HOW TO: A guide to installing ML on the 7D with recent features

Started by Pileot, August 03, 2013, 09:45:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bjr62th

hello there

hell is in details... i have no CF card reader  :( . if i connect my 7D to my PC, EOSCARD cannot see the CF card ...... how stupid....
any way to install ML on my 7D just connecting it to the PC ? my pc is running windows 7.

many thks

Walter Schulz

wheezl

Quote from: bjr62th on September 01, 2013, 11:17:51 AM
EOSCARD cannot see the CF card ...... how stupid....

Blame Canon.  You will need a card reader for any of this to work.  Luckily they are very cheap.

bjr62th

Quote from: wheezl on September 01, 2013, 03:39:32 PM
Blame Canon.
maybe my sentence was ambigous. i didn't mean to blame EosCard developpers. the situation was stupid, not the software neither the developpers.
eosCard seems to be the only way to make a cf card bootable.
i'll find a card reader.

Pileot

Yup really sucks you can't deal with everything just by plugging the camera in and using the cam as a card reader but thats Canon for ya. My local computer store had card readers for less than $10.

Some higher quality card readers can transfer faster (USB 3.0) so if you intend to use it to transfer lots of pictures or video it might be faster than through the cam.  /2 cents

davidutn

please put a Spanish tutorial on how to install magic lantern for HDR video, there are many people who can not install magic lantern because we do not understand how to do it ... I have installed firmware version 2.0.3 ... thanks  :)

Pileot

Quote from: Pileot on August 03, 2013, 09:46:57 AM
Can you make a video tutorial how to do this? Can you make other language tutorials?
Simply, no.
This detailed guide should be simple to understand with even basic English. If something is unclear, and you have read until this point (congrats, by the way) try using google translate. If you still have problems or your English is bad post your question both in English AND your language, we can try to help you out the best we can.

Please read the instructions. Also, translate.google.com/‎.
Post any questions you have in english as best you can AND spanish so we can try to help you better.

ildiopantofola

it simply works! I already love it!! *____*

guys you are great!!!

davidutn

just following those steps I can now shoot video on my Canon 7D RAW or I have to install some module or something more??

Fredrikro

I followed the instructions for installing, I hope, without any problems, but when actually updating the camera it says that the firmware on the card is older than 2.0.0 and tells me to delete the files and getting a newer version. What's wrong?

Pelican

Quote from: Fredrikro on September 10, 2013, 03:19:40 PM
I followed the instructions for installing, I hope, without any problems, but when actually updating the camera it says that the firmware on the card is older than 2.0.0 and tells me to delete the files and getting a newer version. What's wrong?
Follow the instructions more accurately... :)
EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5, EOS 100 + lenses (10mm to 300mm), 600EX, 550EX, YN600EX x 3
EOScard, EOS DSLR firmwares, ARMu, NiControl, etc.: http://pel.hu/down

Pileot

Quote from: davidutn on September 10, 2013, 10:38:07 AM
just following those steps I can now shoot video on my Canon 7D RAW or I have to install some module or something more??

This, unfortunately, is becoming a trend.

READ THE INSTRUCTIONS. please. The knowledge you seek is written before you.

Mistamichal

Just wanted to add my voice to the conversation and my thanks to Pileot.

I followed the instructions to the letter and, of course, installation went smooth.  Latest version of EOScard worked no problems. I've tried out all the features that I currently use with the non-bootable version and a few others I can think of and, so far (touch wood), everything is working perfectly as intended.

As far as people not getting the installation right, is concerned, I am definitely no programmer but, the instructions are so easy to follow, if you just take the time to read them, you really can't go wrong.

Once again, thanks to Pileot for puttng the guide together, Pelican for the software, and to everyone else involved.

Pileot

Ahh, my faith in humanity has been restored!  Thanks for your feedback! Don't forget to use EOScard on EVERY CARD you intend to use with ML instead of just copy-pasting the files over like SOMEONE I know... not naming any names <.<

Joshua_G

The automatic reload works on my 7D. However, with the latest features, some previous features from the 7D alpha2 are missing, like controlling the GOP, flash, shutter speed etc. Is there a way to have auto reload to the original 7D alpha2?

P.S.,
Possibly the 7D alpha2 plus ettr and/or dual ISO, but not with raw.

Pileot

Please read the bit about missing or talked about features are missing. These "features" are missing because they are still being developed and change on a somewhat regular basis. If you want the latest possible features you will have to read up on those specific threads. They are linked in the first page, please go back and read it again.

Joshua_G

Thank you.
How about the possibility of the original 7D alpha2 without any additions or omissions, other than auto reload?

Joshua_G

Quote from: jemabaris on August 03, 2013, 06:01:02 PM

download the following two files:

http://pel.hu/ML/autoexec.bin
http://pel.hu/ML/7D_203.sym  (right klick and save link)

find those two files in the ML folder on your CF card and replace them.

you will find the burst in the "shoot" tab.

After boot-flagging my camera, is it possible (and is it safe) to use on CF card the autoexec.bin created by the procedure on the first post in this thread, while putting different files on the ML folder in the FC card, like the original 7D beta2 ML folder?

Pileot

Quote from: Joshua_G on September 30, 2013, 02:41:58 PM
After boot-flagging my camera, is it possible (and is it safe) to use on CF card the autoexec.bin created by the procedure on the first post in this thread, while putting different files on the ML folder in the FC card, like the original 7D beta2 ML folder?
Note those are from Aug 3. There are much newer files if you follow the links and read up on the development threads. My general rule of thumb: read the last three pages. Any recent developments / releases will be in those last three pages.

It looks like Pelican is working on updating the ML that EOScard uses (searching for the most stable version with the most features). Knowing him it should be ready very soon!

edgardave

Carried out today with no problem. the version i used today (downloaded using pelican's eos utility) has the fancy new menu/icons, silent shooting a dual ISO (not tried that yet though)

thanks for the guide and thanks for the software!

efbiaye

Guys, I need your help.

Followed all steps very carefully. I had previously installed ML to 5Dm3 with not problems.

Now, after I updated my 7D witch patched .fir, the led turned RED, stayed for about 15s, then the camera looked as if it was completely off.
Waited couple of minutes - nothing. Turned it to off position, then back to ON, nothing happens.

As if the battery was dead. Completly no reaction...
Is there anything I can do????

RenatoPhoto

You probably failed to make your card bootable.  This might help you.  BTW I have never used the download link on EOS card, it is a new feature.

When you use EOScard make sure that:
1. You have the necesary files in the SD card: *.fir file (only if you need to set the bootflag on that camera; this process to be done only once), autoexec.bin file, plus the ML directory.
2. The Utility recognizes the card by identifiying it in the box next to Refresh.
3. You select the EOS_DEVELOP  check box
4. You select the BOOTDISK check box
5. Under Content, make sure EOScard recognizes: DCIM folder, autoexec.bin file, ML folder, and if required (to enable the boot flag on camera) the fir file.  When EOScard recognizes all of those files it should give you a check mark or something like that.
6. Press the Save button.
7. Look on the bottom of EOScard and should give you a confirmation that the card was written, ie. write successful.

I recently read about another situations with the newer EOScard utility in which the automatic function brought the files to the SD via internet connection.  I am not familiar with this function but Pelican seems to more about it since he created EOScard utility.  Anyway the issue was that EOScard utility had downloaded some files plus there were already some files in the card, the user noticed that in the fir file area it showed like 2 files so the user had to select the correct fir file for the EOScard utility to properly prepare the card! One of the files was for Mac and the other was for windows.

Also on most cameras, except 5D3, if you enable the camera bootflag via firmware update, and then do it again you will be disabling the bootflag. In the 5D3 you cannot disable the camera bootfalg.  It is and ON-OFF process, so if you have a camera working and set the camera flag using the *.fir file you will be disabling the flag in the camera and ML wont start.

So remember to make a card bootable use EOScard utility, and to set the camera flag use *.fir file and do the firmware update.
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

idealsceneprod

Help! After many months of successfully using the non autoboot version of Magic Lantern for my 7D, I decided to take the plunge for shooting RAW.

I'm sad to report that after I went into the wrench symbol and updated the firmware, the camera shut itself off, and now won't turn on. Tried other batteries; tried my wall adapter, and nothing I do will even turn it back on :(

Is there any hope I can recover from this? Any ideas? Magic wands?

Thanks
Val Gameiro
Writer, Director, Filmmaker
Austin, Texas

tickerguy

Remove the CF card and battery.

Re-insert the battery and close the card door (NO card in the camera)

Does it boot?

If so, the card is corrupt but the bootflag is set.  That is, the files that have to be on the card aren't but the camera is being told to look for the card files.

Either (1) reformat the card (in which case it will boot without loading ML) or (2) fix the card so it has the correct files on it.