Canon 650D / T4i

Started by nanomad, August 03, 2013, 07:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spider

Quote from: davidtlong on August 26, 2013, 06:40:12 PM
I probably need more practice, but I wonder about the 1280 x 720 size.  When I bring the dng into PS6 it comes in as 0.9 mp / 300 ppi and wonder if that is what the difference is. 
Which difference?
1280*720=0,9216mp

dsagilles

Quote from: davidtlong on August 25, 2013, 08:27:07 PM
Very nice,

Can I ask how long it took you to work through the process from extracting to remove dots etc, to final film?

Thanks

dave
Sure, and you're lucky : I've timed most of the process !

Precisely, I've shot 11min12sec of RAW at 1476x626 (16 251 frames@24fps), for about 25GB on the memory card.

- The raw2cinema DNG (using RAW Magic on osx) took me 12min21sec (I ran the process directly from the rushes on the memory card and sets the output on the hardrive). Output 28GB of DNG (not 25 due to the 14bits > 16bits conforming I guess).
- PinkDotRemover tooks 34min44 (And gives me another 28GB of dots-free DNG). I used search expression (which I don't remember sorry) to selects all DNG without initial underscore (_) and delete them in order to keep only the dots free DNG.
- Finally, After Effects exports all rushes in uncompressed 8bit color-graded videos within 2h10 (Output : 39.7GB, always in 1476x626).

So globally, processing a RAW file from .RAW to 8bit video takes 15min for 1 minutes of shooting.

I haven't timed the final editing process (done with Premiere pro), but it was fast as all rushes were already processed in uncompressed 8 bits videos.
Canon 650d |  Sigma 18-200 II DC OS HSM | Auto-Chinon 50mm f/1.9 | Minolta 35-70mm
DSLR Videos, photos and tutorials on http://www.gna-productions.com

davidtlong

Quote from: spider on August 26, 2013, 07:47:51 PM
Which difference?
1280*720=0,9216mp

sorry not complete I was thinking compared to 1080P :)

davidtlong

Quote from: dsagilles on August 26, 2013, 09:10:57 PM

Precisely, I've shot 11min12sec of RAW at 1476x626 (16 251 frames@24fps), for about 25GB on the memory card.

- The raw2cinema DNG (using RAW Magic on osx) took me 12min21sec (I ran the process directly from the rushes on the memory card and sets the output on the hardrive). Output 28GB of DNG (not 25 due to the 14bits > 16bits conforming I guess).
- PinkDotRemover tooks 34min44 (And gives me another 28GB of dots-free DNG). I used search expression (which I don't remember sorry) to selects all DNG without initial underscore (_) and delete them in order to keep only the dots free DNG.
- Finally, After Effects exports all rushes in uncompressed 8bit color-graded videos within 2h10 (Output : 39.7GB, always in 1476x626).

So globally, processing a RAW file from .RAW to 8bit video takes 15min for 1 minutes of shooting.

I haven't timed the final editing process (done with Premiere pro), but it was fast as all rushes were already processed in uncompressed 8 bits videos.

dsagilles,

Thank you so much.  This is really interesting both in terms of time and file sizes and about what I have been thinking.  I only have been doing something like 20 sec clips so far at 720P.  Lots of experimentation yet.  I have some ideas about integration audio back in from an independent recording.

dave

davidtlong

Got my cam.   Interesting, I do not have the aspect ratio you used nor do I have 1476.  I have 1472x828 at 16:9 but on my 45 45b/s card, I can not get continuous frames using this.  Also 20 sec gets my about 1 gig file size so not clear of diff with your file size.  Any other setting you did?  Sorry if these observations are too rookie like.  I am just really starting to learn about the video aspect of our camera.

dave

spider

- The raw2cinema DNG ...
- PinkDotRemover ...
I would first use the PinkDotRemover because there are not so many file operations which makes it faster.

dngrhm

Quote from: davidtlong on August 26, 2013, 10:32:45 PM
Got my cam.   Interesting, I do not have the aspect ratio you used nor do I have 1476.  I have 1472x828 at 16:9 but on my 45 45b/s card, I can not get continuous frames using this.  Also 20 sec gets my about 1 gig file size so not clear of diff with your file size.  Any other setting you did?  Sorry if these observations are too rookie like.  I am just really starting to learn about the video aspect of our camera.

dave
The 14xx resolution was 1:2.35 not 16:9. 1472x838 is likely too high for continuous recording
EOS 650D + 620 | Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 STM + 55-250mm f/4-5.6 | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8
Mac OS 10.9 | PinkDotRemoval Tool | RAWMagic | DaVinci Resolve | FCP X

divxclub

Guys trying to install ML and I followed everything as stated. On installation step I go to flash firmware and it's saying file cannot be found. I do have 64GB SanDisk Ultra card. Also If I can't use 64GB card what is procedure to install ML then swap card to my 64GB or it's impossible and I have to stick with <32GB card ?

Thank you !

UPDATE. I managed to find old 8gb SD and ML installed without a problem, I even managed to update to August 26 N Build. Now my 100$ question is this. Can I use my high-end 64GB card wtih ML or I am stuck here ?

Thanks guys !

UPDATE 2.
After all this I started to think how can I go around, All I had to do copy all files on my 64GB card and use utility to make it ML bootable manually. Now I got my 64GB card and ML. And I feel stupit for asking question to begin with without thinking for about 10 seconds.

Семь раз отмерь один раз отреж, а у меня получилось наоборот.

Thank you guys !

divxclub

Latest build. In EOS Utility I can't select Camera settings/Remote shooting. I was trying to load Tecknocolor picture profile. Anyway to load profile without this utility ?

jaegersing

Quote from: divxclub on August 27, 2013, 02:31:43 AM
Latest build. In EOS Utility I can't select Camera settings/Remote shooting. I was trying to load Tecknocolor picture profile. Anyway to load profile without this utility ?

Try setting the cam to Manual mode before you switch it on.

Richard

dsagilles

Quote from: spider on August 26, 2013, 11:20:56 PM
I would first use the PinkDotRemover because there are not so many file operations which makes it faster.
PinkDotRemover (v0.7) only convert .DNG files, not directly .RAW .
Quote from: dngrhm on August 27, 2013, 01:01:01 AM
The 14xx resolution was 1:2.35 not 16:9. 1472x838 is likely too high for continuous recording
Exactly !

Even if ML doesn't always say "Continuous OK", it looks like it is.

Also it's possible to shoot something like less than 10sec at 16xx 2.35, which might be handy for some very short shots.
Canon 650d |  Sigma 18-200 II DC OS HSM | Auto-Chinon 50mm f/1.9 | Minolta 35-70mm

Rewind

PinkDotRemover (v0.7) only convert .DNG files, not directly .RAW .

Use the debug release. It can process raw files directly:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6658.msg62437#msg62437

davidtlong

Quote from: dngrhm on August 27, 2013, 01:01:01 AM

gotcha

papkee

I'm back from vacation everyone!

I'm planning on compiling a whole mess of tests, benchmarks, and other various checks for the latest ML release. However, I'm currently waiting on a new charger for my T4i. My stock charger was stolen from me while on vacation, and I just used up the last of my remaining juice today.

I'm planning on doing:
-RAW resoultion tests w/ SanDisk Extreme 95Mb/s'
-RAW Pinkdotremover Tests
-Card Reader Benchmarks (using my entire card collection)
-RAW quality tests (sharpness, color, etc)
-A full short shot at the highest continuous resolution.

If you've got any additional requests just let me know and I'll add them in.
EOS 650D, a bunch of random lenses & adapters

davidtlong

Quote from: papkee on August 27, 2013, 05:53:41 PM
I'm back from vacation everyone!

I'm planning on compiling a whole mess of tests, benchmarks, and other various checks for the latest ML release. However, I'm currently waiting on a new charger for my T4i. My stock charger was stolen from me while on vacation, and I just used up the last of my remaining juice today.

I'm planning on doing:
-RAW resoultion tests w/ SanDisk Extreme 95Mb/s'
-RAW Pinkdotremover Tests
-Card Reader Benchmarks (using my entire card collection)
-RAW quality tests (sharpness, color, etc)
-A full short shot at the highest continuous resolution.

If you've got any additional requests just let me know and I'll add them in.

Wow this sounds truly great.  You vacation like me :).  So just got an 8 gig 80 mb/s card for grins.   Does not seem to make any diff versus my 45.  My thinking is that here it has been said that above 45 does not make a difference because our cam can not go that high.  Seems to be true but if you have different results I am realllly interested.  Looking forward to your great work.

dave

papkee

Quote from: davidtlong on August 27, 2013, 11:54:22 PM
Wow this sounds truly great.  You vacation like me :).  So just got an 8 gig 80 mb/s card for grins.   Does not seem to make any diff versus my 45.  My thinking is that here it has been said that above 45 does not make a difference because our cam can not go that high.  Seems to be true but if you have different results I am realllly interested.  Looking forward to your great work.

dave

I feel like using higher bitrate cards gives you more "headroom" I suppose. To me, it just feels a little safer having twice as much bitrate available, just in case. That way, any bottlenecks are for sure the camera and not the card.
EOS 650D, a bunch of random lenses & adapters

kazeone

okay I know this may not be the right place for it but it could be a bug not sure, when I attempt to turn on lock mirror and use only the view finder to take photos, I still hear the mirror move like a normal shot, is this not working or am I doing something wrong with the settings?

Edit: nevermind it only says in orange lettering that this feature does not work... my bad ^^;;

dsagilles

davidtlong

Quote from: papkee on August 28, 2013, 04:59:32 AM
I feel like using higher bitrate cards gives you more "headroom" I suppose. To me, it just feels a little safer having twice as much bitrate available, just in case. That way, any bottlenecks are for sure the camera and not the card.

sounds reasonable

update:  PS done with your analyses yet :)?

ilucris

Quote from: NikeFreak on August 03, 2013, 08:41:11 PM
все работает, жаль настроек звука нет. спасибо еще раз!
everything works, sorry no sound settings. Thank you again!

I keep reading that there is an issue with the sound.
Does this mean that
1. there are no sound settings (as in no access to them or not working!?)
2. there are no extra (ML) sound settings just the canon firmware default settings?
3. there is no sound working (you can't record video with sound) ?

blade

eos400D :: eos650D  :: Sigma 18-200 :: Canon 100mm macro

JKB2013

is there still any chance in the future to get rid of the pink dots in camera?
or do we have to live with it and try to optimize the PinkDotRemover tool?

nanomad

There's always hope. For now there's the PDR tool which works pretty well
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

Tongotongo

Quote from: JKB2013 on August 29, 2013, 03:39:46 PM
is there still any chance in the future to get rid of the pink dots in camera?
or do we have to live with it and try to optimize the PinkDotRemover tool?

Hola, funciona perfecto sin puntos  verde ni rosa, pero lamentablemente solo uno de los updates  y link https://www.dropbox.com/s/tu8tgpbady8oyqp/ML.rar , raw modo excelente . El ISO bien ajustado excelente imagen 0 puntos . Saludos ,Gerardo.

Traductor

Hello, works perfect without green dots or pink, but unfortunately only one of the updates and link https://www.dropbox.com/s/tu8tgpbady8oyqp/ML.rar, raw excellently. The excellent tight ISO image 0 points. Regards, Gerardo.

Canon 650d Tamron 17-50 mm 2.8 canon 50 mm fijo 1.8 magic lantern

brewerrj

Again about the sound settings (the ML one) is there any development in that subject on the 650D?
I really would like some VU meters on the live view or at least audio out monitoring through the usb interface of the camera.
Is this possible for the 650D?