7D Raw Thread

Started by noisyboy, August 05, 2013, 11:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LiberationFrequency

Has any installation procedures changed since this sticky? : http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7464.0

I have tried following that 100% but the Alpha 2 packaged in eoscard does not include the MLV recorder module when I write everything to the card.  I have also done the full procedure in the sticky and JUST overwritten the modules folder for the March11 tragic lantern.  Also, have just flat out dragged the entire March11th commit onto a minty fresh CF and I get the same old API error.  Must be missing something.

ted ramasola

if you have successfully installed ML following the installation instruction and you can confirm it running on your 7D, the next step is to follow the nightly updates and monitor this thread for any major changes.
The nightlies has the MLV modules you need.
Don't use raw_rec and MLV_rec together, choose one to load.
There is no new "official stable" release just nightlies which "may or may not work" depending on the fixes being done. If you find a nightly that does not work, contribute by reporting its bugs. You can step back to a version that works.

Nightlies from here.: http://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

LiberationFrequency

Was able to get the mlv_rec module to work with the link you posted, however I could not find the options of crop mode, fps override and the like.  Will keep digging.

jayzed

Crop mode becomes available when you press the zoom button to x5. I don't know if it's been fixed but I switch off x10 zoom in the ML settings as it used to freeze.

So, press the zoom button once, for x5.
(While still zoomed) open the ML menus and go to the video menu where you will see new options for frame size under RAW (if switched on) under the 'Q' button.
Also enable FPS override here, it should be in the video menu.
I also switch the number of buffers to 1, based on advice here. It gives a whisker more performance, which you'll probably need for the higher non standard frame sizes. I've managed 2048x1152 at 25 FPS using MLV rec with audio off (from the audio menu), although I had buffers at 2 at the time. I also switch the photo size to JPEG only, small size (RAW off).

1%

you can record over the frozen 10x and its faster if you aren't previewing anything while recording. The grayscale/color works over the frozen YUV.

Flyingsheep

I am a new participant in ML RAW video.  Here are my experiences.  With ML nightly build Feb 26th, I turned on the mlv_rec module and set the resolution to 1728x972 (max it would go) at 16:9.  I wanted to see how much I could go with a Sandisk 16GB 60MB/s card.  Managed to go as far as 338 frames, no pink frames or corruption.  Not bad... if I change the aspect ratio to 2.35:1 I get continuous recording, or if I lower the resolution to 1344x756.

However, going into 720p 60fps in movie mode I get a ton of pink frames.  Haven't tried TL yet or raw_rec.

LiberationFrequency

Which converter is everyone using to convert the .MLVs?  Would be fantastic if there were a converter that I could rip out xdcam proxies and dng masters in one fell swoop.  MLV converter 1.8.2 routinely fails on me and will only export audio after I pointed it to all the corresponding applications as prompted on initial startup.

I am also not finding FPS override in the Raw video submenu after zoomed in.  Have tried with main menu settings of 1080/30 and 1080/24 and no go on either.  Old version on my end or missing something?

Flyingsheep

I used MLV Converter 1.8.2.  It seemed to work well, but I am on a mac platform and have to use bootcamp to convert the mlv files in Windows 7.  Couldn't get any of the Mac workflows to work as of yet.

Frank7D

Quote from: LiberationFrequency on March 12, 2014, 10:39:11 PM
I am also not finding FPS override in the Raw video submenu after zoomed in.  Have tried with main menu settings of 1080/30 and 1080/24 and no go on either.  Old version on my end or missing something?

Last I checked (been a few weeks), the ml nightly did not have frame override in crop mode. Tragic Lantern nightly does though.

DenJS

Quote from: Flyingsheep on March 12, 2014, 11:47:57 PM
but I am on a mac platform and have to use bootcamp to convert the mlv files in Windows 7.
You anyway need to prepare extracted dngs files for further processing, right?
I use console app mlv_dump then adobe photoshop (camera raw) for color correction and white balance etc and then export all dngs to tiffs. After this you can use tiffs in Apple Motion. It automatically stacks all tiffs in one solid movie and for example you can export timeline to proress4444 with attached wav of course. But maybe windows workflow is better, don't know ;)

sml1187

Hello everyone, I have a problem with my 7D when shooting in RAW with latest build (but same with the old builds) I have sudden changes of brightness. What could it be?

N/A

Haven't gotten a single corrupted frame since I got my 7d, this is with TL March 5th build iirc. I haven't really pushed all the features though, but everything looks to be extremely stable. Slo mo at 60p even works well, an easy way to scale 720p footage back to normal is to open in AE, process through ACR like normal, and set your composition to 1920x1080 (if you shot your 60p in 16x9 aspect), or 1280x720 if you want to downscale. Right click your footage, transform, fit to comp. Profit.
7D. 600D. Rokinon 35 cine. Sigma 30 1.4
Audio and video recording/production, Random Photography
Want to help with the latest development but don't know how to compile?

N/A

Actually, after further evaluation, the aspect ratios in 720p mode are way off, and as someone else mentioned, the vertical rez needs to be multiplied by 1.66, and not 1.40, as the MLV module states. Therefore, if you're recording 1728x972 on 24p and want to shoot a slo mo scene to match the resolution, you'd have to shoot it at 2.20:1, or 1728x560.
BUT WAIT A MINUTE. 560x1.66=929.6. Hmmmmm. There really isn't a correct aspect to properly match footage. So if the entire 60p MLV module is set to a multiplier of 1.40 instead of 1.66, then is the entire set of aspect ratios wrong?

Flyingsheep

Quote from: DenJS on March 13, 2014, 10:54:11 AM
You anyway need to prepare extracted dngs files for further processing, right?
I use console app mlv_dump then adobe photoshop (camera raw) for color correction and white balance etc and then export all dngs to tiffs. After this you can use tiffs in Apple Motion. It automatically stacks all tiffs in one solid movie and for example you can export timeline to proress4444 with attached wav of course. But maybe windows workflow is better, don't know ;)

I don't process the dng files in my workflow.  I just open them in After Effects CS6 in Mac, do the adobe camera raw adjustments, and then export as ProRes 4444.

Quote from: N/A on March 13, 2014, 01:22:21 PM
Haven't gotten a single corrupted frame since I got my 7d, this is with TL March 5th build iirc. I haven't really pushed all the features though, but everything looks to be extremely stable. Slo mo at 60p even works well, an easy way to scale 720p footage back to normal is to open in AE, process through ACR like normal, and set your composition to 1920x1080 (if you shot your 60p in 16x9 aspect), or 1280x720 if you want to downscale. Right click your footage, transform, fit to comp. Profit.

Out of curiousity, what CF card are you using? I'll try that build.

Flyingsheep

When I put the TL autoexec.bin in place of the ML one and start the 7D, I get these errors after booting it up:

Scanning modules...
Load modules...
[i] load: MLV_PLAY.MO
[i] load: MLV_REC.MO
[i] load: RAW_REC.MO
Linking...
tcc: error: undefinded symbol 'strcpy'
tcc: error: undefinded symbol 'strlen'
[E] failed to link modules

Is there something I'm missing?

N/A

QuoteOut of curiousity, what CF card are you using? I'll try that build
Lexar 1000x 64gb. Highest write speed I've gotten in benchmarks is 89.3 MB/s. I'm guessing this is the 7d's limit

ted ramasola

Quote from: Flyingsheep on March 14, 2014, 08:15:43 AM
When I put the TL autoexec.bin in place of the ML one and start the 7D, I get these errors after booting it up:

Scanning modules...
Load modules...
[i] load: MLV_PLAY.MO
[i] load: MLV_REC.MO
[i] load: RAW_REC.MO
Linking...
tcc: error: undefinded symbol 'strcpy'
tcc: error: undefinded symbol 'strlen'
[E] failed to link modules

Is there something I'm missing?

what about the ML folder from TL nightlies? did you include that in updating the files in your CF?
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

tonybeccar

Hey one 'old' question... are the KB 128gb 1000x still giving performance problems or the batches are coming ok now? Are 64gb still better? I may be purchasing cards soon so I'd like to know what to do. Thanks!

1%

I like the 64gigs simply because you will lose less data if they die.

As for the aspect its probably only right on digic V for the squished modes. I had to change it for 600D, I bet its different for 7D too. I think its 2/3 on non full frames.

tonybeccar

Quote from: 1% on March 14, 2014, 04:42:17 PM
I like the 64gigs simply because you will lose less data if they die.

Wow... what an answer! Anyway how often did that happen? I read a couple of cases long ago.. with faulty ML builds of that day...

ted ramasola

Tony,

go for the 64gig 1000x. They are faster than the 128gig 1050X.

The 128 1050x could be useful when just using 1x mode and getting longer record times at 1729x972 but not so when going for the higher resolutions in crop mode and higher framerates at 50 and 60p.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

1%

A1ex fixed the misaligned overlays bug!

tonybeccar

Quote from: ted ramasola on March 15, 2014, 12:32:02 AM
Tony,

go for the 64gig 1000x. They are faster than the 128gig 1050X.

The 128 1050x could be useful when just using 1x mode and getting longer record times at 1729x972 but not so when going for the higher resolutions in crop mode and higher framerates at 50 and 60p.

Nice, thanks for the info! :)

tonybeccar

Hey I know it's a super duplicated old question... but dual iso video on the 7D is impossible? Why photo and not video?

arrinkiiii

Quote from: 1% on March 15, 2014, 01:24:12 AM
A1ex fixed the misaligned overlays bug!

This is about the bug wend you record and preview in camera and back to Lv ?