[WONTFIX / VERY HARD] Jpeg Video

Started by OtakuTechie, August 01, 2013, 10:12:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OtakuTechie

Let me start off by saying I appreciate and have the up most respect for Open-source communities, and love the work magic lantern community has be doing.
I've tried looking through posts about this could not find one, but i am sorry if there is one in the feature request.
sorry in advance.
reason i am asking is there is no basic jpeg video option
why video shot with 24fps jpeg if able? 4:2:2 Chroma sub-sampling which in turn is better for green screen work.
h.264 codec only offers 4:2:0 Chroma sub-sampling (yes i can work with it but 4:2:2 would be nice)
If this feature already exists please point me to it and mark this as done, if not can it be done with in reason like 720p 24fps or better?

(note: info based on camera manual, and mediainfo [open-source command line utility for gnu linux]

camera: canon t3i/600d
Picture mode  S2 (16:9 ratio)

MediaInfo on jpeg formate:
Format: jpeg
file size: 946 KiB
Width: 1280px
Height: 1920px
color space: YUV
Chroma subsapling: 4:2:2
Bit Depth: 8 Bits
Compression Mode: Lossy
Stream Size: 946 KiB (100%)

picture quality: S2(1920x1200) maximum burst: 10780 shutter speed 1/30
10780 divided by 30(frames per seconds) = 359.3 (rounded) Divided by 60(1minute) = 5.9883 (rounded)  correct me if wrong but gives about 5 minutes of jpeg video, i only need 2mins

with this in mind what i am asking is if its possible to get a shutter speed of 1/50 while only taking 24fps worth of jpegs?
or alternatively 1/60 with 30fps. (no audio needed)

-Sorry was tired when i wrote this forgot the technical info and corrected for Errors for better understanding-
sorry for original post being lacking in info fixed now.
I understand if it cannot be done, and i thank you for your time and wish you luck with future endeavors.

mizantropia

I wish to bump it up.

RAW video is available and its great but still it needs hellish cards and no Full HD is available for 5DmkII.
Would be great to get something in the middle (h.264 vs. RAW).

Correct me if im wrong. That kind of jpeg sequence should give much better quality than h.264

Im suprised that this feature request died.

1%

It didn't die, just hard to do. Don't think you can get a shutter click quality jpeg out of the compressor. Its more akin to what you get from EOS utility.

Shutter click jpegs happen like this: shutter moves. -> raw -> compressor -> jpeg written to card. So forget this S2 business.

tin2tin

If I remember correctly did A1ex manage to make ML record in MJPEG. He uploaded some shots of birds in water, but that was before RAW became a reality.

You could do a search on mjpeg and see what shows up.

MJPEG would be great for us stuck with SD cards, but it is somehow hard for me to imagine that any of the devs would spend time on mjpeg when RAW is around.

ItsMeLenny

Quote from: tin2tin on January 29, 2014, 12:52:45 AM
If I remember correctly did A1ex manage to make ML record in MJPEG. He uploaded some shots of birds in water, but that was before RAW became a reality.

You could do a search on mjpeg and see what shows up.

MJPEG would be great for us stuck with SD cards, but it is somehow hard for me to imagine that any of the devs would spend time on mjpeg when RAW is around.

It was something about to record in MJPEG actually required MORE bandwidth.
So recording in mjpeg is worse/slower than recording in Raw.

1%

No, it wasn't that.

The problems we found were:
5D3/6D... can't get a jpeg buffer going
600D/60D - Can't get jpeg buffer to happen without USB plugged in
5DII and below fairly easy to make constant jpegs

so that's just getting that buffer created....

The next issue was that the jpegs were only 1024x768 or there abouts. So step 2 is finding a way to resize them which is even harder.

The bandwith for the jpegs themselves is pretty much perfect and it would probably take the whole LV size even on the crippled SD cards.

heavygrafix

there is no chance to read out the hole sensor data, isĀ“nt it? the maximum buffer size is on around 3,5k*1.3k on 5D3, right?
would the camera it self be fast enough to read out every pixel of the hole sensor 24 times a sek?

so let me dreaming, but since everything was done here from you amazing guys, i hope for the 5,7k JPG Video anyday.. haha
the Card-Bandwith 24p would be ok, but the camera it self would be the bottleneck?

so crack the JPEG Decoder
crack the hole thing twice
develope a 5,7k JPG Dual-ISO ML Build
and then RUN, find some ammunition bunker, an hope Canon, RED and Arri let you live.
5D Mark III, SP 24-70 2.8 Di VC, KB 1000x 64Gb, KB 1050x 128GB

tupp

Doesn't the TL "all I-frames" (GOP 1) mode give results similar to shooting jpeg/mjpegs?  There is no "inter-frame" compression -- each frame is it's own image. 

With a high bit rate and ideal slice/d-block settings, "all I-frames" looks pretty darn good.

By the way, do I understand this correctly -- TL 2 has GOP 1 and bit rate boost capability, but no direct slice nor direct d-block control, while TL1 offers all of these functions?

Thanks!

chmee

the (my!) main reason avoiding the "vanilla" built in recording-function is the real resolution. my thoughts are, it's lost while transcoding from raw to small-jpg, because we know/see that ml-raw with whole sensor isnt that blurry as the vanilla-recording.

i dont know, if the raw->jpg-transcoding-process is hardwired or coded..
[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

1%

Its in state objects. So if you fed the raw buffer to the 2in2out jpeg and saved the output it would probably work. How to do this manually with so many parameters is anyone's guess.

chmee

thx 1%. months ago i tried to scribble a kind of module chain to understand, where's what function and why some ideas wont work.

* does something like this exist already?
* corrections by the team..

[size=2]phreekz * blog * twitter[/size]

OtakuTechie

Sorry for late replay, I stooped checking my thread months ago for replay and just saw it today.(Zombie thread if you will)
Thanks for all your replays on giving me the info. Thanks again.