7D Raw Thread

Started by noisyboy, August 05, 2013, 11:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

feureau

Quote from: dpmaia on September 05, 2013, 05:22:57 PM
Have you guys tested some of the wide zooms with the crop mode to see which performs best?
I know that Sigma 10-20 has very low distortion, but not as sharp as the Tokina 11-16, for example.

My brother has the Tokina 11-16. While the lens is sharp wide open at 2.8, it has this blooming effect like soft focus when you shoot against something really bright, like when exposing for indoor and shooting a window frame.

Pelican

Quote from: dne202 on September 05, 2013, 04:06:08 PM
or you shoot 1280 and have to buy a bunch of wider lenses to compensate for the smaller image plane.
It's not necessary a bad thing because it can be an advantage if you need long telephoto...
And even if you need wide angle you have to buy only ONE lens, below your widest lens, not a BUNCH...
EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5, EOS 100 + lenses (10mm to 300mm), 600EX, 550EX, YN600EX x 3
EOScard, EOS DSLR firmwares, ARMu, NiControl, etc.: http://pel.hu/down

Rai2121

For this test I wanted to try out the new Canon 7D ML raw ability on a longer shoot. The goal was to see how good of a image we could get while also telling a short narrative. All the clips were shot at 1728x972 with a 1000x Komputerbay 64GB card.

The first thing I noticed is that the 7D is still prone to over heating on long shoots. There were times we would stop and dump the footage solely because the camera needed to cool down and was dropping frames or producing too many corrupted frames. Ice packs were used several times. It was Texas in August, but were always in the shade and so this was disappointing to learn that raw recording doesn't produce any less heat for the 7D. I haven't made the switch over to .mlv, but I've read that it produces less corrupted frames, so I will be switching soon.

We shot separate audio and then synced in post. We unfortunately had some issues with it, but this had nothing to do with the ML raw recording module.

The images pretty much speak for themselves. This is way better then anything you can shoot with h.264. Many, many thanks to the whole ML team and all the contributors on the ML Forum.

We used a VAF on the shoot and didn't noticed any moire or aliasing. I did notice some vertical lines especially in the dark grey shirt. Not sure if that was from processing them in ACR or not.

It took me two days to process the footage before I could start editing, so that was a new experience. I edited in FCPX, so after I tweaked the incoming footage, I exported each sequence to ProRes 422 (HQ) then synced all the audio. As long as you use a clapper, this isn't difficult at all.

All in all, the image quality is SO much better then h.264, that I really can't go back. No matter how much more difficult it is to work with (and I'm sure it will continue to get easier) its the only way to shoot with a Canon DSLR for me at this point.

PANDETTA

it is 1728x972, so it's very close to 1080p. However I still feel the footage is quite soft. Is it because of the internet compression thing? idk. but I've seen way sharper raw video of 5D3 on vimeo.

Rai2121

I just checked on it and Vimeo now says that its converting it into 1080p instead of 720p, so for the moment its just showing SD...? Kinda weird. It should be HD again soon and it definitely looks way sharper...lol.

Update: It should now be 1080p in the embed.

JCBEos

Quote from: Rai2121 on September 05, 2013, 07:20:34 PM

The first thing I noticed is that the 7D is still prone to over heating on long shoots.

Maybe you can use this?

;D
My Youtube Channel -> comments and likes welcome ;)

Pileot

Quote from: JCBEos on September 05, 2013, 09:22:31 PM

Maybe you can use this?

;D

I have bought several ebay batteries that CLAIMED to have much higher capacity than the Canon OEM one. In order to test I set the cam to record with the lens cap on in a box with a computer fan to keep it cool. Without the fan I could go about 45 mins to an hour before overheating became an issue. With the fan there were no overheating issues at all.

In theory you COULD make a rig with a cover of some sort over the camera body and a fan blowing towards the cam on one side and an opening on the other side to let the air out. Remote screen for live view and bolt on a battery pack to power the fan and away you go!  Even blowing warm air over the camera body will help cool it down.

Best thing about this is no ice packs needed and no risk of condensation in the camera!

Theres also this:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6685.msg53763#msg53763

JCBEos

Quote from: Pileot on September 05, 2013, 10:05:20 PM
Best thing about this is no ice packs needed and no risk of condensation in the camera!

How do you deal with the beer without ice packs?  ::)

the main problem is that heat is contained inside the body without any way to go out.
so the camera body is the dissipator. A simple fan could do the job as you said.
But in long term use, there's still a risk to broke your camera. Time will tell

1%

Quotethat raw recording doesn't produce any less heat for the 7D

More.. 50D overheats too, 6D doesn't but feels hot. None of the other features in camera stress it as much or write close to as fast.

jman

Quote from: nick.p on August 30, 2013, 10:18:52 AM
I'm having a cracker tonight!
http://www.nickpotts.com.au/downloads/ML_nick_g3gg0_30_Aug_2013_v3.zip
Just a quick ? about this build. The mlv's are working fine. Is it possible to record raw at 23.976 frames or does this only do 30 frames? My menu in canon is set to 1929 x 1080 24. When I bring the dng files into AE it shows the clip at 30 fps. Do you think audio will be ever available for raw? Cheers....John

mucher

I have found that the camera is less hot with its original metal handgrip, one of my CF card cannot shoot to all the way to be full without a handgrip (it will show "skip frame"), but with a handgrip it can shoot all the way.

ted ramasola

Quote from: jman on September 06, 2013, 01:58:28 AM
Just a quick ? about this build. The mlv's are working fine. Is it possible to record raw at 23.976 frames or does this only do 30 frames? My menu in canon is set to 1929 x 1080 24. When I bring the dng files into AE it shows the clip at 30 fps. Do you think audio will be ever available for raw? Cheers....John

Set your AE to conform the dngs to 23.976, the default import settings must have been set to 29.97. Change it.
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

jman

Quote from: ted ramasola on September 06, 2013, 03:00:18 AM
Set your AE to conform the dngs to 23.976, the default import settings must have been set to 29.97. Change it.
Thank you !!!

mr_pablo

Could someone point me to the correct post/link for the latest build that allows continuous RAW recording?

Tried trawling back through the past 10 pages but couldn't seem to find the correct thing?

Sorry for being a nuisance!

stevelucky

Quote from: mr_pablo on September 06, 2013, 03:56:17 PM
Could someone point me to the correct post/link for the latest build that allows continuous RAW recording?

Tried trawling back through the past 10 pages but couldn't seem to find the correct thing?

Sorry for being a nuisance!

You didn't notice it 4 posts above yours?

stevelucky

I'd be interested to hear what people have found to be the best settings for recording RAW. Global draw on or off? Video hacks on or off? Buffer settings? There are a lot of variables and I'm never really sure the best settings.

RenatoPhoto

Global Draw Off
Preview Hacked
Hacks on
Buffer 4/3 if you are using mlv build, further reading here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7122.0
if you are using unified build you will not have and option for buffer selections.
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: mr_pablo on September 06, 2013, 03:56:17 PM
Also here:
7D Test builds with Raw Support
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7987.msg73827;topicseen#msg73827
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

hbr

ok so is mlv working ok now? should I finally make a switch from raw?

JCBEos

wheezl

Quote from: stevelucky on September 06, 2013, 05:05:46 PM
You didn't notice it 4 posts above yours?

Be nice :)  It can be a lot of shit to wade through if one is just getting started.

stevelucky

Quote from: wheezl on September 07, 2013, 01:14:19 AM
Be nice :)  It can be a lot of shit to wade through if one is just getting started.

Fair enough. I didn't intend for it to sound as harsh as it did.  :P

stevelucky

Quote from: RenatoPhoto on September 06, 2013, 08:08:51 PM
Global Draw Off
Preview Hacked
Hacks on
Buffer 4/3 if you are using mlv build, further reading here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7122.0
if you are using unified build you will not have and option for buffer selections.

Could you clarify what you mean with the Buffer setting? Everything else I follow, but I'm not sure exactly which setting that is. Is that the setting within Video Hacks?

Bjlemenager

Is there any way to convert or edit the .mlv directly yet, or does this format have to be converted to DNG and then to the final product/or proxy?

dpmaia

Quote from: stevelucky on September 07, 2013, 07:11:47 AM
Could you clarify what you mean with the Buffer setting? Everything else I follow, but I'm not sure exactly which setting that is. Is that the setting within Video Hacks?

It's inside the RAW option (1# latest build), right above "take" and "text". For me it came buffer 4 by default.