7D Raw Thread

Started by noisyboy, August 05, 2013, 11:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kakuda

Quote from: Jon Girard on August 08, 2013, 07:36:43 AM
Tried holding it longer, doesn't go longer then 13 frames for both my 32GB cards (400x Transend, 30MB/s Sandisk neither are super quick) I got a Komputerbay 1000x card, but didn't realize there was a limitation to installing firmware on a card larger then 32 GB (the 5D3 can boot off the smaller SD, wish the 7D had a SD slot!) I guess I was doing it right? Hah! 13 frames!

Change it for SRaw :)

petejohnst

And I'll throw my short test into the ring. I tried to take some of the same shots with raw and h.264 and grade to loosely match.

AndreiAstafyev

I have a quick question. I haven't been able to find it on both the 7d raw threads. I am able to shoot burst dng's but noticed that it shoots at 30fps instead of 24. which gives you closer to 1.3 seconds instead of around 2 seconds if I were to shoot at 24fps. Any way to set the framerate to 24? Or just switch the timecode and end up with slightly slower video?
                              Thank you, Andrei

Edit:
Woops, I just had my sequence settings set up wrong!

flofifull

Thanks to Aaron (vimeo.com/user10880142), by setting the still image resolution to S2, i can now record 69 frames (1736 x 1156 pixels) and 59 frames of 2.5K (always with transcend 400X CF card).
And same number of frames with Lexar 1000x 32Go...

szigiszmund

i changed to sraw in menu end it's records the same amount of frames like before 41(1736 x 1156 pixels) and 35 of 2.5k,did you changed anything else to?
i use sandisk 8gb 60mb/s

jemabaris

Quote from: szigiszmund on August 08, 2013, 10:49:35 PM
i changed to sraw in menu end it's records the same amount of frames like before 41(1736 x 1156 pixels) and 35 of 2.5k,did you changed anything else to?
i use sandisk 8gb 60mb/s

Please, read things twice, before you post unnecessary questions. He didnĀ“t say sRaw, he said S2 ( which is the second jpeg format, the one with the rough steps) Disable raw completey.

Hope I could help you. Greetings

arrinkiiii

Yes  :D

69 frames in normal
59 frames in crop x5

For who don't understand: Go to the first tab in canon menu and put the quality for your picture in the lowest jpeg (s) and without the raw. With this you can record more frames with your silent burst picture.

Thank you flofifull and Aaron A

Also with the cropmark of petejohnst its a lot more easy to frame in 2.5k, thanks.

Jon Girard

Quote from: arrinkiiii on August 09, 2013, 12:13:49 AM
Yes  :D

69 frames in normal
59 frames in crop x5

For who don't understand: Go to the first tab in canon menu and put the quality for your picture in the lowest jpeg (s) and without the raw. With this you can record more frames with your silent burst picture.

Thank you flofifull and Aaron A

Also with the cropmark of petejohnst its a lot more easy to frame in 2.5k, thanks.

Yes! This was the info I was looking for! Thank You all! I had it on L and Raw, thats why I was only getting 13 frames. Wow, switching to SJPG (still takes RAW shots to card) gives me 69 frames now!

tiktak

Was experimenting with changing the quality to jpeg yesterday. Pretty cool that we get more frames, does any one know if it impacts the quality in the dng's ? i couldn't notice anything :)

Rai2121

@tiktak There won't be any change in the quality of the DNGs. Like with the other raw capable Canon DSLRs, setting the picture quality to sJPG frees up more of the buffer and hence we get more frames before it fills up.

MaxK7D

Quote from: stevelucky on August 08, 2013, 08:05:58 AM
Just hit the zoom button that you would normally use for focusing. It'll bring you to a X5 zoom. It will then capture 2.5k raw images.

Thanks, it works. Time to play.

arrinkiiii

Never tested if the dng's was recorded with lower quality with this settings. I think for see if the quality is the same is to view the size of the file. Later, in the afternoon, i will check if records with the same size and post here the results.   

Edit:

Only JPEG S

Crop x5= 5.318 kb
Normal = 4.062 kb

petejohnst

Weird, I've been getting 69/59 frames all along and my quality has been set on L Fine. Doesn't seem like I'm doing anything else differently, but I've never had it drop below this. Sadly, changing it to S2 didn't free up any more buffer!  :)

wonderfilm

First off, I wanted to express my sincere gratitude to all the developers over at Magic Lantern for their hard work.   You all are doing some seriously awesome and amazing work!

Next, I wanted to ask if there is anything a moderately tech savvy non-coder can do at this juncture to help out the developers in making their way to the next full build for the 7d, including raw video recording?  From reading through the forums, it seems that right now what is left to be figured out is a way to enable fps override so as to enable continuous raw video recording on the 7d.    I'm unclear about what the process entails, but if there is some monkey work type tasks that can be given to the enthusiastic community at large by the developers, I know that I for one would step up (assuming of course that the job of explaining what would need to be done to laymen would be simpler/more efficient than doing the actual task )

In any case, holding my breath and super excited about the potential of my lowly little 7d becoming a raw video beast!

Thanks again.

Joe :)

Abstrak

Footage is amazing if they manage to get atleast 500-720 frames out of 2.5k that would be amazing might be worth pickin up a 7D. I'm sure you guys will be at continuous on other resolutions in no time. Gotta love ML

Quote from: petejohnst on August 08, 2013, 04:06:26 PM

The crop appears to be 2x (18in. covered vs. 36in.), that is if you use the full width and letterbox it. If you fit it to 1920x1080, it's about 2.38x. These are on top of the 1.6x APS-C crop.

I made a custom cropmark to use with the crop sensor to frame the image. Drop this in your ML/CROPMKS folder and you can enable this for framing. Frame up in regular view before hitting the zoom button.
http://www.johnstonbrospictures.com/resources/CROP.bmp

This should work on my 60D no? I have to see if the crop overlay causes pink frames or not but hey its worth a try thanks for this!

BVG

I am getting 128 frames @ 1736x694 using the "s jpeg" only* and 59 @ 2.5k. Sometimes i get some corrupted frames.
Some of them are a pinky mess and some have some skewing and or lineskipping.

Will test some more tomorrow..

I was using sandisk extreme cards rated at 60 mb/s.
* Do not also select raw.

tonybeccar

Quote from: wonderfilm on August 09, 2013, 06:01:18 PM
First off, I wanted to express my sincere gratitude to all the developers over at Magic Lantern for their hard work.   You all are doing some seriously awesome and amazing work!

Next, I wanted to ask if there is anything a moderately tech savvy non-coder can do at this juncture to help out the developers in making their way to the next full build for the 7d, including raw video recording?  From reading through the forums, it seems that right now what is left to be figured out is a way to enable fps override so as to enable continuous raw video recording on the 7d.    I'm unclear about what the process entails, but if there is some monkey work type tasks that can be given to the enthusiastic community at large by the developers, I know that I for one would step up (assuming of course that the job of explaining what would need to be done to laymen would be simpler/more efficient than doing the actual task )

In any case, holding my breath and super excited about the potential of my lowly little 7d becoming a raw video beast!

Thanks again.

Joe :)

I was gonna suggest the same thing. I want the 7D to be as full as possible, and I am SO excited!!! Not a programmer but I am very nerd indeed!! Would love to help Pelican so much, so if there is any "monkey work" that can be done, like finding stuff through the code or something, I don't know, ANYTHING! will be willing to do it!!!!! Also would love to implement some audio features like headphones monitoring.. and stuff like that... Is it really hard to learn how to program this?? I have a tiny background on programming.. so I understand quite a bit.. but I feel this is dangerous!!

Thanks!!

arrinkiiii

More one video in 2.5k raw

-I didn't use a tripod, only what exist in the street for give me some kind of stabilization and after in post i used the warp stabilizer from cs6.

-Color correction, i have done some and in some scenes heavy grading, just to see how 14bits can handle and i must say, awesome.  Wend i past the dng to after effects i just adjust the levels of blacks and whites with camera raw, then some grading in the timeline.

-It's was difficult to me to handle the dng files and for grading it's to ward to me/computer. I move a slide and just after a few seconds it will do the job.

-For exporting it take me about 35 minutes.

-My workflow: Put each scene (dng's) in different folders. Open AE and import each folder with dng's files, it will open camera raw , i just level the blacks and whites. Make sequence, color correction and some grading. Export with h.264 (1080p vimeo preset) at 30fps. 

-I think i have to transcribe from dng's to other format, for handle better in premiere or after effects. I want to go ProRes but im using pc and i think is only for mac... if some one can give me hint would be nice =)) 

What i can say about this experince? Once you go 2.5k you'll never go back !!!   

(damn vimeo... it just let me upload one HD video per week  :'(   im going upload in youtube)

...and youtube only 720p . But evan at 720p it's amazing the 2,5k downscale to 1080p

...needed to wait to get 1080p in youtube =)))

arrinkiiii

kgv5

Quote from: arrinkiiii on August 10, 2013, 05:33:12 PM
I think i have to transcribe from dng's to other format, for handle better in premiere or after effects. I want to go ProRes but im using pc and i think is only for mac... if some one can give me hint would be nice =)) 

On windows go to DNxHD 444 10bit. Its awesome IMHO. Transcoding DNGs to DNxHD via Davinci Resolve is a couple times faster (if you have nvidia card) than doing the same via AE or premiere. Unfortunatelly resolve is not as brilliant in recovering highlights and shadows as ACR, but its quick.
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

arrinkiiii

Quote from: kgv5 on August 10, 2013, 06:48:12 PM
On windows go to DNxHD 444 10bit. Its awesome IMHO. Transcoding DNGs to DNxHD via Davinci Resolve is a couple times faster (if you have nvidia card) than doing the same via AE or premiere. Unfortunatelly resolve is not as brilliant in recovering highlights and shadows as ACR, but its quick.

Thank you Kgv5  :D

Yes, i got nvidia card, never try Resolve but ACR is very good in recovery, no doubt about that. I going try with DNxHD like you say. After transcoding just deal with the files like a normal file in after effects/premiere?

I think i don't have DNxHD codec, need to download from Avid...

arrinkiiii

@Kgv5

I know that exist a few app for transconding the raw files (new module for 7D) in your opinion whats is the best app to do this?

Thank you... big time  :D

kgv5

No problem! Definetely check resolve, you can download 9.1.5 lite version for free, it is completely useful tool. I believe it has DNxHD built in (i dont remember instaling any avid things on my computer). Check also workflow threads, almost everything is described there.
cheers
www.pilotmovies.pl   5D Mark III, 6D, 550D

arrinkiiii

Quote from: kgv5 on August 10, 2013, 07:35:46 PM
No problem! Definetely check resolve, you can download 9.1.5 lite version for free, it is completely useful tool. I believe it has DNxHD built in (i dont remember instaling any avid things on my computer). Check also workflow threads, almost everything is described there.
cheers

Thank you U rock  :D

kh3naz

Solved

Back from the store with a 1000x card , going to give this a try