How do I use RAW video files in Premiere?

Started by rpagliari, August 01, 2013, 03:55:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rpagliari

I've got ML to work on my 5DMIII. Premiere does not allow me to import such RAW files. Do I need to convert such RAW files to some other format or is there a plugin for Premiere?

vikado

Quote from: rpagliari on August 01, 2013, 03:55:28 AM
I've got ML to work on my 5DMIII. Premiere does not allow me to import such RAW files. Do I need to convert such RAW files to some other format or is there a plugin for Premiere?
you dont import the actual .raw file into premiere, you'll need the adobe dng importer for CS5.5, but it works for cs6 and CC.
even when you do import your DNG sequence (folder) intor premiere, the realtime playback is a joke.
ironically, it plays back perfectly in Resolve.

In other words, you dont use premiere to import DNG folders or raw files, you'll want to use proxies files of those same DNg folders.
there are several routes to accomplish this.
5d2 user

legreve

Quote from: vikado on August 01, 2013, 05:35:02 AM
you dont import the actual .raw file into premiere, you'll need the adobe dng importer for CS5.5, but it works for cs6 and CC.
even when you do import your DNG sequence (folder) intor premiere, the realtime playback is a joke.
ironically, it plays back perfectly in Resolve.

In other words, you dont use premiere to import DNG folders or raw files, you'll want to use proxies files of those same DNg folders.
there are several routes to accomplish this.

Let's kill that incorrect information right away......

YES, you can import raw files into Premiere if you want to and have the hardware to handle the rendering.

The way to do it is downloading the Ginger HDR plugin for both Premiere and After Effects and then simply import the .raw files into Premiere or AE just like  you would any other files.

This is the ONLY way I've done it so far... I really couldn't be arsed to first extract DNGs then do this and do that and then return to this to edit those.

If a straight line works, I don't see any issue sticking to it.

Also, there was another tip from another user; copy the Ginger plugin to the Media Encoder file folders, the you can use Media Encoder to render out ProRes files etc. (Only issue here is that you can handle the white point.... but hey, if you are a photographer you set your color temp before you start shooting... right.........)

vikado

Quote from: legreve on August 01, 2013, 08:02:15 AM
Let's kill that incorrect information right away......

YES, you can import raw files into Premiere if you want to and have the hardware to handle the rendering.

The way to do it is downloading the Ginger HDR plugin for both Premiere and After Effects and then simply import the .raw files into Premiere or AE just like  you would any other files.

This is the ONLY way I've done it so far... I really couldn't be arsed to first extract DNGs then do this and do that and then return to this to edit those.

If a straight line works, I don't see any issue sticking to it.

Also, there was another tip from another user; copy the Ginger plugin to the Media Encoder file folders, the you can use Media Encoder to render out ProRes files etc. (Only issue here is that you can handle the white point.... but hey, if you are a photographer you set your color temp before you start shooting... right.........)
i never said it wasn't possible. and what i said was not incorrect.
i was giving him the option of using a plugin that is free and without the need to upgrade his computer drastically to playback RAW in real time. Not to mention the added effect of colorgrading and other effects that will substantially brutalize your cpu/ram for playback.
i actually did a test where i replaced my raw footage with an old premiere file where i edited a short film.
the original files were 10bit cineform codec and it played in realtime just fine with 5 layers of effects added to the clips (it was a 15min short). i applied those same effects to raw footage, and how it turned out was a total joke, i couldn't playback in real time, not even 1/8 res.

so my suggested option is free and is very common workflow in post production, your suggestions costs hundreds of dollars just  to playback raw in real time.

QuoteI really couldn't be arsed to first extract DNGs then do this and do that and then return to this to edit those.
you really should try it out. the workflow isn't as time consuming as you thought to be. and at least you'll appreciate why this workflow is awesome for any level production.
5d2 user