HOW TO: A guide to installing ML on the 7D with recent features

Started by Pileot, August 03, 2013, 09:45:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pileot

If I were having firmware issues i'd try updating my firmware back to the legit Canon firmware and try again. If I can't do it through the camera i'd do it through EOSutility. If the current EOSutility doesnt work I'd try an older version.

Not much more I can suggest since I don't really know much about this. Hope you get it figured out mate.

John Kesl

Quote from: michaelgalassi on August 12, 2013, 10:47:03 PM
I got EXACTLY that screen when upgrading my 5dm3 to the latest Canon firmware, it was unrecoverable and I ended up sending the body back to Canon where the replaced the logic board at the cost of over $200.  I'm not saying that this is your problem, just that you maybe up a creek without a paddle.

that happened last night but i had a new dumper firmware in there try and download the firmware again.
jk

make sure it's 7D000203.fir

arrinkiiii

For Mac users

Quote from: DenJS on August 14, 2013, 04:01:15 PM
Hello!

A little help for mac users:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/prhvvukktwn3wfz/7D.zip

contain:

1. booton.fir - patched firmware which will enable boot flag in your camera
2. bootoff.fir - patched firmware which will disable boot flag
3. 7D000203.FIR - original firmware 2.0.3
4. MacBoot - java application wich help you make your CF card bootable
5. run – shell script to run java app properly.
6. Magic Lantern Pelican's build with all modules and fixes.

Download, unpack.
1. Enable bootflag on your camera, put booton.fir to root of your CF card, insert it in camera and update firmware, extract CF, delete booton.fir
2. Put original 7D000203.FIR to root of your CF card, insert, update, eject, delete 7D000203.FIR
3. Take any CF insert to your ugly macbook (use card reader of course), double-click "run" script, enter your admin (root) password, note that you should have installed Java (download from Oracle if not).
4. In MacBoot interface select size of CF card which you inserted and press Refresh then select "Make DSLR-bootable" and press Prepare Card
5. Copy all folders and files from "To root of CF card" folder to root of you prepared CF card ;)
6. Insert it to you lovely 7D and power on.
7. Press trashcan button, Navigate to "M" menu and load all modules
8. have a nice sex :)

P.S.
Sorry for poor English.

P.P.S.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4uvrwzmy740a90b/tools.zip

This is compiled dcraw and cr2hdr you will need it in near future :)
unpack to Desktop, press Cmd-Shift-G in dialog type /usr/local/bin press enter
drag these files (dcraw and cr2hdr) to this opened window with name "bin"
open Terminal.app and try to type dcraw and press enter, you should see something like this:

DenJS-MacBookAir:~ denjs$ dcraw

Raw photo decoder "dcraw" v9.19
by Dave Coffin, dcoffin a cybercom o net

Usage:  dcraw [OPTION]... [FILE]...

if yes then you on right way...

Pelican

EOScard 1.40 fixes:
- during unzipping ML files and folders it creates the empty folders (e.g. scripts) and preserve file dates
- info hint on autoexec.bin (version if found, date, size)
EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5, EOS 100 + lenses (10mm to 300mm), 600EX, 550EX, YN600EX x 3
EOScard, EOS DSLR firmwares, ARMu, NiControl, etc.: http://pel.hu/down

ted ramasola

Thank you Pelican!!

uh.. any chance you can fix the 7D raw_rec live view while there in south american paradise? ;D
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

LiFou

Hey Guys!  :)

so I have a problem with the raw_rec.mo ... :( after loading this module every other modules gives me Err including raw_rec.mo

I followed instructions in this thread step by step at least 20x http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7464.0

after that i tried every firmware for Canon 7D since 1.1.0 to 2.0.3 with EOScard 1.38 and 1.40

I put my CF in card reader, formated it to NTFS, then put it in camera formated it again, then put in card reader did all steps in How to instal ML on Canon 7D thread but I still gets Err after loading raw_rec.mo
I thing I'm using this latest raw_rec.mo from Pelican http://www.mediafire.com/download/17wrac41a1oi4bu/raw_rec.mo

after I do all steps in here http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7464.0  I download the raw_rec.mo and copy it on the CF card in MODULES folder ... is that right or not? Should i do something else with it?

I do not know what to do now, I'm still going thru all the threads about 7D in here and can't find the answer ... maybe I overlooked something or maybe I'm doing something wrong.  :(    can somebody give me some advice or some link please?

... else all other modules works fine (dual iso, file man, pic view and ettr) thanks for them  ;)

LiFou

Walter Schulz

Do not count your chickens before they are hatched ... :-x

Ciao, Walter

sml1187

Hi, I wanted to know if the bug of liveview on the 7D (which freeze when recording in raw) it was fixed.Thanks

arrinkiiii

Quote from: sml1187 on August 18, 2013, 06:17:11 PM
Hi, I wanted to know if the bug of liveview on the 7D (which freeze when recording in raw) it was fixed.Thanks

...unfortunately not yet

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7503.0

bkummel

javyelow

Hi everyone!

i have a problem with my 7D, the camera do not recognice the battery (also original ones)

do you think i will have problems installing magic latern?

hugs!!
Modify message

Pileot

just as long as you dont run out of power as the camera is updating you should be fine.

arrinkiiii

Quote from: javyelow on August 22, 2013, 09:41:10 PM
Hi everyone!

i have a problem with my 7D, the camera do not recognice the battery (also original ones)

do you think i will have problems installing magic latern?

hugs!!
Modify message

?!?!? If your camera don't recognize you battery's, even originals... how you going power up your camera to install ML or use your camera normaly to take pictures, video...??

Pileot

Quote from: arrinkiiii on August 23, 2013, 02:36:05 PM
?!?!? If your camera don't recognize you battery's, even originals... how you going power up your camera to install ML or use your camera normaly to take pictures, video...??

The camera can still power on with ebay batteries, it just throws a warning that it does not detect the battery and asks if you want to use it. Everything works fine except the battery meter and if it dies halfway through something (saving a picture or taking a video) you lose that information.

arrinkiiii

Quote from: Pileot on August 24, 2013, 01:39:00 AM
The camera can still power on with ebay batteries, it just throws a warning that it does not detect the battery and asks if you want to use it. Everything works fine except the battery meter and if it dies halfway through something (saving a picture or taking a video) you lose that information.

Niec to know this Pileot  :D   I bought one jupio (never heard this brand before) and work like a charme.

thanks for the info  8)

Pileot

Yeah on ebay for like, $8 you can get an un-chipped battery that does not show the % remaining, and for like $12 you can get a chipped one that works like the OEM one. Only thing with these aftermarket batteries is they NEVER have the rated mAh. I got three, all listed as 1400mAh, i tested them at 600, 800, and 1000mAh. Tho for $8 im not complaining.

primeone

IIRC, If the camera doesn't recognize the battery it won't let you load firmware.

It's not ML specific, I remember when firmware 2.x came out, there were people who couldn't upgrade because they didn't have a chipped battery.

I suppose it's so that the camera can check to see that you won't run out of battery halfway through.

However, once you've modified the camera to "boot from card" I guess it won't care whether the battery is chipped or not.

Robert

ildiopantofola

Hello guys,

I'm totally new to ML, I'm a 7D user and I've been reading for quite a bit around here. The only doubt (actually i've several ones but i'll figure out myself :P ) I have is if I can get ML installed with the last features ( ...dual iso... ) using a, some way safer, manual-boot version instead of the autoboot one.

The autoboot version is the only one has been "modulized" and so the only one can run dual-iso raw etc... right? hope not ;P

Thank you very much for your patience and help,
regards,
Sandro

Walter Schulz

And the trouble with bootflag set is?

Ciao, Walter (untroubled - as of today - 7D user)

arrinkiiii

Quote from: ildiopantofola on August 25, 2013, 11:26:38 AM

The autoboot version is the only one has been "modulized" and so the only one can run dual-iso raw etc... right? hope not ;P

Sim, estas ultimas funções só dá mesmo com autoboot.

Tomasz

Hi I cant load Ml to my 7D , I do every steps righ , whan I put the card into camera appear " Firmware update program , loading " but after few seconds all disappears . the first version with silent burs Iloaded succesfully but now I cant do nothig , maybe sombody can help me ?

Thanks

Pileot

I understand we have many people from many countries however it is impossible for me to assist you when you do not use proper english, paragraphs, or sentence structure.

Please re-read the first four posts in this thread.
The first post contains steps to installing ML that have worked for thousands of people.
The second post contains troubleshooting for common issues.
The fourth post (my third post) contains links to updates and where to get further information once ML is installed.

Walter Schulz

My advice for those having real trouble with english:
1) Use an automated translator like google translate. It's horrible at times but it's accurate in doing so. Add a remark you used this or that translator, please.
2) Add your text in your native language, too. There is a good chance another person here will be able to read it and to help you.

Ciao
Walter