7D Raw Thread

Started by noisyboy, August 05, 2013, 11:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

flofifull

Quote from: JCBEos on August 26, 2013, 06:12:05 PM
I got something to report on the brunonicko build, I get corrupted frames from time to time during a single movie (not only at the beginning)

Strange thing but I have some corrupt frames too with Global Draw activated but no one when Global Draw off.

szigiszmund

Quote from: kh3naz on August 26, 2013, 09:36:20 PM
In crop mode the image is just perfect , but i can only record ~400 frames in 1728 x 972 right now , i don't understand why it isn't continuous as in non crop , continuous 1080p in crop would be amazing , let's hope for the best


without FPS override the default fps for 5X zoom mode is 29.97 = less recording time
in normal live view fps is 24 = continuos recording time on 1000x cards
Fps override it's not yet implemented

kh3naz

Quote from: szigiszmund on August 26, 2013, 10:04:06 PM

without FPS override the default fps for 5X zoom mode is 29.97 = less recording time
in normal live view fps is 24 = continuos recording time on 1000x cards
Fps override it's not yet implemented

You are right i forgot about the different framerates , this makes sense

ted ramasola

Quote from: stevelucky on August 26, 2013, 04:44:22 PM
Someone mentioned something earlier but I wanted to double-check, has there been some progress made with 128gb cards? Will they work with ML on the 7D now?

yes. Testing the KomputerBay CF cards I have,  128 gig capacity was not the issue. It was the chip firmware versions.

You should be able to both run firmware and ML on a 128 1000x with no problems.

5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

Aquablue71

at least it seems that i got the firmware up an running.
I also found the raw menu entry. When i now try to record in raw the cam just gives a short peep noise and some error text (please dont ask me what i am not so fast in reading ;)). When in now look into my card i have a bunch of .RAW files.
Does anyone have any tips, why it always stops after a few seconds?
And maybe some stupid question. how can i play the raw files?

By the way i am using the 1000x card.
My raw setting is 1728*972

i am realy happy about every hint :)


ted ramasola

Quote from: dmk on August 26, 2013, 04:49:26 PM
my understanding is that using 128GB cards for shooting isn't a problem, you just need to load ML from another card first

All these developments are making me impatient... I think I'll just order the 1050x card and card reader and report back how they work. Seems there's no real definitive reason why they wouldn't

:)

For Komputer Bay CF cards the 1000X 128gig, 64gig, 32gig, they all work with 5DmkII and 7D.

The 1050x 128 gig WIL NOT. This is due to newer firmware on the card controller.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

arrinkiiii


We already know the price for the shipment, need to wait for know the price of the rest of the material but for not waiting more we will open the game already for we can ship (is what take more time). 

For those who want to participate in the game just need to send me a PM with the value that want to participate. After you will receive a PM with the rest of the instructions.

Good Gaming !!!  :D

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvJqzXLhtFjddERyZkRDQTYyOE93RXhNaHFEaUpYZEE#gid=0





juanmelchor

Hi! With this new update, 7D record files with format .MLV no .RAW...  ??? For me, Mac user, can't work with it... What can i do?

Thanks!  ;D

stevelucky

Quote from: juanmelchor on August 26, 2013, 11:55:24 PM
Hi! With this new update, 7D record files with format .MLV no .RAW...  ??? For me, Mac user, can't work with it... What can i do?

Thanks!  ;D

Go here and download the Mac version in the first post: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7802.0

This is a terminal utility that will rip the MLV into individual .DNG frames. All you have to do is open up the terminal and drag the utility into the terminal. The terminal should then show the path of the utility. For example, I put the utility into my Applications folder so when I dragged it into the terminal it read: /Applcations/mlv2dng

The add a space (you may already have a space at the end, in which case, don't worry about adding another) and then drag the .mlv file into the terminal so you now have the path to  the .mlv file showing. In the end, it should look something like this:

$ /Applications/mlv2dng /Users/USERNAME/Download/FILENAME.MLV

Then hit Enter. It will rip all the individual, sequenced frames to your user folder. I'm not sure why it doesn't just rip them into the same directory that the .mlv file is in, but for me it put all the frames into the User folder. I was then able to bring them into Photoshop to do my CameraRAW corrections and into AfterEffects, or wherever.

JCBEos

First tests results with the 1920*818 Crop mode, using the Brunonickos build.



Hard to frame the picture in the "crop mode", as the picture displayed is not actually as the same size as the one captured.
It's kinda tricky with such tiny subjects ^^

is there a way to add anything to help me framing in this mode?  ???

I'll try the new build tomorrow if the weather is less windy... ;)
My Youtube Channel -> comments and likes welcome ;)

slybugg

Quote from: PressureFM on August 26, 2013, 03:43:47 PM
You need to join the files, they should be called Mxx-xxxx.RAW and any subsequent spanned file should share the same name but end in .RXX.

Files are automatically spanned when you reach the 4 GB limit of the FAT32 file system.

Any hints on joining the files?  I am using Rawmagic to turn the Raw files into dng files, on a Mac.  I can switch to PC if I must.

arrinkiiii

@ Pelican

Beautiful photo, look like a baby bird but the clows  :D ...hope you are enjoying Brazil, with some cacha├ža, gatas and samba.

vnguyen972

Quote from: JCBEos on August 27, 2013, 03:09:51 AM
Hard to frame the picture in the "crop mode", as the picture displayed is not actually as the same size as the one captured.
It's kinda tricky with such tiny subjects ^^

is there a way to add anything to help me framing in this mode?  ???


I'm too confused on "crop-mode"... how does one frame it? what you see in the LV is what you'll get?
Love my EOS7D!

1%

QuoteIt was the chip firmware versions.

So the 1050X cards aren't backwards compatible to work in the camera? Highest DMA or bust?

ted ramasola

Quote from: 1% on August 27, 2013, 04:28:30 AM
So the 1050X cards aren't backwards compatible to work in the camera? Highest DMA or bust?

Based on their explanation the the newer firmware now used on their 1050x cards was designed to better protect the chips from being corrupted with non usb3 card readers, at the expense of it not being readable to the older 5d2 and 7d camera for firmware, both ML and canon's. In our tests the 5dmkIII was able to use it but the ML was in the SD card. We were not able to try placing ML on the CF itself due to lack of time.

They reverted their 1000x cards to older firmware to make them compatible to canon cameras and ML at the expense of very slight speed difference with the 64 and 32 gigs and that you have to make sure you get the compatible usb 3.0 udma7 readers.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

JCBEos

Quote from: vnguyen972 on August 27, 2013, 04:23:36 AM
what you see in the LV is what you'll get?

nope the picture is more cropped on the liveview than in the video that is recorded
My Youtube Channel -> comments and likes welcome ;)

1%

I can see it not reading the boot flag fir.. but if the camera can use the space ML should be able to run unless you can't touch the boot sector of the card, which would be bad if say you wanted to run windows on it in an embedded PC; so they probably didn't do that.

Otherwise it can be unreadable to lower UDMA versions and completely incompatible with the cameras or drop back into some lower mode and be painfully slow.

So maybe the cards were bad for the original install but OK otherwise?

vnguyen972

Quote from: stevelucky on August 27, 2013, 02:19:27 AM
Go here and download the Mac version in the first post: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7802.0

This is a terminal utility that will rip the MLV into individual .DNG frames. All you have to do is open up the terminal and drag the utility into the terminal. The terminal should then show the path of the utility. For example, I put the utility into my Applications folder so when I dragged it into the terminal it read: /Applcations/mlv2dng

The add a space (you may already have a space at the end, in which case, don't worry about adding another) and then drag the .mlv file into the terminal so you now have the path to  the .mlv file showing. In the end, it should look something like this:

$ /Applications/mlv2dng /Users/USERNAME/Download/FILENAME.MLV

Then hit Enter. It will rip all the individual, sequenced frames to your user folder. I'm not sure why it doesn't just rip them into the same directory that the .mlv file is in, but for me it put all the frames into the User folder. I was then able to bring them into Photoshop to do my CameraRAW corrections and into AfterEffects, or wherever.

Can you play this .mlv file in the camera? ..ie.. checking the footage after being shot? I guess I could try it and find out but want to know first :)
Love my EOS7D!

ted ramasola

Quote from: 1% on August 27, 2013, 04:54:46 AM
I can see it not reading the boot flag fir.. but if the camera can use the space ML should be able to run unless you can't touch the boot sector of the card, which would be bad if say you wanted to run windows on it in an embedded PC; so they probably didn't do that.

Otherwise it can be unreadable to lower UDMA versions and completely incompatible with the cameras or drop back into some lower mode and be painfully slow.

So maybe the cards were bad for the original install but OK otherwise?

We didn't go to that level in our tests. KB techsupport explained to me there is still a much lower level of formatting the cards that they do, it will be raw, I didn't understand it thoroughly.

The cameras are kinda "smart" in a way that even if we changed partitions and allocated different sizes on the cards, the camera's would still format it back to its original capacity.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

1%

But does it read in the 7D/5DII/50D just to take photos,etc? And then ultimately is it any faster than a 1000x card (I guess no).

If the camera can use it, ML should boot, unless you're only using a signed binary (ie early EOSM/5DIII,etc)

arrinkiiii

-THE GAME NOW IS FULL OPEN-

Don't be late for the ML Championship League!!! Click or you will miss !!!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AvJqzXLhtFjddERyZkRDQTYyOE93RXhNaHFEaUpYZEE#gid=0


Rai2121

I got the chance to test out the updated raw module today. I wanted to try to get some skin tones in a difficult situation and in an easier one. I used a 64GB 1000x Komputerbay card. The first shot is a mid with the subject partially in the sun and the shade. I forgot that I didn't have my VAF on for the first shot, but I put it in for the second one, which is a closeup with the subject evenly exposed. I've been really impressed with the image that has been coming out of the 7D with the raw module.

All the DNGs were processed in Lightroom. I added some sharpness to try and pull out the detail that was there without going overboard. I recovered the highlights as much as I could. I had to adjust the tint back to 0, and I moved the white balance to about 5000 K. Hopefully this is helpful for someone. Major props again to the whole ML team and all the forum members that have contributed to getting the 7D this far. Lets keep pushing!



It should be downloadable if anyone is interested.

vnguyen972

Quote from: brunonicko on August 26, 2013, 07:00:58 AM
- Using crop mode, I can record (not in silent picture, raw_rec!) around 200 - 300 frames in 2.5k, without glitches and frame corruption beyond the 600px limit, no problem at all![/b]

Excuse me if I sound like a noob..I'm still trying to learn here... I searched and couldn't find any info on how you can record in crop mode in 2.5K?
Love my EOS7D!

dmk

Quote from: ted ramasola on August 26, 2013, 10:58:20 PM
For Komputer Bay CF cards the 1000X 128gig, 64gig, 32gig, they all work with 5DmkII and 7D.

The 1050x 128 gig WIL NOT. This is due to newer firmware on the card controller.

I thought you could load ML from a different card, and then pop one of these in for actual recording? If not, I need to cancel my order a.s.a.p....

ted ramasola

Quote from: vnguyen972 on August 27, 2013, 06:51:08 AM
Excuse me if I sound like a noob..I'm still trying to learn here... I searched and couldn't find any info on how you can record in crop mode in 2.5K?

To record in crop mode, you engage live view,

Press the magnify to 5X, (its best to disable 10x in ML menu as for now it freezes cam)

Go to raw video menu and select resolution and aspect ratio.

For now 2512 x 1200 (the highest possible) only gives you less than a hundred frames.

1920 x 1080 = approx 200 frames

1600 x 800 = continuous record

1728 x 724 = continuous record.

Unlike in the 5DmkII where you can have proper framing in crop mode, in the 7D this is not implemented yet, so what you see is a "crop of the 3x" frame that is actually recorded.

In the 5dmkII, you are shown the proper 3X crop framing while in preview, its in grayscale and its low res and not in realtime.
Upon start of record, the image becomes high res, real time BUT its now the canon 5x crop. So you your framing is pretty much up to your imagination while rolling.

Also, since 5DmkII has FPS over ride you can dial in 23.976 while in crop mode to get 24p, on the 7D which does not yet have FPS over ride, crop mode is only 30P.

Hopefully this gets better and gets ported to the 7D as well.

5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas