Canon 650D / T4i

Started by nanomad, August 03, 2013, 07:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

benlen

Quote from: dsagilles on September 08, 2013, 06:43:16 PM
I've wrote a tutorial about processing RAW files with After Effects and Camera RAW, you can find it here :
http://www.gna-productions.com/tutos/how-to-process-magic-lantern-raw-videos

I've also done some comparisons between RAW and H264 with different picture styles this week, if you're interested here is the video :

Dsagilles, you are my HERO!

I've been gone from the forum a couple weeks (wow, topic went from 15 pages to 23!) and I haven't got a chance to mess around with Magic Lantern.

You beat me to the test I wanted to do. Amazing that, even when the footage is expanded (and the Canon firmware footage scaled down) and then compressed for Youtube, the RAW video is the clear winner. Incredible. I really need to install this.

Okay guys, this is going to sound like a really dumb question, and some smart person will probably refer me to another topic I theoretically could have searched for, but I'll ask anway...

What is this "dual ISO" everyone keeps talking about? It sounds like it isn't working right now in this build, but people seem to think it is necesssary to RAW video.

I've read of how Magic Lantern allows Canon users to shoot an an ISO of 160, which some folks say is the "native" ISO of the camera or something like that. Is that what "Dual ISO" is?

Thanks guys again.

kazeone

Quote from: benlen on September 09, 2013, 03:27:23 AM

Dsagilles, you are my HERO!

I've been gone from the forum a couple weeks (wow, topic went from 15 pages to 23!) and I haven't got a chance to mess around with Magic Lantern.

You beat me to the test I wanted to do. Amazing that, even when the footage is expanded (and the Canon firmware footage scaled down) and then compressed for Youtube, the RAW video is the clear winner. Incredible. I really need to install this.

Okay guys, this is going to sound like a really dumb question, and some smart person will probably refer me to another topic I theoretically could have searched for, but I'll ask anway...

What is this "dual ISO" everyone keeps talking about? It sounds like it isn't working right now in this build, but people seem to think it is necesssary to RAW video.

I've read of how Magic Lantern allows Canon users to shoot an an ISO of 160, which some folks say is the "native" ISO of the camera or something like that. Is that what "Dual ISO" is?

Thanks guys again.

it lets you shoot a single picture with two ISO settings so you get a better dynamic range, think HDR but this way works with even fast moving objects but you then have to process the image afterwards so that it looks normal and yes take a look at this thread ;)
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7139.0

Granulated

Just installed.. No problems encountered so far apart from some annoyances with how certain messages overlay the GUI

Keep up the good work and massive thanks to all developers and testers.

:)

Alex N

Tongotongo

Hola, dual iso se dejo usar una sola ves y perfecto , se apago la cámara se prendio y no deja de salir el  error . Probe de varias formas y no hay caso. Es terrible como se ven las fotos con dual iso ,Saludos y mil gracias.

Hello, dual iso was allowed to use a single look and perfect, turned the camera is caught and does not leave out the error. Probe in various ways and there is no case. It's terrible as the photos are dual iso, Greetings and many thanks.

ML_N_09.09.2013
Canon 650d Tamron 17-50 mm 2.8 canon 50 mm fijo 1.8 magic lantern

ERBUSI

Just installed, ML_N_09,  in Photo modus (Manual) ISOless PH err(2):
Thank you for your efforts ...

imak

Someone mentioned earlier  that  you should start in P mode and then switch to manual.  Try that. 

Tongotongo

Quote from: imak on September 10, 2013, 01:22:59 AM
Someone mentioned earlier  that  you should start in P mode and then switch to manual.  Try that.

Cierto , anda perfecto. Muchas gracias.

True, works perfectly. Thank you very much.

RafaLibrenz

My 650D is with a strange symptom for a couple of weeks: When I turn on the camera, sometimes the display does not turn on. Everything works (flash, autofocus, shutter, photo, etc.), but the display just does not turn on. But after about 30 seconds (this may vary), the display turns on and no longer fails.

It also happens without card in SD slot (In other words: without Magic Lantern). I've reinstalled the official firmware, I already removed the magic lantern (turned off the bootflag), and the problem continues.

That does NOT seem to be a hardware failure, it seems to be something abnormal in boot.

Is anyone else having this problem?
70D + 18-135 STM

nanomad

If it happens without ML it may be an issue with the display sensor. Try to clean it properly
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

davidtlong

Quote from: RafaLibrenz on September 10, 2013, 10:30:49 AM
My 650D is with a strange symptom for a couple of weeks: When I turn on the camera, sometimes the display does not turn on. Everything works (flash, autofocus, shutter, photo, etc.), but the display just does not turn on. But after about 30 seconds (this may vary), the display turns on and no longer fails.

It also happens without card in SD slot (In other words: without Magic Lantern). I've reinstalled the official firmware, I already removed the magic lantern (turned off the bootflag), and the problem continues.

That does NOT seem to be a hardware failure, it seems to be something abnormal in boot.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Yup I have that problem.  Two things that I noticed that explains it sometimes: 1) I have the eye piece extender and sometimes it moves up on its track and partially blocks the sensor. 2) when it is really dark.  But that does not explain all the occurrences and why I do not get the play back image after taking a shoot sometimes.  I know this is off topic here but thought I would say you are not alone :).

dave

EstChris

What I've noticed is that sometimes when you're trying to film and press record button, the screen goes greenish/pinkish and lags/flickers terribly. When playing back recorded clip the same thing occurs (corrupted clip). However when you restart the camera, you can film normally, but the clip is still corrupted. It's not very bothering, but still an issue...

minlite13

Quote from: nanomad on September 10, 2013, 01:34:03 PM
If it happens without ML it may be an issue with the display sensor. Try to clean it properly
Yeah, Im sure too that must be the display sensor.. Nothing else can cause the fail.
Canon 650D 1.0.4 / EF-S 18-55 IS II + EF 50 f/1.8

lucawen

650D + 18-55mm ( KIT ) + 70-300mm Sigma + 70-200 Canon IS II

h18r

Quote from: lucawen on September 11, 2013, 04:05:45 AM
HDR vs ISO... who wins?

They are totally different. HDR for not moving subjects and gives you a wider range as ISO is best for moving subjects.

kazeone

Quote from: h18r on September 11, 2013, 05:04:36 AM
They are totally different. HDR for not moving subjects and gives you a wider range as ISO is best for moving subjects.

and we have a version of HDR for fast moving subjects... Dual ISO ^_^

h18r

Quote from: kazeone on September 11, 2013, 05:58:24 AM
and we have a version of HDR for fast moving subjects... Dual ISO ^_^

He meant ISO as DUAL ISO :)

davidtlong

Quote from: h18r on September 11, 2013, 02:10:38 PM
He meant ISO as DUAL ISO :)

Would not dual iso also win because it makes integrating externally recorded sound possible?  I use PowerDirector a lot and found a very nice way of integrating sound.  Will play with raw and dual iso this weekend. 

dave

benlen

Quote from: EstChris on September 10, 2013, 03:57:50 PM
What I've noticed is that sometimes when you're trying to film and press record button, the screen goes greenish/pinkish and lags/flickers terribly. When playing back recorded clip the same thing occurs (corrupted clip). However when you restart the camera, you can film normally, but the clip is still corrupted. It's not very bothering, but still an issue...

Hmm, let's hope this issue and the other display issues can be resolved soon!

Alquimia16

Quote from: Tongotongo on September 09, 2013, 10:23:35 PM
Hola, dual iso se dejo usar una sola ves y perfecto , se apago la cámara se prendio y no deja de salir el  error . Probe de varias formas y no hay caso. Es terrible como se ven las fotos con dual iso ,Saludos y mil gracias.

Hello, dual iso was allowed to use a single look and perfect, turned the camera is caught and does not leave out the error. Probe in various ways and there is no case. It's terrible as the photos are dual iso, Greetings and many thanks.

ML_N_09.09.2013

Enciende la camara en P y pasas a M eso reduce el error. No es que las imagenes se vean mal solo que si no has leido el foro de dual iso, necesito hacerles un proceso para refinarlas. Justo ocmo RAW video o imagenes en HDR.
Tomate el tiempo de entender que es Dual ISO
Saludos

Look man put the camera on "P" then turn it to "M" that will reduce probablility of error. Also its not that pictures look "terrible" they arein fact AMAZING. The problem (just taking a wild guess) is you didnt read anything about dual iso and dont know that they need a post processing just like raw videos, and hrd stills. Dual iso cr files NEED post processing to "merge" the 2 different iso files taken.
Hope it helps

Tongotongo

Quote from: Alquimia16 on September 11, 2013, 07:40:56 PM
Enciende la camara en P y pasas a M eso reduce el error. No es que las imagenes se vean mal solo que si no has leido el foro de dual iso, necesito hacerles un proceso para refinarlas. Justo ocmo RAW video o imagenes en HDR.
Tomate el tiempo de entender que es Dual ISO
Saludos

Look man put the camera on "P" then turn it to "M" that will reduce probablility of error. Also its not that pictures look "terrible" they arein fact AMAZING. The problem (just taking a wild guess) is you didnt read anything about dual iso and dont know that they need a post processing just like raw videos, and hrd stills. Dual iso cr files NEED post processing to "merge" the 2 different iso files taken.
Hope it helps

Gracias, pero lo de terrible es igual buenísimo jajajajaj. Pero realmente para mi anda mejor con luz que sin ella, da mucho artefactos. Saludos.

Thanks, but what is equally terrific terrible hahaha. But really for me it works better with light without it, gives much artifacts. Greetings.

_DK_

Hi guys

I just stumbled upon something "weird". Whenever I use a HDMI monitor. If focus peaking is activated it gets me nothing but weird pink colored sections.
Is this a known error? Or is it just me again?   ???

Besides that the framing of RAW video is totally off with a monitor. (But I guess this is a known error)
EOS 650D, 17-50 2.8, Nifty Fifty, Tamron 70-300mm
Sorry if my English is a little bad as I am not a native speaker

kzi2006

Quote from: lucawen on September 11, 2013, 04:05:45 AM
HDR vs ISO... who wins?

Every day on this topic only hdr, raw, dual iso etc.... bla-bla-bla. I never see the any useful real video with this features from that guys

WHEN audio meter comes to 650D?!!!! looks like NEVER((((( its a terrible disappointment for me (((
EOS 6D, 3xEOS 650D, Canon 24-105, Canon 10-22, Sigma 50-150 2.8 APO HSM, Sigma 17-50mm 2.8, Canon 50 1.4, Samyang 14mm 2.8
https://vimeo.com/kzi/

iphmrs

If you see the error message of "ISOless PH err", please start with P mode and then move to M mode.
550D, 650D, 18-135 stm, 18-250 hsm

Yeti183

The trick with starting in P-Mode is not working with me, unfortunately.

Dual Iso worked flowless for 1 day. Than suddenly the ISOless error occured.
T90,EOS 650D