7D Raw Thread

Started by noisyboy, August 05, 2013, 11:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arrinkiiii

The first game are finished !!!  1-0 ML won !!!  :o

The second game is still on... don't be late, the clock is tik-tak tik-tak  :D

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvJqzXLhtFjddERyZkRDQTYyOE93RXhNaHFEaUpYZEE#gid=0

dmk

Sorry- new here, what's this and how do I play?  ;D

arrinkiiii

obiyan19

just discovered a brand sell 1050x cards.

ebay item 400549431921

anyone know ?
600D + 7D + 5D2  // 24-105 L is ~ 100-400 L is ~ 18-200 is ~ 18-55 isII ~ sigma 50 f1.4 EX

Leonard

Quote from: Walter Schulz on August 27, 2013, 01:07:46 PM
You switched global draw off and set output to s-jpeg?

Ciao, Walter

Still drops a frame after some while :(

Walter Schulz

Sorry, can't help here. ted?

Ciao, Walter

pest01

Hi arrinkiiii,

Where and how do we deposit $ for 1% equipment?

Thanks!!

arrinkiiii

Quote from: pest01 on August 27, 2013, 03:17:26 PM
Hi arrinkiiii,

Where and how do we deposit $ for 1% equipment?

Thanks!!

Hi pest01,

Send me PM with value  :D

Thank you.

Leonard

Issues I've run into so far:

- No continuous recording in neither 24fps 1728 x 972, nor 25fps 1728 x 972. Switching off global draw and setting output to s-jpg didn't help either.

- 1600 x 900 seems to work continuously with 24fps and 25fps.

- Screen sometimes freezes when jumping into 10x magnification.

- I'm having issues with white lines when attaching an external monitor. These white lines / boxes obscure the image and are pretty annoying. I have no idea how to get rid of them.

Other than that I'm pretty amazed so far. Keep up the good work! :)

Could britom or someone perhaps make the whole folder structure with all the necessary files available for download? Perhaps these issues have something to do with using old files.

EDIT: What did you format your CF cards to? Mine used to be FAT32 and then I tried formatig it to exFAT (as with the Mark III). However in exFAT the card is not recognized by the camera.

ted ramasola

Quote from: Leonard on August 27, 2013, 01:47:14 PM
Still drops a frame after some while :(

did you turn on Small Hacks in raw video menu?
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

1%

I'd still need some concrete proof to see 1050x cards don't read/write on 7D/5DII, etc. However looking up other brands isn't going to help here, I think you're just wasting money. 7D doesn't support UDMA7, only UDMA6. So does 50D and 5DII. 5DIII is the only one that currently supports it. Like buying a 90MB/s card for the SD cameras... you won't beat the controller.

ted ramasola

Quote from: Leonard on August 27, 2013, 03:45:56 PM
Issues I've run into so far:

- No continuous recording in neither 24fps 1728 x 972, nor 25fps 1728 x 972. Switching off global draw and setting output to s-jpg didn't help either.

- 1600 x 900 seems to work continuously with 24fps and 25fps.

- Screen sometimes freezes when jumping into 10x magnification.

- I'm having issues with white lines when attaching an external monitor. These white lines / boxes obscure the image and are pretty annoying. I have no idea how to get rid of them.

Other than that I'm pretty amazed so far. Keep up the good work! :)

Could britom or someone perhaps make the whole folder structure with all the necessary files available for download? Perhaps these issues have something to do with using old files.

EDIT: What did you format your CF cards to? Mine used to be FAT32 and then I tried formatig it to exFAT (as with the Mark III). However in exFAT the card is not recognized by the camera.

-Did you turn on small hacks?

-with external monitor, use ML grayscale in raw preview to get rid of off centered white rectangle. -in ext monitor its still in color.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

ted ramasola

Quote from: 1% on August 27, 2013, 04:12:25 PM
I'd still need some concrete proof to see 1050x cards don't read/write on 7D/5DII, etc. However looking up other brands isn't going to help here, I think you're just wasting money. 7D doesn't support UDMA7, only UDMA6. So does 50D and 5DII. 5DIII is the only one that currently supports it. Like buying a 90MB/s card for the SD cameras... you won't beat the controller.

I can't do more tests on it as I've my 1050X back already. BUT, a 1200X is on its way and we'll be testing that extensively. -you'd know about that within the week.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

hbr

Hmm... I am getting a lot of corrupted frames when recording RAW video, crop mode....

ted ramasola

Quote from: hbr on August 27, 2013, 04:19:00 PM
Hmm... I am getting a lot of corrupted frames when recording RAW video, crop mode....

yeah, its still there. even in 1X.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

_7D_

Another question:

Please let me know if the question was already here. Is it possible to record 1280x720 without cropping the picture? So, I would like to record the same area as the standard video-mode would do.

Greets
_7D_

ted ramasola

Quote from: _7D_ on August 27, 2013, 04:53:42 PM
Another question:

Please let me know if the question was already here. Is it possible to record 1280x720 without cropping the picture? So, I would like to record the same area as the standard video-mode would do.

Greets
_7D_

not possible with raw video.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

LEVISDAVIS

_7D_

Shooting 1280x720 results in cropping into sensor. It will have a crop factor of somewhere near 2x. Basically a white box that serves as your framing lines will shrink inside of LV that shows you how much you're cropping into the image at 1280 x 720. It's certainly not the same as pressing the 5x zoom and recording a 1280x720 image, that would be a crop factor somewhere between 3x and 5x.

The reason we don't record 1280x720 in full-frame is because they skip more than two lines in the sensor readout. There would be so much moire and aliasing the image wouldn't really be appealing. However, from the perspective of cropping your image in camera and simply using the 2x crop sensor space, you'll be able to record a lot more footage than you would at full resolution.
Levi S. Davis

dmk

How does the dynamic range in raw mode compare to h.264?

I know that can be a bit subjective, but with like a grey-scale test-chart, what's the ballpark difference?

mucher

I found that my 7D has unusual low write speed.  Is it possible to multi channelling the EDMAC? Like assign every individual RAW a different EDMAC? But do remember to clean the buffer memory address when moving file away from the buffer.

kh3naz

Quote from: dmk on August 27, 2013, 05:23:22 PM
How does the dynamic range in raw mode compare to h.264?

no tests charts here but this will give you an idea

H264 Cinestyle (flat)

H264 Cinestyle (S-Curve)

RAW

Leonard

Quote from: ted ramasola on August 27, 2013, 04:10:24 PM
did you turn on Small Hacks in raw video menu?

Thanks ted, that did the trick. I also found that instead of switching global draw off, it is possible to simply turn off overlays while recording.

This way you can still use histograms etc. while setting up a shot.

However, I'm now getting "Hack error at 0" when starting and stopping the recording. But it doesn't seem to impact anything.

ted ramasola

Quote from: Leonard on August 27, 2013, 05:53:48 PM
Thanks ted, that did the trick. I also found that instead of switching global draw off, it is possible to simply turn off overlays while recording.

This way you can still use histograms etc. while setting up a shot.

However, I'm now getting "Hack error at 0" when starting and stopping the recording. But it doesn't seem to impact anything.

Also, since your using an ext monitor,

Do NOT playback or review raw footage when hdmi ext monitor attached as it will freeze the camera. I havent tested on 7D but thats the behavior with 5DmkII.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

_7D_

I just checked the fact, that the 7D will capture more frames, if the picture quality is set to sJPEG instead of RAW. For me, it's true - about 75% more frames. But what's the reason behind it?

blackjack102

Quote from: _7D_ on August 27, 2013, 04:53:42 PM
Another question:

Greets
_7D_

Same here, I like to shoot at standard video mode in raw as well. I set up my camera: no crop, 1280x514 and 16:9 ratio. I made a sample video on my youtube channel, unlisted, and I stretched the frames to 1280x720. Here the video is:

It looks like standard video mode to me and it is good enough for me. I recorded the video at 8:30pm when the sun is down. I adjusted the raw video to look like a daylight.

I have questions. I made the video above here, and I was followed an instruction and installed on my 7D four days ago. The version did not have live view while record raw video. I managed one of scene has 1,500 frames without stop itself. Now, I install newer version from britom's built (working live view) and notice that my set (no crop, 1280x514 and 16:9 ratio) could not do more than 900 or 1100 frames depends on another options. I tried different setting like small hack, off global draw or etc. Now, I can't get continuous with this setting, but I can't recall if old version that I got continuous message or not. That was me or new version lose some write speed. My card is 16gb extreme 90mbps udma 7 sandisk, and I know 7D can't use udma 7.

How do I delete a video from camera? or have to manual?