Canon 650D / T4i

Started by nanomad, August 03, 2013, 07:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spider

Since the new installer you don't need Eos Card.

minlite13

Quote from: jbassoc on August 24, 2013, 08:38:22 PM
here's whats on it
DCIM
magiclantern-v2.3.NEXT.2013Aug03.650D104
650D.104.installer.fir
autoexec.bin
autoexec.bin.cpgz
INSTALL.pdf
ML
UserGuide.pdf
magiclantern-v2.3.NEXT.2013Aug03.650D104.zip
MISC

Just to be sure, check your firmware version.. Are you already on 1.0.4? If you are not, you should update to 1.0.4 first.
Canon 650D 1.0.4 / EF-S 18-55 IS II + EF 50 f/1.8

doex

Thank you for all your work here. :-)

jbassoc

Well I missed being able to use ML on yesterdays shoot. Have another 3hr video shoot today and still can't get ML on my T4i. See my previous Post. To answer some suggestions from the forum.
I am on 1.0.4. It was installed during a factory repair.
I tried unzipping the download 3 ways.

1. Unzipped the download on the desktop and then copied the contents to the SD card. This worked for my T3i. But not my T4i.get msg 'Memory card containing firmware is required to update'

2. I copied the download directly to the SD card and unzipped it on the card. Put it in the camera. Same msg.'Memory card containing firmware is required to update'

3. I then deleted the original download zip from the SD card. Still get msg 'Memory card containing firmware is required to update'

nanomad

EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

jbassoc

San Disk 16GB SDHC 1 class 10 45MB/s

jbassoc

Quote from: jbassoc on August 25, 2013, 04:17:51 PM
San Disk 16GB SDHC 1 class 10 45MB/s
contents
▶DCIM
▼magiclantern-v2.3.NEXT.2013Aug03.650D104
650D.104.installer.fir
autoexec.bin
autoexec.bin.cpgz
INSTALL.pdf
ML
UserGuide.pdf
MISC

nanomad

Wrong folder structure.

650D.104.installer.fir
autoexec.bin
autoexec.bin.cpgz
INSTALL.pdf
ML
UserGuide.pdf
MISC

should be in the root of the card not inside the magiclantern-XXXX folder
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

benlen

I've been thinking...to do a longer RAW video shoot on the 650D, in addition to having more ML installed CF cards, what about having some sort of portable hard drive that you could transfer footage onto in the field?

Way, way back I used to have an iPod 5G 60GB I used with my Rebel XT to transfer RAW photos onto when I was traveling in Europe. It was way easier than carrying multiple cards (could hold music too!) and the iPod is pretty damn reliable in terms of not losing stuff.

That roughly 14 minutes of RAW footage on a 32GB card is killer, haha...as with video I like to do multiple shoots of the same angle at varying exposures/f stops to make sure I get a good shot.

What do you guys think? I'd love to shoot my thesis project for school with RAW video next spring, so I'm trying to think of easy ways to get around RAW's huge file sizes in the field.

jbassoc

Quote from: nanomad on August 25, 2013, 04:34:19 PM
Wrong folder structure.

650D.104.installer.fir
autoexec.bin
autoexec.bin.cpgz
INSTALL.pdf
ML
UserGuide.pdf
MISC

should be in the root of the card not inside the magiclantern-XXXX folder

THANK YOU, THANK YOU. Works now.
Maybe we could some how clarify the install instructions to emphasize only installing the files and folders inside the unzipped magiclantern-XXXX folder, not the whole folder.

minlite13

Nanomad, what's the procedure I should follow to get the silent_pic_get_name function to be defined?
I decided to do some raw test using the don't click me option (which is what you guys use for debugging I think).

static void run_raw_test()
{
    /* Run RAW test to determine the best RAW_TYPE on 650D */
    for (int type = 0; type < 100; type++)
    {
        /* from lv_af_raw -> lv_set_raw_type(arg0 ? 4 : 7) -> MEM(0x2D168) = a bunch of values, default 34 */
        /* RAW value address for 650D is 0x350B4 */
        MEM(0x350B4) = type;

/* this enables a LiveView debug flag that gives us 14-bit RAW data. Cool! */
        raw_lv_request();
        msleep(50);

/* after filling one frame, disable the flag so we can dump the data without tearing */
        raw_lv_release();
        msleep(50);

/* update raw geometry, autodetect black/white levels etc */
        raw_update_params();

/* save it to card */
        char* fn = silent_pic_get_name();
        bmp_printf(FONT_MED, 0, 60, "Saving raw type %d", type);
        save_dng(fn);
    }
}

I got the code from a post by a1ex.

This is what I did until now:
1. In the src/debug.c I wrote my custom function which does the test (captures dngs and saves to sd using the silent_pic_get_name function).
2. I changed the function that the Don't Click Me option calls to the custom function I wrote.
3. In the features.h file in the 650D, I defined two options: #define FEATURE_SILENT_PIC and #define FEATURE_SILENT_PIC_RAW which is what I think causes the function to be defined....

But until now, all I get is this when compiling:

debug.o: In function `run_raw_test':
debug.c:(.text+0xb90): undefined reference to `silent_pic_get_name'
state-object.o: In function `stateobj_lv_spy':
state-object.c:(.text+0x150): undefined reference to `silent_pic_preview'
state-object.c:(.text+0x1d0): undefined reference to `silent_pic_raw_vsync'

Got any ideas?

newsense

Quote from: minlite13 on August 25, 2013, 06:47:30 PM
Nanomad, what's the procedure I should follow to get the silent_pic_get_name function to be defined?
I decided to do some raw test using the don't click me option (which is what you guys use for debugging I think).

static void run_raw_test()
{
    /* Run RAW test to determine the best RAW_TYPE on 650D */
    for (int type = 0; type < 100; type++)
    {
        /* from lv_af_raw -> lv_set_raw_type(arg0 ? 4 : 7) -> MEM(0x2D168) = a bunch of values, default 34 */
        /* RAW value address for 650D is 0x350B4 */
        MEM(0x350B4) = type;

/* this enables a LiveView debug flag that gives us 14-bit RAW data. Cool! */
        raw_lv_request();
        msleep(50);

/* after filling one frame, disable the flag so we can dump the data without tearing */
        raw_lv_release();
        msleep(50);

/* update raw geometry, autodetect black/white levels etc */
        raw_update_params();

/* save it to card */
        char* fn = silent_pic_get_name();
        bmp_printf(FONT_MED, 0, 60, "Saving raw type %d", type);
        save_dng(fn);
    }
}

I got the code from a post by a1ex.

This is what I did until now:
1. In the src/debug.c I wrote my custom function which does the test (captures dngs and saves to sd using the silent_pic_get_name function).
2. I changed the function that the Don't Click Me option calls to the custom function I wrote.
3. In the features.h file in the 650D, I defined two options: #define FEATURE_SILENT_PIC and #define FEATURE_SILENT_PIC_RAW which is what I think causes the function to be defined....

But until now, all I get is this when compiling:

debug.o: In function `run_raw_test':
debug.c:(.text+0xb90): undefined reference to `silent_pic_get_name'
state-object.o: In function `stateobj_lv_spy':
state-object.c:(.text+0x150): undefined reference to `silent_pic_preview'
state-object.c:(.text+0x1d0): undefined reference to `silent_pic_raw_vsync'

Got any ideas?

Not r a coder myself but wouldn't the # before define make it a comment and be ignored?

minlite13

Quote from: newsense on August 25, 2013, 07:05:19 PM
Not r a coder myself but wouldn't the # before define make it a comment and be ignored?

No. Not in C.  For example we do #include, which includes a file. # indicates a comment in bash scripts usually.

http://www.cprogramming.com/reference/preprocessor/define.html

newsense

Quote from: minlite13 on August 25, 2013, 07:15:14 PM
No. Not in C.  For example we do #include, which includes a file. # indicates a comment in bash scripts usually.

http://www.cprogramming.com/reference/preprocessor/define.html

Thanks for clarifying that and sorry should have googled it first before posting. I have no C experience as you can tell, just a little bash and perl scripting.

davidtlong

Quote from: dngrhm on August 23, 2013, 08:17:15 PM
This would be better answered in a post processing workflow thread.  It has the advantage that all ML RAW video users will be able to give answers.  In the post processing of RAW video, it has more to do with your platform (Win/Lin/Mac) and tools.  You might want to start with the below thread and check out the other threads in Post Processing Workflow section.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5404.275

Thank you I will do that.  Just looking for help.  We also have the pink dot problem to deal with.

Just to mention, I can reassemble in PS6 and QuickTime. 

dave

davidtlong

Quote from: dsagilles on August 23, 2013, 05:50:37 PM
Here is a video shot in RAW 1476x626 with ML alpha from last july (not the latest build so, I'll test the RAW from earlier versions soon).

All infos are in the video description.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZweCHSgV6k

Find out my new website : http://www.gna-productions.com with my videos, photos and tutorials.

Very nice,

Can I ask how long it took you to work through the process from extracting to remove dots etc, to final film?

Thanks

dave

blade

I have started an other tread about this subject here:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7788.new#new

However as the 650 and 700D have a HDR function on the dial I wonder if this specific function could be included?

Is it possible to turn the dial to HDR and then overwrite the canon settings and enable M mode and activate advanced bracketing? And turning the dial back to e.g. M would deactivate advanced bracketing again. 
eos400D :: eos650D  :: Sigma 18-200 :: Canon 100mm macro

OpenMind

Quote from: jbassoc on August 25, 2013, 06:19:42 PMMaybe we could some how clarify the install instructions to emphasize only installing the files and folders inside the unzipped magiclantern-XXXX folder, not the whole folder.
That depends on the software you are using to unzip, not on the zip package.

Often the unzip process starts with an option to select a place where you want to unzip the contents. Default this could be set to the location of the zip file + name of the zip file as an extra folder.
Canon: 5Dc, 650D. EF 24-105mm f/4L IS, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, 1.4x II, 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS, 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye, 40mm f2.8 STM, 50mm f/1.8 II, EF-S18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, Speedlite 600EX-RT, Macro Ring Lite MR-14EX, Sigma: 12-24mm f4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM

33black

I posted this alongside something else and I think everyone missed it...

Just checking, STILL no audio with FPS override?

divxclub

Hi guys ! I made a post about not having my baby in the list and it looks like you're hard at work to make it happen. Can anyone explain about current state of the T4i ML and when we can expect stable release. I do understand that it takes time and stuff like that but with your previous experience how long it'll take to get at list to Beta because Alpha release really does not seat okay with me. Also few questions if possible. In real life what features work and what does not. Like I am not talking about sine crazy features, let's say full auto picture will it work ? How about full auto Video , again nothing special all stock settings. All I am trying to ask if let;s say I use only stock features will I have a problem because I am etching to try it. Can I go back and forward with stock and ML on the fly or I have to re flash all the time.

Youy guys rock, Thank you !

Walter Schulz

Quote from: divxclub on August 26, 2013, 08:50:14 AMCan anyone explain about current state of the T4i ML

If you are able to explain which part of "Status: Alpha" you're unable to understand we will try to help you.

Quote from: divxclub on August 26, 2013, 08:50:14 AMand when we can expect stable release.

a) The alpha version is quite stable
and
b) the question about dates is considered to be a Troll Question:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/faq.html#q45 (last one)

Quote from: divxclub on August 26, 2013, 08:50:14 AMIn real life what features work and what does not.

Covered in this thread. Begin reading first post.

Quote from: divxclub on August 26, 2013, 08:50:14 AMCan I go back and forward with stock and ML on the fly or I have to re flash all the time.

See answer above. The current version has autoboot enabled. If the card is prepared for ML it will start after boot. If not it won't. Stock (= Canon's firmware and interface) is always there and available because ML sits on top of Canon's software and doesn't replace it.

Ciao
Walter

kazeone

Quote from: blade on August 25, 2013, 09:57:58 PM
I have started an other tread about this subject here:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7788.new#new

However as the 650 and 700D have a HDR function on the dial I wonder if this specific function could be included?

Is it possible to turn the dial to HDR and then overwrite the canon settings and enable M mode and activate advanced bracketing? And turning the dial back to e.g. M would deactivate advanced bracketing again.

to bad this got shot down :(

blade

eos400D :: eos650D  :: Sigma 18-200 :: Canon 100mm macro

davidtlong

Hi all,

Messing with raw this weekend.  One thing that really attracted me to raw was some of the videos that showed the increases in sharpness (as well as other edits like white balance.  My attempts so far do not have the extra sharpness.  I probably need more practice, but I wonder about the 1280 x 720 size.  When I bring the dng into PS6 it comes in as 0.9 mp / 300 ppi and wonder if that is what the difference is. 

dave

kazeone

Quote from: blade on August 26, 2013, 10:02:18 AM
I think it's still very alive...

well the guy over in that thread seems pretty negative about it...