Canon 650D / T4i

Started by nanomad, August 03, 2013, 07:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidtlong

Quote from: Tongotongo on August 21, 2013, 02:26:30 AM
Te molesto , me podes decir si con la ultima versión ML_N_20.08.2013 se te fueron los puntos rosa?. En mi caso solo una anduvo bien y fue una mescla de ellas. Solo para saber si no estoy loco. En cuanto al lo amarrilo o verde es tal cual te dijo Stevenbaril. Saludos.

so I can not play yet as my card might not allow the videos.  Need a faster card, but back at you when I have one :).

dave

benlen

Actually, papkee said that a 45 mb/s card SHOULD be able to record video at 1472x616, which is pretty good all things considered.

From my limited understanding, and I very well could be wrong, I thought that using a 90 mb/s card on the 650D is overkill because the 650D's SD slot can only go so far.

Again, and this is what I've gathered, and I could be wrong again, but it seems like the 650D will most likely never be able to record full 1080p with RAW.

COMMANDES

Quote from: benlen on August 21, 2013, 03:26:24 AM
Again, and this is what I've gathered, and I could be wrong again, but it seems like the 650D will most likely never be able to record full 1080p with RAW.
А зачем нам 1080p ?  :)
Многие всё равно обрезают поля до киношного 2.35. Так что мне бы хватило 1920*818.
Хотя всё-таки жаль что заблокированы другие разрешения для RAW, они бы пригодились для таймлапсов.
Google:
Why do we need 1080p?
Many still cut the field to the cine 2.35. So to me be had enough resolution 1920 * 818. Although still a pity that blocked other sizes for RAW, I would have them handy for timelapse.
Canon 650D, EOSM 2.02, M50 1.1.0

2iggy

Hello everyone...I just instaled ML on my t4i (Was so simple by the way,instalation and latest build replacement)...this is my first ML ever,so i need to read User manual hahah but for now it works great...tomorow i will test it :D Much thanks for developers.you people are doing amazing job...keep up with good work!

Holla from Serbia

benlen

Quote from: COMMANDES on August 21, 2013, 04:05:14 AM
А зачем нам 1080p ?  :)
Многие всё равно обрезают поля до киношного 2.35. Так что мне бы хватило 1920*818.
Хотя всё-таки жаль что заблокированы другие разрешения для RAW, они бы пригодились для таймлапсов.
Google:
Why do we need 1080p?
Many still cut the field to the cine 2.35. So to me be had enough resolution 1920 * 818. Although still a pity that blocked other sizes for RAW, I would have them handy for timelapse.

I agree with the first part, though I don't even know if we can get 1600 with the 650D continuously at 24fps. Or can we?

Tongotongo

Quote from: benlen on August 21, 2013, 04:37:16 AM
I agree with the first part, though I don't even know if we can get 1600 with the 650D continuously at 24fps. Or can we?

Perdon por escribir en castellano pero el traductor me cambia el sentido de las oraciones.

Si que podes grabar a 1600 pero x 600 no mas, a partir de ahí es en trozos.
Canon 650d Tamron 17-50 mm 2.8 canon 50 mm fijo 1.8 magic lantern

elmatambre

Hello i read this Forum every week And i work in my camera the ML work very well. But now i have a problem in this week, I could not use the magic lantern on a card that I had stored there. is an extreme pro 16gb san disk in write speed 45MB (says on the card). Now in the 1.0.1 firmware version could use but since the software update of the camera, I could not use it again since that card. I have another Transcend 16 GB Class 10 that still works on camera with ML. Can this be so? Am I right or possibly make a mistake. I have two nights after returning from work trying to fix so I ask here in the forum..
Canon 650D Tamron 17-270mm 3.5/6.3 sigma 30 1.4

Walter Schulz

Follow the instructions on page 1 of this thread. Don't forget to download satriani's most recent build and copy it to your card.

spider

TheUnkn0wn is working on a special RAW2DNG for 650D/700D which generates files without dots.
Because the green dots are not made in the camera, they are made in raw2dng.

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6658.150

satriani

Nice solution, but sadly we treat symptoms and not the cause :-/
Cameras: Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 650D
Lenses: 2x CanonEF-S 18-135 IS STM, Sigma 50mm f1.4 DG HSM Art
Daily builds

dngrhm

Quote from: elmatambre on August 21, 2013, 05:09:39 AM
Hello i read this Forum every week And i work in my camera the ML work very well. But now i have a problem in this week, I could not use the magic lantern on a card that I had stored there. is an extreme pro 16gb san disk in write speed 45MB (says on the card). Now in the 1.0.1 firmware version could use but since the software update of the camera, I could not use it again since that card. I have another Transcend 16 GB Class 10 that still works on camera with ML. Can this be so? Am I right or possibly make a mistake. I have two nights after returning from work trying to fix so I ask here in the forum..
Be sure to delete the previous ML install (ML directory & autoexec) off the card before putting the new one on.  Make sure your 16GB 64MB/s card works in something else as well.
EOS 650D + 620 | Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 STM + 55-250mm f/4-5.6 | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8
Mac OS 10.9 | PinkDotRemoval Tool | RAWMagic | DaVinci Resolve | FCP X

davidtlong

Quote from: benlen on August 21, 2013, 03:26:24 AM
Actually, papkee said that a 45 mb/s card SHOULD be able to record video at 1472x616, which is pretty good all things considered.

From my limited understanding, and I very well could be wrong, I thought that using a 90 mb/s card on the 650D is overkill because the 650D's SD slot can only go so far.

thanks so my 30ish card probably needs to be replaced.  I did read somewhere the make write speed for the t4i but can not remember where I say this.

update sorry make = maximum

davidtlong

Quote from: spider on August 21, 2013, 12:55:43 AM
Sandisk extreme 45mb/s

If I could be a bit nosey, what resolution do you use and how long a clip can you get.  I want to order a new card to day to get it tomorrow and not sure if I should do this or the over kill 90 mb/s.

Thanks in advance,

dave

update I see that I can also get a 60 mb/s also

spider

Quote from: davidtlong on August 21, 2013, 06:21:23 PM
If I could be a bit nosey, what resolution do you use and how long a clip can you get.
720p24 continuously.

davidtlong

Quote from: spider on August 21, 2013, 06:57:00 PM
720p24 continuously.

Perfect thanks a lot :) guess the 90 and 95 is over kill right ?

benlen

Spider, are you saying you're getting 1280x720 on a 45 mb/s card with ML? If so, that is fantastic news! I'm hoping soon during my vacation that I can install Magic Lantern on the T4i/fiddle with it, and do a video test I've been requesting from other people (hahaha).

If the t4i/650D can record continuously at 1280x720, as opposed to 1472x616, that would help greatly in my quest.

I'm hoping to film a comparison between:

The Canon H.264 firmware on the 650D at 1080p
ML at the highest resolution that it can support continuously.

And in this test, do a couple different comparisons:

The 1080p Canon footage vs the ML footage at 720p

The 1080p Canon footage vs expanded ML footage to close to 1080p dimensions.

And that way determine whether the RAW video on the 650D is worth the additional time spent on the workflow.

_DK_

Quote from: benlen on August 21, 2013, 07:07:52 PM
Spider, are you saying you're getting 1280x720 on a 45 mb/s card with ML? If so, that is fantastic news! I'm hoping soon during my vacation that I can install Magic Lantern on the T4i/fiddle with it, and do a video test I've been requesting from other people (hahaha).

I'm not spider, but I ca confirm that you get continuous 1280x720 on a decent 45 mb/s card. I use Sandisk Extreme cards.
EOS 650D, 17-50 2.8, Nifty Fifty, Tamron 70-300mm
Sorry if my English is a little bad as I am not a native speaker

davidtlong

Quote from: benlen on August 21, 2013, 07:07:52 PM

If the t4i/650D can record continuously at 1280x720, as opposed to 1472x616, that would help greatly in my quest.

I'm hoping to film a comparison between:

The Canon H.264 firmware on the 650D at 1080p
ML at the highest resolution that it can support continuously.

And in this test, do a couple different comparisons:

The 1080p Canon footage vs the ML footage at 720p

The 1080p Canon footage vs expanded ML footage to close to 1080p dimensions.

And that way determine whether the RAW video on the 650D is worth the additional time spent on the workflow.

Benlen,

Great plan!  I am going to play this weekend.  Just ordered the 45 mb/s card Sanddisk Extreme. 

What do you mean expanded ML footage to close to 1080p?  In addition to the extra workflow there is the data issue.  Even short clips take a lot of space to process.  So I would assume filming long clips say minutes would be daunting.  But will find out :)

I am going to use Quicktime Pro to recompile and play with PS6 and LR5 for post processing.  Hopefully the new RAW2DNG will be available soon
d

benlen

Quote from: _DK_ on August 21, 2013, 07:28:15 PM
I'm not spider, but I ca confirm that you get continuous 1280x720 on a decent 45 mb/s card. I use Sandisk Extreme cards.

Really? Fantastic, I have a Sandisk Extreme 45 mb/s card!

Quote from: davidtlong on August 21, 2013, 08:18:06 PM
Benlen,

Great plan!  I am going to play this weekend.  Just ordered the 45 mb/s card Sanddisk Extreme. 

What do you mean expanded ML footage to close to 1080p?  In addition to the extra workflow there is the data issue.  Even short clips take a lot of space to process.  So I would assume filming long clips say minutes would be daunting.  But will find out :)

What I mean david is this: Shooting a 1920x1080p clip with the Canon firmware, then shooting with ML Raw at 720p and in post (After Effects/Premiere) expanding the 720p RAW footage to 1080, or at the very least, slightly larger than 1280x720.

The reasoning is this: there have been many claims from some guys on Youtube shooting with the 650D who are shooting RAW at 720 or less than 720, blowing their footage up in post to 1080, and claiming that because the RAW footage contains so much more data, that even blown up it looks better than the Canon firmware 1080p.

I'm not completely convinced of this until I try it with my own workflow and compare.

I am, of course, intrigued by the possibility! I'm a video student with a limited budget, and at this time can't afford to either upgrade to the Panasonic GH3 or the Canon 5D Mark III (two cameras I really want to get my hands on!)

So I'm looking for any way to increase the sharpness and professionalism of the footage coming out of the 650D.

davidtlong

Quote from: benlen on August 21, 2013, 09:52:57 PM

Really? Fantastic, I have a Sandisk Extreme 45 mb/s card!

What I mean david is this: Shooting a 1920x1080p clip with the Canon firmware, then shooting with ML Raw at 720p and in post (After Effects/Premiere) expanding the 720p RAW footage to 1080, or at the very least, slightly larger than 1280x720.

The reasoning is this: there have been many claims from some guys on Youtube shooting with the 650D who are shooting RAW at 720 or less than 720, blowing their footage up in post to 1080, and claiming that because the RAW footage contains so much more data, that even blown up it looks better than the Canon firmware 1080p.

I'm not completely convinced of this until I try it with my own workflow and compare.

I am, of course, intrigued by the possibility! I'm a video student with a limited budget, and at this time can't afford to either upgrade to the Panasonic GH3 or the Canon 5D Mark III (two cameras I really want to get my hands on!)

So I'm looking for any way to increase the sharpness and professionalism of the footage coming out of the 650D.

will interesting to see what you find.  Don'e have After Effects/Premiere myself to play with.

benlen

It doesn't require After Effects to do, just a NLE (Premiere, Final Cut, Avid, Vegas, etc) that you can expand/shrink your footage with. I just find it easier to get most stuff done in AE.

davidtlong

DK and Spider or anyone <-- update

A silly question.  How do you set the resolution to 720p.  That is not a choice in the raw resolution setting.  What am I missing?

dave

davidtlong

Quote from: benlen on August 21, 2013, 10:28:56 PM
It doesn't require After Effects to do, just a NLE (Premiere, Final Cut, Avid, Vegas, etc) that you can expand/shrink your footage with. I just find it easier to get most stuff done in AE.

Thanks!

Ftlz

QuoteA silly question.  How do you set the resolution to 720p.  That is not a choice in the raw resolution setting.  What am I missing?

When you execute the raw video recording script from the scripts tab a raw option is automatically added in video tab. you can change width and aspect ratio (it changes height).

Walter Schulz

Quote from: davidtlong on August 21, 2013, 10:37:19 PM
A silly question.  How do you set the resolution to 720p.  That is not a choice in the raw resolution setting.  What am I missing?

Resolution: 1280
Aspect ratio: 16:9
-> (1280/16) * 9 = 720

Vertical pixel number is determined via Aspect Ratio and horizontal pixel number.

Ciao
Walter