7D Raw Thread

Started by noisyboy, August 05, 2013, 11:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doyle4

This be worth pinning at top like the rest? i remember when the 5Dmkii was unpinned and took awhile to find among new threads till pinned, :)

Looking forward to seeing what comes to the 7D Raw video.

noisyboy

ted ramasola

This is the 2nd thread I'll be closely watching. :) Thanks for starting this and pinning.

Good luck to the developer who will port the raw_rec to the 7D !!  :D
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

GuGuProd

Hi! i recently tested 7d raw and the high iso on silent picture burst
i show you my first iso test, i don't know if i did any mistake on the workflow  :'(
please help me  ;D

arrinkiiii

Good test GuGuProd but if am not mistake (some one correct me) for recording raw the best is using native ISO. 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600...

jemabaris

Quote from: GuGuProd on August 06, 2013, 02:07:28 AM
Hi! i recently tested 7d raw and the high iso on silent picture burst
i show you my first iso test, i don't know if i did any mistake on the workflow  :'(
please help me  ;D

How shall we help you, if we dont even know your workflow...? And i dont think there is a "correct" workflow. the correct workflow for you is the one that suits you best. If you give me some more information i can give you a little more advise :)

jemabaris

Quote from: arrinkiiii on August 06, 2013, 02:19:31 AM
Good test GuGuProd but if am not mistake (some one correct me) for recording raw the best is using native ISO. 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600...

The ISO question seems to be one of the hardest to answer... still, after a  shitload of research and different opinios. I´m not sure if this one is still correct, but it was the most accurate when i tried to find the best iso the last time.

For a long time we believed Iso values like 100 200 400 800 and so on were the best.

Then someone discovered that a multiple of 80 was best. Iso values like 160 320 and so on.

Turns out, the real native Iso values were just in between, not accessable for the average user.
Thats why ML allows you to dial in (negative) digital ISO...

-----> According to this the best Iso values are Iso´s 100, 200, 400 and so minus one or two EV digital ISO

gosh, just started a new thread for RAW only and we are already going off topic :D 

Hope the information im giving you is correct.

Greets, Jemabaris

ted ramasola

Quote from: jemabaris on August 06, 2013, 02:27:45 AM

The ISO question seems to be one of the hardest to answer... still, after a  shitload of research and different opinios. I´m not sure if this one is still correct, but it was the most accurate when i tried to find the best iso the last time.

For a long time we believed Iso values like 100 200 400 800 and so on were the best.

Then someone discovered that a multiple of 80 was best. Iso values like 160 320 and so on.

Turns out, the real native Iso values were just in between, not accessable for the average user.
Thats why ML allows you to dial in (negative) digital ISO...

-----> According to this the best Iso values are Iso´s 100, 200, 400 and so minus one or two EV digital ISO

gosh, just started a new thread for RAW only and we are already going off topic :D 

Hope the information im giving you is correct.

Greets, Jemabaris

I'm also curious, as to make your comment stay on topic, I too was aware that best practice before raw video was 160 320 640 etc ISO.
But that was for H264.

Now that some of us use raw video, does that still apply?
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

jemabaris

160 320 and so on were Not the best isos as I just explained. For example. 160 was better than 100 but actually 160 is a pulled ISO 200. So choosing ISO 200 and applying two stops negative ISO gives you 170 which is even better. Generally speaking, whole isos like 100 200 and so on minus one or two stops negative iso are the way to go

ted ramasola

Quote from: jemabaris on August 06, 2013, 02:46:22 AM
160 320 and so on were Not the best isos as I just explained. For example. 160 was better than 100 but actually 160 is a pulled ISO 200. So choosing ISO 200 and applying two stops negative ISO gives you 170 which is even better. Generally speaking, whole isos like 100 200 and so on minus one or two stops negative iso are the way to go

I was basing my usage of ISOs from recommendations of Shane Hurlbut ASC when he did some tests on which ISOs "look better" for his films. Here's a link to his "ideal" settings. Though he could be wrong and you are right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=apTMHG-g5nQ&t=371

And I'd like to add, that this posts in relation to this thread is my curiosity if the same still applies in raw video.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

jemabaris

Well, he is not using ML, not giving him the option for those isos. Without ML those might be the best. But we all do have ML, don't we? ;)

GuGuProd

sorry i write the workflow in yt video description but i forget to rewrite here,

original DNG files > photoshop camera raw as single frame > saved as PSD > import in premiere....

i don't know what sequence settings are the best for comparing h264 clips with psd generated by raw files, i used the "classic" match clip settings on the 7d - h264 files
:-X :-X :-X

ted ramasola

Here's a res chart on the burst mode. At 1X, also at cropped mode (3X ?) and for comparison an H264 .mov chart in the end.

I think we'll need the VAF for this. Good thing it's already available. I only have one for the 5DmkII.

view in HD 1080.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

GuGuProd

however, i've exported and uploaded a new version of the previews test with a little bit of noise reduction and adjustment in camera raw..

tomorrow i'll shoot some daylight raw footage to compare.. sorry here in italy the clock mark 5:16 AM... i'll go to bed   ::)

arrinkiiii

Quote from: ted ramasola on August 06, 2013, 02:52:18 AM
I was basing my usage of ISOs from recommendations of Shane Hurlbut ASC when he did some tests on which ISOs "look better" for his films. Here's a link to his "ideal" settings. Though he could be wrong and you are right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=apTMHG-g5nQ&t=371

And I'd like to add, that this posts in relation to this thread is my curiosity if the same still applies in raw video.

No,
ISO 160 and multiples of that is just for H.264 (less noise)
ISO 100 and multiples of that is for raw

GuGuProd

a1ex

On 5D3, in LiveView RAW, ISO 160 = 200 = 250 (the digital gain does not affect the raw data). Can you check if it's true on 7D? Also, 3200 should be identical to 6400 or higher.

In photo raw (CR2), the digital gain is burned into the raw data (=> it affects the noise pattern and dynamic range).

John Kesl

Audionut

I've got an updated 7D build here:  https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6k0bh72mbb52fsi/k2Nx-hV2Aa

I've included all the usual modules except raw_rec.  If you want that working, you should help Pelican here:  http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7508.0

Doyle4

Doyle4

For workflows id recommend reading the 5Dmkii and iii posts, i cant see them been any different?  :)

jmalmsten

So, just to get things straight, RAW video shooting on the 7D is not yet available in experimental form. What is available is some form of silent picture shooting, that just basically bursts pictures as fast as the card can allow using reduced resolution compared with full more than 10 megapixels per image? This can be used as a simple image sequence but the fps isn't reliable?

I'm sorry if I'm being ignorant, but I've spent the last day sifting through threads where some post state that it's not yet available and some posts even showing test-videos. So things just seem to be a bit contradictory.  Is there a single thread that I should read to get up to date? Because, right now I have like ten threads open in different tabs in my browser with multiple dozens of pages in each. I'd be happy to read up on the subject, but I feel like I don't know where to start, to keep it relevant to the research.
My semi-bilingual site - >http://www.jmalmsten.com

arrinkiiii

Quote from: jmalmsten on August 06, 2013, 01:05:43 PM
So, just to get things straight, RAW video shooting on the 7D is not yet available in experimental form. What is available is some form of silent picture shooting, that just basically bursts pictures as fast as the card can allow using reduced resolution compared with full more than 10 megapixels per image? This can be used as a simple image sequence but the fps isn't reliable?

I'm sorry if I'm being ignorant, but I've spent the last day sifting through threads where some post state that it's not yet available and some posts even showing test-videos. So things just seem to be a bit contradictory.  Is there a single thread that I should read to get up to date? Because, right now I have like ten threads open in different tabs in my browser with multiple dozens of pages in each. I'd be happy to read up on the subject, but I feel like I don't know where to start, to keep it relevant to the research.

You just need to read the first post of this thread.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: Audionut on August 06, 2013, 10:22:55 AMI've got an updated 7D build here:  https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6k0bh72mbb52fsi/k2Nx-hV2Aa

Has someone tested ETTR in this build? No luck on my side of the screen.
Proper bug report will follow.

Ciao, Walter