script Dir Missing, 66 frames at 20-22mb/s, errors.

Started by Disease, August 03, 2013, 09:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Disease

Hi I am completely overwhelmed by my new camera the 50D. I came from a gh2 and I still dont fully know how to use the Canon interface and now I am learning ML aswell. I have installed the module for raw and it changed the menu and gave me the option to shoot raw. BUT Shooting stops after 66 frames and when I go back to the raw settings in the menu it says. Expect around 66 frames at 20-22mb/s. I also get the error at start up "script dir missing"... I have  a Komputer bay x1000 card? What am I doing wrong? It does not appears to be filling its buffer fully?

I would really appreciate any help here to get me started so I can experiment with some raw video..
Many thanks!
Dom.

Disease

Sometimes it changes what it says in the raw menu settings after it stops recording. It says Expect 88 frames at 33-37mb/s now?

Disease

Ok so it seems the buffer usage is maxing out. But I have a fast CF card?? It seems to max out at about 45mb/s??
I dont have a fast card reader to test if this card is the fault or not! Any other reason why the buffer would max out?

Disease

I solved the script dir missing issue just by creating the script directory in the cf card

Disease

Ok so I did a completely fresh installation and now I get more frames recorded but it still turns off. I dont get it someone help pleeeaaaseee  :-[

Redrocks

Have you benchmarked your card and read up about optimizing your camera for raw?

Disease

Quote from: Redrocks on August 04, 2013, 11:01:52 AM
Have you benchmarked your card and read up about optimizing your camera for raw?

Hey thanks for replying!
I only just realized there was a disk benchmark in ML and I tested yesterday it seemed to max our at around 60-70mb/s so I think I have been sold a dud card that is no 150mb/s..

What do you mean by optimizing my camera for raw please?

Redrocks

You would have to check the 50D threads for specific info about camera and card speed, but the advertised 150 MBs is theoretical and dependent on the device it is used in. I don't think the 50D is anywhere near capable of that, so benchmark your card with your computer via USB 3 if you can.

There are certain camera settings that make the raw module more stable such as disabling raw photos and adjusting the display in the Canon menu. Also in the raw module of ML (on the builds I use) there is a 'small hacks' setting and 'card warm up'. There are probably more I have forgotten, but it's really a case of you trying them out for yourself and seeing what works for you.

Disease

Quote from: Redrocks on August 04, 2013, 04:56:43 PM
You would have to check the 50D threads for specific info about camera and card speed, but the advertised 150 MBs is theoretical and dependent on the device it is used in. I don't think the 50D is anywhere near capable of that, so benchmark your card with your computer via USB 3 if you can.

There are certain camera settings that make the raw module more stable such as disabling raw photos and adjusting the display in the Canon menu. Also in the raw module of ML (on the builds I use) there is a 'small hacks' setting and 'card warm up'. There are probably more I have forgotten, but it's really a case of you trying them out for yourself and seeing what works for you.

Where are these module settings are they in the ML firmware or do I have to edit the files on the CF Card?

I do not have access to USB 3 on a computer at the moment. But I thought I had seen people post screen shots from their 50D card benchmark and it showed around 100mb/s. What sort of write speed should I expect? I have already ordered a new card and opened a case on ebay to return the current one..  :-\

Disease

Ok so it looks like I have a dud card:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5510.0

I thought so. The absolute maximum I have seen my card achieve is 70mb/s for a brief second.
Its definitely not up to scratch... So now I have to return it to USA :-(

I will test when  my new card arrives and then I will know for sure if it was the card.

Redrocks

What mode did you do your benchmarks in?

"EOSHD
My Komputer Bay Benchmarks
« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2013, 07:01:50 PM »

Your 128GB results are invalid as you ran the benchmark in playback mode. Run it in movie mode with live view enabled to get an accurate impression of how it will perform during raw recording. You will find it is slow - around 70MB/s, pretty much all the 128GB KomputerBay cards are. The 64GB cards are fastest."

I'm just guessing here, but you said yourself that you are overwhelmed by the amount of options and I know I was at first, so I'd advise you hold off on returning until you are sure you haven't overlooked something. What resolution / ratio are you recording at? You need to go through the ML settings and switch off everything that you are unsure of and trawl through the site for the relevant info.

a1ex

Actually, with recent optimizations, recording speeds are closer to playback mode benchmark numbers now. LiveView benchmark will show slower speeds, because raw_rec disables some Canon stuff while recording, but benchmark does not.

Redrocks

I must admit my knowledge of benchmark is limited to a couple of runs. I still think Disease should poke around in the settings, although this is the second report I've seen today about dud Komputerbay cards from Ebay.

Disease

Quote from: Redrocks on August 04, 2013, 09:23:13 PM
What mode did you do your benchmarks in?

"EOSHD
My Komputer Bay Benchmarks
« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2013, 07:01:50 PM »

Your 128GB results are invalid as you ran the benchmark in playback mode. Run it in movie mode with live view enabled to get an accurate impression of how it will perform during raw recording. You will find it is slow - around 70MB/s, pretty much all the 128GB KomputerBay cards are. The 64GB cards are fastest."

I'm just guessing here, but you said yourself that you are overwhelmed by the amount of options and I know I was at first, so I'd advise you hold off on returning until you are sure you haven't overlooked something. What resolution / ratio are you recording at? You need to go through the ML settings and switch off everything that you are unsure of and trawl through the site for the relevant info.

NOOOO!!!
I just got another card delivered and its the same results if not slightly better.
What do you mean play back mode?
I didnt press the play symbol underneath the live view screen before I ran the benchmark?

This is really frustrating me now. I have to send back the first card even though it seems it might not have been faulty in the end.
I have seen benchmarks for the 32gb cards go high.

What else could it be? I have deactivated everything I can in the ML settings. I turned off RAW photos in the Canon menu.

I am getting about 650 frames until the buffer maxes out. Surely there is more I can try? I bought this second card directly from amazon so I doubt its faulty.

WHat other settings do I need to tweak?

Disease

On the 50D are we limited to 70mb/s? This is making sense now.
So I turned the FPS down to 25 FPS and it works! :-)
When it is on 30fps it tells me I need 70mb/s write speeds and I guess this is the max for the buss so it cannot do this continually!
Now I have to decide which card to return the one from the states or the one I just got today from Amazon.

It still seems a bit low on both the cards I wish someone would confirm with me this is the reason for my issues.

Redrocks

I think the 50D tops out at 70MB/s. You have to remember that all the posts you see on here telling you what speed someone got is based on their precise settings. Things like fps, resolution, ratio, global draw and optimizations have massive effects on record time. I'd keep both cards as you will need them anyway, but do your own tests to compare each one and post the results.

Disease

Yeah I don't know what else I could have tried I turned everything off in the settings.
FPS seemed the only way to make this work!