What is the advantage of a sytem camera like EOS-M?

Started by OpenMind, August 05, 2013, 03:03:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OpenMind

Can someone explain me what the advantage of an M-EOS camera?

Small is nice, but what is left of this advantage when the device with lens is as big as a DSLR?
Canon: 5Dc, 650D. EF 24-105mm f/4L IS, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, 1.4x II, 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS, 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye, 40mm f2.8 STM, 50mm f/1.8 II, EF-S18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, Speedlite 600EX-RT, Macro Ring Lite MR-14EX, Sigma: 12-24mm f4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM

1%

andrewcates

Great question - I just bought one this week, and I did so specifically because I wanted a 2nd camera angle for interviews that were of the quality I'm getting from my 5DM2 (great glass, manual controls, etc.). I've tried some using my GoPro H3, but the quality of the footage is so different, that I'm loving the ability to use my Canon L glass. I'm shooting the primary camera with a 70-200mm f/2.8, and my 50mm f/1.2 is perfect for the EOS-M because it is not a full frame sensor, thus I get more 'reach' from the 50mm.

Next step - installing ML on the EOS-M... doing this this weekend. Only downside of the EOS-M that I thought would work, is that the EOS utility does not support remote shooting and live view like it does my other cameras. I'll live without it, but am bummed that it's not there.

Hope this helps. Happy Labor Day everyone.

Andy

KSphoto

With a compact lens the camera is much much smaller than my 5D's and I can use my EF lenses when I don't care about the size. I purchased it for a family cam that was advanced enough for me to enjoy. The image quality is excellent but the autofocus is poor. For video who cares. It is so much easier for steadicam or handheld footage. Not only is the camera small (and can autofocus during video) but all the rigs and supports can be smaller too. My steadicam is a Smoothee, its high quality small and cheap comparably. It looks great with vintage lenses which tend to be more compact than modern lenses. Lots of fun for cheap!$300
5DC, 5D2, 5D3, EOS M, too many lenses.