5D3 1.2.1 firmware build likely any time soon?

Started by Chalk, August 01, 2013, 09:00:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chalk

Hi everyone.  I've just got the Mark III and have been looking into Magic Lantern which obviously looks quite awesome.  Seeing how i've just got the camera though i'm ok for now just learning how to use it and get comfortable with the features it has at present before upgrading it and getting all the benefits of raw. 

I'm just curious as to whether a 1.2.1 compatible version is on the horizon? I'm aware that it only works on 1.1.3 at the moment and will downgrade if necessary when the time comes but i imagine newer versions are being released quite often and i'm not in a massive rush :)

Cheers

Chalk

No one has any info on this at all? Would be good to know if a 1.2.1 version is worth waiting for at all or not, in which case i'll just downgrade to 1.1.3 right now!

Redrocks

I doubt we will see a 1.2.1 version before raw, dual ISO, .mlv and the other recent developments have been exhausted. The existing features of ML seem to outweigh the need for 1.2.1 for most of the other 5d3 guys and I know from my own experience that I very rarely have to go into the Canon menu to do anything now.

Chalk

Thanks for the reply Redrocks!  Guess i'll downgrade and then.  Is the 5d mk III version considered pretty much stable now then? Heard of anyone having issues with it? Obviously its a new cam for me so don't want to risk destroying it at all so soon!

nigel

It is stable. In the sense that I didn't get any freezes. Everything worked normally. And I too downgraded to use ML the same day I bought the camera. Just be sure to follow the instructions to the letter and it should be fine. Do note the bootloader cannot be switched off and the camera will take slightly longer to start up. Not very noticeable though.

stef

Quote from: Redrocks on August 04, 2013, 02:35:08 PM
I doubt we will see a 1.2.1 version before raw, dual ISO, .mlv and the other recent developments have been exhausted. The existing features of ML seem to outweigh the need for 1.2.1 for most of the other 5d3 guys and I know from my own experience that I very rarely have to go into the Canon menu to do anything now.
Dang, I do a lot of still photography, and like the ability to focus at f/8 along with the focus speed updates the new firmware brought. The 4:2:2 output without overlays is obviously awesome, too.

We certainly can appreciate the amount of work that goes into this. I might have to start contributing to it myself :D

edit: wow, this was really my first post? huh.

Chalk

Damn. I've accidentally posted a troll question! :o

But seriously after reading more on the forum the past 2 days I totally understand about the effort people are putting in, even to get the Mk III 1.1.3 version to a stable release.  Which kind of brings me to a small follow up question...  I ran into this tutorial for installing ML on the Mk III >>>  http://www.eoshd.com/content/10352/easier-5d-mark-iii-raw-guide-in-4-steps

Is this a legit way of doing it? Seems like he's using the default build off the EOScard utility which i thought was only for Mk II? 

Almost installed it yesterday but then got a bit confused with what seems like 3 different ways of doing it.  As far as i can tell (in simple terms) you make an SD card bootable using EOScard - install firmware in camera - get enablebootflag msg - then just restart and hit trashcan button. 

Fender

the problem is , new lenses is coming or arrived yet. f.e. the 24-70 II , etc. With the 1.1.3 firmware , the 5DIII does not recognize this new lenses , and we cant use any features on the cam like "automatic vignetting correction", Chromatic aberration correction, etc,etc. That´s a big problem...but...

tron

Quote from: Fender on November 07, 2013, 06:10:06 PM
the problem is , new lenses is coming or arrived yet. f.e. the 24-70 II , etc. With the 1.1.3 firmware , the 5DIII does not recognize this new lenses , and we cant use any features on the cam like "automatic vignetting correction", Chromatic aberration correction, etc,etc. That´s a big problem...but...
The corrections apply to jpegs only, not to raw files. You can apply similar corrections to the raw files using the updated (with Canon lens profiles) Canon DPP or Adobe ACR software. Even more: Information about "automatic vignetting correction" (= peripheral illumination correction per Canon terminology) information is not stored in firmware but transferred to Camera with the use of EOS Utility. So all you have to do is to upgrade EOS Utility, connect the camera to PC using USB cable and transfer the profiles you need. There is a limit (20,30,40 profiles, something like that I do not remember the exact number). This way peripheral illumination correction is available for jpegs straight from the camera even with older firmware.

anthonynohtna

I want to shoot RAW onto my Atomos Ninja 2. This should be possible once 1.2.1 comes out correct? (I need 1.2.1 canon firmware to run the Ninja now)

Stedda

5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

Audionut

Quote from: anthonynohtna on January 09, 2014, 04:36:34 AM
Even if they update the firmware?

I suspect clairvoyance isn't a strong point of many users!

jpaana

Quote from: Fender on November 07, 2013, 06:10:06 PM

In-camera lens profiles can be updated/added/removed with EOS Utility regardless of firmware version, I have 1.1.3 and 24-70 II is detected just fine.

Audionut

The answer to this question can now be considered yes, sometime soon.