7D Raw Thread

Started by noisyboy, August 05, 2013, 11:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Kesl

Hi,
I've noticed the GOP and Frame Dump hack don't work in this version, the autoload raw version of Alpha 2. Was wondering if it may be enabled.
Thanks.

noisyboy

Quote from: arrinkiiii on August 07, 2013, 12:09:24 PM

I got the same question, if the Mosaic Engineering filter going to work good with raw... or is just good  for the 1080p h.264 ?

It works amazingly well! Actually I tested it with footage shot with the 6D (provided by kvg5) and the 6D is the worst when it comes to aliasing and moire (way worse than the 7D - I know coz I have both).

Check the thread and some test footage and DNG's in this thread: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6577.msg55568#msg55568

arrinkiiii

@noisyboy

Thank you, excelente!!! Going start to saving some money for buy one  :D

jmalmsten

Quote from: arrinkiiii on August 06, 2013, 01:15:45 PM
You just need to read the first post of this thread.

Which is what I did... and once more I read it just to be sure I wasn't misreading it. After reading your reply.

So I therefore take it that it is as I have understood it. That somewhat of a burst mode is available which can be used for a couple of seconds. If, that's the case, then a simple "yes" would have sufficed...

But maybe a framerate override and a further tinker is needed before continuous recording is unlocked

Why did I ask? Well, the first post, which I was referred back to didn't really state this clearly. I came to this conclusion by reading a lot between the lines and implementing quite a bit of other results of research from the myriad of posts growing every minute. I asked it in this thread since it's supposed to be the one about 7D RAW recording development. But the first post says that RAWrecording is not yet available but in the very next couple of posts I see test-videos of the very same feature. It did't match up so I wanted get it clear. That was all.

Now, back on topic... I'll probably wait a while to see the major kinks beaten out of the codes, and a consice set of  instructions for what I have to do, what modules are needed and how they are to be installed are posted on the main magic lantern webpage. Because without that I wouldn't dare risking bricking my 7D because I patched the firmware the wrong way so that the module was incorrectly parsed. Slim risk, I know, but reading the posts which ends with declarations of uncertainty if the writer remembered the procedure correctly makes me wary. Especially when parts of the procedure is scattered on the forum.

By the way. If the same photosites are used when RAW-bursting as when recording h264 as usual, then I'm pretty sure that the VAF-7D will do just as well. Since the VAF doesn't know what you are recording with. Though, when recording in 1:1 crop the VAF will probably only do harm since the gap between photosites are just about eliminated and the anti aliasing filter that's already on the sensor is already built to tackle those conditions. So using the VAF during crop will probably just kill detail that the sensor would handle just fine on its own.

Or why not just drop the guys at Mosaic Engineering a mail asking about it. They seem like friendly folk when I asked them about mitigating the close focus alterations that the VAF induces. And I'm sure they will be able to make much more educated guesses than most of us as to what this RAW-hack might entail combined with their product.
My semi-bilingual site - >http://www.jmalmsten.com

jemabaris

Quote from: jmalmsten on August 07, 2013, 08:42:01 PM

But the first post says that RAWrecording is not yet available but in the very next couple of posts I see test-videos of the very same feature.

It´s actually not exactly the same feature.. when we talk about Raw recording, we speak of continuous 24fps recording...
The videos which you have seen are only 41 frame bursts, without fps override

greets :)

flofifull

I don't know if this is the good topic but here is my second raw video on 7D.

2.5K Raw Video - Test Crop Mode 5x - Canon 7D with Magic Lantern (Pelican's nightly build) :

Edit: Modified link to embed  8)

arrinkiiii

@flofifull

Beautiful images  :D

noisyboy

Quote from: flofifull on August 07, 2013, 10:57:16 PM

2.5K Raw Video - Test Crop Mode 5x - Canon 7D with Magic Lantern (Pelican's nightly build) :

You smashed it with that dude :) Real nice!

szigiszmund

short raw test on 7d at iso 1600
Thanks

stevelucky

Just out of curiosity, what kind/speed of CF card are you using? I seem to be getting dropped/pink frames every time I try to shoot. I'm using a 600X Duracell card. I would have thought it was fast enough, but because of the odd frame issues, I'm assuming it's not.

tonybeccar

Quote from: stevelucky on August 08, 2013, 02:48:43 AM
Just out of curiosity, what kind/speed of CF card are you using? I seem to be getting dropped/pink frames every time I try to shoot. I'm using a 600X Duracell card. I would have thought it was fast enough, but because of the odd frame issues, I'm assuming it's not.

I wanted to add that I don't get any pink frames nor corrupted ones.. and I'm using Trancend's 166x, 16gb and 32gb.. so I am not sure if it's a speed problem!! :/

LEVISDAVIS

Beautiful imagery Flofifull!
Levi S. Davis

stevelucky

Quote from: tonybeccar on August 08, 2013, 03:30:42 AM
I wanted to add that I don't get any pink frames nor corrupted ones.. and I'm using Trancend's 166x, 16gb and 32gb.. so I am not sure if it's a speed problem!! :/

It must have been an old build or something that I was using as I tested it and everything seems just great now.

Jon Girard

I must have missed something regarding using the Silent Picture mode. I loaded the required modules (as far as I can tell) and I can enable Silent Picture in simple, burst, burst end trigger, best shots, and Slit-Scan. When using burst it only takes 13 frames to the buffer then records them to the card. How to I set it to shoot continuous straight to the card?

Where can I test the crop mode resolutions too?

I'm sorry, I've been digging through the forums and cant seem to find this information. I apologize if it is listed somewhere and I missed it.

ted ramasola

Quote from: Jon Girard on August 08, 2013, 07:03:22 AM
I must have missed something regarding using the Silent Picture mode. I loaded the required modules (as far as I can tell) and I can enable Silent Picture in simple, burst, burst end trigger, best shots, and Slit-Scan. When using burst it only takes 13 frames to the buffer then records them to the card. How to I set it to shoot continuous straight to the card?

Where can I test the crop mode resolutions too?

I'm sorry, I've been digging through the forums and cant seem to find this information. I apologize if it is listed somewhere and I missed it.

I think that's why it's called "burst mode". There is NO continuous for now.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

Jon Girard

Quote from: ted ramasola on August 08, 2013, 07:07:21 AM
I think that's why it's called "burst mode". There is NO continuous for now.

Believe me, I understand this. I apologize if what I wrote seemed to imply the 7D is capable of recording for long periods. It looks like the average seems to be 2 seconds or so of recording. Though 13 frames for me seems disappointingly low. I was wondering if I was using the incorrect function, since it seems to write to a buffer first, then the card.

ted ramasola

Quote from: Jon Girard on August 08, 2013, 07:15:06 AM
Believe me, I understand this. I apologize if what I wrote seemed to imply the 7D is capable of recording for long periods. It looks like the average seems to be 2 seconds or so of recording. Though 13 frames for me seems disappointingly low. I was wondering if I was using the incorrect function, since it seems to write to a buffer first, then the card.

what kind of card are you using in terms of speed? also, try to hold down the half press longer until it fills up.

edit:

ok, I just tested now. For burst mode, its not the card speed but just the buffer thats involved.

133 X CF card= 41 frames
1000X CF card=41 frames

You must have released your finger from the shutter half press before the buffer filled up.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

Jon Girard

Quote from: ted ramasola on August 08, 2013, 07:19:32 AM
what kind of card are you using in terms of speed? also, try to hold down the half press longer until it fills up.

Tried holding it longer, doesn't go longer then 13 frames for both my 32GB cards (400x Transend, 30MB/s Sandisk neither are super quick) I got a Komputerbay 1000x card, but didn't realize there was a limitation to installing firmware on a card larger then 32 GB (the 5D3 can boot off the smaller SD, wish the 7D had a SD slot!) I guess I was doing it right? Hah! 13 frames!

ted ramasola

Quote from: Jon Girard on August 08, 2013, 07:36:43 AM
Tried holding it longer, doesn't go longer then 13 frames for both my 32GB cards (400x Transend, 30MB/s Sandisk neither are super quick) I got a Komputerbay 1000x card, but didn't realize there was a limitation to installing firmware on a card larger then 32 GB (the 5D3 can boot off the smaller SD, wish the 7D had a SD slot!) I guess I was doing it right? Hah! 13 frames!

you can still install up to 64 gig on the 7D. 128 is the one not able to handle firmware and ML.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

Jon Girard

Quote from: ted ramasola on August 08, 2013, 07:38:28 AM
you can still install up to 64 gig on the 7D. 128 is the one not able to handle firmware and ML.

Guess which one I got?  :-[ It is not that much more expensive then the 64. Oh well! Thanks for the assistance.

MaxK7D

This is so cool. I am existed about how this can go.
I am just not seeming to get crop mode to work the raw is fine but no crop mode yet. Please can you help. How / where do I enable crop mode? Thanks for all your video test as well.

stevelucky

Quote from: MaxK7D on August 08, 2013, 07:56:15 AM
This is so cool. I am existed about how this can go.
I am just not seeming to get crop mode to work the raw is fine but no crop mode yet. Please can you help. How / where do I enable crop mode? Thanks for all your video test as well.

Just hit the zoom button that you would normally use for focusing. It'll bring you to a X5 zoom. It will then capture 2.5k raw images.

immi

When will the raw rec module be out?

petejohnst

Here's a totally quick and dirty look at the full sensor vs. the crop mode.

H.264 still

Regular raw still

Crop still

The crop appears to be 2x (18in. covered vs. 36in.), that is if you use the full width and letterbox it. If you fit it to 1920x1080, it's about 2.38x. These are on top of the 1.6x APS-C crop.

I made a custom cropmark to use with the crop sensor to frame the image. Drop this in your ML/CROPMKS folder and you can enable this for framing. Frame up in regular view before hitting the zoom button.
http://www.johnstonbrospictures.com/resources/CROP.bmp

Happy shooting!

arrinkiiii

@petejohnst

Thank you for this. Going give a try on this... hope today  :D