'm sure I must have done something wrong.  :-[

maybe a different version of File Manager module?
Love my EOS7D!

stevelucky

Quote from: vnguyen972 on September 12, 2013, 05:39:37 PM
maybe a different version of File Manager module?

It was from the most recent posted build.

stevelucky

I'm curious as to the naming convention of RAW files. I was shooting for a few hours yesterday (only MLV raw video, no stills or h.264) and when I came back to check my files, there were interesting gaps in the numbers. My files would look something like this:

M11-1618.MLV
M11-1619.MLV
M11-1620.MLV
M11-1622.MLV
M11-1623.MLV
M11-1624.MLV
M11-1642.MLV
M11-1643.MLV

As you can see there are some interesting gaps in the numbering. I didn't delete these files. The file numbers just skip from 1620 t0 1622 (there's no 1621). Or from 1624 to 1642. There's a whole bunch of missing numbers in there. As I said, I didn't delete any files. I may have shut my camera off in between shots (and reload the firmware when it booted back up to get the FPS override), but that's about it. Is that weird? I would think it should be perfectly sequential.