HOW TO: A guide to installing ML on the 7D with recent features

Started by Pileot, August 03, 2013, 09:45:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

britom

just a guess: the reason why for some people this guide is not working might be because their 7d's were manufactured with a newer version of the firmware than 1.2.3 so firmware cant be downgraded. When i bought mine it came with 1.2.1 version. So using the files from pelican should work.
7D Builds with RAW support: http://bit.ly/14Llzda

rodon

Quote from: britom on August 05, 2013, 12:45:29 AM
just a guess: the reason why for some people this guide is not working might be because their 7d's were manufactured with a newer version of the firmware than 1.2.3 so firmware cant be downgraded. When i bought mine it came with 1.2.1 version. So using the files from pelican should work.
I purchased my 7D back in August of 2011. I'm wondering if this issue is something that can be confirmed.

John Kesl

Quote from: codypowers on August 04, 2013, 05:53:09 AM
Am I the only one getting "Out of Memory" errors in EOS Utility?  Is there a fix for that?  Prior to installing 2.8.1 everything worked fine...  Is there a fix for this?  ???
Me too.

Pileot

Well it shouldnt be an issue anymore as the guide has changed and we no longer need to use EOSutility :) 

STEPS HAVE BEEN CHANGED! Anyone having issues with EOSutility bin all the files you downloaded before, re-download the supplied files, and try the instructions. Let us know how it goes!

Tomasz

I have problem with cmd , when I am ready
[ C:\Users\Tomasz> CD  C:\Users\Tomasz\Desktop\MagicLantern bspatch 7d000110.fir 7dbooton.fir booton.bsdiff ]
and press the Enter button , dont create the new firmware but 'The system cannot find the path specified' .

What I doing wrong ?

Thanks

Walter Schulz

C:\Users\Tomasz> CD  Desktop\MagicLantern

Press ENTER

C:\Users\Tomasz\Desktop\MagicLantern> bspatch 7d000110.fir 7dbooton.fir booton.bsdiff
Press ENTER

Ciao
Walter

neilpercy

In windows 7 you can hold SHIFT+RIGHT CLICK  on the 'work folder' with your files in and then you can choose to 'open commande window here' which will open the Command dos window (CMD) with the  correct folder open and ready to go - just copy and paste the commands  - bspatch 7d000110.fir 7dbooton.fir booton.bsdiff (right click in command window and choose paste).

can be done in Windows XP with a registry hack too - info on both here

hth

neil

DjJuvan

I tried this procedure, but after applying new firmware, nothing happends. It just throws back to ordinary live view and trash bin doesnt summon up ML menu :\ Everything works OK, it just didn't do anything.

ygor

[size=8pt]Canon 7D | Canon 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | Canon 50mm f/1.8 II | Sigma 18-200 OS 3.5-5.6 | Canon 580ex II
Landscapes[/size]

Gippi

Hi, I can not figure out if the  followed procedure was successful.
In magic lantern menu I can see the feature  silent picture, but I can not find dual iso  function (how to activate it ? )
Every time I turn off the camera I must manually reload magic lantern.  Is normal that autoboot does not work?
Is the new GUI menu  also in the new firmware? .... I can still see the old menu.

Thanks and sorry if I have so many questions.

Walter Schulz

Quote from: Gippi on August 05, 2013, 07:26:37 PMHi, I can not figure out if the  followed procedure was successful.
I may guess it wasn't.

Quote from: Gippi on August 05, 2013, 07:26:37 PMIn magic lantern menu I can see the feature  silent picture, but I can not find dual iso  function (how to activate it ? )
Tab "M" -> "Load modules now" -> Tab "Expo" -> "Dual ISO"

Quote from: Gippi on August 05, 2013, 07:26:37 PMEvery time I turn off the camera I must manually reload magic lantern.  Is normal that autoboot does not work?
This topic is about installing ML with autoboot feature. It will work if you follow the instructions.
Quote from: Gippi on August 05, 2013, 07:26:37 PMIs the new GUI menu  also in the new firmware? .... I can still see the old menu.
Tab "Help" -> "Press Menu     Junkie Mode"

Ciao
Walter

Pileot

Quote from: DjJuvan on August 05, 2013, 05:56:25 PM
I tried this procedure, but after applying new firmware, nothing happends. It just throws back to ordinary live view and trash bin doesnt summon up ML menu :\ Everything works OK, it just didn't do anything.

If you applied the firmware file properly then that enables the bootflag on the camera. Do you have the magiclantern files on the CF card?  The camera is looking to boot from the CF card but if the files are missing / renamed then nothing will happen. Format the card as per the instructions, then run EOScard and continue the instructions at step 7.

DjJuvan

I did the same as you said twice... no luck :\  Unless the official 2.0.3 firmware is somehow blocking ML?

Walter Schulz

Try again.
You're not using a CF-to-SD-Card-adapter, I hope ...
Firmware 2.0.3 is the proper version for this ML build. It's running here and elsewhere.

Ciao, Walter

Pileot

Im no programmer, im just a random guy who wanted to help make a clear guide for people but I will try to help.

You generated the firmware file properly
you prepared your CF card, formatting it as per the instructions (first on computer as NTFS, then on camera)
Place the firmware file on the CF card
Put CF card in camera
Firmware update in camera menu
WHEN CAMERA IS DONE turn off and take out CF card, plug the CF card into your computer
Run EOSutility as per the instructions.

IF that does not work tell us the files on your card, maybe we can spot something there?

Gippi

Quote from: Walter Schulz on August 05, 2013, 08:07:46 PM
I may guess it wasn't.
Tab "M" -> "Load modules now" -> Tab "Expo" -> "Dual ISO"
This topic is about installing ML with autoboot feature. It will work if you follow the instructions.Tab "Help" -> "Press Menu     Junkie Mode"

Ciao
Walter

Thanks Walter, now all works.

HaZee

I'm at firmware 2.0.3
When I try to "update" to enable autoboot I get the following message:

Firmware older then Ver. 2.0.0
is on memory card.
Delete old file and update
using later version.

LEVISDAVIS

Any testers out there?

... How well does the 7D hold up when shooting raw with a Mosaic Engineering anti-aliasing filter? Starting to think that this would be an excellent combination for production work.

... So close to not purchasing a BMCC MFT with a Speedbooster and just going with an ML 7D with a Mosaic Engineering anti-aliasing filter. Could use some help.

Thanks.
Levi S. Davis

Walter Schulz

Quote from: HaZee on August 07, 2013, 12:55:23 AMFirmware older then Ver. 2.0.0

Put card into your cardreader, format with NTFS, put card into your camera, format it there.
Then redo installation steps as described on the first page.

Ciao, Walter

John Kesl

Hi,
I've noticed the GOP and Frame Dump hack don't work in this version. Was wondering if it may be enabled.
Thanks.

John Kesl

was lookinh into the code and see

#Makefile for 7D firmware 203 master digic

ML_SRC_PROFILE=custom

# compile position independent (experimental, not working completely yet)
CONFIG_PIC=n

# magiclantern.lds script MUST be first
# entry.o MUST be second
# menu.o and debug.o must come before the modules
ML_OBJS-y = \
   magiclantern.lds \
   entry.o \
   master_boot.o \
   stubs.o \
   gdb.o \
   ptpbuf.o \
   ml_rpc.o \
   state-object.o
was wondering where i would put

this is the one that's missing?

video_hacks.o \

but can I just paste that into the 7D_203 Master file.
And then compile?

Pileot

Quote from: LEVISDAVIS on August 07, 2013, 12:10:20 PM
Any testers out there?

... How well does the 7D hold up when shooting raw with a Mosaic Engineering anti-aliasing filter? Starting to think that this would be an excellent combination for production work.

... So close to not purchasing a BMCC MFT with a Speedbooster and just going with an ML 7D with a Mosaic Engineering anti-aliasing filter. Could use some help.

Thanks.

There are LOTS of testers! We all are testers! Anyone who has followed this guide (read over 4000 times last I checked).
How well does it do Raw video? Well Raw video is still one of the most experimental stages. In my third post you will find this which may answer your questions.
Quote from: Pileot on August 03, 2013, 10:49:13 AM
Additionally, there is a 7D RAW thread here:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7503.0

And 7D module development here:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7508.0

Thank you for reading the guide fully! Hopefully you find your answers there!

Pileot

Quote from: John Kesl on August 07, 2013, 12:42:29 PM
Hi,
I've noticed the GOP and Frame Dump hack don't work in this version. Was wondering if it may be enabled.
Thanks.

Quote from: Pileot on August 03, 2013, 09:46:57 AM
Common problems and solutions: (I will add more as I notice them).
IF YOU ARE HAVING ISSUES READ THIS FIRST!

Advertised / talked about functions are missing!
This includes but is not limited to:
Dual ISO, Raw Video, Silent Pictures, Burst mode, etc.
Since this is a HIGHLY BETA version, some things are disabled.
Additionally, magiclantern is being modulized. There are different modules you can download for different thigns (like HDR, for instance) and as each gets developed or tweaked further they are made available in the development thread (now up to 40 pages, see my first post).
Don't blindly load modules, some are buggy or didnt work properly. Watch the development thread daily to see when updates are being posted.
Read the last 10 pages of the development thread.
You will need to LOAD THE MODULES in MagicLantern to enable them. They are diabled by default.
BEWARE, THESE ARE VERY EXPERIMENTAL AND MAY TURN YOUR CAMERA INTO JELLO. USE WITH CAUTION.
(This is turning into the number one question on this thread, followed by people not following instructions)
Hopefully that answers your question.

John Kesl

Jon Girard

Quote from: rodon on August 05, 2013, 04:47:40 AM
I purchased my 7D back in August of 2011. I'm wondering if this issue is something that can be confirmed.

Are you trying to install with a CF card larger then 32GB? I ran into this problem, firmware can only be loaded on a card 32GB or smaller as far as I know. I hope this limitation is remedied!

5D3 users are lucky, they can install ML on the 2nd SD card in their camera and use the large CF card to record. No such luck with our 7Ds! I hoped to use one of the Komputerbay cards, but have tried many different ways, cant get it to work. Works fine on my slow Sandisk though...