Canon 650D / T4i

Started by nanomad, August 03, 2013, 07:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

osterizerble

Hi,

Thanks Developers and everyone for your support on this thread. I am new to this ML stuff. I do photography mostly. After watching some Raw videos, I want to record some videos. I am not sure if my card can handle it. I have s 32 GB Sandisk Ultra, class 10 SDHC I, 30MB/s.

Will it be possible to start with this card? If not, what card should I upgrade to record raw? If Yes, what should be a good resolution to start with?

Thanking you in anticipation

Walter Schulz

You can start with every card. You may just be limited to lower data rates, that's all.

Do some baselining first.
- Debug tab -> Benchmarks -> Card R/W benchmark (5 min). Start benchmark and press Play button soon after to access Playback mode.
Number will give you card's limit. 650D's write rate limit is about 41 MByte/s which is good for about 720p24 but your card will be too slow and stop after a few seconds using this setting. See rbrune's calculator.
http://rbrune.github.io/mlraw/

You have to use ExFAT file system, too. Format card with ExFAT file system in cardreader, run EOScard to make card bootable, delete card's content and copy extracted nightly build contents over.

osterizerble

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I went through the benchmark and at the end, the camera turned off but the buffer light at the bottom right remained on. Does it mean that camera struggled to buffer after a while? I am attaching a picture taken from my phone. I am interested to know more about the card r/w. I will buy a faster card anyway. What does this picture tells me about my card and probability of recording raw video?

Thankyou.

Walter Schulz

See rbrune's calculator. Card is good for about 9 MByte/s in write operation. Use this number in field "Set bandwidth" and calculator will adjust frame for continuous recording.

andy kh

with the newer build i get one pink frame in every mlv clip
5D Mark III - 70D

Walter Schulz

Happens on different cards?

osterizerble

Quote from: Walter Schulz on August 05, 2015, 09:36:17 AM
See rbrune's calculator. Card is good for about 9 MByte/s in write operation. Use this number in field "Set bandwidth" and calculator will adjust frame for continuous recording.

Thanks Walter. Appreciate your time and effort.

andy kh

Quote from: Walter Schulz on August 05, 2015, 09:37:17 PM
Happens on different cards?
tried testing with a sandisk n found no problem.
5D Mark III - 70D

andy kh

Quote from: andy kh on August 06, 2015, 06:15:57 AM
tried testing with a sandisk n found no problem.
correction.. i stil hav that pink frame. i don c any pink frame when i play the cdng file with rawviewer bt after importing in premiere pro cc 2015 timeline, i can see pink frames for every clip no matter which card i used for recording
5D Mark III - 70D

Rythmtech

Just for reference...this is the results for this card.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
650D | Canon 17-55 2.8 | Tamron 70-200 2.8 | Nifty 50 1.8
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Nautilus

Dear devs, how's coding of 650D's audio chip going? Been 2+ years with 0 ML features about audio.
Canon 650D w/18-55 Kit lens | Sigma 30mm f1.4 | CarrySpeed VF-4 Viewfinder | Rode VideoMic Pro | Manfrotto MVH502A Fluid Head + MVT502AM Tripod System

dmilligan

0 developers => 0 progress

Felipe

You can use the audio meters Module made by mk11174, it works with the 700D and 650D as well and buy a juicedlink preamp  XLR converter for headphone monitoring
and XLR + phantom mixer, This module works great is very precise
650D-700D

axelcine

@Nautilus - with all due respect: sound and picture come from the same place. Whereas the picture can be zoomed in, so the camera appears closer to the scene than it actually is, the sound cannot be zoomed. Put the mike where the picture is created, and record the sound externally. I wrote a post in the EOS 700D thread a few weeks ago with a picture of my own $100 setup
Felipe is quite right when he proposes the use of a preamp with headset jack. There are several brands to chose from and many less pricey than juicedlinks.
EOS RP, 5dIII.113/Batt.grip, 5dIII.123, 700d/Batt.Grip/VF4 viewfinder + a truckload of new and older Canon L, Sigma and Tamron glass

Dionisgr

Vremeni good day friends! Here is my question: in the firmware magiclantern-Nightly.2015Oct01.650D104.zip
Built on: 2015-10-01 04:55:08 +0400
Changeset: df63de5
When recording video in Raw counter reaches 10 seconds, and then writes what is skiping frame and number of frames! Is this normal? Flash card SD HC I 16GB Sony class 10 94 mb/s stated! A camera Canon 650d. Put the resolution 1280x720. Even when you turn mlv_snd or other mlv-related seeing problems.
canon  650d EF-S 18-55 IS II, Industar-50-2, Industar-61 L/Z MC, Jupiter-37A

Walter Schulz

Been there, done that.
Problem: Cam will format cards < 64 GB as FAT32 and you need ExFAT for 720p24.
Solution: Format card using cardreader. Select ExFAT.
Download and use EOScard utility (Windows) or MacBoot (OS X) to make card bootable.
Wipe all files and directories from card (but don't format again!).
Copy extracted nightly build contents to card and startup cam

Cons: If you format ExFAT card < 64 GB in cam you will loose ExFAT and get FAT32 and you have to start from scratch again.
So you have to delete/move still and movie files  after/during transfer to computer.

Dionisgr

Thanks for the quick reply! As I understand it that would not have sex with this card easier to buy a 32 or 64 gb. And how important it is to make the card bootable? or is it only for 16 GB cards?

Walter Schulz

If your card is not bootable cam will not find ML and you will startup plain Canon code. Instead using MacBoot/EOScard there is an easier way to make card bootable: Run ML installation. (Sorry, brain got stuck)

Dionisgr

Strangely when installing ML, I did a bootable card! And ML works!

Walter Schulz

Unable to understand what you're trying to say. Please rephrase.

Dionisgr

When installing camera magic lantern I didn't created a bootable SD card. While writing you I couldn't without creating a bootable card to install ML, What is required to make the card bootable before installing ML! So? Or I not absolutely understood you correctly?

If you don't understand again:
1) to Format the card
2)Copy ML
3)to Make the card bootable ( This step I did not do, but ML was installed and running)
4)Install ML

Walter Schulz

Quote from: Dionisgr on October 24, 2015, 10:19:35 AM
When installing camera magic lantern I didn't created a bootable SD card.

Yes, you did. Installation process will set cam's bootflag and make card bootable.

Try this: Format card in cardreader, copy extracted nightly build contents to card and try to start ML. But ML won't start.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: Dionisgr on October 24, 2015, 10:19:35 AM
When installing camera magic lantern I didn't created a bootable SD card. While writing you I couldn't without creating a bootable card to install ML, What is required to make the card bootable before installing ML! So? Or I not absolutely understood you correctly?

If you don't understand again:
1) to Format the card
2)Copy ML
3)to Make the card bootable ( This step I did not do, but ML was installed and running)
4)Install ML

1. Format card using cardreader
2. Copy nightly build contents to card
3. Run ML installation

Dionisgr

All formatted, installed. Now when recording the footage does not pass but 11 h, the hitchhiker's happening! What could it be? Flash card does not support? 1280x720 Indicator recording a red light camera, and in reducing the size of the image on 960h540 the recording indicator in the camera view is green and says OK!

Walter Schulz

1.) Benchmark your card
Debug tab -> Benchmarks -> Card R/W benchmark (5 min)
Press play button after benchmark start. Results?
Benchmark run will generate a file BENCH00.PPM. You can convert it to JPEG, upload it somewhere (picload or else) and link it here.
Take care to disable powersave mode for this benchmark.
2.) Insert card into cardreader and check if ExFAT is used.