7D Raw Thread

Started by noisyboy, August 05, 2013, 11:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jman

With this new build ML7D.....do I have to reformat or just drag and drop the files onto the card??? Thanks!!!

feureau

Quote from: britom on August 30, 2013, 06:42:47 PM
My Latest build:

- Latest fixes (Small hacks, some ettr stuff) from https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/commits/all
- All the modules working including autoexpo.mo
- I'm getting faster speeds compared to my latest build (+3mb/s) using the normal raw_rec that outputs .raw format (Can anyone else confirm?)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ifyeas56ltuqhg1/P-PeTt1Llz

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK :P

I can confirm that this is +3MB/s faster than the previous .raw recording version. But the one nick posted several posts before records to the new .mlv format and that is about +20MB/s faster than this version on my cards.

Btw, how do you people get your sources? I mean, you're both compiling a new version with small hacks on but you each get two different versions. And I can't seem to compile the one I just cloned from hudson.

What's going on here? Too many forks?

chroma

@Britom

New build seems to work great!  Using Komputerbay 64GB 1000x card, the first bar when recording RAW barely flickers.  I prefer the RAW instead of MLV (for now) because of one too many steps.

My card speed improved slightly, but continues to be very good.

For ACR users:  I'm not seeing any of the "flickering issues" that others report when using the Highlights Recovery slider.  I'm going to update my DaVinci Resolve and test my footage using it.  So far I've used 2 methods of conversion to AVI:  1. ACR grading then to AE render to Cineform 444 1080p23.976 and  2. Cineform converter to 444 1080p23.976 and grading using Metadata thru GoPro Cineform Studio Premium.  So far #1 produces better results in a shorter timeframe.

slink

[/img]
Quote from: chroma on August 30, 2013, 07:57:23 PM
@Britom

New build seems to work great!  Using Komputerbay 64GB 1000x card, the first bar when recording RAW barely flickers.  I prefer the RAW instead of MLV (for now) because of one too many steps.

My card speed improved slightly, but continues to be very good.

I am using the same 64GB 1000x Card and bitrom's new build and my write speeds are significantly slower.

Do you think I got a crap card or does this have to do with different versions of the 7d I bought mine new in 2009.
Other possibility: I'm doing it wrong.

Thanks for helping!

britom

Quote from: feureau on August 30, 2013, 07:55:56 PM
I can confirm that this is +3MB/s faster than the previous .raw recording version. But the one nick posted several posts before records to the new .mlv format and that is about +20MB/s faster than this version on my cards.

Btw, how do you people get your sources? I mean, you're both compiling a new version with small hacks on but you each get two different versions. And I can't seem to compile the one I just cloned from hudson.

What's going on here? Too many forks?

I have not tested latest Nick's build yet. I've compiled my builds from https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/ on VM Virtualbox xubuntu using latest gcc-arm 4.7.4. I think is a good idea to have as many builds compiled on as many computers as possible so we can test and know wich configurations and compilers give the best results. And we can have something to play with until some developer give us a hand :)
7D Builds with RAW support: http://bit.ly/14Llzda

feureau

Quote from: slink on August 30, 2013, 08:32:24 PM
[/img]
I am using the same 64GB 1000x Card and bitrom's new build and my write speeds are significantly slower.

Do you think I got a crap card or does this have to do with different versions of the 7d I bought mine new in 2009.

Thanks for helping!

Not sure if this is the due to the 7D manufacturing versions, but I have the 2009 version and britom's .raw version is a LOT slower than nick's mlv version. On britom's raw I'm getting 35mb/s on a sandisk 60mb/s card. On nick's version I'm hitting 55mb/s with a sandisk 60mb/s card.

Quote from: britom on August 30, 2013, 08:43:22 PM
I have not tested latest Nick's build yet. I've compiled my builds from https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/ on VM Virtualbox xubuntu using latest gcc-arm 4.7.4. I think is a good idea to have as many builds compiled on as many computers as possible so we can test and know wich configurations and compilers give the best results. And we can have something to play with until some developer give us a hand :)

Yeah, I think it's a good idea too. Although I think we need to make a list of source and build dates too. It's getting confusing to catch up with all the builds. :D

Also, can you confirm that the gcc-arm is 4.7.4 and not 4.7.3? Is this the one that comes in the VM or did  you update that? (mine's 4.7.3) I tried compiling the 7D.203 platform and it fails to compile. How did you compile? raw_rec compiles though, I'm getting the same raw_rec.mo with yours though.

I wonder where nick got that .mlv version?

ted ramasola

Very good speeds with britom aug 30 build !

5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

chroma

Quote from: slink on August 30, 2013, 08:32:24 PM
[/img]

Thanks for helping!

@Slink

I had the same problem at first--My speeds looked similar.  When the camera is in MOVIE Mode or PHOTO mode, speeds are WAY SLOWER.

Try this:

Turn Global Draw OFF.
Don't load MODULES
Switch to PHOTO mode on 7D.
Press the INFO Button until the screen is blank,

Go into ML and Run the Benchmark.

On your Benchmark Info Screen, Near the top it should now say MODE: playback, Global Draw OFF.

Hope this helps.

britom

I'm getting 1.2mb/s slower speeds with nick's build, but i'm using an slow transcend 400x. My 7d is from 2009 too.

@feureau
Yes we need to organize our builds so i've started this thread and i'll update it from time to time. http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7987

I've updated gcc-arm to version 4.7.4, but i dont know to wich level it affects the building process.

I've compiled my latest build from the hudson repository https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/. This repository has the normal raw_rec module that outputs .raw format.
Some compilation problems have been fixed within the code so the only thing you need to touch are probably the lines 24 and 25 in makefile.user.default to specify the right path to your gcc-arm

GCC_VERSION=-4.7.3
ARM_PATH=~/gcc-arm-none-eabi-4_7-2013q2

Instead if you want you can compile like nick did from the g3gg0 repository that has the new raw_rec that outputs .mlv format https://bitbucket.org/g3gg0/magic-lantern
7D Builds with RAW support: http://bit.ly/14Llzda

feureau

Thanks! I'll look into it!

Thanks for making the new thread to organize this and all, but that means that's one more thread one should be following to follow the growth of the 7D ML. Couldn't we just put the build updates in the first post instead?

jman

Quote from: ted ramasola on August 30, 2013, 09:20:17 PM
Very good speeds with britom aug 30 build !

Can you please tell me where this file is saved to when you do the benchmark so I may save it as a photo. Cheers John

jman

vnguyen972

Just tried "nick" version and I see a pink frame in the MLV file... what caused the pink frame?
Love my EOS7D!

jman

Lexar Pro 800x card....pretty sad
Can anyone suggest a BETTER card please !!!! Cheers John
Tested with the nik v4 build aug 30......mlv works well with the converter

dpmaia

Shot a lot of footage today using britom's latest build and the 5.6" TV Logic attached. No problems at all with the external monitoring, just perfect.  ;)

dne202

Quote from: DragonFlame on August 30, 2013, 07:08:15 PM
Even 720p RAW will take up a lot of room but not too bad, I'm taking a rough guess you would probably get at least 30 minutes onto a 64gb card at 720p, as for speed even on my 60mb/s SanDisk I can record resolutions above 720p, the 128 Komputerbay is rated higher than that I think so should be fine.

Thanks, DragonFlame!  I was wondering, if I get the 128 1000X from Komputerbay, will I never get the data rates to be able to record 1080 at 23.98?  I'm happy to shoot 720p now, but would love to future proof this purchase if possible.

Thanks for getting back to me.

LEVISDAVIS

I wouldn't count on the 128GB 1000X achieving full HD. I've got a Canon 50D and I was barely able to record 1582x894 continuously (purchased 2 and both had same issue). However, the 64GB 1000X will continuously record 1920 x 1023 on the Canon 50D. That happens to be the fastest the camera can write. Rest assure the 64 GB 1000X can record Full HD. Remember though that you will be recording Full HD on a 3x crop mode. That and you're only going to record about 12 - 14 minutes at most. Realistically there aren't that many card options in terms of cost, availability, and speed. That's exactly why the 64GB 1000x is future proof. Just plan on purchasing multiple cards to suffice for the limited recording time.
Levi S. Davis

DragonFlame

I agree with levisdavis, while the 128gb would be fine for 720p you won't get close to 1080p because of the write issues.

I also agree with his suggestion to buy multiple card but I will elaborate more, it's almost always better to buy a lot of smaller cards over one large card, the reasons being that it ends up being cheaper in most cases, if a card fails you have backups compared to not having any card if you only had one, while your transferring data of one card you can be recording with another which is really important if your doing many hours of filming which It sounds like you might be doing, the only time I could see it worth buying such a large card is if you have to do one long nonstop 30 minute shot.

As for cards that can do 1080p I've heard many conflicting reports on the matter, it really is impossible to tell just which cards are best until the FPS override has been implemented.
The best cards I've seen so far reported though are the Lexar 1000x cards managing to hit around 90mb/s but maybe someone who has one can back that up.

ted ramasola

For a guide on how the the komputerbay cards perform using the Aug 30 build.

Cards used;
800X (Not Sold, for test reference only)
1000X
1200X (256 not supported by 7D, formatted as 128gig)
Shown will be the 32, 64, 128 and 256 gig cards. Will include a Lexar 32gig 1000x for reference.

5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

John Kesl

tonybeccar

I have a question. Will the 128gig 1050x card work on the 7D right now? I got a music video shoot next weekend and wanted to use my 7D as a B-cam.. we're shooting with the 5d3 btw.. will post it here when it's finished :D. Thanks!

ted ramasola

Quote from: tonybeccar on August 31, 2013, 03:27:58 AM
I have a question. Will the 128gig 1050x card work on the 7D right now? I got a music video shoot next weekend and wanted to use my 7D as a B-cam.. we're shooting with the 5d3 btw.. will post it here when it's finished :D. Thanks!

NO. It won't work with ML on the 7D and the mkII.

The 1050X, will work with the 5DmkIII.
In our test, ML was running on the SD card.

The camera will recognize the card and capacity and you can record h264 and Raw cr2 STILLs
but not Magic lantern firmware.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

tonybeccar

Aww!! Hehe.. thanks for the answer man!! I got confused when they benchmarked the 1200x but you made it pretty cleared.. will try to get one 1000x.. cheers!

ted ramasola

Quote from: tonybeccar on August 31, 2013, 03:56:28 AM
Aww!! Hehe.. thanks for the answer man!! I got confused when they benchmarked the 1200x but you made it pretty cleared.. will try to get one 1000x.. cheers!

Yes. Your best bet would be a 1000X. And if you have to ask me which, I'd personally recommend the 64gig.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

1%

QuoteThe camera will recognize the card and capacity and you can record h264 and Raw cr2 STILLs
but not Magic lantern firmware.

But the 1200X worked? So tell me how it won't load an autoexec.bin from the card?

QuoteYour best bet would be a 1000X. And if you have to ask me which, I'd personally recommend the 64gig.

This! Save your money, buy a bunch of 1000x 64s. Larger/faster cards are more expensive and you gain nothing (and may lose write speed).