7D Raw Thread

Started by noisyboy, August 05, 2013, 11:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

feureau

Mediafire link for 1%'s latest build posted in case people having problems with filedropper again: http://www.mediafire.com/download/84yvko04277zcfp/1%25_Sept_10_2013_%5B7D%5DAudioControlsFirBin.zip

EDIT: Also, crash log: http://www.mediafire.com/view/sxemqozmaukn4vu/CRASH00.LOG while trying to record raw with global draw off, the Live view won't zoom in to 5X. Hit play button, and half shutter to go back to liveview, zooms in to 5x, then hit record. Crash.

1%

Global draw off system wide? What preview mode?

60fps is still 60fps mode but I guess you can record it at 24P if you like moire.

So I'm getting higher speeds with quality set to raw even thought the buffer is smaller. Tops so far was 78.6 with shrunken LV and another hack.

feureau

Quote from: 1% on September 11, 2013, 12:27:51 AM
Global draw off system wide? What preview mode?
Not system wide, just disabled from the raw video module.
preview mode ML Grayscale.

Quote from: 1% on September 11, 2013, 12:27:51 AM
So I'm getting higher speeds with quality set to raw even thought the buffer is smaller. Tops so far was 78.6 with shrunken LV and another hack.

That is awesome. :D Is this in the last build you posted? (mein card tops off at 55mb/s :()

I've been trying to cheat the bandwidth by recording at 720p60 mode but shooting at 1728 and stretching the pic 1.4x in post...

Has anyone been getting black bars such as these to the right when shooting at 2.5k? http://i.imgur.com/KvXBGoX.jpg

1%

I'll see what happens with ML grayscale if disabling it while recording... works on other cameras but maybe not here?

With the image I'll have to check, sounds like skip right is wrong in zoom?

feureau

Quote from: 1% on September 11, 2013, 12:36:56 AM
I'll see what happens with ML grayscale if disabling it while recording... works on other cameras but maybe not here?

With the image I'll have to check, sounds like skip right is wrong in zoom?

Thanks! :D I don't know what's wrong with the image though. It used to work just fine before this...

jman

I've set aspect ratio to 2:35. The white crop box appears to be correct for this. My preview is set to hacked. When I press record the crop box disappears. What is the proper setting to retain the crop box?? Thanks for your help !!

alsey7

Audio question. How us quality. Or should I just be recording on external device and sync in post.?

ted ramasola

Trying to trick the camera into getting higher res in 60P so tried it in crop mode.

Set canon menu to 60P

engaged crop mode, set FPS override, but FPS only allows 30 fps max in crop mode even if canon menu is set to 60p.

So 30P will always be the max with crop mode?
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

1%

Ok, found the bug and some other things... fps override cuts your write down.

The mystery with 10x is semi solved.... the YUV becomes 720x56... in essence it breaks. Is this a bad thing tho? Without fps override in 10x no yuv I got 81 MB/s.

... so its possible to do call("lv_hd", 697); and set fps for 5x, then you can record at 80MB/s... but the image is damaged in zoom mode.. in normal LV its ok to record like this but no point.
So in theory the camera can write to do 1080P+ continuous like 50D.

So all this chasing of crop mode yet the camera seems to record a LARGE chunk of 1728x1152 with maybe some moire in non crop. Normal LV with 24fps.

vnguyen972

Played with 5x crop mode:
2048x872
2.35:1 ratio
fps override 23.976fps

Processed DNG with ACR in AfterFX then final output from PP.
Love my EOS7D!

feureau

Quote from: 1% on September 11, 2013, 03:17:36 AM
Ok, found the bug and some other things... fps override cuts your write down.

The mystery with 10x is semi solved.... the YUV becomes 720x56... in essence it breaks. Is this a bad thing tho? Without fps override in 10x no yuv I got 81 MB/s.

... so its possible to do call("lv_hd", 697); and set fps for 5x, then you can record at 80MB/s... but the image is damaged in zoom mode.. in normal LV its ok to record like this but no point.
So in theory the camera can write to do 1080P+ continuous like 50D.

So all this chasing of crop mode yet the camera seems to record a LARGE chunk of 1728x1152 with maybe some moire in non crop. Normal LV with 24fps.

That is great news! :D

I thought 50D can only go 1.5k or so...

The crop mode looks very good though. I wonder if it can just be automated without having to go to zoom first.

Btw, does anyone know how to batch convert the MLVs on a windows machine? Drag and dropping a bunch of files to mlv2dng only convert one file. :(

szymszymon

when will be available stable version raw rec..? alpha 3 or somthing that..sory for my ang..:)

humbs

Can i ask 1 thing?
When the 7d RAW will be available in firmware mode, as an easy way to install? ::)
I can't get it to work (macbook pro).

thank you.

Brawl

I know that 7D is 1729x972 RAW. this is a sub hd output and I do not know if it useful for professional use.
but RAW have better detail than h264.do you believe that 1729x972 RAW upscaled to 1920 is better than a native 1920x(X valor) in h264 native? or the image is less sharper, blurred?

thx for help.

1%

Its available in firmware mode already, if you feel like it you don't have to run the bin/bootflag it.

Why 1792x9 something... you can go all the way to 1792X11xx... that's larger than HDV.

I'll post the new raw_rec/mlv_rec soon, that crash was annoying.

kirklasalle

Quote from: feureau on September 11, 2013, 12:34:04 AM

I've been trying to cheat the bandwidth by recording at 720p60 mode but shooting at 1728 and stretching the pic 1.4x in post...

Has anyone been getting black bars such as these to the right when shooting at 2.5k? http://i.imgur.com/KvXBGoX.jpg

Same here... using a 32gb 400x card (works great so far even at about 36mb/s on card ) No bar on the side but, I did notice a small slice of a black bar at the bottom when scaling from 720 to to 1080 to see some quality difference...  Just at 1x too and I upscaled at about 18%, got rid of it at 20%
(sorry no pics, but the black bar was slim and was only on the bottom)

watsonjohnwatson

Quick Question.
My girlfriend is doing an outdoor static trapeze performance on friday and i would love to use raw to record it, the "professional" videographer used a old camera that did it 480i for her last performance and i was pretty pissed.

Its going to be about 4 and half minutes long. I have a 16gb sandisk Extreme card (not extreme pro). Even recording in 720p24 would be fine if 1080p24 would be a problem. Is any of this feasible at this point. Thanks for the noob help.

DragonFlame

Quote from: Brawl on September 11, 2013, 03:31:27 PM
I know that 7D is 1729x972 RAW. this is a sub hd output and I do not know if it useful for professional use.
but RAW have better detail than h264.do you believe that 1729x972 RAW upscaled to 1920 is better than a native 1920x(X valor) in h264 native? or the image is less sharper, blurred?

thx for help.

The 7D can already record at higher resolutions than that but if the question is about upscalling in general then yes even back when we were locked to 600 vertical res it was still a much cleaner less blurry and artifact free image when upscalling to 1080p compared to h264 compression, I would not go back to using h264 professionally after raw.

Most profesionals in the film industry wont touch a camera that doesnt support raw, the whole point of getting a camera with raw support is for professionals who need a lossless image to work with.

DragonFlame

Quote from: watsonjohnwatson on September 11, 2013, 06:03:29 PM
Quick Question.
My girlfriend is doing an outdoor static trapeze performance on friday and i would love to use raw to record it, the "professional" videographer used a old camera that did it 480i for her last performance and i was pretty pissed.

Its going to be about 4 and half minutes long. I have a 16gb sandisk Extreme card (not extreme pro). Even recording in 720p24 would be fine if 1080p24 would be a problem. Is any of this feasible at this point. Thanks for the noob help.

You should be able to get over 6 minutes of 720p on a 16gb, 1080p is not yet possible.
Be aware that this is still very much in alpha so it might not be the best idea to take footage of an event that can't be repeated as there always a chance something will fail with the build, I would recommend you try the latest build out and get used to it and decide for yourself if its stable enough for what you want to record, finding out on the day would suck.

watsonjohnwatson

Quote from: DragonFlame on September 11, 2013, 06:22:42 PM
You should be able to get over 6 minutes of 720p on a 16gb, 1080p is not yet possible.
Be aware that this is still very much in alpha so it might not be the best idea to take footage of an event that can't be repeated as there always a chance something will fail with the build, I would recommend you try the latest build out and get used to it and decide for yourself if its stable enough for what you want to record, finding out on the day would suck.

Thats mostly what i gathered from reading the past thread. 1080p24h.264 is still going to blow the old 480i footage away. Thanks for the clarification.

1%

Ok, here is a less buggy raw_rec

raw_rec.mo
https://mega.co.nz/#!BsRFyDAY!bkSIWEiKSMjPonsGu4TF4w-E0Rxf9s_79UFiO5ROdUU

mlv_rec.mo
https://mega.co.nz/#!c8o3AD4T!PPesPnZ2hGy_BTg9xIital2sA9QfbOLk9XEYgrYyfts

The 1038 isn't 100% continuous but does a good bunch of minutes... the 1152 isn't bad either. I'd rather be recording that for anything narrative, its so close to 1080P or even slightly bigger in terms of height... I don't see why you would be using 972 unless you have a 128/256 card and really need it to go for that 1/2 hour - 15 minutes. The H264 "1080P" is a manipulation of these sizes anyway... unless you're really against scaling at all.

On 50D the horizontal is 1584 and the vertical stops at 1058... a slightly larger upscale and an older sensor... so I can see zoom mode being better there. On 7D the zoom is mainly useful for 2K.

dmk

Quote from: 1% on September 11, 2013, 06:59:03 PM
On 7D the zoom is mainly useful for 2K.

I thought a lot of it had to do with avoiding moire/aliasing due to line skipping in the non-zoomed?

Jared

hi guys! sorry but I don't know to much about, can somebody explain to me about "FPS OVERRIDE" ? what is the use of it and how to use it correctly? thanks!!!..

2. How have I to setting my camera to obtein hight quality or best quality recording raw?    About The quality in shoots may I do it in JPG-S and S-RAW? Thanks for the help!!!  :D
Photographer, Videographer, RawVideo Lover.
Canon 7D / Canon 5DMKIII

1%

I thought a lot of it had to do with avoiding moire/aliasing due to line skipping in the non-zoomed?

Yea, but on 7D how much moire do you really get... 6D you point at anything and pretty much get moire (obvious), 7D I've yet to see it. Seems many people are just avoiding it based on the hive-mind nonzoom == moire. Any examples?