Canon 650D / T4i

Started by nanomad, August 03, 2013, 07:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Felipe

Another thing , Was great to test  this but, the feature external and internal mic , can lead to mistakes I will not use it.
650D-700D

mk11174

Quote from: Felipe on April 06, 2014, 10:55:32 PM
I personally think that 63 levels is too much, too many clicks to adjust levels, Say for example my Panasonic P2 Broadcast camera that has build in XLR connectors and good
Preamps, plus a Headphone jack has only 14 levels, 21 levels is fine but 63 ????
Well, if that is how many clicks it is in the Actual Canon Menu if you use Manual in there, ML gets to Max much faster when you hold the button down, that is what I do, I hold it down till I get around where I want it then fine tune it, works good.

For a temp module, I did not want to try to figure out the coding needed to use gain steps, turned out to be harder then I though. When I tried, it kept saying .max has to be consistant, so it doesnt seem like if statements work within menu for .min and .max or if it does, I don't know how to do it, so best to keep it simple and match Canon menu at same time and still make use of ML speed when holding key down to skip through faster.
500D/T1i  550D/T2i  600D/T3i  700D/T5i

mk11174

Quote from: Felipe on April 06, 2014, 11:01:34 PM
Another thing , Was great to test  this but, the feature external and internal mic , can lead to mistakes I will not use it.
Interesting, what kind of mistakes may I ask, I really was not sure if it was even needed anyway, but is fun to test it for sure.

Felipe

Is faster to confirm that you are in external mic, and sound is fine because meters are working.
and just plug out and then you are sure you are in internal,
Menu for this add extra work where is not needed.
And again 22 levels is already a lot , HOW ABOUT HEADPHONE JACK ?
650D-700D

Felipe

Quote from: mk11174 on April 06, 2014, 11:05:08 PM
Well, if that is how many clicks it is in the Actual Canon Menu if you use Manual in there, ML gets to Max much faster when you hold the button down, that is what I do, I hold it down till I get around where I want it then fine tune it, works good.

For a temp module, I did not want to try to figure out the coding needed to use gain steps, turned out to be harder then I though. When I tried, it kept saying .max has to be consistant, so it doesnt seem like if statements work within menu for .min and .max or if it does, I don't know how to do it, so best to keep it simple and match Canon menu at same time and still make use of ML speed when holding key down to skip through faster.

But I'm using the one you made few minutes ago with 22 levels is done !!
650D-700D

mk11174

Quote from: Felipe on April 06, 2014, 11:15:17 PM
Is faster to confirm that you are in external mic, and sound is fine because meters are working.
and just plug out and then you are sure you are in internal,
Menu for this add extra work where is not needed.
And again 22 levels is already a lot , HOW ABOUT HEADPHONE JACK ?
Yeah, I hear you about it being faster just unplugging it, but I added it for the situations that you dont want to unplug it maybe scared of moving camera but want to still change from int to ext, rare as the case may be, I think that is the only use for it.

And no, no headphones till we have full control of the audio. But I did try, lol, 1% stopped me in my tracks thankfully.  :D

And I see where 64 levels can be allot, 21 can be to, but I don't know how to code it to make everyone happy, sorry, guess it will depend on what is asked for the most 64 or 21 or even less, it can be * by whatever we choose pretty much.

Just not sure what is more useful, but good to hear back from others to make the choice for me  :)

mk11174

Quote from: Felipe on April 06, 2014, 11:19:11 PM
But I'm using the one you made few minutes ago with 22 levels is done !!
I would be happy to make custom versions just let me know, I will direct send those to the user, you want less then 21? if so, what sounds good for you?

Felipe

Quote from: mk11174 on April 06, 2014, 11:27:44 PM
I would be happy to make custom versions just let me know, I will direct send those to the user, you want less then 21? if so, what sounds good for you?

The one that you provided with 21 levels is perfect that is done , about the external or internal mic in menu, as well if you go
into ML Menu to switch to external or internal and then to the screen you end up moving the camera plus extra thinking, in a
probably stressing situation as is handling paid work.
650D-700D

mk11174

Quote from: Felipe on April 06, 2014, 11:35:41 PM
The one that you provided with 21 levels is perfect that is done , about the external or internal mic in menu, as well if you go
into ML Menu to switch to external or internal and then to the screen you end up moving the camera plus extra thinking, in a
probably stressing situation as is handling paid work.
Ahh! actually true, you will move cam during button presses, good point. So probably useless then for sure.

Felipe

21 levels, please don't try to match this cameras sound to a high end audio recorder, as I told you I own broadcast cameras with inferior image quality but way better sound hardware with only 14 levels, 21 is ooookkkkk!
650D-700D

glassescreditsroll

Quote from: Felipe on April 06, 2014, 11:49:54 PM
21 levels, please don't try to match this cameras sound to a high end audio recorder, as I told you I own broadcast cameras with inferior image quality but way better sound hardware with only 14 levels, 21 is ooookkkkk!
stop comparing this cam to others this cam has 64 because that's what canon put on it, why dose everyone have to be constricted to having to go from fine tuning to 3x steps because your older cams have less steps? mk11174 is an awesome person for doing this and like he said its just a mod if you dont like the fine tune version stick with the x3 version it's that simple

mk11174

Quote from: Felipe on April 06, 2014, 11:49:54 PM
Im not trying to match it with another camera, just trying to keep things simple and useful to all.

whether its 21 or 63, it is still the same range, the menu number you change is just multiplied by 3 to get to value 63 faster in the version that only has 21 levels, so 21 is not 21 on a scale from 0 to 63 just to make sure everyone understands that part, 21 is really 63.

But from what I hear from the main man dev, some of that 63 is digital, and I don't want 63, so if I find out at what point it goes from analog to digital, I would take that max number and cut it max so it don't go any higher the Analog.

In canon menu, it will be the same case, 0 to 63, some of that is digital, so ml will be useful in making sure we stay in analog values once I find out what the analog limit is.

Felipe

The digital could be necessary, probably all analog could lead to low levels, that could only be raised with a juiced link or a +20 shotgun
ALSO analog only could give trouble with internal, as I remember with my old and already sold T1i WITH UN USABLE LOW LEVELS
Keep digital and go with 21 , but any way you are the boss.
650D-700D

mk11174

Quote from: Felipe on April 07, 2014, 12:15:16 AM
The digital could be necessary, probably all analog could lead to low levels, that could only be raised with a juiced link or a +20 shotgun
But could give trouble with internal, as I remember with my old and already sold T1i
Keep digital and go with 21 , but any way you are the boss.
hmm, good point again, not everyone has amplified mics, lol, dang, well, all builds will be on site so feel free to use whatever one is best suited, probably the only way to do it for now.

I can do the digital and analog gain like how its done on other cams, but I want to avoid bad quality, so have digital in its own range would be best just how ML is already.

So all levels are still there, just separate. Just curious to find out what the analog max value is on these 2 newer cams.

mk11174

What about something like this one?
REMOVED LINK

This one can be used with the Nightly, I took out the mic feature.

If you get a crash, you need to delete the vol_adj.cfg file in ml/settings folder it might use old settings for levels and crash it, so just delete that file to get it working, prob best to delete it anyway before you try it to start clean.

Don't bet the farm that the db are correct, but it is a start of a nicer way to do it, still have control of the full range of levels, but this one is not the single step increments, so if you want to use that one that it is already in my downloads folder to use.

Seems nicer to do it this way, but maybe im wrong?

Felipe

Well let's be real, thank you for your effort but not, it is giving wrong levels, crashes , and more , just went back to march 23 .
650D-700D

mk11174

Quote from: Felipe on April 07, 2014, 06:06:08 AM
Well let's be real, thank you for your effort but not, it is giving wrong levels, crashes , and more , just went back to march 23 .
Hmm, interesting, I don't see how its working any differ for you, just the menu is changed to make it look more like the real ML audio menu, only reason it would crash is if you forgot to delete your cfg file in the settings folder before using it. But that is fine, as long as you have a version that you like that is really the important thing.

Do you feel the dB numbered menu is better or should it just be a simple numbered menu like 1st one with 0 to 21?

Also why do you use March 23rd, the Nightly now is more up to date and has the Audio levels in it?

Felipe

No MK111, I deleted that file and levels were wrong, when I tryed to adjust levels was giving same signal at 26  or 1 in analog and digital some times showing gray out and some times
fine, just out of control. The preamps in this device are not good so personally I will not mess with analog or digital, because most of the time will have to jump to digital.
Unless as I said before using a juiced link or +20 shotgun, and in those situation levels will be just 1 or 2 which is analog
I insist in 21 levels, have you find a way to record manual with the right levels without needing to go to Canon menu and then to the screen ?
By the way I'll be out of town for a while so Ican't follow this adjustment, but as soon as I'll come back will see what is going on.
650D-700D

mk11174

Quote from: Felipe on April 07, 2014, 02:36:42 PM
No MK111, I deleted that file and levels were wrong, when I tryed to adjust levels was giving same signal at 26  or 1 in analog and digital some times showing gray out and some times
fine, just out of control. The preamps in this device are not good so personally I will not mess with analog or digital, because most of the time will have to jump to digital.
Unless as I said before using a juiced link or +20 shotgun, and in those situation levels will be just 1 or 2 which is analog
I insist in 21 levels, have you find a way to record manual with the right levels without needing to go to Canon menu and then to the screen ?
By the way I'll be out of town for a while so Ican't follow this adjustment, but as soon as I'll come back will see what is going on.
Ok, its cool, just really strange why the menu is working so glitchy for the 650d, on the 700d it works perfectly fine. As far as analog and digital, its just named that way in menu, it is really the same thing as 21 levels internally, just named it in dB form and put the higher range that should be digital range in a seperate menu which will only activate and turn white when you use the toggle to turn it on which also turns off analog menu.

Maybe its just to confusing of a menu for this purpose, maybe should just leave it as is just a simple 0 to 21 like you ask.

For me I understand how to use it, but only maybe because I created it, I have to see how a user would figure it out on his own and clearly it must just be to complicated for its purpose.

But as far as what it does, its basically the 0 to 21 setup again, so not sure what is going on with the 650D with this menu setup.

Anyways, its fun messing with the coding, good learning process doing stuff like this, so I didn't mind trying different ways, just did it to give me something to learn with anyway.

I guess theres nothing really to remake, the 0 to 21, 0 to 63 and this version are all on my downloads page the 0 to 21 and this newer version will work just fine with the nightly, I will remake the 0 to 63 to work with the nightly which means taking the mic feature off, I will rename them in a zip file for easy download too, so user can choose the one that is good for them.

a1ex

How did you find out which settings are analog and which are digital?

glassescreditsroll

Mk11174 where can I get the 0-63 updated to mightily version?

mk11174

Quote from: a1ex on April 07, 2014, 04:43:23 PM
How did you find out which settings are analog and which are digital?
I looked at the ic pdf that 1% told me about, but there just ranges from the pdf, 0db to 24db are just ranges of the 0 to 63 value for now done with no special math so there most likely not the exact percent of the 63 steps, just wanted to set it up first to see if anyone liked the menu which I guess it wont work out anyway with others so I will just keep it the old way.

mk11174

Quote from: glassescreditsroll on April 07, 2014, 05:51:47 PM
Mk11174 where can I get the 0-63 updated to mightily version?
I will make that one for you and re up all of them with names shortly.

mk11174

Ok, here are the 3 differ versions of the rec input adjust module.

These will work fine with the nightly builds. The module is nothing fancy, does not do anything different than what Canon Audio menu does, it just allows you to control mic gain from ML.

Also, make sure don't use 2 versions at one time, if you want more than one version ready to go you can have them all on the card, just don't have more then 1 loaded for use.

"updated from 63 to 64 because 64 was actually the max"
64step Version  https://bitbucket.org/mk11174/magic-lantern/downloads/vol_64.mo

21step Version https://bitbucket.org/mk11174/magic-lantern/downloads/vol_21.mo

"fixed the numbers by 4db since I was multiplying by 4, I had no reason to add db choices by 2" DOH!!
still no clue if each step is the db, but for now this is how its setup, I will update each range if I ever figure it out.
Just think of it as a fancier way to step by 4's instead of 1 or 3 like in 64step and 21step
db Version https://bitbucket.org/mk11174/magic-lantern/downloads/vol_db.mo

"zip file with all versions"
All versions  https://bitbucket.org/mk11174/magic-lantern/downloads/All_Vol_Adj_Modules.zip

glassescreditsroll

I like the db version but does anyone know what the canon increments translated to db is? I usually have my increment on the 1 click but what would that translate to into the db menu? 2?