7D Raw Thread

Started by noisyboy, August 05, 2013, 11:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JCBEos

Quote from: britom on August 26, 2013, 05:14:50 PM
Alternative build using the latest raw_rec from g3gg0:

- Write speed increased (Can anyone confirm?)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2358mdjq2msnivd/9jZlmta0Fb

Dont forget to copy all the files and enable the raw_rec and ime_base modules or it wont work.

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK :P

Thanks!!!

I'll test that

I got something to report on the brunonicko build, I get corrupted frames from time to time during a single movie (not only at the beginning)

look at this:

shootin@ 1920*818 (crop mode) with frame skipping enabled
My Youtube Channel -> comments and likes welcome ;)

stevelucky

Quote from: britom on August 26, 2013, 05:14:50 PM
Alternative build using the latest raw_rec from g3gg0:

- Write speed increased (Can anyone confirm?)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2358mdjq2msnivd/9jZlmta0Fb

Dont forget to copy all the files and enable the raw_rec and ime_base modules or it wont work.

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK :P

So, are these generating .MLV files instead of .RAW files now? I just tested it and, when shooting RAW, ended up with a .MLV file in the root directory instead of a .RAW file in the 100ES7D directory.

JCBEos

Quote from: stevelucky on August 26, 2013, 06:14:54 PM
ended up with a .MLV file in the root directory instead of a .RAW file in the 100ES7D directory.

did you try to de-raw this file?

My Youtube Channel -> comments and likes welcome ;)

stevelucky

Quote from: JCBEos on August 26, 2013, 06:19:50 PM
did you try to de-raw this file?

Tried, but couldn't figure out how. This is the first time that I've seen a .MLV file show up so I'm not used to working with them. I'm on a Mac and have been searching the forums on how to process them but haven't come up with much.  :-[

1%

QuoteI got something to report on the brunonicko build, I get corrupted frames from time to time during a single movie (not only at the beginning)

possible issues...1# that edmac channel is still not free... hence reslock + test... #2... sync is fucked like on 600D, you guy don't have display filters, #3, cpu usage

Yea, MLV is its own thing, its still being tested and slower than normal raw.

Heh, all these things I can look at when I get 7D or at least 7D firmware.

mucher

Britom's version is about 9-12% faster, so I can bump up the resolution 1 stop with the same CF card.

stevelucky

Quote from: 1% on August 26, 2013, 06:40:52 PM
possible issues...1# that edmac channel is still not free... hence reslock + test... #2... sync is fucked like on 600D, you guy don't have display filters, #3, cpu usage

Yea, MLV is its own thing, its still being tested and slower than normal raw.

Heh, all these things I can look at when I get 7D or at least 7D firmware.

Is there a way to disable the .MLV and shoot standard .RAW files?

blackjack102

This magic lantern is amazed! My friend just showed this website two days ago and read everywhere.  I made a raw video last night without live view! I found out that live view works this morning. I tried brunonicko's files, and it worked!

Thank you for the amazed work.

1%

You can either use the MLV converter or run an older module that outputs raw.

Yfripp

Quote from: stevelucky on August 26, 2013, 04:44:22 PM
Someone mentioned something earlier but I wanted to double-check, has there been some progress made with 128gb cards? Will they work with ML on the 7D now?

I've been using a Komputerbay 128Gb 1000x card for the last 3 months with my 7D running just about every release of magic lantern that has come out, though I never tried to use that card to boot flag my 7D, I used another card for that. I have had no problems with it so far, Raw video shoots continuously at 1728x972 @ 25P. Please note this is the 1000x card not the 1050x that was mentioned.

And also a huge thank you to all the developers of Magic Lantern.

kh3naz

i was wondering why i can get 1728 x 972 continuous , but not in crop mode , not even close (~400 frames) , is recording in crop with no line skipping more demanding for some reason ?

stevelucky

Quote from: 1% on August 26, 2013, 07:01:06 PM
You can either use the MLV converter or run an older module that outputs raw.

Is there an easy way to do that on a Mac? I found a program that uses the command line, but I was hoping there was something easier. I've been searching but haven't found the right .MLV thread.

britom

Hey 1%, while we get you a 7d is there any way i can help you get the 7d firmware? You mean a firmware update from canon or some dump from the camera?

stevelucky read from here http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7122.0
7D Builds with RAW support: http://bit.ly/14Llzda

Jim Jarmusch

Hi everyone, I'm using and trying all the modules you guys do and I am flattered, great job to ML and you guys. I Convert the files using RAWMagic and importing in AE CC and grading with Camera raw exporting using prores 4444 and editing in premiere CC upscaling to 1080p then exporting .h264.

So my question would be am I doing something wrong cuz I'm happy with the footage but not that much compared to some videos I see online.

kh3naz

Quote from: Jim Jarmusch on August 26, 2013, 08:05:43 PM
Hi everyone, I'm using and trying all the modules you guys do and I am flattered, great job to ML and you guys. I Convert the files using RAWMagic and importing in AE CC and grading with Camera raw exporting using prores 4444 and editing in premiere CC upscaling to 1080p then exporting .h264.

So my question would be am I doing something wrong cuz I'm happy with the footage but not that much compared to some videos I see online.

Your workflow sounds good , what videos are you referring to , some of them are shot in burst mode with no line skipping in 2.5k , 1728 x 972 with the RAW module is much better than the original 1080p H264 , but nowhere near as good as 2.5k in crop !

crwn_schlr

Quote from: stevelucky on August 26, 2013, 07:58:48 PM
Is there an easy way to do that on a Mac? I found a program that uses the command line, but I was hoping there was something easier. I've been searching but haven't found the right .MLV thread.

Any more thoughts on this?

I just added the newest build today and am now getting the .MLVs. Formatted card in computer, then in camera, then made it bootable, and copied the autoexec and ml files.

EDIT: Tried MLV2DNG with no luck, now Im getting "illegal instruction: 4" in the terminal window.

XXXX-iMac:~ username$ /Applications/mlv2dng /Users/username/Desktop/M26-0003.MLV
Illegal instruction: 4

Anything I'm doing wrong?

THANKS

Jim Jarmusch

Quote from: kh3naz on August 26, 2013, 08:17:55 PM
Your workflow sounds good , what videos are you referring to , some of them are shot in burst mode with no line skipping in 2.5k , 1728 x 972 with the RAW module is much better than the original 1080p H264 , but nowhere near as good as 2.5k in crop !

Yes I am shooting 1728 x 972 raw grading it with adobe camera raw and exporting it with AE CC with prores 4444 and upscaling it in premiere CC and exporting in h.264. Are my codecs right?

kh3naz

Quote from: Jim Jarmusch on August 26, 2013, 08:25:14 PM
Yes I am shooting 1728 x 972 raw grading it with adobe camera raw and exporting it with AE CC with prores 4444 and upscaling it in premiere CC and exporting in h.264. Are my codecs right?

your workflow is fine , you could export uncompressed instead of prores if you got the space , if your final output in h264 does not look as good as what it should raise the bitrate a bit

but don't expect 1728 x 972 in non crop to look as good as some of the footage you might have seen

briwil

Quote from: Jim Jarmusch on August 26, 2013, 08:25:14 PM

Well first, the question we have for you is, are you really Jim Jarmusch?  ???

DragonFlame

First I just want to say fantastic work, I am still in disbelief that the 7D is recording raw after all the issues with the Dual Processors.
I spent the weekend playing with raw and now with the extra res and fixed live view I want to take time off work to just play more.

I have noticed that Aliasing/Moire is far more apparent with Raw, can anyone who has it tell me how well the VAF-7D Moire / Aliasing Filter works when using the latest build?
Is this something that the camera hardware is causing or could a lot of it be removed with future tweaks to Magic Lantern?
Moire and Aliasing has been driving me nuts and is pretty much the only thing making this camera next to perfect for me but I don't want to drop 300 dollars until I know it has a significant difference when shooting raw.

Once again thank you so much for keeping at the development of the 7D  ;D

kh3naz

Quote from: DragonFlame on August 26, 2013, 08:48:43 PM
First I just want to say fantastic work, I am still in disbelief that the 7D is recording raw after all the issues with the Dual Processors.
I spent the weekend playing with raw and now with the extra res and fixed live view I want to take time off work to just play more.

I have noticed that Aliasing/Moire is far more apparent with Raw, can anyone who has it tell me how well the VAF-7D Moire / Aliasing Filter works when using the latest build?
Is this something that the camera hardware is causing or could a lot of it be removed with future tweaks to Magic Lantern?
Moire and Aliasing has been driving me nuts and is pretty much the only thing making this camera next to perfect for me but I don't want to drop 300 dollars until I know it has a significant difference when shooting raw.

Once again thank you so much for keeping at the development of the 7D  ;D

Aliasing/Moire is caused by line skipping , the camera  uses the whole sensor (18mp) but skips lines to output a lower resolution , ML has a solution for that and it's called crop mode , it only uses a part of the sensor without having to skip lines

This is from what i understand

Take a look at the test footage i have uploaded a while ago with lots of bricks and tiles shots , see if you can spot any moire/aliasing

Jim Jarmusch

Quote from: briwil on August 26, 2013, 08:45:36 PM
Well first, the question we have for you is, are you really Jim Jarmusch?  ???

Well, hem, yeah, dude, I mean if u are briwil, sure, why not. Joke by side of course I'm not Jim Jarmusch. Jim shoots on 35mm and on Arri Alexa as by "Only Lovers Left Alive".

DragonFlame

Thanks for your quick reply kh3naz, 2.5k is beautiful indeed and I have run my own tests with it last weekend with beautiful results also but its not very useful in a real filming situation where you need to record continuously least I could not get more than a few seconds of footage.

I have yet to test the latest build in crop mode so maybe I'm missing something, does it allow us to record more than a few seconds now?

If not for my purposes I am limited to using the camera in non cropped mode which still has issues and is why I'm looking for a solution.

kh3naz

Quote from: DragonFlame on August 26, 2013, 09:21:58 PM
Thanks for your quick reply kh3naz, 2.5k is beautiful indeed and I have run my own tests with it last weekend with beautiful results also but its not very useful in a real filming situation where you need to record continuously least I could not get more than a few seconds of footage.

I have yet to test the latest build in crop mode so maybe I'm missing something, does it allow us to record more than a few seconds now?

If not for my purposes I am limited to using the camera in non cropped mode which still has issues and is why I'm looking for a solution.

I am no Magic Lantern geek so i can't really answer you , i didn't really get answers to my own questions but i think RAW in non crop has reached its limit with 1728 x 972 continuous , the only solution for moire/aliasing is the VAF filter as far as i know

In crop mode the image is just perfect , but i can only record ~400 frames in 1728 x 972 right now , i don't understand why it isn't continuous as in non crop , continuous 1080p in crop would be amazing , let's hope for the best

DragonFlame

Its probably just something that needs some tweaking, I would settle for 1728 res in crop continuous but yes 1080p would be a dream come true.