HOW TO: A guide to installing ML on the 7D with recent features

Started by Pileot, August 03, 2013, 09:45:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aquablue71

Hi,
just a short question. If i want to get rid of the ML Firmware from my cam. Do i have to rerun the eos firmware again or is there an other way (just to know how this had to be done in case ;))

Walter Schulz

You don't have ML firmware on your cam because ML doesn't replace Canon's firmware but runs on top of it as task/program like other programs on other computers with their OS. ML is loaded from the card at startup.
The thing you meant may be
a) How to remove the boot flag from the cam (which will do no harm if it stays there)
b) How to get rid of ML which is stored on the card

Answer to a): Download http://pel.hu/ML/bootoff.bsdiff and run the command to create a 7Dnoboot.fir. Use Canon's firmware update dialog to load this "firmware" and boot flag is gone.
Answer to b): Format the card in your card reader and then in the cam. You can also use the Q button from the format dialog to wipe ML from the card.

Ciao
Walter

Aquablue71

thanks Walter for the answer.
I think your point a) is what i mean. I know that it does not harm. I just wanted to know what to do if i want to get rid of this boot flag.
Thanks for the help

André

Aquablue71

just one more small question.
can someone list the modules that are together with the version?
I know the dual Iso and the raw, but the rest i am not shure what they do. And are there more modules to add?

davidutn

please upload a video tutorial on how to install magic lantern for RAW video ... thanks  :)

Pileot

Ok, first +1 to walter on using google translate AND your native language.  We don't want to discourage our international community from posting, we just want to be able to help you better!

As for the modules. I have listed links to the various threads working on different aspects of MagicLantern. If you read the first four posts you know that ML is very experimental right now on the 7D and things are constantly changing. This makes having a most recent list of modules nearly impossible to maintain as modules can be updated or changed dozens of times a day. Just because it was changed does not mean its better, and sometimes can negitively impact in unintended ways.

As to the video tutorial, I will not be making one. The steps are listed as simply and basically as I can make them. Sometimes the software has been updated causing bugs, usually its updated to give you the latest version of ML. I have backups of working and tested software in case an update breaks something. If you can't follow simple instructions and read the FAQ then a video will not help you.

Since its being asked a few times I will add "how to remove ML" to the FAQ.

Thanks for the continued support by everyone and your help in helping others. This is why were awesome!

Pileot

Quote from: Indy on August 28, 2013, 03:23:54 PM
bspatch for 1.1.0  has been written by Trammel...

http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/7D_support#Status_Before_g3gg0.27s_hack

Indy

What would be the advantage to staying on 1.1.0 instead of updating to the latest Canon FW before using ML?

arrinkiiii

Quote from: Pileot on August 28, 2013, 09:10:13 PM

What would be the advantage to staying on 1.1.0 instead of updating to the latest Canon FW before using ML?

I think is just for be able to bootflag. The camera stay with the latest firmware that you have update

dmk

Ahhhh... thanks for clearing that up, it was kindof confusing to read:

"Make sure your camera is updated to the latest version: 2.0.3" ... "Download the following: 7D firmware v1.1.0"

I think there's an advantage to making us newcomers figure it out. By breaking our teeth and reading through the various forums, we get a better overall understanding before we can jump in :)

However, since this thread is really meant to help people get up and running as easily as possible... can I make a couple suggestions to clarify the sticky post Pileot? If I've got the details wrong, please correct. What I mean to say is to keep the bullet list (which is very clear- thanks for doing that!) but maybe add some headers and footers for more explanation.

For example:

---------------------
Step 1) Prepare bootflag override*

1a) Prepare the folder ....
1b) Create the update file ...

Step 2) Prepare the ML code to run**

2a) Prepare your CF card ...
2b) Update your camera ...

* This enables ML to run and is achieved by reading some code from old firmware. It will not overwrite your new firmware, it only changes a specific generic setting which applies to all firmware.

** This uses EOSCard to load your chosen build of Magic Lantern. Since development is ongoing, there are various ports available. Follow Pelican's post to see what features are in various bundles - newest includes BrunoNicko's fix to LiveView during RAW recording

---------------------

Anyway, if I put the pieces of the puzzle together right, all this might seem obvious to anyone who's been here for a while. But for people just getting our feet wet, explanation is helpful :)

arrinkiiii

Indeed, i also think that bootflag should be more easy to manage. Maybe if 1% enter in the 7D league he can manage something more simple. Also this is the begging of a new era for the 7D. I think we don't have a developer since one year...

Let wait and see what going to happen...

davidutn

I have the version 2.0.3 on my 7D, I must do in order to install Magic Lantern to record RAW video??? a tutorial in Spanish please greatly appreciate.

arrinkiiii

Pelican

Quote from: Pileot link=topic=e7464.msg71148#msg71148 date=1377717013
Nothing.
He means the credits goes to Trammel for making the original bsdiff file which turns on the bootdisk flag and dumps the ROM.
I've only modified that to 2.0.3 because lot of people had problem with updating the firmware with an older version fw file.
I've also made the bootoff.bsdiff from the same original bsdiff.
And I can do all of these because Indy reversed the Canon firmware update file and shared his findings...

So please put Trammel and Indy to the credits...
EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5, EOS 100 + lenses (10mm to 300mm), 600EX, 550EX, YN600EX x 3
EOScard, EOS DSLR firmwares, ARMu, NiControl, etc.: http://pel.hu/down

dmk

For the sake of clarity, Pelican, does this mean users do not need to do the steps involving firmware 1.1.0? Sorry for the n00b questions...

Pelican

EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5, EOS 100 + lenses (10mm to 300mm), 600EX, 550EX, YN600EX x 3

dmk

Of course, that is what I will do :)

Everything is very clear for instructions.

In terms of understanding what's going on though, it's confusing- why the need for old firmware (as it says in the tutorial) and why the need to upgrade to new before installing the old? Seems strange is all... just curious

Pelican

Quote from: dmk on August 29, 2013, 07:35:36 PM
Of course, that is what I will do :)

Everything is very clear for instructions.

In terms of understanding what's going on though, it's confusing- why the need for old firmware (as it says in the tutorial) and why the need to upgrade to new before installing the old? Seems strange is all... just curious
Please read the related topics and you will find lot of information and you will understand these steps.
As many people write it before: this booton stuff is NOT a real firmware update file and it does NOT update your camera's firmware but set the bootdisk flag instead of it.
Keep reading!

arrinkiiii

Quote from: dmk on August 29, 2013, 07:35:36 PM

This old firmware is just for bootflag the 7D for be able to read the ML files. In reality your camera still operate with the newest firmware that you have put there. Is just a way they found to make bootflag your camera.

dmk

Thanks for the confirmation y'all. Absolutely, will keep reading!

Pileot

Quote from: Pelican on August 29, 2013, 12:57:55 AM
So please put Trammel and Indy to the credits...

How could I miss this for so long!
Finally edited the first post. Added credits. Added an explination about the 7D 2.0.3 and 1.1.0 question, that was something i was unclear about myself and made sure to be extra clear the cam had to be 2.0.3 after I tried downgrading lol.
Also added in the FAQ links to the bootoff file somehow I neglected it earlier.
Linking to the guide how to do on a MAC and added thanks in first post for that. Woot!

mdfpido

I think I might have bricked my camera.

I followed the instruction in the first post to a T. But when I came to this:
14.  Put your CF card in your camera, set the dial to M, and turn er on.
15.  Open the menu, select the wrench, then firmware update.
16.  After the camera updates check MagicLantern by pressing the trashbin button.

The camera shuts down and I could not turn it back On. In fact, it stops at checking for firmware update, then shuts down.

What can I do now? How do I revert all that? :(

Please help.

Walter Schulz

Put your card into a cardreader, format it there with NTFS or ExFAT, remove it, insert it into cam. After startup (which should be normal) the camera will report an unreadable card. Format the card inside the cam. Restart and you are back to starting point.
Follow instructions again.

Ciao, Walter

codypowers

Could someone send me the booton firmware please?  I'm on a mac