Canon 650D / T4i

Started by nanomad, August 03, 2013, 07:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mdfaisal

Quote from: Gorilla on August 08, 2013, 09:10:59 AM
I know this doesn't answer any of your question, but if I can just give my opinion, I don't think the T4i is worth an upgrade over a T2i. I own a T4i and have used a T2i, and they're so similar that I think you would be much better off saving up some more and making a more substantial upgrade, like to a 6D. I know it's quite a jump in price, but if you're really itching to replace your T2i, I'd do that over getting another Rebel (and probably over getting any other crop-sensor Canon right now).

But t4i and 6d have the same card read/write speed.  So you can use sandisk extreme or extreme pro.  If you use your camera for video,  upgrading from t2i to t4i is a big thing.  Because you can use RAW VIDEO which is very amazing.

Both t4i and 6d have the same resolution raw video,  which is hd video.  Cmiiw.

dsagilles

I've upgraded to ML today's build (August 8 and Canon firmware 1.0.4).

But Pico scripts doesn't work (when I hit "run script", the camera switch back to the shooting screen, and says "script running, press set to hide/show".
And if I press set, nothing happens (regarding to the script).

Any ideas why ? Does someone managed to run a PicoC script on a 650d 1.0.4 ? I've also tried yesterday build and multiple script (which worked before I upgrade to 1.0.4).
And if i come back to the script menu, I can't stop the script and need to remove the camera battery.

Thanks.
Canon 650d |  Sigma 18-200 II DC OS HSM | Auto-Chinon 50mm f/1.9 | Minolta 35-70mm
DSLR Videos, photos and tutorials on http://www.gna-productions.com

delorossa

Quote from: Walter Schulz on August 07, 2013, 03:10:04 PM
ML *is* supporting cards bigger than 32 GB. There is just one installation step (initialising the camera) which won't work. Therefore you need a card < 64 GB once to pass this limitation. After initialising the camera you can run ML from your 128 GB card.

ML is not replacing the firmware. It is more like a program on your computer loaded at startup. Therefore: No card with ML software on it -> ML is not running.

Google (or any other search engine) is your friend.

The most recent ML version requires FW 1.0.4.

Ciao
Walter

Hi Walter thx for the fast Questions,i dont understand!?

u say

"Therefore you need a card < 64 GB once to pass this limitation. After initialising the camera you can run ML from your 128 GB card."

and then u say

"Therefore: No card with ML software on it -> ML is not running."

- and how i unstill ML,Clearly?
- Can i use then 8 or 16gb Card to install only ML and after that i can use my 128GB Card and ML is working???Start ML from the Canon after Installed ML,or start it from THE SD CARD?

My English is not well,maybee here is a German guy who can help me.

regards

dngrhm

Quote from: delorossa on August 08, 2013, 04:14:55 PM

Hi Walter thx for the fast Questions,i dont understand!?

u say

"Therefore you need a card < 64 GB once to pass this limitation. After initialising the camera you can run ML from your 128 GB card."

and then u say

"Therefore: No card with ML software on it -> ML is not running."

- and how i unstill ML,Clearly?
- Can i use then 8 or 16gb Card to install only ML and after that i can use my 128GB Card and ML is working???

regards
You need to use your 8GB or 16GB card for the initial "install" of ML.  The smaller cards are required for running the firmware update to set the camera bootflag (THIS IS NOT THE FIRMWARE UPDATE TO 1.0.4).  From the instructions in the OP
"8. Start camera in M photo mode and run firmware update. THis will run the ML setup and make your card bootable too."
This is the update using 650D.104.installer.fir
After this initial update of the firmware to set the bootflag on the camera, you do NOT need to do a firmware update again.  You can install ML on the 128GB and set the bootflag on the card using EOSCard or MacBoot.  Put in the 128GB and ML will be loaded.  Any card without ML on it and the bootflag (on the card) not set will not run ML.

To say it another way, there are 2 bootflags.  One on the card and one on the camera.  You only need to set the bootflag on the camera once and the SD card used to do that must be 32GB or smaller.  After that is set, you must set the bootflag on each card you use.  Put ML on larger cards and set the bootflag on the card using EOSCard or MacBoot.  Your camera will run ML when that card is installed

If you set the bootflag on the card, you MUST have ML on the card or the camera won't appear to work. 
EOS 650D + 620 | Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 STM + 55-250mm f/4-5.6 | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8
Mac OS 10.9 | PinkDotRemoval Tool | RAWMagic | DaVinci Resolve | FCP X

OpenMind

Quote from: dngrhm on August 08, 2013, 04:37:09 PMUPDATE TO 1.0.4

Hello dngrhm,

I see you have the EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 STM lens.
Did you already try to film something with this lens in ML Movie Crop mode?
I experience short pauses in the recording when using this lens in crop mode during moving or panning.
Would you be so kind to test a few seconds with this lens while moving the camera fast? (like in sweeping / shaking / fast panning)

Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFKlpw7m5xk
Canon: 5Dc, 650D. EF 24-105mm f/4L IS, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, 1.4x II, 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS, 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye, 40mm f2.8 STM, 50mm f/1.8 II, EF-S18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, Speedlite 600EX-RT, Macro Ring Lite MR-14EX, Sigma: 12-24mm f4.5-5.6 EX DG HSM

dngrhm

Quote from: OpenMind on August 08, 2013, 06:27:44 PM
Hello dngrhm,

I see you have the EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 STM lens.
Did you already try to film something with this lens in ML Movie Crop mode?
I experience short pauses in the recording when using this lens in crop mode during moving or panning.
Would you be so kind to test a few seconds with this lens while moving the camera fast? (like in sweeping / shaking / fast panning)

Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFKlpw7m5xk
I am still running on 1.0.1  I will try this when I get a chance to update to 1.0.4 and build the 650D.104 ML
EOS 650D + 620 | Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 STM + 55-250mm f/4-5.6 | Canon EF 50mm f/1.8
Mac OS 10.9 | PinkDotRemoval Tool | RAWMagic | DaVinci Resolve | FCP X

spider

Quote from: delorossa on August 08, 2013, 04:14:55 PM

Du musst beim 1. mal eine kleine Karte benutzen, da beim 1. mal in der Firmware der Bootflag geändert werden muss.

Danach lädt die Kamera von jeder bootfähigen Karte Magic Lantern.
Die Karte, auch die 128GB Karte, kannst du mit eoscard bootfähig machen.

Walter Schulz

Noch ein bisschen ausfuehrlicher:
Nach dem Initialisieren der Kamera (Bootflag setzen, einmalig), kannst Du jede beliebige Karte verwenden. Wenn Du mit ML arbeiten willst, muss diese Karte 2 Bedingungen erfuellen: Sie muss - wie oben erwaehnt - bootfaehig sein und dazu muessen die ML-Dateien drauf sein. EOScard macht das in einem Aufwasch. Dann holst Du Dir jeweils von satrianis Dropbox die neuesten Versionen und kopierst die entpackten Dateien auf *alle* Karten, von denen Du ML laufen lassen willst.
Verwendest Du mehrere Karten? Dann kannst Du einen Abgleich der Einstellungen erreichen, indem Du diese einmalig in ML einrichtest und dann die MAGIC.CFG auf die anderen Karten kopierst. Geht leider nicht ueber die Kamera, das geschieht am besten am PC mit Kartenleser.

satrianis Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hxsv61cq992egmy/BtTgp4q6i0

Ciao
Walter

Kauf

Quote from: Kauf on August 08, 2013, 06:21:49 AM
Can someone explain the MZ issues-- the tearing versus in sync discussion started back in this post: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=3697.msg45799#msg45799.

Does anyone have images or video that they can post to show what MZ behavior looks like on the 650d-- the flickering/tearing? Does the in sync/locked UI look the same as regular MZ, just with all other controls locked while zoomed? I'm trying to judge whether the 650d will be a viable upgrade for me when ML goes beta. Yes, you can call me conservative... but my friends call me chicken :) Thanks to all you pioneers for kicking the tires. And especially thank you nanomad for all your hard work!

I appreciate the upgrade feedback, but before the original question gets buried, can anyone post what the Magic Zoom issue looks like or describe it and its ramifications in detail. I haven't been able to get a feel for how usable it is from previous posts. Thanks.

blade

I am back grom my holiday, Greath to see the 1.04 progress. I  will be following This forum from next Monday again. I used ml on my travels. And I hope to share some pics ASAP.

eos400D :: eos650D  :: Sigma 18-200 :: Canon 100mm macro

jaegersing

Quote from: Kauf on August 08, 2013, 07:59:38 PM
I appreciate the upgrade feedback, but before the original question gets buried, can anyone post what the Magic Zoom issue looks like or describe it and its ramifications in detail. I haven't been able to get a feel for how usable it is from previous posts. Thanks.

I have been using ML on a 550D for a while, and I just installed it on a 650D yesterday. The MZ on the 650D has a bit of flicker and line tearing, which was a bit disturbing at first. In practice, it doesn't make much difference and you can still do manual focusing quite easily. I don't have any video to show you, sorry.

BTW, I bought the 650D with 18 - 135 STM lens, hoping that I would be able to do autofocus in video mode. The reality is that the autofocusing is not very stable so I wouldn't risk using it for anything important. With hindsight, I wish I had used the money to buy a decent flash for the 550D.

Richard

delorossa

Is there an Option to change Language to German?

satriani

English only.
Oder einfach mal ein Wörterbuch mitschleppen :D
Cameras: Canon EOS 70D, Canon EOS 650D
Lenses: 2x CanonEF-S 18-135 IS STM, Sigma 50mm f1.4 DG HSM Art
Daily builds

roterrion

I'm satisfied from nanomad's 1.04 build. Pretty stable, even though i got an "early stop" error from raw video, I believe, it tells me to report. so here it is. I did some bitrate hacks, max at 2.5x CBR hit 110mbps many times. I also record a timelapse test done with fps override on my way home yesterday and today as well. but i haven't uploaded today's timelapse, so here is yesterday's test. big thanks to nanomad.  ;D

EOS 650D, Sigma 18-250mm f3.5-6.3 HSM, Canon 40mm f2.8 STM, 50mm II f1.8, Transcend 16GB Class 10, Transcend 32GB UHS-I 300x
http://youtube.com/roterrion
http://vimeo.com/roterrion

Tongotongo

Hola ,hago una consulta, es normal que cuando hago zoom (grabando en raw) suave varíe el brillo con parpadeos , tengo solo un objetivo zoom tamron 17 50 2.8 los demás son fijos y no tengo ese problema.

Hello, I make a query, it is normal that when I zoom (shooting in RAW) vary the brightness with soft flickering, I have only a zoom lens tamron 17 50 2.8 the others are fixed and I have that problem.
Canon 650d Tamron 17-50 mm 2.8 canon 50 mm fijo 1.8 magic lantern

davidbolman

Hi every one, i´ve been reading to many threads and im very confused right now about installing magic lantern on my canon t4i,and i just bought a juiced link pream to conect my Rode Shotgun mics, and hypercardoid directly to my camera and it woks pretty well like recording audio separately.  but i read that audio doesnt work with magic lantern right?, so if is there a solution for this, because this preamp works great.

Then i have another question i bougt a PNY 64 gb 35 mbs sd card, and i read like you need more write speed on your card or something, and that is more difficult to install magic lantern on 64gb cards.   I need some help, my head feels like is going to explode and my brain is so hot i feel like is melting.

HELP PLEASE!! :-\

dsagilles

Quote from: davidbolman on August 10, 2013, 03:21:05 AM
  Hi every one, i´ve been reading to many threads and im very confused right now about installing magic lantern on my canon t4i,and i just bought a juiced link pream to conect my Rode Shotgun mics, and hypercardoid directly to my camera and it woks pretty well like recording audio separately.  but i read that audio doesnt work with magic lantern right?, so if is there a solution for this, because this preamp works great.

Then i have another question i bougt a PNY 64 gb 35 mbs sd card, and i read like you need more write speed on your card or something, and that is more difficult to install magic lantern on 64gb cards.   I need some help, my head feels like is going to explode and my brain is so hot i feel like is melting.

1) Magic Lantern additional audio function doesn't work (like audio meter), but Canon audio functions still works fine : when you install Magic Lantern, It only adds functions, nothing is replaced in the Canon firmware. So all you can do without ML can be done with ML.

2) It appears you can't install ML with a 64gig card. Precisely, you can't use a 64gig card to set the bootdisk flag of the camera.
So, follow the instructions and install ML with a 32gig card or less (=set the bootdisk flag in the camera).
Once the bootdisk flag is setted in the camera, you can install ML on other cards, including 64gig one's by copy/paste your ML files on your 64gig card and enable the bootdisk and EOS_develop flag of the card manualy with EOS Card (on windows).

650d/T4i has maximum write/read speed around 40mb/sec . Generaly ML User wants the maximum speed for shoot RAW video.
Canon 650d |  Sigma 18-200 II DC OS HSM | Auto-Chinon 50mm f/1.9 | Minolta 35-70mm

donjames150

Quote from: davidbolman on August 10, 2013, 03:21:05 AM

David, all your questions are covered in this thread and the obsoleted Canon 650D thread. In Nanomad's first post in this thread he says there are problems with audio
"What's currently not working: All ML features that have to do with audio"
as to write speed, if you want to shoot raw, get at least the 45 mb/s card, 35 is too slow.

and yes you need a smaller than 64G card to install
Nanomad: "Yes, the installer (or any canon update for that matter) won't work on cards bigger than 32 GB"
EOS 760D + 55-250mm + Tokina 11-16mm

spider

Quote from: spider on August 05, 2013, 08:30:21 PM
The first 9 seconds while RAW recording the frame dont show up. I am using the 04.08 Satriani Build.
Does it still happen on newer builds?

NikeFreak

does not work Image review
    QuickReview default: just like in standard firmware.
    CanonMnu:Hold→PLAY: if you set Image Review: Hold in Canon menu, it will go to PLAY mode instead. This allows you to zoom in as soon as you take the picture (without having to press PLAY). Credits goto Ken Rockwell for suggesting this.
6D ML + Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 + Canon 70-200mm F2.8L IS II + Canon 50mm F1.8 STM + Zenitar 16mm F2.8 + Canon SpeedLite 430EX II
650D ML + Canon 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 STM + Helios 44-2 58mm F2.0
500D ML + Canon 55-250mm F4-5.6 IS II + Canon 18-55 mm F3.5-5.6 IS

dsagilles

Does anyone can confirm me that PicoC scripts doesn't work on ML 650d for 1.0.4 ? (Doesn't work for me)

ClearlyRobert

I can't find bulb ramping on the Shoot, or any other, menu. 
Directions?
Is this part of 1.0.4 for the 650D?

Jockerl

Quote from: ClearlyRobert on August 10, 2013, 07:15:35 PM
I can't find bulb ramping on the Shoot, or any other, menu. 
Directions?
Is this part of 1.0.4 for the 650D?
For timelapse use ETTR + PostDeflicker --> http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5705.0
Did it on the 650D a few days ago and it worked very well.

mkay

I have just tried raw video on the 650d but the images have some noticable errors on multiple places - is anybody experiencing the same issue?

details:
650D on 1.0.4
EF-S 18-135 IS STM
ML for 650D 1.0.4 (3.8.2013 1st alpha build)

Raw Video:
1280 x 720 @ 25FPS
1/100 f5.6 ISO 100
converted to DNG via RAWnizer 0.6.0
Imported as a sequence in AE

Here's a video example of some other guy, if you watch in fullscreen you can see the pink dots on dark surfaces: (He used: Canon EOS 650D + 50mm f/1.8 II)

More videos which show up this issue on the 650d:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9whq5NmKJ8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Cwz_WGEGHk

ClearlyRobert

Quote from: Jockerl on August 10, 2013, 07:20:36 PM
For timelapse use ETTR + PostDeflicker --> http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=5705.0
Did it on the 650D a few days ago and it worked very well.

Thanks...will try that!