Canon 650D / T4i

Started by nanomad, August 03, 2013, 07:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glassescreditsroll

Yeah the in camera canon meters only the left meter is correct the right is always on high peak and sent move at all, the force stop was not done by me the screen showed this little white rectangle on the right side of the screen and then the camera said the recording had been stopped I was not using mlv rec it was just regular video

glassescreditsroll

Ok meters work perfect While/while not recording no more chipmunk audio. Meters still work after playback but once i turn my camera off and on meters go crazy until I check canon meters then they go back to true.

mk11174

Quote from: glassescreditsroll on January 29, 2014, 08:51:41 PM
Ok meters work perfect While/while not recording no more chipmunk audio. Meters still work after playback but once i turn my camera off and on meters go crazy until I check canon meters then they go back to true.
hmm, ok, interesting, let me see if I can get another version to try.

Is there a differ in this version compared to debug5?
https://bitbucket.org/mk11174/t5i/downloads/ML_650D_Fulltime_Meters_Jan_29_2014.zip
500D/T1i  550D/T2i  600D/T3i  700D/T5i

glassescreditsroll

Yeah it's the same problem also I don't know if anyones said this but this and the last test both meters are not only too high but when you go from external to internal/ internal to external the meters only show what you last used I dont know if that makes sence but let's say I'm using a zoom h1 plugged in the meters show about 20-24 then I unplug and am now using the on camera audio but my gain is set way low I shouldn't still be seeing 20-24 but I am.

mk11174

Ok, not sure why the meters show high yet.

What about this version? https://bitbucket.org/mk11174/t5i/downloads/ML_650D_DEBUG6.zip

So hard to know for sure when I can't replicate it on my 700d, wish I could so I could see what makes it do what it does for your 650d, but you would think, it works in record mode just fine, so it should work in none record mode as well. Seems like we are almost there though.

glassescreditsroll

Ok same problem i don't know if this worked before but now if I record before checking canon meters the meters go back to true while and after recording but on start up the meters are still high

mk11174

Quote from: glassescreditsroll on January 29, 2014, 10:08:06 PM
Ok same problem i don't know if this worked before but now if I record before checking canon meters the meters go back to true while and after recording but on start up the meters are still high
so does this debug6 work same as the Jan29 fulltime meters? That is really the one to compare to as far as fulltime meters work? Is it all working normal in debug6 besides the issue when restarting? Is it exact same as fulltime meters jan29?

Im going to PM you since you seem to be the key tester, I dont want to fill up the thread with tests and make moderators angry.

mk11174

Ok, after trial and error debugging with Glassescreditsroll, I came up with a good temp solution for fulltime meters that works exactly the same on the 650d and 700d https://bitbucket.org/mk11174/t5i/downloads/ML_650D_Meters_Jan_30_2014.zip

It enables Photomode remote shoot without going into Audio Menu and meters work fulltime in Movie Mode.

If you notice the meters are not the same levels when you first start cam compared to how they are when you record a movie, don't worry, it means you are using Manual Gain Control in Canon Audio Menu. This temp solution just gets meters going and it does it in Auto Gain Control mode, so this is why your levels will look differ at first, but good news is, you can either set Canon Gain control to Auto and levels will be same no matter what, whether you record or don't record, or restart cam.

Or if you are one to use Manual Control of Canon Gain, than just simply record a 1 second clip and when you stop that recording, that will kick the levels into Manual mode to match Canons setting, or simply just goto the Canon levels menu 1 time and that will also do it.

But once you restart camera, you will have to go back to Canons Audio menu or just record a 1sec clip again.

But if you Have Canon Gain Control set to Auto, then you wont have to do any steps at all, they will just work fine.

So nothing is wrong with the levels if they are differ at first start compared to when you record, it is just ML does not know how to control the gain yet, so I have it simply turn meters on in Auto Gain mode. I can set it to Manual, but it would be useless, since the Audio Chip is not programmed yet, so the changes you make in Canon Menu wont reflect the ML levels, I can only hardcode a value in ML code and it will not be same as Canon level, so it is just pointless till the Audio chip is fully coded and configured to work with ML.

For now, I just basically turned the meters on and they reset when they need to so they will work correctly.

This new way does not mess with wind filter so there wont be any issues with the filters being buggy.

Felipe

650D-700D

nanomad

If you submit a patch that enables meter only with AGC on I'll happily merge it to get the ball rolling
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

Felipe

Can you show meters while recording on manual and show meters full time with automatic, because meters full time on manual in a stressful situation
can lead to mistakes.
650D-700D

mk11174

Quote from: Felipe on January 30, 2014, 08:57:57 PM
Can you show meters while recording on manual and show meters full time with automatic, because meters full time on manual in a stressful situation
can lead to mistakes.
Meters are fine to show in both cases, and other testers have said they are stable on both 650d and 700d  :)

Felipe

Quote from: mk11174 on January 30, 2014, 09:46:11 PM
Meters are fine to show in both cases, and other testers have said they are stable on both 650d and 700d  :)
No, on Manual before to hit record shows different levels that when you hit record, as you explained, shows automatic levels on manual, because ML is not capable yet to control manual gain
Unless we go Canon menu or record a 1 second video and then engages the right levels or Canon menu levels.
That is why will be nice if on manual shows meters only while recording just to remember going to Canon menu to verify.
On automatic is perfect congratulations and thank you.
650D-700D

mk11174

Quote from: Felipe on January 30, 2014, 10:05:55 PM
No, on Manual before to hit record shows different levels that when you hit record, as you explained, shows automatic levels on manual, because ML is not capable yet to control manual gain
Unless we go Canon menu or record a 1 second video and then engages the right levels or Canon menu levels.
That is why will be nice if on manual shows meters only while recording just to remember going to Canon menu to verify.
On automatic is perfect congratulations and thank you.
Ah, I see what you mean, but no, since I dont have any way myself of telling ML what state the Audiochip is in, I can't tell the meters to go on only while it is set to Auto and only go on in Record while in Manual. As far as I know anyway. I can only force the chip to do something, I don't know how to get the data from Canon state and let ML know that data to use it, why we need a programmer to do that crazy cool hard stuff.

For now, its easy enough just to press record once, or since most of the time, if your in manual anyway, your most likely going to double check your meters before you do a movie, so once you go check them in Canon Menu, it will set meters correct. I know you want them off to remind you to check, but I always by habit go check anyway just to be on safe side, but I know not everyone would do that.

It is the best we can get for now though.

I can turn meters off though and have them only go on while recording, but they would have to be turned off to where they wont ever come on unless you are recording, they will never be on when not recording except in Canon Menu, pretty much how they were. I like seeing them before I record though, but that is me.

Really we have to just wait till chip is coded to get full use of it, but for now, this is all we can get from it, sorry.

It was cool to use SetDevVolumeIn to manually control the AGC and Input with ML, but those settings only hold true till you press record because then Canons settings take effect, and that is exactly why we just have to wait to get proper control.

Felipe

Yes in fact is matter of getting used to going to Canon menu when in manual. Is great to be able to check levels, Thank you.
The sound shutter is very interesting and works perfect. 8) ;D
650D-700D

mk11174

Quote from: Felipe on January 30, 2014, 11:51:50 PM
Yes in fact is matter of getting used to going to Canon menu when in manual. Is great to be able to check levels, Thank you.
The sound shutter is very interesting and works perfect. 8) ;D
One day hopefully we will have full use of the audio chip from ML, one day, LOL!!  :)

And yeah, nice to have Audio Remote Shot, makes us feel like we have some kind of audio control at least, lol!

glassescreditsroll

What I did was set my menu button to open up the my menu tab where I have the audio settings saved there so I just quickly press the menu button click sound recording and press half shutter and the meters are showing true it takes me like half second to do now and it's second nature in no time.

mk11174

Quote from: glassescreditsroll on January 31, 2014, 03:08:47 AM
What I did was set my menu button to open up the my menu tab where I have the audio settings saved there so I just quickly press the menu button click sound recording and press half shutter and the meters are showing true it takes me like half second to do now and it's second nature in no time.
Nice!!!! I think I will copy that,  ;)

I just wish I was smart enough to for now code in a fake rec command to where it does record state but doesnt record, just preps the cam for it at load time, this would get meters going right off the bat, or maybe code in auto to open and close canon sound menu quickly. No idea if possible, but I don't know enough to know what the commands would be. Yeah, it may be a waste because eventually the chip will be setup to work with ML, but for now, it is always fun to find quick fixes to get us by.  :)

ric

The time indicator not showing while recording

Great to hav audio level showing now.. :D

fotap

Thank you very much best developers use the best camera 650d with magic lantern, very satisfied.

cinecine

You are really cool. Very good. But I have a question, sorry for the bad english, rsrrsrsrrs .... I installed magic lantern. More audio controllers not appears. I installed the version of the beginning of this topic, I recommend is installing updates "nightly builds", or something to correct this?

mk11174

Quote from: cinecine on February 03, 2014, 01:02:08 AM
You are really cool. Very good. But I have a question, sorry for the bad english, rsrrsrsrrs .... I installed magic lantern. More audio controllers not appears. I installed the version of the beginning of this topic, I recommend is installing updates "nightly builds", or something to correct this?
If you would like the audio meter version then you would need this build for now. https://bitbucket.org/mk11174/t5i/downloads/ML_650D_Meters_Jan_30_2014.zip

venture

Quote from: a1ex on January 14, 2014, 07:05:50 AM
The current implementation requires a button for it (something that is not used normally in playback mode, and generates events).

It's possible to refactor the code so it will work without requiring a button, just triggered after taking a picture. If anyone feels brave, I recommend defining something like MLEV_TRIGGER_ZEBRAS_FOR_PLAYBACK in gui-common.h and using that event code in trigger_zebras_for_qr. Then, modify handle_livev_playback so it triggers the overlay from both event codes.

Something else I observed: After starting ML with default settings, only two options ever appear under Global Draw: "OFF" and "LiveView". If I select either option, I lose the overlays outside of LiveView / Video and there is no way to turn them back on without restoring ML defaults. Would this be related?
650D/T4i | EF-S 18-135 IS STM | EF 50 f/1.8 mk1 | 55-250

davegravy

Hi all,

Getting started with Magic Lantern on my 650d, and loving it!

I'm using the magiclantern-v2.3.NEXT.2013Aug03.650D104.zip version from the OP so far for RAW video with good results but wondering about the latest nightlies. Is there a summary of what's changed/improved somewhere?

Right now the PDR tool works well for me, but I understand it's broken for the latest nightlies... I assume in exchange for some other advantages? Which ML version is generally recommended for someone who's primarily concerned with RAW video quality and features relating to RAW video (e.g. I have no need for audio or stills)?

Thanks!

Dave

anewcomb

Hi Dave, I asked the same question a while back and received no real solid answer. So I went ahead and downloaded the latest build and 1280x720 is 99% red dot free with PDR tool 7 or 8. 1472x626 however is loaded with dots. There is a cool tool a1ex made called " raw2dng-cs2x2...hdlike_noise.exe" which cleans up the 1472x626 pretty much. Just Google that tool name and you should find the threads with download links. Also, I have found that adobe camera raw (ACR) used with most adobe software like After Effects helps with properly displaying the tool converted DNG files. I'm not sure why but that's what I'm having to use after PDR is applied. Yes...it is a mind bender and a bummer at times but just imagine what the devs go through...upmost respect for those guys!