HOW TO: A guide to installing ML on the 7D with recent features

Started by Pileot, August 03, 2013, 09:45:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FartingPuppyProductions

Can anyone please send me the .fir file as I am a full-time mac guy and not a pc user. I am a 5d Ml user and need to convert my 7d's for a gig. I would be grateful if someone can send me the file to [email protected]. I look forward to opening my email soon to the .fir

Gene Greenwood
Farting Puppy Productions
Farting Puppy Productions
Gene Greenwood - Director / DOP
www.fartingpuppy.com - www.youtube.com/genegreenwood

frogcement

Quote from: Pileot on August 03, 2013, 09:45:57 AM

Ok, with that out of the way...
Make sure your camera is updated to the latest version: 2.0.3
Download the following:
7D firmware v1.1.0 http://pel.hu/down/eos7d110.exe (Thanks to Pelican)
booton.bsdiff: http://pel.hu/ML/booton.bsdiff
bspatch.exe: http://download.pokorra.de/coding/bsdiff_win_exe.zip
EOScard 1.38b software http://pel.hu/down/EOScard.exe (Thanks to Pelican!)

Prepare the folder:
1.  Run eos7d110.exe which will extract a file to a specific folder. I made a folder named MagicLantern on my desktop and extracted the file there.
2.  Move booton.bsdiff to that same folder.
3.  Extract bsdiff_win_exe.zip to that same folder
You should now have a folder with 5 files in it: 7d000110.fir, bsdiff.exe, bspatch.exe, license, and booton.bsdiff.

Create the update file
4.  Open command prompt (start - run - cmd, or type cmd in the start search bar, or start - programs - accessories - command prompt)
5.  Use the CD command to change the directory to the folder you put the files in. You can do this by opening the folder you created and copying the address (in the address bar at the top) and right click - paste in the command prompt.
For me this looked like 'C:\Users\Jon> CD C:\Users\Jon\Desktop\MagicLantern'<Enter>
6.  Now type: bspatch 7d000110.fir 7dbooton.fir booton.bsdiff and press enter.
You should now see a file named '7dbooton.fir'. This is your update file, you will need it in a moment.

Prepare your CF card
7.  Make sure you have a freshly formatted card. I like to format the card as NTFS in windows then format the card again in the camera which changes the filesystem.
8.  Run EOScard. Select your CF card from the list.
9.  Check EOS_DEVELOP and BOOTDISK
10.  Right click the ML icon
11.  Select 7d 2.0.3 alpha2 from the ports in progress.
12.  When the download finishes click SAVE at the top. Wait for it to finish writing files to your CF card
13.  Copy the '7dbooton.fir' file you created before to the CF card (don't put it in any folders).

Update your camera
14.  Put your CF card in your camera, set the dial to M, and turn er on.
15.  Open the menu, select the wrench, then firmware update.
16.  After the camera updates check MagicLantern by pressing the trashbin button.
17.  Check autoboot by turning off the camera, turning it on again, and pressing the trashbin button again.

Please note these steps / this method is newly developed. I could not personally test it, please post any results / issues so we can help you fix them! And if it works as advertised let us know as well! Thanks!

Very good/detailed instructions, i followed them as said and have no problems running this.
Just a quick FYI in case it hasn't been said and i haven't seen it anywhere on here. After
the update firmware is done with the 7dbooton.fir, that file doesnt need to be used anymore on any
subsequent CF cards, and you dont need to use the "update firmware" option if you use multiple CF
cards, all you need is the autoexec.bin file in the root directory of your CF card, and the boot flags from
running EOScard on said CF card. And of course the ML
directory and all it contents :-)
Cheers . . . .
K.C.
--
K.C.

Ottoga

Thanks to Pelican for his hard work and to Pileot for well documented guide.

3 x CF cards built and working perfectly with my 7D.

Time to experiment...... Cheers - Otto
EOS 7D.203, EFS 55-250mm, EF 75-300 III, Tamron 16-300 DiII VC PZD Macro, SpeedLite 580EX II.

Pileot

Quote from: frogcement on August 09, 2013, 10:50:28 AM
After the update firmware is done with the 7dbooton.fir, that file doesnt need to be used anymore on any subsequent CF cards, and you dont need to use the "update firmware" option if you use multiple CF cards, all you need is the autoexec.bin file in the root directory of your CF card, and the boot flags from running EOScard on said CF card. And of course the ML directory and all it contents :-)
Cheers . . . .
K.C.

Yeah, my original guide had you build the firmware, then update, then copy ML to the cards however this way you put everything on the card THEN deal with the camera, i think its easier. And so what if there is an extra firmware update file on the card that people might not really need? Better to make it easy for newbies like myself than complicated. I want the guide so easy even my grandmother could figure it out :)

Additionally, EOScard _should_ pull the latest version of ML... that being said everything is moving so fast its hard to know what the latest updates are.

kh3naz

EOScard.exe v1.39 is an instant crash for me on windows 7 x64

Downloaded the alternative Zip file , extracted content to cf card , followed all the other procedures , updated the firmware on camera

but nothing is happening , pressing the bin button does nothing !

Here is what the content of my card looks like :

kh3naz

arrinkiiii

Quote from: kh3naz on August 10, 2013, 11:13:53 PM
EOScard.exe v1.39 is an instant crash for me on windows 7 x64

Downloaded the alternative Zip file , extracted content to cf card , followed all the other procedures , updated the firmware on camera

but nothing is happening , pressing the bin button does nothing !

Here is what the content of my card looks like :

Do you already bootflag your camera??

I think that the file 7dbooton.fir is only for bootflag your camera, use this single file in CF card and upgrade your firmware in camera. After this delet the file and instal the rest of the files in your cf card and i think you are on.

Read this threat good. Wend i have done this is like this i have manage but things chance, reed good this threat.

Hope this help you.

Pelican

If you haven't run EOScard then your card is not prepared.
Donwload the previous version and try it: http://pel.hu/down/EOScard1.38.exe
EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5, EOS 100 + lenses (10mm to 300mm), 600EX, 550EX, YN600EX x 3
EOScard, EOS DSLR firmwares, ARMu, NiControl, etc.: http://pel.hu/down

Pelican

EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5, EOS 100 + lenses (10mm to 300mm), 600EX, 550EX, YN600EX x 3

kh3naz

arrinkiiii

Quote from: kh3naz on August 10, 2013, 11:58:23 PM
Much appreciated , 1.38 worked , ML is UP and running :)

Oiéééeé´  ;D 

Let's see that x1000 working !

sml1187

Hello :) im going to try the alpha2 with raw module,after trying it out how can I remove the bootflag to return the 7D to its original state?

davidutn

Please it would be best to upload a video tutorial for the good of all ... Thanks :)

Pelican

Quote from: sml1187 on August 11, 2013, 12:59:02 PM
Hello :) im going to try the alpha2 with raw module,after trying it out how can I remove the bootflag to return the 7D to its original state?
I wrote it in the 7D alpha2 topic.

Pelican

Quote from: davidutn on August 11, 2013, 06:25:36 PM
Please it would be best to upload a video tutorial for the good of all ... Thanks :)
You can do it too... just start recording and follow the written tutorial.

tjunkkila

Any chance for a mac tutorial as well? Or does it work on windows only atm?
Excellent work so far guys.

Pileot

Quote from: tjunkkila on August 11, 2013, 07:22:41 PM
Any chance for a mac tutorial as well? Or does it work on windows only atm?
Excellent work so far guys.

Run a virtual windows box. Wine is one i've heard about. I like virtualbox. That being said Im a windows guy.

Or, borrow a friends computer, library computer, school computer, etc.

Good luck!

rlk

Quote from: Pileot on August 12, 2013, 01:31:09 AM
Run a virtual windows box. Wine is one i've heard about. I like virtualbox. That being said Im a windows guy.

Good luck!

I don't have Windows at all (Linux only).  If it runs under wine (which is really an implementation of Windows), that could work.

tjunkkila

Quote from: Pileot on August 12, 2013, 01:31:09 AM

Good luck!

Thank Pileot!I'm at my work computer now and giving it a try today.

T

Pileot

Yup all ya gotta do is get the card set up, once the card is ready pop it in the camera, firmware update, and your good to go!

Fringuello

Italy - canon 7D

tjunkkila

Aw yis! first DNG's on After Effects. Looking good. Got about one second burst at 2530x1200 resolution on transcend 400x card. One frame shows a glitch but still a promising start.

I had just a minor issue after installing the 7dbooton.fir. The camera didn't start at all. I removed the battery but still everything remained black until i removed the card. The solution was to replace 7dbooton.fir with regular 7d000203.fir and update to that. The ML menu was still intact anyway. Not sure if it just required to remove the 7dbooton.fir from the card(?)

Pileot

Quote from: tjunkkila on August 12, 2013, 10:07:16 AM
Aw yis! first DNG's on After Effects. Looking good. Got about one second burst at 2530x1200 resolution on transcend 400x card. One frame shows a glitch but still a promising start.

I had just a minor issue after installing the 7dbooton.fir. The camera didn't start at all. I removed the battery but still everything remained black until i removed the card. The solution was to replace 7dbooton.fir with regular 7d000203.fir and update to that. The ML menu was still intact anyway. Not sure if it just required to remove the 7dbooton.fir from the card(?)

You only need that to set the bootflag on the camera once. Once its set your good, you can remove the .fir file with no consequence.  I just have the guide written with both the .fir and ML files on the card at the same time to make it easier.

tjunkkila

Quote from: Pileot on August 12, 2013, 10:35:22 AM
You only need that to set the bootflag on the camera once. Once its set your good, you can remove the .fir file with no consequence.  I just have the guide written with both the .fir and ML files on the card at the same time to make it easier.

Yeah noted. But everything's working like a charm so expect some test footage soon. And of course continuous raw would be nice. I have too much hard drive space anyway :)

michaelgalassi

Quote from: rodon on August 04, 2013, 10:25:03 PM
I seem to be running into an issue when trying to get my 7D bootflagged with the patched firmware.

I managed to make it up to step 15 step 8 when I got an "Update file error." on my 7D.
I even tried the patch that lets you update directly from the card (bypassing the EOS Utility) and I still get the same issue.

I've "reset/reformatted" these cards several times already (I've only ever run the 7D alpha 2 off of them anyway)
Any idea what I might be doing wrong here?

I got EXACTLY that screen when upgrading my 5dm3 to the latest Canon firmware, it was unrecoverable and I ended up sending the body back to Canon where the replaced the logic board at the cost of over $200.  I'm not saying that this is your problem, just that you maybe up a creek without a paddle.