7D Raw Thread

Started by noisyboy, August 05, 2013, 11:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Macro7d

Quote from: ted ramasola on August 27, 2013, 08:51:30 AM
No. Not even for 1728 x 972. The 1000X is just about what you need.

The 800X which they won't be releasing but I am also testing is not even fast enough.

1% said "7D doesn't support UDMA7, only UDMA6"

But I can't find any 1000x cards that are not UDMA7 
I have a UDMA7 card shipped to me based on "The 1000X is just about what you need."
Should I send it back?

mfegus

I am experimenting with 7D raw as well. Do you have the same problems with vertical lines when shooting in low-iso performance?

chroma

Quote from: mfegus on August 27, 2013, 08:00:58 PM
I am experimenting with 7D raw as well. Do you have the same problems with vertical lines when shooting in low-iso performance?

I've seen this in my experiments with High ISO.  Not unusual, the RED ONE does the exact same thing!

thoma

I've had the lines issue from the beginning - its present in 2.5k crop mode as well as the full sensor capture (though with the full sensor footage there's also what looks like a downscaling pattern on top)  Anyone know what's causing these?  I was even getting some extra burned in patches where the lines are stronger - is this just the state of my sensor?

chroma

Question for anyone who might know these details:

For some RAW shots I make at different ISO's, when I make the .DNG's using Raw2Dng displays this message while rendering each frame:

"Interlace pattern not supported.  ISO Pattern: BdBd"

Funny thing is, the .DNGs are fine and the shots come out normal looking.  Odd???  Am I doing something wrong?  Are there ISO's we shouldn't use?

mfegus

Here is the same scene shot under the same light conditions, same iso - just shot with 60D. Almost none stripes there. :)

hunchen

hey ,
thanks to all helping hands making ml raw video work on the 7d.
after some tests, i took my cam with me on a sailing trip. (this was last thursday, so no real liveview and just 1600x600 conineous recording)

full resolution
http://quenker.de/rawsailing.mp4
or vimeo will be up in bout 20 minutes, but less quality

everything was shot handheld with a canon 50mm 1.8, nd fader and the sandisk extreme 60mb/s
grading with davinci resolve lite
cut with premiere pro

now i'm serching for an onset storage solution.
i don't want to buy several 1000x cards, so i thought to buy 2 komputerbay 32gb 1000x cards and one nexto di nd2730.
one card is in the cam the other's transfering the data to the nexto di.
one 32 gb card gives you about 7-8 minutes of recording right?
does anyone have experience with the nexto di?
or do you have other solutions?

greets hun

MACKY64

Quote from: Macro7d on August 27, 2013, 07:54:20 PM
1% said "7D doesn't support UDMA7, only UDMA6"

But I can't find any 1000x cards that are not UDMA7 
I have a UDMA7 card shipped to me based on "The 1000X is just about what you need."
Should I send it back?

7D cannot use up performance of UDMA7, but can use it.
I use the Compact Flash of UDMA7.(Transcend 64GB 1000x)
I do not have any problem at all. :)

vnguyen972

Quote from: hunchen on August 27, 2013, 08:32:15 PM
now i'm serching for an onset storage solution.
i don't want to buy several 1000x cards, so i thought to buy 2 komputerbay 32gb 1000x cards and one nexto di nd2730.
one card is in the cam the other's transfering the data to the nexto di.
one 32 gb card gives you about 7-8 minutes of recording right?
does anyone have experience with the nexto di?
or do you have other solutions?

greets hun

If you already have a laptop and maybe a card reader, this portable hard drive might be a cheaper solution?
http://www.amazon.com/Shadow-External-Portable-Silver-Version/dp/B005KT2FYK/ref=pd_cp_pc_2

Love my EOS7D!

hbr

For vertical stripes problem, try disabling highlight tone priority, low iso noise reduction and long exposure noise reduction in camera (Canon Menu)

@blackjack102 something serious is wrong with your video. When you record in RAW image should be quite noticeably sharper and dynamic range is way to wider.
But remember you need to be working in 16-bit workspace to harnes the power of RAW (because this ML RAW is 14-bit, as Canon RAW pictures)

dmk

Quote from: kh3naz on August 27, 2013, 05:50:27 PM
no tests charts here but this will give you an idea

Thanks kh3naz, that does give me an idea!

Macro7d

Quote from: MACKY64 on August 27, 2013, 08:43:52 PM
7D cannot use up performance of UDMA7, but can use it.
I use the Compact Flash of UDMA7.(Transcend 64GB 1000x)
I do not have any problem at all. :)

Thanks MACKY64

Ok that makes sense, how much slower is it on the 7d?

MACKY64

Quote from: Macro7d on August 27, 2013, 10:28:10 PM
Thanks MACKY64

Ok that makes sense, how much slower is it on the 7d?

sorry, i don't know it exactly.
However, it is high-speed enough.
In the case of me, the highest write speed is more than 90MB by the benchmark.

jemabaris

Quote from: MACKY64 on August 27, 2013, 10:59:53 PM
sorry, i don't know it exactly.
However, it is high-speed enough.
In the case of me, the highest write speed is more than 90MB by the benchmark.

I was lucky enough to purchase a 5D mk III today and benched the same komputerbay 1000x card. The 7D gave me an average of about 83ish with a peek of about 90. The 5D gives me up to 116.
All values by heart. Not 100% sure about them :P

1%

Yep, 1000x UDMA 7 card will run at UDMA6... thats why I think 10XX cards will work too unless they don't support 6 and drop you to some compatibility mode... its like a hard drive. ATA133 drives still work with ATA66 interfaces at reduced performance... the only thing KB could do is drop the lower "ATA" standard and stick you in something like PIO mode.

JCBEos

My Youtube Channel -> comments and likes welcome ;)

crwn_schlr

figured i'd throw this on here to see what any devs working on the module think:

Sandisk 60mb/s card. I can get about 84 images consistently in 2.5k at 29.97. These two were 82, and 83, at 23.976.

Small hacks off (gave me a hack error?), Sjpeg, global draw off.

I guess that means it's somehow possible to trick it into 23.976 in crop mode, I'm not sure how I did it, but maybe this can some how help someone figure out fps override.

emmikiruba

This cinematographed site is a Heritage of UNESCO. It is located near Chennai, India. The place is known as Mamallapuram. It was visualised and created by Pallava Dynasty who ruled Tamil Nadu between 2nd and 9th centure CE. These were sculpted from single stones which were abounding that sea shore area. It was visualised by a Pallava King Mahendra Pallavan. The sculptors drilled, holed and chiseled away unwanted pieces of stone to give such a 'built' appearance. It is a marvel of architechtural workmanship. The intricacies of scarving and sculpting is mind blowing.

Now coming to technical side - Canon 7D camera with RAW ML moduless was used with Tamaron 17-50 2.8 lens. As the tripod was not allowed everything was shot hand held. In this build 'live view' was not enabled. so only blind shooting. NO pan or zoom was possible. Just a 10 or 15 mtes quick shoot.

The post processing of RAW was done in Photo shop CS5.1 converted into TIFF images. Then  Premere output. Originally shot in 1472x626 and upscaled to 2K in PS. Out put is 1080P MP4. This is Indian equatorial top light. The process was for Vivid Colours against stony monotone  with rich blues, greens and stony reds.
Pl pardon the shaky old-man's hand.

blackjack102

Quote from: hbr on August 27, 2013, 08:49:00 PM
For vertical stripes problem, try disabling highlight tone priority, low iso noise reduction and long exposure noise reduction in camera (Canon Menu)

@blackjack102 something serious is wrong with your video. When you record in RAW image should be quite noticeably sharper and dynamic range is way to wider.
But remember you need to be working in 16-bit workspace to harnes the power of RAW (because this ML RAW is 14-bit, as Canon RAW pictures)

You are right. I was doing very wrong at post processing like everything setting was off and used very high ISO at that time. I made another sample with 16-bit workspace and got same result like another posts with good samples above. Thank you for the point that was helpful!

dmk

Looks like it's going to be another week or two till I get my card reader+card, but in the meantime I'm wondering, how does one know which files to install?

What I mean is- for example, the first post in this thread (by noisyboy) does not contain the info about BrunoNicko's files... without reading this thread start to finish, how would one know where the latest and greatest updates are?

Aside from wanting to play with the shiniest new version, I would think the developers would want feedback with clear indications of which source is being run and to differentiate from new bugs and old bugs...?

Kakuda

Thank you so much for this :)

7D Raw Test:

dmk

Quote from: Pelican on August 26, 2013, 06:05:12 PM
I refreshed the ML zip on my site (http://pel.hu/ML/magiclantern-7D.203.Alpha2.zip) with BrunoNicko's version so EOScards downloads that now with working LV during raw_rec.

If anyone can compile ML 7D regularly and make a complete zip file  and upload it somewhere with the same name then I can set up EOScard to use that link.

Cheers from Brazil.

Hey Pelican, forgive me for being a bit slow, but can you please detail what you need exactly and how it differs from the Nightly Builds?

Walter Schulz

-- obsolete because of pelican's newest info --

dmk

+1 for the Hitchiker's Guide reference  ;D

Firmware linked on that page is out of date, right?

Is it worth getting community feedback on the solution in discussion?

dmk

d'oh, you beat me to it. Also, I feel funny asking this but I promise I can't find the button anywhere- is there a way to get notifications about thread updates? I find myself hitting refresh too often for my dayjob's liking ;)