Canon 650D / T4i

Started by nanomad, August 03, 2013, 07:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan45

Yes, after shoot the camera hangs and I have to restart it every time. Then I have installed the nightly build, but there the option was removed.

Felipe

A little issue , After pressing the AV +- BUTTON AT THE BACK OF THE CAMERA , PRESS Q button and the camera freezes, To UNFREEZE the camera press again Q button.
650D-700D

spider

Felipe

press av button at the back right after that the Q button the camera freeze. press again Q camera unfreeze
650D-700D

spider

Can't proof that my camera doesn't freeze.

Felipe

Probably some other settings in my ML configuration influence on that, any way no problem , I noticed that by mistake, since I never press that button after
that button in real life. By the way what version of nightly builds are you using ? I mean what date ?
650D-700D

spider

Nautilus

So after waiting one and a half year after my purchase of 650D, i can't see any reasonable progress towards coding its audio chip (which is also used in 700D, EOSM ETC..) . So I decided to switch to an inferior camera, the 550D for its audio features in Magic Lantern (mainly for the audio monitoring).

While I do that, I'm also planning to give RAW recording a shot. 650D has been a very problematic camera for me. It adds pink dots to the raw footage (which can be removed but requires extra steps) and it has no audio monitoring available which I need desperately.

Any info on 550D raw recording performance and resolution? I remember that 650D's SD controller can write 38MB/s maximum, I believe it differs for the 550D.
Canon 650D w/18-55 Kit lens | Sigma 30mm f1.4 | CarrySpeed VF-4 Viewfinder | Rode VideoMic Pro | Manfrotto MVH502A Fluid Head + MVT502AM Tripod System

andy kh

Quote from: Nautilus on September 26, 2014, 12:15:56 PM
So after waiting one and a half year after my purchase of 650D, i can't see any reasonable progress towards coding its audio chip (which is also used in 700D, EOSM ETC..) . So I decided to switch to an inferior camera, the 550D for its audio features in Magic Lantern (mainly for the audio monitoring).

While I do that, I'm also planning to give RAW recording a shot. 650D has been a very problematic camera for me. It adds pink dots to the raw footage (which can be removed but requires extra steps) and it has no audio monitoring available which I need desperately.

Any info on 550D raw recording performance and resolution? I remember that 650D's SD controller can write 38MB/s maximum, I believe it differs for the 550D.
550D can write only 20mb/s. i started with 550D and switch to 650D as 650D can write 40mb/s but i am so disappointed how magic lantern works on 650D.
5D Mark III - 70D

walter_schulz

Stepping down to 550D because of audio issues sounds (sic!) like a bad idea.
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6215
I suppose you might prefer to use an external recorder instead. For better RAW performance look for something with CF card interface. 50D, 7D, ...

Nautilus

Quote550D can write only 20mb/s. i started with 550D and switch to 650D as 650D can write 40mb/s but i am so disappointed how magic lantern works on 650D.

Thanks for the reply. Well, there goes my dreams of RAW recording with 550D  ::)
At least it has audio monitoring, which is a blessing in street interviews, which I regularly do.

QuoteStepping down to 550D because of audio issues sounds (sic!) like a bad idea.

You are right. Perhaps I should keep this 650D and get a used 550D at a bargain price, solely to be used in street interviews.

QuoteI suppose you might prefer to use an external recorder instead.

Seems like a neat idea but I purchased some extra accessories for audio monitoring on Canon cameras (SESCOM A/V to 3.5mm jack cable and Fiio headphone amplifier) a while ago and I'd like to put them to a good use.
Canon 650D w/18-55 Kit lens | Sigma 30mm f1.4 | CarrySpeed VF-4 Viewfinder | Rode VideoMic Pro | Manfrotto MVH502A Fluid Head + MVT502AM Tripod System

walter_schulz

Will those items be sufficient to record sound? We both know the answer ...

Grizraz

At some point lately, I've lost the ability to display the histobar and zebras in LiveView.  Global Draw is active for LiveView and the ML display is shown.  I've kept up to date with the nighties, though only noticed this with the latest 2014Sep27 and 2014Sep12 builds, could have been gone for some time and perhaps I'm just now noticing it.

Grizraz

Deleting config files, resetting ML, the histobar and zebras are now displaying properly  :)

Spirit_Rises

Hi guys

can someone please explain the uninstall process of Magic Lantern from 650D?

here is what i have done for uninstalling

i have the ML installed on the sd card.

then i put it back in to 650d and went to software update section.Tried to update the ML Fw and the succesfull screen appeared and saying restart your camera.Also There was a little note below the screen saying "to disable boot flag wait for 30 seconds" and the counter was counting down from 30 seconds to 0 then i waited the counting down finish and it told me Boot Flag is Disabled.Then i turned my camera off and turned it back on.And went to the format sd card area and did format.there wasnt any option like format sd card leave the ML or format sd card and remove ML ,there was just an option that saying format sd card.i have formated it.

is this the right process for uninstalling? is there any trace left on the camera after uninstalling? or what if i would just selected the "format sd card and remove the Magic Lantern" and  format the sd card what would happen? i mean i wouldnt be touched anything abot the bootflag ?

andy kh

5D Mark III - 70D

Walter Schulz

andy kh

because foramting sd card in camera wouldnt uninstall magic lantern
5D Mark III - 70D

Walter Schulz

That's not correct.
After uninstallation by firmware update -> timeout
the cam's bootflag will be removed and the card will no longer be bootable.
If you choose the format option now the card's content (Autoexec.bin + FIR + ML directory + Canon's default stuff + rest of pic/movies/settings) will be wiped, too and all is cleared up. Apart from a few ML settings remaining in card's NVRAM which will have not effect to the cam.

That's what he/she has done.

Spirit_Rises

Hi Walter Schulz

so the process i have done is right?or is there any other way of uninstalling the ML completely?

but you say "a few ML settings remaining in card's NVRAM which will have not effect to the cam" so that means i didnt uninstall it completely right?

is there any way to uninstall it completely from the cam?

does the process i have done void the warranty?

thnx in advance

Walter Schulz

Warranty isn't an issue wether or not ML is installed (= Cam's bootflag set). There were several cams in Canon's service where owners haven't done anything to hide the fact ML was/is on the cam. Never heard about any complaints or warranties going void. If you will search you will find some reading. ML doesn't void warranty. Fact.
There is one exception: If - and only if - the specific fault/error/damage can be proven (or within reason linked) to be caused by ML you'll be on your own.

As I wrote above: Those settings which might remain in NVRAM won't do anything to the cam when ML is inactive. Why bother?

Spirit_Rises

So i understand that it is harmless but there is no way to remove it completely from cam's nvflash right?once you do it ,it will stay there until to the end of your life ?

dmilligan

ML does not store any settings in NVRAM. ML might change a Canon setting that Canon stores in NVRAM, but that's nothing you couldn't have easily changed yourself, or can simply change back from the Canon menu. Simply uninstall ML and reset all Canon settings from the Canon menu, and you will have a "factory" camera.

Spirit_Rises

Isnt the process i have done above for uninstalling right? Did i do it correctly?

dmilligan

Yes, there is now absolutely no trace of ML on your camera.