Canon 650D / T4i

Started by nanomad, August 03, 2013, 07:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lucawen

What does it take for me to edit photos and videos on raw? What programs and more steps recommended for a better final quality?
650D + 18-55mm ( KIT ) + 70-300mm Sigma + 70-200 Canon IS II

Walter Schulz

Photos: What do you use now? Most programs are able to do RAW, too.
Videos: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?board=14.0

lucawen

PinkDotRemover and raw2dng? No more?

Walter Schulz

Nyte

Has the dual_iso been fixed? I remember it giving an error once enabled (I'm on an older nightly at the moment)

P.S - To edit raw video you first need to convert it, and then import it into lets say After Effects.
Canon 650D/T4i - Nifty Fifty/Plastic Fantastic

snapshot419

I wonder is there a way to convert 24fps into 60fps? ima twixtor user and I cannot get good results using 24fps..is it a way?

lucawen

For raw video, i need convert in PinkToRemover and after in the Raw2dng, correct?

papkee

If PDR works for you then yes, otherwise use a1ex's raw2dng_cs2x2_whitefix.exe which removes the pink dots and converts to dng in the same step.
EOS 650D, a bunch of random lenses & adapters

glassescreditsroll

Quote from: papkee on June 20, 2014, 05:08:05 AM
If PDR works for you then yes, otherwise use a1ex's raw2dng_cs2x2_whitefix.exe which removes the pink dots and converts to dng in the same step.

The whitefix thing will not open for me at all I'm running widows 7

papkee

Quote from: glassescreditsroll on June 24, 2014, 09:00:15 AM
The whitefix thing will not open for me at all I'm running widows 7

You drag your raw files onto the exe.

glassescreditsroll

Quote from: papkee on June 25, 2014, 12:50:05 AM
You drag your raw files onto the exe.
Thanks It dosent work with mlv?

papkee

I don't have experience with MLV but I'm sure a bit of googling would help you out.

Rythmtech

Quote from: Walter Schulz on June 11, 2014, 12:29:36 PM
No hard data -> Not reproduceable -> Speculations -> Back to line one.

No hard data....fair enough ... but read on McDuff->
Not reproduceable -> I can reproduce it as many times as you like.
Speculations -> I'm not speculating what I can plainly see.

Having said that, I've been testing a bit more over the last week or so....

Step 1: Replace SD card in camera with M/L with another blank card and reformat.

Step 2:  I have two batteries B1 & B2.  I charged both and put B1 in the camera and left it for 3 days, came back and B1 in the camera was dead and B2 was still full.

Step 3: I fully charged them both again (just to be sure I gave B2 a top up.) and then put B2 in the camera and kept B1 out. Again left for approx 3 days and B2 in the camera was dead and B1 which was left out was still full.

Therefore, there HAS TO BE something INSIDE the camera that is draining my batteries.

I can only think of two things that it could be...
1) the M/L firmware update that enabled the "boot from card" is still running something even with the camera switch turned off,
.....OR....
2). there is a general fault in the camera.

Anyway,
I think next step is to remove the firmware update... but I haven't looked into that yet.

If anyone can guide me on the process, I'm all ears. Cheers.
Peter.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
650D | Canon 17-55 2.8 | Tamron 70-200 2.8 | Nifty 50 1.8

a1ex

Next test: when you start the camera with ML, hold SET at startup, so ML won't run.

(it will load, but it will be inactive)

Rythmtech

Thanks Alex, but I'm not sure I understand how that helps to diagnose a problem that occurs with the camera turned off.(?)

a1ex

You want to check whether it shuts down cleanly.

Rythmtech

Quote from: a1ex on June 25, 2014, 09:44:14 PM
You want to check whether it shuts down cleanly.

Now that makes sense. Thanks. I've just put a fresh battery in and restart as suggested... I'll see how it goes in a few days.
Cheers.

Rythmtech

Sorry to say that the status quo remains.... Battery is flat once again.

Any other suggestions I could try? .... Cheers.

a1ex

Is this the test result for the above procedure? (you started the camera while pressing SET, it printed "Magic OFF", then you turned it off, and the battery got drained, right?)

If so, the next test is with this: autoexec.bin.

Rythmtech

Quote from: a1ex on June 30, 2014, 01:10:10 PM
Is this the test result for the above procedure? (you started the camera while pressing SET, it printed "Magic OFF", then you turned it off, and the battery got drained, right?)

Yes, exactly like that...

Quote from: a1ex on June 30, 2014, 01:10:10 PM
If so, the next test is with this: autoexec.bin.

Thanks, i'll give it a go.

Rythmtech

Quote from: Rythmtech on June 30, 2014, 10:20:48 PM
Yes, exactly like that...

Thanks, i'll give it a go.

Gave it a go and not sure if there is a change as when I turned the camera on it was down to two bars, but then I tried to focus the camera (half shutter press) and it immediately went to one bar and started flashing...

It looks that there is still a drain on the battery happening, but not sure if this autoexec.bin may have slowed it down a bit.

Also, just for any other doubters out there... http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=12378.msg119827;topicseen#msg119827

dreamersofeden

Hi guys, this is my first message on the forum, so hello everyone! :D

Well... I use a Canon 650D and I'm wondering how stable the actual build is. For what I've been reading here, it seems that there are still some issues while recording RAW video (the pink dots and some frame skipping with 720p @ 24fps RAW). The SD card I use is a 45mb/s 32Gb SanDisk Extreme.

What should I do?, wait for a less-buggy version or give it a try?
I've been waiting a lot for the final/stable version but I see that it's not going to be released in the near future (this summer) at least.

Thanks in advance.
Canon EOS 650D + Canon EF 50mm 1.8 Mk I + Canon EF-S 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 IS II + MC Sun Tele-Auto 135mm 2.5
Manfrotto MVH502AH + KS-0 Ballhead + Benro A2970F

papkee

Quote from: dreamersofeden on July 09, 2014, 05:09:42 AM
Hi guys, this is my first message on the forum, so hello everyone! :D

Well... I use a Canon 650D and I'm wondering how stable the actual build is. For what I've been reading here, it seems that there are still some issues while recording RAW video (the pink dots and some frame skipping with 720p @ 24fps RAW). The SD card I use is a 45mb/s 32Gb SanDisk Extreme.

What should I do?, wait for a less-buggy version or give it a try?
I've been waiting a lot for the final/stable version but I see that it's not going to be released in the near future (this summer) at least.

Thanks in advance.

Really it's not that buggy and many of the features work without issue. You should be able to scrape by recording raw with 45Mb/s, and the pink dot issue can be mostly resolved by using a1ex's raw2dng tools that have been modded to work with 650D footage. See that thread here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6658 (his tool starts around page 13 I believe)

dreamersofeden

Quote from: papkee
Really it's not that buggy and many of the features work without issue. You should be able to scrape by recording raw with 45Mb/s, and the pink dot issue can be mostly resolved by using a1ex's raw2dng tools that have been modded to work with 650D footage. See that thread here: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=6658 (his tool starts around page 13 I believe)

Yes, I knew those tools and that one which does both the RAW to DNG conversion and the dot removal at the same time, but I think I would prefer to wait until this issue is solved "in-camera" in a future nightly build. Basically, to be sure the RAW files I get are as clean as possible, without any "tricks".

Cheers.
Canon EOS 650D + Canon EF 50mm 1.8 Mk I + Canon EF-S 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 IS II + MC Sun Tele-Auto 135mm 2.5
Manfrotto MVH502AH + KS-0 Ballhead + Benro A2970F

Rewind

Quote from: dreamersofeden on July 10, 2014, 03:08:46 AM
...but I think I would prefer to wait until this issue is solved "in-camera" in a future nightly build...

You know, this may be never happen.
Your position is strange to say at least. While you are waiting, we are shooting some nice deep-color detailed raw footage and make some killer vids.

Just a couple random screenshots from my tests:

This is how raw footage from 650D looks now.

By the way, 720p is continious, and even a little more, say 1312x736 records on my camera till the card is full.
With the latest SRM memory interface, we've got larger buffers, and now we can shoot nice cinemascope at say 1568x656 for about a minute before skipping, which is far then enough for almost any stage shots.

PDR tool works fine and treats the focusing pixels nicely, it preserves almost all perceptible detail, because important to our eyes green channel is untouched by pink dots.

So what are you waiting for? Jump in!