7D Raw Thread

Started by noisyboy, August 05, 2013, 11:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vnguyen972

Quote from: Jared on September 11, 2013, 07:55:00 PM
hi guys! sorry but I don't know to much about, can somebody explain to me about "FPS OVERRIDE" ? what is the use of it and how to use it correctly? thanks!!!..

2. How have I to setting my camera to obtein hight quality or best quality recording raw?    About The quality in shoots may I do it in JPG-S and S-RAW? Thanks for the help!!!  :D

I am new too but I think FPS override means just that.. you override the fps that was set by Cannon... let's say you want to record a video at 10fps, without ML and without FPS override, you can't.... or if you want to do time lapse but I'm not sure if that's the main purpose :) another thing I read was that in crop (zoom) mode without fps override, you'd always get 30fps...

I read that you should set the camera to JPG-S for speedy write to the card?
Love my EOS7D!

britom

There are two jpg-s modes, the fine-s (the icon that looks like a mountain) and the regular-s (looks like stairs)... wich one should i select?
7D Builds with RAW support: http://bit.ly/14Llzda

1%

Any of the jpeg modes free the same amount of memory... any of the raw qualities write the same... look at memory info in the debug menu.

codypowers

I just shot an event video on a 5d Mkiii and a 7d, both shooting raw, all footage processed in Da Vinci.  The 5d stuff looked flawless.  As sharp as the C100, but with better color, and no compression issues.

The 7d stuff on the other hand, had purple fringes on all the highlights, and totally unusable aliasing and moire on most horizontal lines.  Short of a VAF filter or a stable implementation of the crop, I don't think I'd try to shoot this way again.

That being said, I still do prefer the look of the raw images to the h.264.  The work being done here is incredible.

britom

7D Builds with RAW support: http://bit.ly/14Llzda

JOSHardson

Quote from: 1% on September 11, 2013, 08:47:56 PM
Yea, but on 7D how much moire do you really get... 6D you point at anything and pretty much get moire (obvious), 7D I've yet to see it. Seems many people are just avoiding it based on the hive-mind nonzoom == moire. Any examples?

I have witnessed pretty bad aliasing in my 1x footage. Haven't tested on patterns specifically.

arrinkiiii

7D it's full of moire in 1x =((    ...need VAF

Jared

Thanx

another question

when shot with the option  RAW = 30sec recording at 1280x720 at 30fps
when shot with the option JPG-L = 60sec recording at 1280x720 at 60fps

my question is, raw video quality depends if shot in RAW or JPG-L??
:D
Photographer, Videographer, RawVideo Lover.
Canon 7D / Canon 5DMKIII

arrinkiiii

No. Just size of buffer.

hbr

Quote from: 1% on September 10, 2013, 09:11:59 PM
It doesn't seem like there is motion blur but a lot of rolling shutter...

Actually I am saying that I think there is no motion blur at all . . . . and that is the bad thing .. because video looks jittery.
I think with H264, if you record fast moving subject or fast moving camera with 1/50 shutter speed (for 25fps) you can see really nice motion blur,
but with the same settings in RAW there is no motion blur at all...

Will test this as soon as I can and will post the results....

ted ramasola

Quote from: hbr on September 11, 2013, 10:02:24 PM
Actually I am saying that I think there is no motion blur at all . . . . and that is the bad thing .. because video looks jittery.
I think with H264, if you record fast moving subject or fast moving camera with 1/50 shutter speed (for 25fps) you can see really nice motion blur,
but with the same settings in RAW there is no motion blur at all...

Will test this as soon as I can and will post the results....
are you shooting in crop mode or 1x?
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

Rewind

Quotethere is no motion blur at all
Wow, you broke the laws of physics ))

stevelucky

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like I no longer have to do a firmware update every time to get the FPS override to be available, right? When I shut down the camera and turn it back on, I still see the FPS override. I haven't tested to see if it works, but the fact that it's still there seems to imply that I don't need to do a firmware update every time. Can someone confirm this?

dmk

Quote from: 1% on September 11, 2013, 08:47:56 PM
Yea, but on 7D how much moire do you really get... 6D you point at anything and pretty much get moire (obvious), 7D I've yet to see it. Seems many people are just avoiding it based on the hive-mind nonzoom == moire. Any examples?

I'm still waiting for my CF card/reader... hopefully it'll arrive tomorrow! Takes forever to ship overseas :\

So I'm not sure if it's the same thing, but I saw it fairly often in regular h.264. Enough that I learned my lesson to pay more attention to wardrobe and insist on no thin lines.

If consistent 24fps in crop mode is a realistic goal, and it solves this problem definitively, I think it's worthwhile to focus energy on it, but whatever you enjoy working on should take priority imho :)

vnguyen972

Quote from: stevelucky on September 11, 2013, 10:23:18 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like I no longer have to do a firmware update every time to get the FPS override to be available, right? When I shut down the camera and turn it back on, I still see the FPS override. I haven't tested to see if it works, but the fact that it's still there seems to imply that I don't need to do a firmware update every time. Can someone confirm this?

That's what I thought too... but the fact that the option Video Hacks aren't available and when changing to lower frame rate, you won't see any different, it means it wasn't loaded and won't work correctly... (thanks to 1% to point these out to me)
Love my EOS7D!

hbr

@ted ramasola

I noticed that both in 1x and crop mode . . . will definitely do some serious testing to see if I am tripping . . .

@Rewind

Ok . . . much less noticeable motion blur ;-) but you all got my point ;-)

gajorro

This new raw_rec module is more buggy in terms of stability on my camera than previous. Often, when the buffer fills and recording stops camera is restarting, and everytime (three tests;)) there is error log for that:

QuoteASSERT: 0
at Memory\Memory.c:578, task RscMgr
lv:0 mode:3
Magic Lantern version : v2.3.NEXT.2013Sep10.7D203
Mercurial changeset   : 6ee6bdc1b66f (unified) tip
Built on 2013-09-10 19:14:01 UTC by user@D610.
Free Memory  : 358K + 2469K

What is good - after few tests there are no pink frames (despite my slow 400x lexar card) as they appeared in previous versions:)

When i push blacks up in ACR vertical stripes appear in shadow areas. I know it's because of canon sensor (changing settings in canon image menu has no effect) and one of the solutions for that is dual iso but AFAIK it doesn't work with video in 7d. I read (http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5614.msg42678#msg42678) that there are some corections for that in raw2dng.exe also, i recompiled the code with no correction and there is no difference between corrected and uncorrected image... So maybe corrections are tailored to 5dMk3 dng's?

1%

Thats a memory crash. The stripes suck... they are on digic V too... ADTG shutters help but I think they are on the master on 7D.

Any idea on how I can make it crash? Its stopping just fine for me.. only thing I notice is memory corruption when the card fills.. it beeps and gives a warning.

gajorro

Quote from: 1% on September 12, 2013, 12:28:27 AM
Thats a memory crash. The stripes suck... they are on digic V too... ADTG shutters help but I think they are on the master on 7D.

Yep, I saw it on my friend 5dmk3 footage also...

Quote from: 1% on September 12, 2013, 12:28:27 AM
Any idea on how I can make it crash? Its stopping just fine for me.. only thing I notice is memory corruption when the card fills.. it beeps and gives a warning.

I was trying to reproduce it but I couldn't:( Sometimes it just beeps, but everytime recording stops and buffer empty, screen goes black for a while. With some older versions it didn't happen... But as I mentioned, there are no (or less?) pink frames:) So thank you for amazing work!

1%

Its supposed to suspend/resume the LV but not crash... btw I took off compiler optimization completely now so maybe the bins being smaller will help avoid any memory issues here and elsewhere... but it does seem like we should have plenty.. there is 8MB free space running where its running.

QuoteI saw it fairly often in regular h.264.
That has 1 more resize so maybe slightly less in raw.

So whoever shot the 5DIII/7D together, any examples of the problem footage you can post, even just stills.

Brawl

hello, I'm seriously going in the 7D direction (my indecision is between buying 7D or 600D) but I wish to ask you first one last question please if it's possible. it's about moire and aliasing during RAW shooting on 7D (without cropping) are aliasing and moire the same that we can see with h.264 or are them worst? more ugly?

for aliasing I mean those two effects:

and is that true that shooting with 5x zoom eliminate aliasing and moire for 7D RAW?

do you believe that future implementation of the firmware could further improve the situation?

thanks.

p.s. how many gb heavy is 10 minutes videos in raw?

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: 1% on September 12, 2013, 01:09:46 AM
So whoever shot the 5DIII/7D together, any examples of the problem footage you can post, even just stills.
I own both, what kind of test do you want me to run?
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

1%

Examples of this:

QuoteThe 7d stuff on the other hand, had purple fringes on all the highlights, and totally unusable aliasing and moire on most horizontal lines.

Because debayer problems do this... I saw the same on 6D + cineform...

sephiroth

Quote from: Brawl on September 12, 2013, 01:31:09 AM
hello, I'm seriously going in the 7D direction (my indecision is between buying 7D or 600D) but I wish to ask you first one last question please if it's possible. it's about moire and aliasing during RAW shooting on 7D (without cropping) are aliasing and moire the same that we can see with h.264 or are them worst? more ugly?

for aliasing I mean those two effects:

and is that true that shooting with 5x zoom eliminate aliasing and moire for 7D RAW?

do you believe that future implementation of the firmware could further improve the situation?

thanks.

p.s. how many gb heavy is 10 minutes videos in raw?

Moire is an effect of the sensor, compression doesnt change that. You can decide which is uglier, RAW moire or moire with h.264 compression.
There are optical filters that are placed in the camera house to solve this, they cost a few hundred bucks. Moire will not go away with firmware updates.

Btw, most of your other questions are already on the forum, no need to ask them here.

Brawl

Quote from: sephiroth on September 12, 2013, 02:36:14 AM
Moire is an effect of the sensor, compression doesnt change that. You can decide which is uglier, RAW moire or moire with h.264 compression.
There are optical filters that are placed in the camera house to solve this, they cost a few hundred bucks. Moire will not go away with firmware updates.

Btw, most of your other questions are already on the forum, no need to ask them here.
thanks I have already found the other info on the forum.

about moire I have not understand why I can decide wich is uglier between RAW and h.264, shouldn't it be objective?
about VAF filter have it been already tested when shooting RAW? does it works for sure with this? I mean I know that in h.264 it works in 1920x1080 but it does not work in 1280x720 if I'm not wrong. RAW shooting is not 1920x1080 so I wonder to know if it has already been tested by someone.

thanks for help