7D Raw Thread

Started by noisyboy, August 05, 2013, 11:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ted ramasola

Quote from: 1% on August 31, 2013, 04:12:02 AM
But the 1200X worked? So tell me how it won't load an autoexec.bin from the card?

For the 1050x the camera just can't see .fir files.

Weather it's canon .fir or magic lantern .fir.

Even when the camera is already bootflaged with another card and you make the 1050x bootable via EOScard, the camera can't see the autoexec.bin file.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

nick.p

For those people who want to process mlv files on a mac, I have created a gui wrapper for the mlv2dng program:
http://www.nickpotts.com.au/downloads/mlv2dng.zip

mucher

@Britom: I think that I owe you at least a test. Your latest build, have to say, didn't bump the resolution one stop higher, but surely is one step towards stability. Thanks.

BTW, I keep only raw_rec.mo module only in the modules directory, that seems a little more stable.

JCBEos

Hello guys

I've modified the Crop bitmap created to shoot at 2.5k by adding a red rectangle to frame in 1920*818 (crop mode 2.35)

if you want to DL it:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iw9644aul8tsukt/1920_818.BMP

:-*

btw as usual sorry for my english...
My Youtube Channel -> comments and likes welcome ;)

arrinkiiii

feureau

Btw, what do all y'all use in the buffer fill method and CF-only buffers?

I find my fastest combination is with buffer fill method 3 and CF-only buffer 8.

JCBEos

Quote from: arrinkiiii on August 31, 2013, 07:48:59 PM
Thanks JCBEos  :D

compared to the job that is done here, that's nothing... really

btw you're welcome!;D
My Youtube Channel -> comments and likes welcome ;)

wheezl

Quote from: feureau on August 31, 2013, 09:08:27 PM
Btw, what do all y'all use in the buffer fill method and CF-only buffers?

I find my fastest combination is with buffer fill method 3 and CF-only buffer 8.

The best fill methods for me have been 2 and 4.  2 seems slightly better but that could just be my imagination.   I haven't done any testing where I've isolated the CF-Only buffers and actually properly tested it.

ted ramasola

I'm still hesitant to try the MLV version vs the RAW version of 7D builds.

Those who tried it, does it offer higher resolution over the raw version in 1x and in crop mode?

currently with britom's  aug 30 build were still at 1728 x 972 in 1X.

Are the app for converting mlv backwards compatible with raw files we might already be on archive?
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

ulysnep

I've been a silent observer up until this point but thought I would speak up. :)

I just tried out Britom's Aug 30 build on about 15 short videos today (1152 x 576 on a Kingston 16gb 133x =~9sec) and virtually all my videos have at least one pink-glitch frame. This never happened when I ran the same res with BrunoNicko's Aug 26 build.

I'm really liking the MLV format versus RAW. MLV keeps the video's ISO, shutter speed, aperture, etc. whereas RAW has nothing (unless I'm missing something?).

Nice work though! I can't begin to tell you how excited I get when new versions of the raw_rec come out.

Cheers!

feureau

Quote from: ted ramasola on September 01, 2013, 02:52:51 AM

Those who tried it, does it offer higher resolution over the raw version in 1x and in crop mode?

Are the app for converting mlv backwards compatible with raw files we might already be on archive?

Same resolution pretty much. You still get the same stream and the resulting DNG. But one thing for sure, you get faster write speeds with MLV, letting you record higher resolution with the same card.

for the second part: I think you accidentally a sentence.

Quote from: ulysnep on September 01, 2013, 05:23:01 AM
I've been a silent observer up until this point but thought I would speak up. :)

I just tried out Britom's Aug 30 build on about 15 short videos today (1152 x 576 on a Kingston 16gb 133x =~9sec) and virtually all my videos have at least one pink-glitch frame. This never happened when I ran the same res with BrunoNicko's Aug 26 build.

I'm really liking the MLV format versus RAW. MLV keeps the video's ISO, shutter speed, aperture, etc. whereas RAW has nothing (unless I'm missing something?).

Nice work though! I can't begin to tell you how excited I get when new versions of the raw_rec come out.

Cheers!

The RAW version of raw_rec writes a LOT slower than the new MLV version. If you're getting pink, it's because the camera can't write to the card as fast. Hence you're not getting pink in the MLV version. Either you upgrade to a fast card or switch to the MLV version.

arrinkiiii

Quote from: feureau on September 01, 2013, 06:09:41 AM
The RAW version of raw_rec writes a LOT slower than the new MLV version. If you're getting pink, it's because the camera can't write to the card as fast. Hence you're not getting pink in the MLV version. Either you upgrade to a fast card or switch to the MLV version.

Indeed... and the workflow is the same raw2dng <=> mlv2dng  Sooner or later we all going to change... embrace the future  :)

jman

When shooting video is it better to shoot with global draw on or off ? Using MLV build.

wheezl

Quote from: ted ramasola on September 01, 2013, 02:52:51 AM
I'm still hesitant to try the MLV version vs the RAW version of 7D builds.

On my Sandisk Extreme Pro 16GB (60MB/s) I get over 3MB/s more.  This works out to a bump to 2.20 from 2.35 for me in 1x.  It would be interesting to see how it works with the Komputerbay cards you have.

Using mlv2dng is easy enough as well.

ted ramasola

what about spanned files of more than 4gig? Whats the best method or is there a developed app like rawanizer for the PC that will handle 4gig + files?

Once I'm convinced to try it now than later I'll test how the KomputerBay Cards on how they handle with MLV.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

_iLiam

I'm not sure if i'm missing something very obvious but which build is the MLV build? I'm currently running the ml_britom_30_aug build.
Is the MLV the nick_g3ggo build? Thanks.
| Canon 5D | Canon7D | 85mm f1.2 | 18-135mm | 50mm f1.8 | 70-200 f4 | 28mm f2.8 |
www.liamnewman.co.uk

nick.p

Quote from: _iLiam on September 01, 2013, 01:23:53 PM
I'm not sure if i'm missing something very obvious but which build is the MLV build? I'm currently running the ml_britom_30_aug build.
Is the MLV the nick_g3ggo build? Thanks.
Yes

dmk

Where do you compile the raw_rec module? To get started, I ran make from the main hudson repository and it builds everything fine. G3gg0's failed for me but then I tried limiting it to "make 7D" and it compiled too.

But now I go into the modules directory on either repository, and make does nothing.

Running make from the modules/raw_rec directory fails for me the same reason from both- "/usr/include/features.h:324:26: fatal error: bits/predefs.h: No such file or directory"

I guess I could start fiddling with the Makefile's, but that can't be right, I'm probably missing some basic step...

Using the newest toolchain on ubuntu 12.04 vm 64bit with libc6-i386 installed, in case that matters

alsey7

OK guys got a question. Well two question
First in burst mode is there anyway to just capture a certain resolution like cinascope or 720p in the ml setting or do ijust gave to change in post aka adobe AE.
Wyy is raw record doesnt capture same quality like burst mode. Or is raw rec some hack and not aame quality like 5dm2 or other canon.

Thx guys i know 7d is behind in development

1%

Well its not 100% complete but here is MLV + my raw_rec... Missing delete last video so far but the menu is a bit cluttered.

https://bitbucket.org/OtherOnePercent/tragic-lantern-6d/src/e31654dc276bc4354d3e1c00d37d0170c31adcb6/modules/mlv_rec?at=unified

I think it should run on 7D/50D/5DIII/II, etc. I didn't fix the cf card hardcoding yet.

Verdict: 1-2MB slower, IME base needs to not have a menu item.

alsey7

Quote from: 1% on September 02, 2013, 02:18:27 AM
Well its not 100% complete but here is MLV + my raw_rec... Missing delete last video so far but the menu is a bit cluttered.

https://bitbucket.org/OtherOnePercent/tragic-lantern-6d/src/e31654dc276bc4354d3e1c00d37d0170c31adcb6/modules/mlv_rec?at=unified

I think it should run on 7D/50D/5DIII/II, etc. I didn't fix the cf card hardcoding yet.

Verdict: 1-2MB slower, IME base needs to not have a menu item.

Thx  so I just download it and install in on my current ml built?

1%

Yea, I posted a compiled one, if it used MLV before then this should run. Does the cache hack work?

britom

:D Thanks a lot 1%, it's looking good, i'm about to test it.

I've posted a build with your modules here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7987
7D Builds with RAW support: http://bit.ly/14Llzda

feureau

Quote from: ted ramasola on September 01, 2013, 10:19:26 AM
what about spanned files of more than 4gig? Whats the best method or is there a developed app like rawanizer for the PC that will handle 4gig + files?

Once I'm convinced to try it now than later I'll test how the KomputerBay Cards on how they handle with MLV.

The camera automatically creates new file when it hits 4 gig. If you make a long recording, it will result in multiple files. You just drag the first .mlv file to the mlv2dng thingy.

ted ramasola

Quote from: feureau on September 02, 2013, 05:36:49 AM
The camera automatically creates new file when it hits 4 gig. If you make a long recording, it will result in multiple files. You just drag the first .mlv file to the mlv2dng thingy.

Thanks feureau. I think I might give it a go this week. Hopefully the 5D2 will also be ported with mlv. or is it already?

For now I use rawanizer to process footage from both 5d2 and 7d. It would be a pain to use different process for each camera.

I like the progress being made on the 7D now, and the priority I see in the 7D developement should be;

--FPS over ride. ( so crop mode can increase in resolution by using 24fps, )

--Porting the proper framing preview in crop mode being used in 5d2.
(but this also need improvement even on the 5d2, proper framing should be maintained during recording to make this really useful)

--Interface options so we can choose to remove some info cluttering the frame while recording.

--with faster benchmark speeds, hopefully higher resolutions above 1728 x 972 in 1X mode will be possible.

Hopefully with more devs jumping on the 7d work things are now expedited.
Good job and good luck developers!
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas