Mass storage module

Started by SpcCb, July 28, 2013, 03:10:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpcCb

Hi!

With all new features we have now (RAW video, video log, etc.) it would be easier if our cameras could be recognized as a mass storage device, isn't? :D

We could download all files not seen by the original Canon software without remove/replace the memory card; it's not really a problem for SD cards, but it's not very good for CF cards to be remove/replace many times (because of pins).
And it would be faster; just plug the camera and go. :)

Maybe it could be done with a module file?

dmilligan

For a fast CF card, a USB 3.0 card reader is going to be significantly faster than trying to use the camera as a reader (I'm fairly certain all of the ML supported camera models are only USB 2.0). My cameras only have SD cards but it is still faster for me to copy files with an external reader.

Secondly, I doubt it's possible. I imagine the USB controller on the camera is implemented in hardware and there is no way it's operation can be modified, but I don't know. Any devs out there care to shed some light? How much is known about the USB controller? However, if it is possible that the USB controller can be reprogrammed, I could see a lot of other potential uses such as getting the camera to show up as generic A/V device so that it can be used as a webcam or be controlled by software other than the canon EOS utility.

a1ex

It's possible with a custom PTP client. Not very straightforward.

From what I remember, the speed when downloading photos via USB is around 10MB/s. Can you try and see if you get better numbers?

SpcCb

Quote from: dmilligan on August 03, 2013, 04:54:54 AM
For a fast CF card, a USB 3.0 card reader is going to be significantly faster than trying to use the camera as a reader (I'm fairly certain all of the ML supported camera models are only USB 2.0). My cameras only have SD cards but it is still faster for me to copy files with an external reader.
(...)
Indeed, file transfer is faster with a USB3 card reader.
But the first goal is to not remove/replace CF cards many times.

Quote from: a1ex on August 03, 2013, 08:01:16 AM
It's possible with a custom PTP client. Not very straightforward.
(...)
Yes, like with PTP CHDK.
Not easy, clearly.

I don't see what is the USB chip used on motherboard pictures (i.e. http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/File:5D3_PCB_1.jpg).
Because there's some hacks like this -> http://sourceforge.net/projects/lpcusb quite useful.
But maybe there's no way by this side.