7D Raw Thread

Started by noisyboy, August 05, 2013, 11:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brunonicko

Nothing explains better the situation than this animated GIF!
Thanks Britom for this post with the latest builds.
Done some test shoots with my 7D as well:

vnguyen972

Quote from: brunonicko on August 28, 2013, 09:18:08 PM
Nothing explains better the situation than this animated GIF!
Thanks Britom for this post with the latest builds.
Done some test shoots with my 7D as well:

Nice video, what render resolution setting you use for Vimeo? as is? or 1280x720?
Love my EOS7D!

Jared

problem with the second build Britom...
after recording everything perfect, but when I turned the camera off, remove the memory to download the files, computer does not recognize the memory. the process must be repeated, format the memory and load the magic lantern again...

any solution about this?

Thanx!
Photographer, Videographer, RawVideo Lover.
Canon 7D / Canon 5DMKIII

Abstrak

I currently have a 60D which is pretty limited shooting RAW. Is it worth it to pick up a used 7D for 6-700 bucks for RAW now? Or should I wait til the builds are a little less volatile? I'm really on the verge of bartering some music equipment for a BMCC.

brunonicko

Quote from: vnguyen972 on August 28, 2013, 09:37:07 PM
Nice video, what render resolution setting you use for Vimeo? as is? or 1280x720?

Thanks! I upscaled the clips to 1920x816px.

Pelican

Quote from: britom on August 28, 2013, 08:55:00 PM
brunonicko's build with liveview freeze workaround
http://www.astronautafilmes.com/clientes/magiclantern/ML_BrunoNicko_26_Ago_2013.zip
This version is available in a full ML zip here: http://pel.hu/ML/magiclantern-7D.203.Alpha2.zip
(EOScard use this)

If you have a warning about the small hack just turn it off. I've made some modification to make it work but it never went to the main repo, I think.
It's avilable in my repo (Pelican/raw)
EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5, EOS 100 + lenses (10mm to 300mm), 600EX, 550EX, YN600EX x 3
EOScard, EOS DSLR firmwares, ARMu, NiControl, etc.: http://pel.hu/down

DragonFlame

Quote from: Abstrak on August 28, 2013, 11:32:30 PM
I currently have a 60D which is pretty limited shooting RAW. Is it worth it to pick up a used 7D for 6-700 bucks for RAW now? Or should I wait til the builds are a little less volatile? I'm really on the verge of bartering some music equipment for a BMCC.

Before the live view was fixed and the vertical resolution was limited to 600 I would have told you to wait but with the latest build I would say yes go for it.
I had very little issue getting it to work, as long as you read carefully how to install it you will be fine.

I will point out some pros and cons as best I can to why you should or shouldn't get one.

PRO
Write speeds reported up to 90mb/s
Dual ISO 14 bit Recording, I can't stress how awesome this is.
Continuous Raw at Native Resolution 1728x972 with fast CF cards.
No moire or aliasing in crop mode.
7D is a very well build and we'll thought out camera in its layout and features.
Still in my opinion one of the best still cameras around if still pics matter to you also.

CON
Dual Processor means its hard to hack, ML builds are always behind other cameras.
No final build of ML, 7D is still very much in alpha.
No 1080p.... Yet crosses fingers.
Occasional pink frames in footage, easy to cut out to be honest.
A few bugs that cause lockup s, annoying but not the end of the world.
No FPS override in crop, yet.
Aliasing and moire in non crop mode is very noticeable when filming patterns.
External monitor support in this build is very broken, don't even plug one in till fixed.

Even though I have listed more cons they are minor issues and the pros really do in my opinion make this camera the second best for raw behind the 5D III, I would say if you could afford the 5D III get that as it's better supported but for cost the 7D is simply amazing for video since raw and dual iso was unlocked.

1%

If you don't care about sound or taking pictures, 50D is probably more in the price range of <600 usd.

When 7D gets "stable" the price will probably go up.

Probably goes like 50D -> 7D -> 6D (image quality +FF!)/5DII  ->5d3

DragonFlame

While the 50d does seem like a nice option the slower write speeds, smaller native res and lack of audio puts me off, the 6d as well lacks potential from what I've read due to the limited card speeds the slowest of the cameras you mentioned.
I'm assuming that continuous recording is what he wants, if its just short clips then it really would be a different situation.
Speaking of card speeds I could be wrong but isn't the 7D second to only the 5D III, it's the only other camera I think has the potential to do 1080p continuous If that is going to be important to you, although we still don't know if it possible yet.

1%

Well 50D does at least 1920x1038 continuous, sometimes it does the whole thing or more. 6D has all the benefits of FF/newer sensor and iso range and can do 720P easily or you can enlarge whatever your card can do.

I bet 5DIII works over 1080P continuous, its the best but $4k.

7D has a decently sized res and 60P mode. I'm really surprised its not doing 1080P continuous... If you've seen 86 or more MB/s then it should. I think the problem is you're stuck at 30P without FPS override and the native LV is lower than 1080P. I guess FPS + display filters are the top priority and also the hardest.

Actually 50D/5DII/5DIII are the only cameras that can do 1080P continuous this moment. Only 5DIII has any hope of writing raw + audio because of the separate cards.

Abstrak

Thanks Dragon and 1% for the feedback I'll keep and eye on this thread. I seen a 7D body for 425 on craigslist while most other were going for 7-800. So either the owner is hard pressed for cash or the body / electronics is trashed. I may go check it out and see how bad it really is at 400 thats a steal even in a half way decent condition.  I may just save up for the 5D3 maybe catch a black friday deal or something.

ted ramasola

Now testing the 256gig 1200X on the 7D and 5DmkII, will test with the mkIII tomorrow.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

edwmotion

Quote from: 1% on August 29, 2013, 01:30:32 AM
Well 50D does at least 1920x1038 continuous, sometimes it does the whole thing or more. 6D has all the benefits of FF/newer sensor and iso range and can do 720P easily or you can enlarge whatever your card can do.

I bet 5DIII works over 1080P continuous, its the best but $4k.

7D has a decently sized res and 60P mode. I'm really surprised its not doing 1080P continuous... If you've seen 86 or more MB/s then it should. I think the problem is you're stuck at 30P without FPS override and the native LV is lower than 1080P. I guess FPS + display filters are the top priority and also the hardest.

Actually 50D/5DII/5DIII are the only cameras that can do 1080P continuous this moment. Only 5DIII has any hope of writing raw + audio because of the separate cards.

Hi 1%, I'm a little confuse now... Can 7D achieve 1080p? is that full sensor? I thought 1728x972 was the maximum resolution.

ted ramasola

Quote from: edwmotion on August 29, 2013, 04:06:14 AM
Hi 1%, I'm a little confuse now... Can 7D achieve 1080p? is that full sensor? I thought 1728x972 was the maximum resolution.

yeah, I was wondering about this too. maybe its power will be unlocked soon? :) maybe in 3x crop.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

edwmotion

Quote from: ted ramasola on August 29, 2013, 04:08:02 AM
yeah, I was wondering about this too. maybe its power will be unlocked soon? :) maybe in 3x crop.

I'm talking about full sensor maxres.

alsey7

OK I'm new to this but last night I finally installed alpha2. Downloaded the latest built. Works great a lot to read. Here is my question  I know how to convert raw2dng. This morning I downloaded a built that records in .mlv how do u extract those files I looked everwhere I. The forum. Sorry if this question has been asked.

BTW should I just read this thread for the latest built??? Thx guys

emmikiruba

Arnikii: Do you have anything to comment on my video at page 23. Raw depth and colours are amazing.

Dear Members, I find in the forum many round about questions. After all film making is with 'light. While imaging there are optical limitations, signalling limitations and processing limitations. I find members want all to be perfected with  simple programe lines.

to achieve depth in a frame it is a rule that minimum 3 stop variation of light should be there. 7D raw achieves far more than this so very good depth in colours and scenic light. It is sad that nobody is interested to comment 'photographically'.

while quantizing signals it is necessary that noise should be introduced to bring dynamic levels. Noise is inherent in any imaging. I do not understand why members are die hard to shooot at highest ISO! Definitely it has undesirable noise.

Cinematography is playing with light. But why you struggle to achieve in  low light. Use reflectors or natural reflections to perfect lightning. I do not find a single footage with 'lighting'.

Photography again is using light to our advantage. Available light also has to be used to advantage. The light should help the 'emotions' to come out. What best an available light can do unless it is controlled? Most of the available light exposures will just be a 'snap shot' with 'centred' frames. Come on guys - the test makers - use some light and show your real talent.

A shot with 'full resolution' at very 'low light' at ISO 1600 without noise in a 400x card with continuous frames can only be a dream. ML Developers have given wonderful opportunity to expose raw frames and colour correct them like top notch 'cinema cameras. It is a marvel. Put that into right perspective and show your films to the world.

I do not find any problem in 7D build. I tried upscaling upto 4K. with proper sharpness level you can do anything you want cinematographiclly. 5D II or 5D III or 7D - ultimately the result is the matter  for the screen.  7D is a fine piece of camera. Giving RAW in it is a blessing. These peoples effort is great and the provision is 'simpler' to anybody. Try anything within the limit then the result will be limitless!! good luck guys!!!

1%

QuoteI thought 1728x972 was the maximum resolution.

Is this the max in 5x? Then who says 50D is lower res?

Says the camera is  2520 x 1200 in zoom mode.

ted ramasola

@30p 3x crop mode

2512 x 1200 = 95 frames average

1920 x 1080 = 213 frames average

1472 x 828 = continuous recording
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

kh3naz

At what max resolution and framerate can the 5D MK3 record continuous both in crop and noncrop ?

anyone ?

1%

FPS was the problem on 50D, you can only 30P the non zoomed size. If that is fixed here you should have 1080P.

jman

Ok...so I did all the set up for raw video.  I also put on the cf card brunonicko's build for the liveview. When I tried recording in raw the files saved to the card were as an example M09-0657.raw. After effects would not open the raw file. When I tried photoshop CS6 it gave me a single layer grey image. What should I do here??? PLEASE !!! Cheers!!!

arrinkiiii

Quote from: 1% on August 29, 2013, 06:27:27 AM
FPS was the problem on 50D, you can only 30P the non zoomed size. If that is fixed here you should have 1080P.

Sweet  :D  ...it's like butter in the nose of a dog in summer time

Quote from: emmikiruba on August 29, 2013, 04:41:44 AM
Arnikii: Do you have anything to comment on my video at page 23. Raw depth and colours are amazing.

No doubt, very vivid colors  :D

slybugg

Quote from: jman on August 29, 2013, 09:01:40 AM
Ok...so I did all the set up for raw video.  I also put on the cf card brunonicko's build for the liveview. When I tried recording in raw the files saved to the card were as an example M09-0657.raw. After effects would not open the raw file. When I tried photoshop CS6 it gave me a single layer grey image. What should I do here??? PLEASE !!! Cheers!!!

you need to use a program to transcode the raw file to dng files.  i am on a mac, so I used Rawmagic.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6218.0

not sure the PC program to transcode raw files to dng.