7D Raw Thread

Started by noisyboy, August 05, 2013, 11:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kh3naz

Quote from: Ozgur on August 24, 2013, 12:33:57 AM
Guys quick question; Just recently purchased Lee kit and graduated ND glass. Since RAW video shooting hopefully(!) will be stable on 7D as well, do I still need the Graduated ND glasses or could I recover every contrast details in the post (if I set the exposure for the whole frame) without being in need for a filter glass?

The highlight recovery is amazing, but you will definitely need a ND filter to shoot with a slow shutter speed in daylight , especially wide open

vnguyen972

@fotiful That was a beautiful video, the color so rich and looks so sharp... love it!!! so inspiring!!! awesome stuff!
Love my EOS7D!

Ozgur

Quote from: kh3naz on August 24, 2013, 04:05:20 AM
The highlight recovery is amazing, but you will definitely need a ND filter to shoot with a slow shutter speed in daylight , especially wide open

I have ND filter but I was asking for "Graduated ND glass".  Wouldn't help to recover the highlights and balance the areas where it has high contrast better with the graduated ND glass even you shoot RAW as crwn_schlr mentioned?

stevelucky

Quote from: mityazabuben on August 23, 2013, 11:45:44 PM
anyone using this card http://wellcorping.en.alibaba.com/product/1052403491-218766918/Wellcore_CF_Card6_0_with_1100X_are_provided_now_.html?edm_src=sys&edm_type=fdbk&edm_grp=0&edm_cta=read_msg&edm_time=realtime&edm_ver=e
?

I heard back from the company and they said they would sell me a 64gb card for $90. They claim 160 MB/s read and 130 MB/s write. I'll let you know when I find out more.

kh3naz

Quote from: Ozgur on August 24, 2013, 04:40:49 AM
I have ND filter but I was asking for "Graduated ND glass".  Wouldn't help to recover the highlights and balance the areas where it has high contrast better with the graduated ND glass even you shoot RAW as crwn_schlr mentioned?

A Grad will definitely give you more control in some high contrast situations even with RAW , not that it's always necessary but it can always come in handy , the highlight recovery is truly amazing but controlling your exposure while shooting is always better , i hope that answers your question

mityazabuben

Quote from: stevelucky on August 24, 2013, 07:04:20 AM
I heard back from the company and they said they would sell me a 64gb card for $90. They claim 160 MB/s read and 130 MB/s write. I'll let you know when I find out more.
Ill hope you will be lucky)

jmalmsten

A couple of thoughts.

-I understand the reasoning behind going module-based... but  I ger the feeling that we could cut down on a lot of redgundant posts in  this thread if someone kept an up to date patched firmware package easily available for thosr that just want to fudge around a bit with RAW recording... and...

- Also in an effort to keep the redundancy down... why not make a real and updated FAQ in the first post. And there we could have the ready-to use firmware package at the top. And also keep it updated with known resolution-, framerate-, crop-mode- combos that does and doesn't work at the moment.

- And a final thought. At least I would appreciate if statements of resolution would be accompanied with their aspect ratio. :)

Oh. Has there been any work on trying non-square pixel recording? I mean. If it turns out that the highest resolution possible for continuous raw is in 1.5:1 or something like that. We could maybe sample from a 2.4:1 surface area and squeeze the image into the 1.5:1 recorded image using some funky Custom photosite-sampling setting. This would ensure maximum image detail even when not going for 1.5:1 aspect ratio images since we would not be cropping out any pixels. Just unsqueeze them in post. And if we get full 1080p recording we could use the same methodology to record 2.4:1 sensor area on 1.78:1 image area and end up with 33 %  oversampling when doing renders into a 1920x800 sequence in post...
My semi-bilingual site - >http://www.jmalmsten.com

davejay

EDIT: All sorted! Took both batteries out and reset the camera.

arrinkiiii

Take your battery and put again for see if your camera turn on

davejay

Quote from: arrinkiiii on August 24, 2013, 08:41:49 PM
Take your battery and put again for see if your camera turn on

That was a scary 10 minutes!!

All sorted

kh3naz

Quote from: davejay on August 24, 2013, 08:46:46 PM
That was a scary 10 minutes!!

All sorted

haha , yes it scared me the first time as well

hbr

drivetheone

Fantastic news!

i've 7D and C100 :)

i know that the ML with 7D can't outdo C100 for definition, affidability etc...

I'm waiting for continuos RAW and, with hopeless, ML for C100 :S..

Thank you Pelican (ps: i've posted a post for you in http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7873.0)

F

arrinkiiii

I have good news for all addicted 7D Magic Lantern users

We all know that there is some time now we have no master dev to write code for our beloved 7D. A1ex discovered the buffers that were possible to start the beginning of raw in our cameras. So, our dear friend Pelican could get to work on the silent picture and continuous raw. Now that he left to Brazil we continue with the same problem, we need a master dev.

I spoke with 1% and he said we would help with the 7D and get the 7D at the same level than the other cameras. But for this to happen 1% need a camera, in this case a 7D.

This is what 1% wrote
Quote from: 1% on August 25, 2013, 07:28:23 PM
Get me a 7D and I'll do 7D. Its a TON harder as its dual proc so results not super quick like 50D/6D/etc.
I'm up for the challenge...

My question is, who's willing to help/contribute so we can buy a second hand 7D to 1% ?

I AM FOR SURE!!!

Walter Schulz

What are the options?
Does he need a 7D for some time or permanently?

Ciao
Walter

arrinkiiii

Quote from: Walter Schulz on August 25, 2013, 08:31:35 PM
What are the options?
Does he need a 7D for some time or permanently?

Ciao
Walter

I don't know. But im super mega glad to offer him one 7D. If we get all together i think we can get the money easily to buy one in second hand. Like we did with the 50D.

In Portugal one 7D in second hand cost 700€ + shipment + customs it's more money like this but i think that 1% is from USA. If some one can find one good and cheap 7D in USA we don't have to pay large money in shipment and in customs... and i think in USA the cameras are more affordable. Also he already have good cf cards from the 50D.

-we have a monster that wants to wake up-

John Kesl

Quote from: arrinkiiii on August 25, 2013, 08:44:09 PM
I don't know. But im super mega glad to offer him one 7D. If we get all together i think we can get the money easily to buy one in second hand. Like we did with the 50D.

In Portugal one 7D in second hand cost 700€ + shipment + customs it's more money like this but i think that 1% is from USA. If some one can find one good and cheap 7D in USA we don't have to pay large money in shipment and in customs... and i think in USA the cameras are more affordable. Also he already have good cf cards from the 50D.

-we have a monster that wants to wake up-
I'm in, whataya need? money? tell me where to send it.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: arrinkiiii on August 25, 2013, 08:44:09 PM-we have a monster that wants to wake up-

<grin> Yes, it's about time to speed things up, Igor!

Of course I'm in!
Terms of money transaction?

Ciao
Walter

Magic 7D

I'm in!

I've actually got one that is working but is broken....
the screen is working fine and it's fine takin pictures, but the top screen is not working as should (it fell off the roof of a car while lending it to a friend and I got a new one on the insurance) I'd be real happy to send it if it's good enough and then we only need to pay for shipping..
Let me know what you think friends. I could post some pics of it, maybe worth askin 1% what he would think about it.

Otherwise I'm in for contributin with some cash. :)
A MAGIC 7D and 5D III + Lenses in the range of 15 - 400mm. Man it's shining.. it's a Lantern oh it's Magic, Aha it's Magic Lantern! ;)

Magic 7D

By the way I'm in Sweden, so just say if it's not worth shippin. Maybe it's better to get a 2nd hand one that's fully functional from US?
A MAGIC 7D and 5D III + Lenses in the range of 15 - 400mm. Man it's shining.. it's a Lantern oh it's Magic, Aha it's Magic Lantern! ;)

kh3naz

I'm definitely in , i would love to lend him my own 7D but i admit the thought of being separated from my 7D scares me a little as it is my only tool right now

kh3naz

Quote from: Magic 7D on August 25, 2013, 09:56:14 PM
I'm in!

I've actually got one that is working but is broken....
the screen is working fine and it's fine takin pictures, but the top screen is not working as should (it fell off the roof of a car while lending it to a friend and I got a new one on the insurance) I'd be real happy to send it if it's good enough and then we only need to pay for shipping..
Let me know what you think friends. I could post some pics of it, maybe worth askin 1% what he would think about it.

Otherwise I'm in for contributin with some cash. :)

I don't think he needs the top screen , this would be a really good idea , i'm sure we can all contribute for the shipping and return costs

arrinkiiii

Thank you to all  :D

We still need more people for this work good.

Meanwhile Magic 7D offer is slight broken camera with only the top screen broken... if it's good to 1% we just need to collect some money for the shipment and customs. I think with 75€ we make the "party"... if not we need to collect more money, like 700€ to buy one.

And we need some one from USA, maybe John Kesl from New York with paypal account?

Edit:

Quote from: kh3naz on August 25, 2013, 10:18:57 PM
I don't think he needs the top screen , this would be a really good idea , i'm sure we can all contribute for the shipping and return costs

Let see what 1% have to say.

Walter Schulz

What about import taxes? Here in Germany you will have a hard time with customs if the packet is screened ...

Ciao, Walter

szigiszmund

i'm in to.
if registered as a gift should not pay any fees at customs