BlackMagic Cinema Camera now priced well below 5D3?

Started by Zao, August 03, 2013, 02:29:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zao

It seems RAW has made big waves in the industry with a massive price drop on the BMCC.

Just got an email today:

QuoteBlackmagic Cinema Camera Price Reduction

We have worked very hard over the last year to be able to build the Blackmagic Cinema Camera at a lower cost so we can reduce the price and allow access to digital filming to a wide range of cinematographers and photographers.

We have done it and from today the Blackmagic Cinema Camera EF and MFT models will be reduced in price to US$1,995. This is very exciting and is one of the proudest moments of my life to be able to do this!

I think people will be able to use the savings to invest in some exciting lenses and rigs to really boost the creative possibilities. The Blackmagic Cinema Camera is a fantastic design that's now well proven. The advantage of the 2.5K sensor is it has enough resolution to eliminate the bayer resolution loss of a HD sensor, but when shooting RAW it produces files that are too not to big to store and work with easily. It's a fantastic solution.

All orders placed that have not yet been filled, can be reduced to the new lower price.

So its now much cheaper than a 5d3...

Still the 60p is a massive drawcard that will have me going for the 5d3 over the BMCC. Interesting if ML had anything to do with this price drop or if it was on the cards for while.

The price war has begun.
5Dii/T3i & a few super taks

1%

They have to compete with 50D + the faster SD cameras. Esp if SL100/70D don't have the dots.

noisyboy

Held out for long enough but couldn't resist - had to buy one at this price! Roll on Tuesday :) Won't replace my DSLR's but still can't wait to put this badboy to use :)

I know this will draw a lot of "yeah but on the BMCC it's not as good because of xyz" but you definitely have to admire Blackmagic Design's ethos! They might be flakey fuckers when it comes to shipping but I love that they have just given the entire industry the finger in terms of pricing.

I guess that yeah - ML must have had *some* influence on the price but imagine the influence that they have just had on Canon/RED/Alexa/you-name-it. Bet a whole lotta CEO's just went "shit..."  8)

Bjlemenager

Tools are getting so cheap these days. The whole industry is getting flooded, no wonder you can't make nearly the money film used to make. And the studio system is in shambles because of the flux in tech making everything available to indie crowds, not that I'm complaining since I'm a fan.

arrinkiiii

Quote from: noisyboy on August 03, 2013, 03:51:15 AM
Held out for long enough but couldn't resist - had to buy one at this price! Roll on Tuesday :) Won't replace my DSLR's but still can't wait to put this badboy to use :)

I know this will draw a lot of "yeah but on the BMCC it's not as good because of xyz" but you definitely have to admire Blackmagic Design's ethos! They might be flakey fuckers when it comes to shipping but I love that they have just given the entire industry the finger in terms of pricing.

I guess that yeah - ML must have had *some* influence on the price but imagine the influence that they have just had on Canon/RED/Alexa/you-name-it. Bet a whole lotta CEO's just went "shit..."  8)

Exactly

andjarnic

I don't know that you can compare the $2K BM 2.5K cinema camera to the 5d3 especially if the 5d3 can do continuous 14-bit raw at 1080p (and maybe even higher res one day). That said, I am going to be buying the BM now because for 2K you get a 5" LCD (even though I have an 8" monitor), SSD drive recording price wise are cheaper that equivalent sized flash cards, DNxHD/ProRes recording as well as 12-bit RAW, and the Davinci Resolve 9 (but free upgrade to 10), for $1500 or so less. The 5d3 raw footage is really good though, and with a much larger sensor maybe they'll even get it up to 2.5K or higher resolution with continuous recording one day. But for the price and what you get, the BM is a great deal. In favor of the 5d3 is you also have one of the best stills camera on the market, so it's tough to compare, but if you want just great raw and not so compressed video, the BM is a great deal!