7D Raw Thread

Started by noisyboy, August 05, 2013, 11:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ted ramasola

Quote from: dmk on August 27, 2013, 07:40:01 AM
I thought you could load ML from a different card, and then pop one of these in for actual recording? If not, I need to cancel my order a.s.a.p....

Unfortunately, NOT on the 5D mkII or 7D. only on the 5dmkIII. Change it to either 1000x 128 or 64.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

vnguyen972

@ted rasmasola: thank you!
Love my EOS7D!

ted ramasola

Quote from: vnguyen972 on August 27, 2013, 07:45:10 AM
@ted rasmasola: thank you!

Your welcome. See you on the 22nd.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

dmk

Quote from: ted ramasola on August 27, 2013, 07:41:39 AM
Unfortunately, NOT on the 5D mkII or 7D. only on the 5dmkIII. Change it to either 1000x 128 or 64.

Wow, thanks Ted! Good thing I was able to cancel the order!! :D Going for the 128 1000x and FCR-HS3 Reader

vnguyen972

Love my EOS7D!

ted ramasola

the meet up you signed up to in dallas?  :)

I could be wrong since nguyen is the most popular name in vietnam.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

flofifull

Quote from: JCBEos on August 27, 2013, 03:09:51 AM
First tests results with the 1920*818 Crop mode, using the Brunonickos build.

Hard to frame the picture in the "crop mode", as the picture displayed is not actually as the same size as the one captured.
It's kinda tricky with such tiny subjects ^^

is there a way to add anything to help me framing in this mode?  ???

I'll try the new build tomorrow if the weather is less windy... ;)

Here is your solution for framing  in crop mode (but only on 2.5K) : http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7503.msg65223#msg65223

Macro7d

Hi everyone, it's a good time to have a 7d  :) with the great progress going on, thank you so much for making raw video a reality. My question is will a KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional COMPACT FLASH CARD CF 600X 90MB/s Extreme Speed UDMA 6 RAW be fast enough to record 1080 p raw continuous if we can get the 7d up to that speed? How many mb/s is required?

ted ramasola

Quote from: Macro7d on August 27, 2013, 08:47:50 AM
Hi everyone, it's a good time to have a 7d  :) with the great progress going on, thank you so much for making raw video a reality. My question is will a KOMPUTERBAY 32GB Professional COMPACT FLASH CARD CF 600X 90MB/s Extreme Speed UDMA 6 RAW be fast enough to record 1080 p raw continuous if we can get the 7d up to that speed? How many mb/s is required?

No. Not even for 1728 x 972. The 1000X is just about what you need.

The 800X which they won't be releasing but I am also testing is not even fast enough.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

Macro7d

Quote from: ted ramasola on August 27, 2013, 08:51:30 AM
No. Not even for 1728 x 972. The 1000X is just about what you need.

The 800X which they won't be releasing but I am also testing is not even fast enough.

Thanks Ted

dmk

Once I get the card and up and running I'll probably do my own tests, but in the mean time- maybe someone can resolve a mystery for me...

How does the crop relate to perspective distortion and depth compression? Actually I'm a bit confused how crop-factor relates to that as a whole, but maybe with the double-crop this is a good place to get overall clarity...

In other words, will a 20mm lens on 7D with crop mode (to keep it simple, let's assume it's 3x) feel like:

1) a 20mm would on full frame, just not the entire field of view (i.e. taking a crop of a picture *after* it's taken)

2) a 60mm would on full frame (3x crop applied *before* the picture is "taken")

3) a 92mm would on full frame (3x crop + 1.6 crop factor, applied *before* the picture is "taken")

Again, I'm talking here about perspective distortion and depth compression, not field of view.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: dmk on August 27, 2013, 09:31:59 AM
1) a 20mm would on full frame, just not the entire field of view (i.e. taking a crop of a picture *after* it's taken)

And please let it stop here. Gone through this one at LuLa forum before and it wasn't funny at all.
Do your own test cropping stills and you will come to a conclusion.

Ciao
Walter

Macro7d

I read that a minute of raw video is about 4gb which is about 67mb/s is that right?
A 64gb card would record about 16 min. of raw 1080p video.

ted ramasola

Quote from: Macro7d on August 27, 2013, 09:40:47 AM
I read that a minute of raw video is about 4gb which is about 67mb/s is that right?
A 64gb card would record about 16 min. of raw 1080p video.

approx 15.08 min. or around 21,763 frames. Give or take. This is based on 1728 x 972 resolution 16:9
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

juanmelchor

Quote from: stevelucky on August 27, 2013, 02:19:27 AM
Go here and download the Mac version in the first post: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7802.0

This is a terminal utility that will rip the MLV into individual .DNG frames. All you have to do is open up the terminal and drag the utility into the terminal. The terminal should then show the path of the utility. For example, I put the utility into my Applications folder so when I dragged it into the terminal it read: /Applcations/mlv2dng

The add a space (you may already have a space at the end, in which case, don't worry about adding another) and then drag the .mlv file into the terminal so you now have the path to  the .mlv file showing. In the end, it should look something like this:

$ /Applications/mlv2dng /Users/USERNAME/Download/FILENAME.MLV

Then hit Enter. It will rip all the individual, sequenced frames to your user folder. I'm not sure why it doesn't just rip them into the same directory that the .mlv file is in, but for me it put all the frames into the User folder. I was then able to bring them into Photoshop to do my CameraRAW corrections and into AfterEffects, or wherever.

Stevelucky thanks! It works for me! :-)

It's a little weird workflow but it works. I preferred the files .Raw because when you use the Raw2Dng also appears mov file with the recorded video, it is very handy for quick viewing. It could give the option to save files. MLV or. RAW on the camera?

dmk

Quote from: Walter Schulz on August 27, 2013, 09:37:37 AM
And please let it stop here. Gone through this one at LuLa forum before and it wasn't funny at all.
Do your own test cropping stills and you will come to a conclusion.

Ciao
Walter

hehehe... can you point me to that thread or give over the final conclusion/reason?  ;D

Walter Schulz

Conclusion? You know the definition of "discussion" for forum discussions? It is "Deliver written statement. Go ad hominem if not accepted by opponent." And it almost never is.

Macro7d

Quote from: ted ramasola on August 27, 2013, 09:52:43 AM
approx 15.08 min. or around 21,763 frames. Give or take. This is based on 1728 x 972 resolution 16:9

Wow. I just ordered a 64 gb cf card 1000x.  That should get me started.

dmk

Ah, think I found it- http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=61222.0

Understood- perspective distortion is a factor of distance to subject only, and so in that sense "lens equivalents" can only be discussed in the context of "subject in frame". i.e. if you want to keep the same exact field of view on a crop sensor while using the same lens as you did on a full-frame, you need to move farther back, and therefore the perspective distortion will be exactly like it would be if you didn't switch cameras at all, but rather moved farther back with the full-frame and switched the lens to telephoto (which will give the same field of view as the original wide lens on the full frame, though different distortion)

I think I get it now, do I? :)

Question- does this apply to depth compression as well?

dmk

And if that's right, now I get your answer- since a cropped image is a cropped image no matter how you slice it, this applies with the raw crop as well. If you want the same field of view as uncropped, then you'll need to move further back which means less distortion as though shot on telephoto. If you aren't caring about field of view, then perspective distortion is the same as it would be from that camera-to-subject distance with any lens and any camera.

Walter Schulz

You may want to verify/falsify this in the field. A short test with stills will do.

Ciao, Walter

PS: Also mentioned in the thread is a perspective distortion only occuring in very short focal lenght lenses. Three-dimensional objects will be stretched near borders of the frame. This is caused by mapping three-dimensional objects to two dimensions by rectilinear projection in non-fisheye lenses. See http://www.dxo.com/intl/photography/dxo-optics-pro/features/optical-corrections under volume anamorphosis.
Apart from this Feininger has covered the perspective thingy in some of his books. Old stuff, very old stuff. Older than photography.
PPS: This has nothing to do with RAW by ML. Please put further questions into the proper forum.

dmk

Thanks! I can't quite test it yet since I only have 1 camera and 1 (prime) lens and no ML, but I look forward to testing it in the future

Resources look great :) Part of the trick I guess is also separating lens distortion from perspective distortion... but anyway, don't want to take this thread too off track. Thanks for the small tangent and pointing me in the right direction... suffice it to say the raw crop is like the same theory as the "crop factor" we're used to, but what that means practically is something else entirely and could use some tests to show how the numbers/images work out exactly.

_7D_

Hi Guys!

Please help me, I'm a little bit confused.

A week ago, I tried RAW video. Now I want to upgrade it to the latest version. Which files do I have to copy on my CF?
The files from #436 or #444?

Greets
_7D_

Leonard

Is anyone recording 24p or 25p in 1728 x 972 continuously?

I have a Komputerbay 64GB 1000x CF card that reaches a contiuous write speed of over 80 MB/s in the benchmark. Yet I cannot record continuous 25p in 1728 x 972, which averages at 70 MB/s.
The same card has previously been used to continuously record 25fps 1080p with the 5D Mark III Raw hack. So it can't be the card.

Are there any modules that I might have to switch off? I tried siwtching off the dual_iso.mo and ettr.mo for instance, but no change.

I used these files for installation:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7752.msg67944#msg67944

And then swapped these files provided by britom:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2358mdjq2msnivd/9jZlmta0Fb

Perhaps someone who is running 1728 x 972 continuously could provide the necessary files. Or perhaps I oversaw something fundamentally.

1600 x 900 is running continuously at 25fps.

Amazing work by the Magic Lantern team and community by the way! Thanks for reviving my long dead 7D.

Walter Schulz

You switched global draw off and set output to s-jpeg?

Ciao, Walter