7D Raw Thread

Started by noisyboy, August 05, 2013, 11:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lanre

Hi folks!
Could someone tell me, which is the latest reliable built for continuous raw recording? (I don't need sound or crop mode)
I was supposed to get my Blackmagic 4k before a video gig on monday but it didn't deliver in time (surprise) so I'll have to do the gig with my 7D. I used the TL raw on september with good success but haven't really followed the thread since that. I'd appreciate it a lot if someone who has been following this thread and trying the latest builds could inform me Thanks a lot!

ted ramasola

The nightly ML is safe to use if you are only using 1X mode, since it still doesn't have fps override needed in crop mode. If you need crop mode then use TL. I've only tested  Mar 2 for TL and Feb 24 Nightly ML.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

Lanre

Ok, thanks for the quick answer. I'll test the latest ML Nightly. Would you suggest using MLV or RAW rec? As I said, I'll record audio separately.

ted ramasola

Just use MLV, on the 7D you can't go higher than 1728 anyway. If its a 5D2, using raw_rec can give you a bit longer recording time on a higher res.

Even if you're using separate sound recorder, the scratch track from MLV could come in handy.

edit:

Let me just add quickly that IF YOU had good experience using raw_rec and is comfortable using it, then just use what you are comfortable with.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

Lanre

Ok, good to know. I used raw rec last time, maybe I'll stick to that. Thanks again :)

crwn_schlr

Couple quick questions in preparation for a concert gig (tried searching but I couldn't find specific answers.):

1. Which 7D build is best to record sound with raw? Am I correct to assume the current ML build doesn't?

2. Can sound only be recorded with the MLV format?

3. Is it only usable as scratch audio?

4. I've used the raw_rec function in the past, as I'm on a mac and the mlv process on a mac was too complicated for my taste at the time. Have there been any updates to the mac MLV workflow?

Still searching, but thanks for the help ahead of time.

ted ramasola

Quote from: crwn_schlr on March 07, 2014, 07:17:36 PM
Couple quick questions in preparation for a concert gig (tried searching but I couldn't find specific answers.):

1. Which 7D build is best to record sound with raw? Am I correct to assume the current ML build doesn't?

2. Can sound only be recorded with the MLV format?

3. Is it only usable as scratch audio?

4. I've used the raw_rec function in the past, as I'm on a mac and the mlv process on a mac was too complicated for my taste at the time. Have there been any updates to the mac MLV workflow?

Still searching, but thanks for the help ahead of time.

1. The mar 2 nightly already has the MLV snd module and even the earlier ones. TL has fps over ride in case you'll use crop mode. If not ML nightly is safe to use in 1X.

2. yes

3. I've tested it to be good when used with an external preamp/mixer and external mic. It can do 48khz as well as 44, 22, 11 and 8khz.

4. I'm using PC and the workflow is stable and reliable so far.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

Frank7D

I did some more testing on the torn frame issue.
It appears to be related to the preview; specifically the ml grayscale preview used in crop mode.

Canon 7D
2/23 TL build
RAW video (MLV)
crop mode
1792x1008
23.976 fps
Global Draw: ON
Preview: Auto
Overlay/Global Draw/LiveView
MLV Sound / separate WAV

I shot the back of a rocking chair, with the vertical struts filling the frame from top to bottom, and panned constantly back and forth to reveal the issue if it was present.

Test 1:
Alternated between using ml preview and Canon (hit "INFO." button to toggle between the two).
Shot 12 clips, 6 with Canon preview and 6 with ml preview.
Clips averaged 33 sec (794 frames) long, ranging from 450 to 1065 frames.
The 6 Canon preview clips were fine.
5 of the 6 ml preview clips had the torn frame issue.

Test 2:
Shot 15 clips with ml preview.
Clips averaged 12 sec (294 frames) long, ranging from 256 to 342 frames.
13 of the 15 ml preview clips had the torn frame issue.

Test 3:
Shot 11 clips with Canon preview (switched from Preview: Auto to Preview: Canon).
Clips averaged 15 sec (356 frames) long, ranging from 304 to 430 frames.
All 11 clips were ok.

Overall stats:
17/17 Canon preview clips were ok.
18/21 ml preview clips had the issue.

Notes:
1. When the clip is bad, it is usually bad all the way through, with alternating good and bad frames. Maybe 3 or 4 times, it was only bad for part of the clip.
2. In all but one of the bad clips, the tear was near the top of the frame, so if there was no motion there (static background) it wouldn't be noticed.

Let me know if you need more info/testing.

1%

So global draw + single buffered LV (ML preview) = torn frames?

Frank7D

Quote from: 1% on March 07, 2014, 09:45:41 PM
So global draw + single buffered LV (ML preview) = torn frames?

Is "single buffered LV (ML preview)" the same as the "ML Grayscale" preview for crop mode? If so, then yes.

1%

Yea, it makes the YUV display single buffered. Does it still cut if you turn off the preview while recording?

Frank7D

Quote from: 1% on March 07, 2014, 11:01:43 PM
Yea, it makes the YUV display single buffered. Does it still cut if you turn off the preview while recording?

Turn it off in the middle of a recording you mean?

1%

Kind of... I mean if you GD off while recording is it still an issue?
Or does using it before recording already cause the problem. This seems like the case with HDMI. If I use the preview and don't open/close the LV I get the pink frames in the YUV.

Frank7D

OK, did another test:

6 clips using same settings as above.
For each one, I started with ml grayscale preview and started recording and about 11 seconds later disabled the preview by pushing the "INFO." button.
In all cases, the frame tearing was there until I disabled the preview after which point the video looked fine.
Based on this, the preview only causes the issue while it is engaged, so using it for framing before recording should not cause the problem.

1%

Good to know it works this way at least. The LV stays single buffered until its reset so that part isn't causing it, just the high load it seems. Do you have more problems when the color preview is enabled... Its even more taxing than the B/W

Frank7D

Quote from: 1% on March 07, 2014, 11:35:06 PM
Good to know it works this way at least. The LV stays single buffered until its reset so that part isn't causing it, just the high load it seems. Do you have more problems when the color preview is enabled... Its even more taxing than the B/W

You mean the canon preview that isn't framed right in crop mode? That one hasn't caused me any problems.

1%

No I mean full time color preview from the mlv_rec menus. The canon preview is YUV.

Frank7D

Quote from: 1% on March 08, 2014, 12:01:32 AM
No I mean full time color preview from the mlv_rec menus. The canon preview is YUV.

OK, I'll try to check that.

In the meantime, I tried a tighter crop (640x360) and saw no tearing with 6 clips using ml grayscale preview.

Frank7D

Where do I find "full time color preview"? Don't see it under Movie / RAW Video (MLV) / Preview.

1%

its in the MLV advanced.. in vanilla ML it comes up when you hold half shutter during the grayscale preview

Frank7D

I did 5 clips with the full time color preview (holding shutter halfway).
4 out of 5 had torn frames; they looked no better or worse than the ones I got using grayscale.

1%

So I assume its back to the same deal with high CPU load making the cuts happen. At least they're not pink frames now.

LiberationFrequency

Must be missing something in my install of the latest stuff.

I am getting an OldAPI error on all of the MLV modules (v5, expecting v4).  Followed the stickies to create it, was able to use the RAW recorder, but the MLV wont work.  Any updated procedures for installing it?

1%

it should come with the zip, i've been replacing it every time and it has run.

crwn_schlr

Quote from: ted ramasola on March 07, 2014, 07:28:05 PM
1. The mar 2 nightly already has the MLV snd module and even the earlier ones. TL has fps over ride in case you'll use crop mode. If not ML nightly is safe to use in 1X.

2. yes

3. I've tested it to be good when used with an external preamp/mixer and external mic. It can do 48khz as well as 44, 22, 11 and 8khz.

4. I'm using PC and the workflow is stable and reliable so far.

Thanks Ted, got everything worked out.

whipped this up real quick for a vimeo challenge:

https://vimeo.com/88829386

komputerbay 1000x 32g, March 6th TL build.

Recorded in 2.35:1 (stretched 1.6 then cropped back to 2.35) max live view width, 48 fps, 1/96th shutter, iso 200, canon 50 1.4, variable ND.

Davinci > Filmconvert (IL FN FP) > Premiere/AE

sound was recorded on a  tascam dr-05 with the new little rode go mic.

Only issue to report is mlv sound didn't terminate recording properly once. Pretty sure it happened when i was in 720/60f in canon menus and at max live res/48f in ML menus and then recorded a crop with MLV sound on. Probably more of a forced error than anything, wasn't detrimental to the shoot at all.

thanks again.